AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

Girly mon drink

Justified, like Blue Bloods, requires a fine bottle of Jack Daniels or a six of beer by your side to truly integrate into the story. Jack on the rocks is my choice. With Lindsey the bartender on the side, so to speak.

OK, ya got me there, I bow to your superior drinking knowledge, sir....

Jack and a fine Amber Ale (NO, not PBR...we have more class on this forum than that) is perfect for Justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Just got a new bottle of Black Maple Hill myself.

I am not sure if I can find it here in Oregon....the state controls and stocks all the liquor stores.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 3254 Old 04-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
"holy **** it's a piggy bank!"

What a finale. Hat's off to the writers for being willing to kill off a likable character like trooper Tom even if it's an unpopular thing to do for many reasons. (I'm looking at you, True Blood for pandering to the masses by not being willing to cut popular characters out). The twist with Arlo / Boyd at the end was powerful stuff - especially "the man in a hat" bit.

Can't wait for next season ... Again.
post #1503 of 3254 Old 04-10-2012, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 357
The writers did not let that play out in any way that seemed predictable. Good for them.

Great opening with Wynn in full on panic mode and Quarles demise was as shocking as it was unexpected. The wrist-gun was not a factor in any way. Surprisingly low body count too.

But boy, that was a somber and downbeat ending as Raylan finally sees how deep the gulf is between his father and himself, as Arlo chooses Boyd over Raylan with a bullet.

post #1504 of 3254 Old 04-10-2012, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Limehouse was pretty good w/ the meat cleaver on Quarle's arm. Ouch!

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #1505 of 3254 Old 04-10-2012, 10:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Surprisingly low body count too.

And that was unfortunate.

Quote:

But boy, that was a somber and downbeat ending as Raylan finally sees how deep the gulf is between his father and himself, as Arlo chooses Boyd over Raylan with a bullet.

The only bright spot of the season-ender.

WAY too predictable, WAY too by-the-numbers episode....easily the worst episode of the season.

post #1506 of 3254 Old 04-10-2012, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I thought there was a lot there. Raylan's "interrogation" of Wynn. Boyd actually caring for Arlo. The foreshadowing of Arlo's shooting of trooper Tom. Raylan letting Quarles take the tainted gun back. Limehouse wrapping things up. Quarles "disarmed." Raylan's holding Quarles' arm away from Quarles when he reached for it (a great moment). Discovery of Johnny's betrayal. Eva showing that she is not exactly an innocent, that she will do anything to protect Boyd and that she apparently trusts Johnny. Raylan's realization why Arlo shot Trooper Tom.

Only thing I didn't like was Raylan's voice over at the end. Total change of tone/perspective that the series has never had before and wasn't needed.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #1507 of 3254 Old 04-10-2012, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

Only thing I didn't like was Raylan's voice over at the end. Total change of tone/perspective that the series has never had before and wasn't needed.

That wasn't a voiceover, it was Raylan in scene talking to Winona.

post #1508 of 3254 Old 04-10-2012, 11:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I hope Dickie didn't join his mom and brothers so we get to see him again next season.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #1509 of 3254 Old 04-10-2012, 11:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I thought there was a lot there. Raylan's "interrogation" of Wynn. Boyd actually caring for Arlo. The foreshadowing of Arlo's shooting of trooper Tom. Raylan letting Quarles take the tainted gun back. Limehouse wrapping things up. Quarles "disarmed." Raylan's holding Quarles' arm away from Quarles when he reached for it (a great moment). Discovery of Johnny's betrayal. Eva showing that she is not exactly an innocent, that she will do anything to protect Boyd and that she apparently trusts Johnny. Raylan's realization why Arlo shot Trooper Tom.

I thought most of it was very anti-climatic; much of it we had guessed or speculated on during the last week.

No real surprises for me....

post #1510 of 3254 Old 04-11-2012, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I thought most of it was very anti-climatic; much of it we had guessed or speculated on during the last week.

Sorry, I don't see any evidence of that. Nobody reckoned Limehouse would be the one to take out Quarles, especially by slicing off his arm or guessed Limehouse kept the money in the pig carcasses.

We didn't have any discussion of the fact that Johnny was colluding with Limehouse to take down Boyd either and there was only a vague supposition that Arlo may have fired the shot and the idea that he thought he was shooting Raylan never even occurred. Arlo taking the fall when it was almost solid that Boyd might be back in prison was a last minute play too.

Most people were expecting a standoff with Quarles and the wrist-gun malfunctioning. Instead that was played early and it barely resonated with Raylan. The writers were also ahead of the audience by having Quarles pull the backup from Raylan too which meant in this episode Raylan never fired a single shot. That in itself was against the grain of the show.

post #1511 of 3254 Old 04-11-2012, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 176
I had a dream last night I was Raylan and the bad guy wanted me to help cover up his death by faking his death. So I threw him out the window, but it turned out to be a fake body. I thought, to cover it up, I should throw a table out the window after him. I filled out all the paperwork and everything was going good except the supernatural characters from the TV show Grimm showed up and their abilities revealed to the chief that I faked my reports, and the whole thing was blowing up in my face. Then the alarm went off and I woke up.

Man that was weird, I think I watch to much TV.

post #1512 of 3254 Old 04-11-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

And that was unfortunate.

The only bright spot of the season-ender.

WAY too predictable, WAY too by-the-numbers episode....easily the worst episode of the season.

Hmm...I thought it was the best episode of the series Seeing tough guy Raylon shaken by the choice Arlo made and trying to deny it changed anything but unable to. Reaching out to his ex, probably the most vulnerable he's ever been, with even her so stunned she doesn't know what to say...the brutal (and perfect!) way Quarrels was taken care of...the obvious deep love between Eva and Boyd as well as the closeness between Boyd and Arlo, in sharp contrast to the turmoil in Raylon's life...our hero hurt and confused, Limehouse almost heroic...predictable? Sorry you didn't like it oink. I loved it.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #1513 of 3254 Old 04-11-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Good to see Winnona again. Man is she hot.
Loved the twist with Arlo shooting the cop in a hat.
Ava can't be beating on "the talent" though. Could hurt revenue.
I miss Tom, a favorite character. Great Dad for his kids.
Johnny, we hardly knew ye.
post #1514 of 3254 Old 04-11-2012, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

No real surprises for me....

You're apparently smarter than all the critics and recappers on the interweb; none that I read complained about the predicability of the finale. Keeping the show unpredictable is something the writers have worked very hard to achieve; they have seldom settled for the easy out. Congratulations on your perceptive powers and I'm sorry that it ruined your viewing experience.
post #1515 of 3254 Old 04-11-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Really great finale. A multi-"oh, no, he didn't" episode.

Quick question: did Errol return because he saw Raylan and Quarles in the van and knew something was going down or for another reason? Was he still that loyal to Limehouse even though he was exiled by him?
post #1516 of 3254 Old 04-11-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

Quick question: did Errol return because he saw Raylan and Quarles in the van and knew something was going down or for another reason? Was he still that loyal to Limehouse even though he was exiled by him?

My take was that Limehouse blamed him for much of the mess, and he felt responsible. Thus he felt obligated to see if he could help.
post #1517 of 3254 Old 04-11-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Nobody reckoned Limehouse would be the one to take out Quarles, especially by slicing off his arm or guessed Limehouse kept the money in the pig carcasses.

Limehouse wasn't capable of doing the deed?
Hmmmmmm.....
Was anyone surprised Lime wouldn't eventually USE that meat cleaver rather than merely threaten with it?

Money in the pig?
REALLY?

Quote:

We didn't have any discussion of the fact that Johnny was colluding with Limehouse to take down Boyd either

We didn't, but who is surprised Johnny hadn't forgiven Boyd?

Quote:

there was only a vague supposition that Arlo may have fired the shot

See posts# 1462 & 1470 (where speculation of Arlo's current frame of mind made him capable of killing).

Quote:

the idea that he thought he was shooting Raylan never even occurred.

True.

Quote:

Arlo taking the fall when it was almost solid that Boyd might be back
in prison was a last minute play too.

Boyd is too important to the show to "rot in prison," the show-runners would never allow it.

Quote:

The writers were also ahead of the audience by having Quarles pull the backup from Raylan too which meant in this episode Raylan never fired a single shot. That in itself was against the grain of the show.

Raylan can't shoot someone every show.
Raylan is a federal U.S. Marshall, how long would it take for the character to lose its Suspension of Disbelief?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Seeing tough guy Raylon shaken by the choice Arlo made and trying to deny it changed anything but unable to. Reaching out to his ex, probably the most vulnerable he's ever been, with even her so stunned she doesn't know what to say...

That WAS very well done IMO.

Quote:

the obvious deep love between Eva and Boyd as well as the closeness between Boyd and Arlo, in sharp contrast to the turmoil in Raylon's life....

And that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandron View Post

You're apparently smarter than all the critics and recappers on the interweb; none that I read complained about the predicability of the finale.

I don't form my opinions based on what any critic's (or anyone else, for that matter) opinion might be.
My opinions are my own.

post #1518 of 3254 Old 04-11-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

My take was that Limehouse blamed him for much of the mess, and he felt responsible. Thus he felt obligated to see if he could help.

That, and it's his way of getting back on Limehouse's good side.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #1519 of 3254 Old 04-11-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

Limehouse wasn't capable of doing the deed?
Hmmmmmm.....
Was anyone surprised Lime wouldn't eventually USE that meat cleaver rather than merely threaten with it?

It was only a matter of time. Limehouse seems to be a lot of bark without much bite. Probably how someone stays alive.

Money in the pig?
REALLY?

Is it because of your username? I hear porkbellies are a good investment. I wonder how the interest rate is in "piggy banks" (Quarles wasn't so messed up that he couldn't enjoy a joke).

We didn't, but who is surprised Johnny hadn't forgiven Boyd?

Kinda knew that but he also had foiled Devil's plan and saved Boyd so that was a bit of a twist.

See posts# 1462 & 1470 (where speculation of Arlo's current frame of mind made him capable of killing).

True but he seemed out of his mind rather than determined.

True.

That was the big kicker in the show.

Boyd is too important to the show to "rot in prison," the show-runners would never allow it.

Boyd has been in prison several times in the show. I wasn't really sure that Boyd would go down for the killing anyway without someone testifying that it was Boyd who did the shooting or finding the gun with Boyd's fingerprints. This just speeded up the inevitable. I didn't see it as a deus ex machina because Arlo's willingness to go down for Boyd made the ultimate pain for Raylan even worse -- as Boyd told Raylan, Arlo was "family."

Raylan can't shoot someone every show.
Raylan is a federal U.S. Marshall, how long would it take for the character to lose its Suspension of Disbelief?

With all the shootings he's done before, if you haven't suspended belief by now, what the heck?

That WAS very well done IMO.

And that too.

I don't form my opinions based on what any critic's (or anyone else, for that matter) opinion might be.
My opinions are my own.

My brainwashing has apparently worked like a charm!

See above.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #1520 of 3254 Old 04-11-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

See above.

And, no, you're brainwashing hasn't worked........................yet.

BTW, pork bellies are a LOUSY investment (but a great way to get rid of annoying relatives).

post #1521 of 3254 Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 AM

Liked: 10
IMO, this season had some high quality episodes and interesting characters. Liked Quarles and Limehouse. But found the story thread a little confusing down toward the end. Didn't hang together as well as Mags and the boys last year. But still one of the best dramas on TV.

Glad we will see more of Boyd next year. That character and his use of language is wonderful.
post #1522 of 3254 Old 04-11-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And that's two posts vaguely alluding to the plot. Where is the discussion for all the other plot directions that you said were discussed in the past week?

Nobody said Limehouse would kill or even pay a part in the death of Quarles. At all.

post #1523 of 3254 Old 04-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 25
One detail, did Raylan let Limehouse hide the cash (which could be Loretta's) or was it taken by the Marshalls? I'm guessing the former. Maybe some of it going to Trooper Tom's widow...
post #1524 of 3254 Old 04-11-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
So, did Robert Quaryles bleed out and expire or did they just leave that an open question...can't say I remember.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #1525 of 3254 Old 04-11-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

So, did Robert Quaryles bleed out and expire or did they just leave that an open question...can't say I remember.

He was shot before his arm was lopped off.
post #1526 of 3254 Old 04-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Given that Arlo thought Helen was badgering him, could his shooting of whom he thought was Raylan, be an act of revenge against Helen since Helen always favored Raylan?
post #1527 of 3254 Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Did Boyd manipulate Arlo into taking the fall? Starting last week when Arlo called Boyd "Raylan," there have been several scenes where Boyd was kind of kissing up to Arlo, and of course the Boyd/Raylan conversation of "family." I'm sensing a plot thread for next season there.

Interesting how the writers keep pushing, and now almost defining, the "brotherly" aspect of the Boyd/Raylan relationship.

The "hat" line hit me like punch to the stomach - heartbreaking.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #1528 of 3254 Old 04-11-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 469
The season finale was a gut shot. This was the darkest episode of Justified we have yet seen, by a bunch. It was so sad and so shocking, I was just about as shaken by events as Raylan had been. Seeing the odious Quarles maimed was a nice touch. Even if Quarles survives, he will be a one armed cripple spending the rest of his life in prison and that's a Good Thing, it seems to me. Just deserts and all that. I will miss Quarles. He was a guy we just loved to hate.
post #1529 of 3254 Old 04-11-2012, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is it too much of a stretch to think that the writers were giving a nod to The Fugitive? That is, U.S. Marshals chasing Quarles, who by episode's end would be a one-armed man.

I loved the episode, particularly Raylan's vulnerability, both physically and emotionally. In both the showdown with Limehouse and what happened with his father, he was overwhelmed and placed into situations that he couldn't shoot himself out of, either with a gun or with a witty comeback. Olyphant's performance was magnificent as someone who may be really struggling underneath that usually unflappable exterior; you could really see him at times boiling underneath or perhaps about to lose it or just really not sure what to do. The whole "man with a hat" thing was just stellar writing.

But I think the most heartbreaking thing for me is Ava's descent. At the beginning of the series, she was this sweet Southern honey who fought back against an abusive husband. Now she's a ruthless pimp who slaps around her working girls. Talk about a girl gone wild (in a very bad way)

Always nice to see Raylan's hot baby mama. I'd been missing her and her overbite.

I was happy to see in the "Previously on" segment Wynn's description of Quarles' "big stupid baby head." Made me LOL all over again.

I don't post here much (I enjoy reading other people's thoughts), but on this finale, I just had to post. It was a good one.
post #1530 of 3254 Old 04-11-2012, 11:44 AM

Liked: 11
I especially enjoyed Winona's realization as Raylan walked out with his hat on.. just who it was that Arlo was really after!
A five star ending.

HAH Big stupid baby head
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnQxW...feature=relmfu

Also rather ironic that one of Quarles' first lines to Raylan were "I'm unarmed"!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page