post #151 of 3268 Old 04-14-2010, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

That sounds good. You caught the second airing.

1st airing. They had a movie on during the regular time slot.

EDIT: reading back I see comments about it being on at 10. I have FiOS and the guide had it starting first-run at 11:02 and recorded it correctly.

ISF calibrated by Eliab - and lovin' it!

My DVD Profiler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 3268 Old 04-14-2010, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxman View Post

1st airing. They had a movie on during the regular time slot.

EDIT: reading back I see comments about it being on at 10. I have FiOS and the guide had it starting first-run at 11:02 and recorded it correctly.

Right, but it was also on at 10:02ish, without a proper listing on the FIOS guide. The only way to have caught that one was to do it manually or to record the Transporter movie. Just to keep kicking this dead horse, since they had the movie listed as ending at 11, it was listed in a small window on the FIOS guide as starting at 11and this 11 pm start was listed as ending 11:02. You might not have noticed this since it was a small window on the guide and difficult to lock on to.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #153 of 3268 Old 04-15-2010, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Episode Total(Millions) HH A18-49
1-01 4.151 2.6/5 1.5/5
1-02 3.536 2.2/4 1.4/4
1-03 2.308 1.4/2 0.9/3
1-04 2.100 1.4/2 0.9/2
1-05 2.407 1.5/3 0.9/3
post #154 of 3268 Old 04-15-2010, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
This show has fallen to 1.5 ratings.
post #155 of 3268 Old 04-15-2010, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Another way to look at it, the show had it's best ratings since the second episode!
post #156 of 3268 Old 04-15-2010, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
It's leveled out which is good.
post #157 of 3268 Old 04-15-2010, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

I wish this show was good. I like Olyphant and his character fine but the show as a whole is weak.
post #158 of 3268 Old 04-15-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbass View Post

I wish this show was good. I like Olyphant and his character fine but the show as a whole is weak.

You're either going to be into the pacing and characterization or not. As has been stated, they are staying pretty faithful to the feel of the Elmore Leonard stories. The characters don't act in typical formula TV patterns. My wife and I find it refreshing...some won't. I hope it finds enough of an audience to develop this quirky series.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #159 of 3268 Old 04-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

You're either going to be into the pacing and characterization or not. As has been stated, they are staying pretty faithful to the feel of the Elmore Leonard stories. The characters don't act in typical formula TV patterns. My wife and I find it refreshing...some won't. I hope it finds enough of an audience to develop this quirky series.

I'm all for quirky and different as long as they don't forget to make characters interesting. I like Olyphants character, love Walt Goggin's character, there's just not enough of him. I can't stand the cookie cutter characters of Marshall boss and the black female partner. Also, I thought this was based on one EL short story or something.
post #160 of 3268 Old 04-15-2010, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Ron -- I agree. As we have seen from some of the posts here, some posters just don't get Elmore Leonard. That's all right, though. They are entitled to their opinions and, anyway, we didn't take them to raise.
post #161 of 3268 Old 04-16-2010, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Watched this week's episode last night and I'm enjoying the show more and more. His dad offers a lot to the show. Interesting to see how the dad of the guy they shot in the pilot plays into it and if he really does come after Eva.
post #162 of 3268 Old 04-16-2010, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Watched this week's episode last night and I'm enjoying the show more and more. His dad offers a lot to the show. Interesting to see how the dad of the guy they shot in the pilot plays into it and if he really does come after Eva.

I have enjoyed Raylan's father, and his stepmother, too. I liked the way this week's episode played out. It ended with a bittersweet twist that I thought was effective. What worries me most about Justified is that it's another show, which, despite my loving it, may be too smart and non-formulaic for its own good. The part of this week's episode with Raylan's father and stepmother was a good example.
post #163 of 3268 Old 04-17-2010, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I really want to like this show because of Raylan, but I'm concerned that the locale is leading them to repetitive plots. They've been importing out-of-town Yankees from the beginning for some reason, I guess because the Kentucky angle is just too limited.
post #164 of 3268 Old 04-17-2010, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Love the show. Raylan and the Elmore Leonard remarkably true to style dialog are the high points. Some of the peripheral characters such as the black female partner are weak at best. Unlike others I'm not a fan of the dad gone bad storyline at all. Preferred the 1st couple episodes and the dentist gone wild stories by far.
post #165 of 3268 Old 04-19-2010, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

Unlike others I'm not a fan of the dad gone bad storyline at all. Preferred the 1st couple episodes and the dentist gone wild stories by far.

Same here. I thought this episode was very weak in comparison. The dialog was lacking spark, the tone one-note and I don't feel any chemistry at all whenever Raylan and the woman are on screen having their night time conversations.

post #166 of 3268 Old 04-19-2010, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I was born and raised in Kentucky, so the "this place sucks" mantra gets old quickly. Kentucky features some beautiful locales, some brilliant people, and some great events, along with the few but all-too-stereotypical shoeless hicks in the hills.

But I am enjoying the series for the most part. The mood is just right, and the dialog is entertaining.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #167 of 3268 Old 04-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

I was born and raised in Kentucky, so the "this place sucks" mantra gets old quickly. Kentucky features some beautiful locales, some brilliant people, and some great events, along with the few but all-too-stereotypical shoeless hicks in the hills.

But I am enjoying the series for the most part. The mood is just right, and the dialog is entertaining.

But really, if you show was just "Kentuckiens are just like everyone else", would that be compelling television?
post #168 of 3268 Old 04-19-2010, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

Love the show. Raylan and the Elmore Leonard remarkably true to style dialog are the high points. Some of the peripheral characters such as the black female partner are weak at best. Unlike others I'm not a fan of the dad gone bad storyline at all. Preferred the 1st couple episodes and the dentist gone wild stories by far.

As noted in my last post, I enjoyed the interplay among Raylan, his father, and his stepmother. Nevertheless, I agree that the episode with the dentist cum fugitive on the run show was even better. The closer the show stays to the tone of Elmore Leonard's stories the better it is, it seems to me.
post #169 of 3268 Old 04-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

The closer the show stays to the tone of Elmore Leonard's stories the better it is, it seems to me.

Have you read the two novels about Raylan or the novella Fire In the Hole the pilot is based on? I just finished reading them and I don't really find that the tone matches the books. I realize they are not following any of the plot lines or stories in the books, but maybe they should have.
post #170 of 3268 Old 04-19-2010, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Have you read the two novels about Raylan or the novella Fire In the Hole the pilot is based on? I just finished reading them and I don't really find that the tone matches the books. I realize they are not following any of the plot lines or stories in the books, but maybe they should have.

I have, indeed, read them. I think the show captures the tone of Leonard's work in that even the bad guys, although they certainly are bad, are also charming and amazingly articulate, despite the horrifying things they often do. I've lost count of how many of those we have seen this season, the dentist on the run being only the most recent example. Are you sure you aren't confusing the plots of the stories, which are largely different in this show, with the bulk of the characters, who certainly are not? Even Leonard's good guys are not that good, think The Hot Kid, Carl Webster; the show's version of Raylan fits that profile.
post #171 of 3268 Old 04-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have, indeed, read them. I think the show captures the tone of Leonard's work in that even the bad guys, although they certainly are bad, are also charming and amazingly articulate, despite the horrifying things they often do. I've lost count of how many of those we have seen this season, the dentist on the run being only the most recent example. Are you sure you aren't confusing the plots of the stories, which are largely different in this show, with the bulk of the characters, who certainly are not? Even Leonard's good guys are not that good, think The Hot Kid, Carl Webster; the show's version of Raylan fits that profile.

No, I'm well aware the stories aren't the same. Maybe I just don't see the characters on Justified as being as developed or unique as you do. I read a ton of authors. I read more than I watch TV. Bad guys that are charming and articulate are pretty common in books. They are not that common in tv shows and movies for some reason. They are almost always portrayed as 100% evil with no redeeming qualities. And again, good guys not being entirely good is another device used in novels. I think this show so far is pretty forgettable though I did like the dentist episode. I believe there have been at least two bad guy characters that wanted to get out of Kentucky but didn't have enough money or some such nonsense. I'll continue to watch this show though and hope that it improves.
post #172 of 3268 Old 04-19-2010, 07:53 PM

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite shows. I think I have a man crush on Raylan.
post #173 of 3268 Old 04-20-2010, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No, I'm well aware the stories aren't the same. Maybe I just don't see the characters on Justified as being as developed or unique as you do. I read a ton of authors. I read more than I watch TV. Bad guys that are charming and articulate are pretty common in books. They are not that common in tv shows and movies for some reason. They are almost always portrayed as 100% evil with no redeeming qualities. And again, good guys not being entirely good is another device used in novels. I think this show so far is pretty forgettable though I did like the dentist episode. I believe there have been at least two bad guy characters that wanted to get out of Kentucky but didn't have enough money or some such nonsense. I'll continue to watch this show though and hope that it improves.

I read constantly, too. The authors who immediately come to mind when I think of Leonard are Michael Connolly and the late great, Robert B. Parker. As much as I admire both Connolly and Parker's books, I have never thought that either wrote characters, particularly bad guys, who were as charming and unpredictably vicious as Leonard's. Nevertheless, I agree that a lot of authors in addition to Leonard do a good job of writing bad boy protagonists, of which Connolly's Harry Bosch and Parker's Spenser are prime examples. By the way, did we ever learn Spenser's first name?
post #174 of 3268 Old 04-20-2010, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I love Kentucky, without it, no BOURBON...

Decent show too..

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #175 of 3268 Old 04-20-2010, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonoughDawg View Post

I love Kentucky, without it, no BOURBON...

Oh, you'd still have it. It would just be called "whiskey".
post #176 of 3268 Old 04-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

By the way, did we ever learn Spenser's first name?

Unfortunately no. I think I read an interview where Parker himself said he didn't know either. I have read every Parker book his written. I think there may be one more Spenser book coming out that he had completed before his death. Michael Connelly is great, Robert Crais has really come along in the last several years. Dennis Lehane is somebody you should read for great characters that are neither all good or all bad. He's best known for Mystic River and now Shutter Island but the series that Features Pat Kenzie is my favorite work of his. They made the movie Gone Baby Gone a few years ago based on the novel from this series. Not a bad movie but did not capture the feel of the book at all. There are a ton of other authors I love as well. Not the place to talk about them here I guess.

Anyway, Justified is a watchable show. Hopefully it will grow into something great. I will continue to watch either way.
post #177 of 3268 Old 04-20-2010, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I enjoyed tonight's ep. The blender comment was funny.
post #178 of 3268 Old 04-21-2010, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I was just going to comment on that. May I say those terms here on avs?
"Honestly, I'd rather stick my dick in a blender."
ha
post #179 of 3268 Old 04-21-2010, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

I love this show. Great ep for sure last night!
post #180 of 3268 Old 04-21-2010, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The dialog is awesome! I really hope this show sticks around.

"There are other things than smart." Classic.

Art
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page