"Justified" on FX HD - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 3246 Old 05-20-2010, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
My wife gave up on Deadwood because she thought Al Swearingen was a comedic character. All his cussing just made her laugh the entire time so she bailed on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 3246 Old 05-20-2010, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

My wife gave up on Deadwood because she thought Al Swearingen was a comedic character. All his cussing just made her laugh the entire time so she bailed on it.

The thing about all that cussin' in 'Deadwood' that many don't understand was that it was authentic. David Milch did tons of research into that period. He read books, letters, official correspondence, anything written down that survived. He then wove it organically into an almost Shakespearian cadence that was a real pleasure to listen to. It was poetic. It was brilliant.

They spoke differently back then, and that formality was incorporated into the dialog. But profanity has a long and durable history. There's a reason why it has survived and thrived since the birth of spoken language itself. In the case of 'Deadwood', it all worked to create this gritty, authentic tapestry that just felt real. If it was indeed Milch that pulled the plug rather than HBO (and we may never know the whole story), then it was a poorly thought-out decision. Like it or not, 'Deadwood' will probably go down as his magnum opus. Someday, if not already, he's going to regret not being able to finish it. Anybody who doesn't see it, or bailed early because of all that cussin', doesn't know what they missed.
post #243 of 3246 Old 05-20-2010, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

... Anybody who doesn't see it, or bailed early because of all that cussin', doesn't know what they missed.

I was about to queue it up on Netflix but it isn't on Blu Ray? That was a surprise. I am a snob like that, can't help itwhen it comes to HD I'll wait, as long as there is any indication that something will be out in a better format. If there's no chance of it happening then I'll dive in.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #244 of 3246 Old 05-20-2010, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

I was about to queue it up on Netflix but it isn't on Blu Ray? That was a surprise. I am a snob like that, can't help itwhen it comes to HD I'll wait, as long as there is any indication that something will be out in a better format. If there's no chance of it happening then I'll dive in.

I know. I've been waiting on HBO to issue 'John From Cincinnati' in BD but it hasn't happened yet. Don't know if they will; they've given no hint. If not, I'd go ahead and buy the DVD version, cue it up, and hold my nose.
post #245 of 3246 Old 05-20-2010, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

No it's not on Blu Ray yet
post #246 of 3246 Old 05-20-2010, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

I know. I've been waiting on HBO to issue 'John From Cincinnati' in BD but it hasn't happened yet. Don't know if they will; they've given no hint. If not, I'd go ahead and buy the DVD version, cue it up, and hold my nose.

"John From Cincinnati," the reason Deadwood died. It might have been the best show ever on TV, but Milch p-ed too many people off by killing Deadwood to do a overage surfer series that never had the ratings because many people like me wouldn't give it a chance because of the Deadwood mess. I refused then and I refuse now to watch it. Sorry.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #247 of 3246 Old 05-20-2010, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

The thing about all that cussin' in 'Deadwood' that many don't understand was that it was authentic. David Milch did tons of research into that period. He read books, letters, official correspondence, anything written down that survived. He then wove it organically into an almost Shakespearian cadence that was a real pleasure to listen to. It was poetic. It was brilliant.

They spoke differently back then, and that formality was incorporated into the dialog. But profanity has a long and durable history. There's a reason why it has survived and thrived since the birth of spoken language itself. In the case of 'Deadwood', it all worked to create this gritty, authentic tapestry that just felt real. If it was indeed Milch that pulled the plug rather than HBO (and we may never know the whole story), then it was a poorly thought-out decision. Like it or not, 'Deadwood' will probably go down as his magnum opus. Someday, if not already, he's going to regret not being able to finish it. Anybody who doesn't see it, or bailed early because of all that cussin', doesn't know what they missed.

But did they really use authentic swearing? According to Wikipedia (yeah, I know) they modernized it for our ears:
Quote:

From its debut, Deadwood has drawn attention for its use of extremely explicit, modern profanity, especially among the more coarse characters. It is a deliberate anachronism on the part of the creator with a twofold intent. Milch has explained in several interviews and on the DVD commentary tracks that the characters were originally intended to use period slang and swear words. Such words, however, were based heavily on the era's deep religious roots and tended to be more blasphemous than scatological. Instead of being shockingly crude (in keeping with the tone of a frontier mining camp), the results sounded downright comical. As one commentator put it " if you put words like 'goldarn' into the mouths of the characters on 'Deadwood', they'd all wind up sounding like Yosemite Sam."[7]

Back to Justified, I'm surprised at how much this show has gotten under my skin. The naturalness of the characters and situations give it so much more a real feel than the endless CSI shows...

Robert Clark
post #248 of 3246 Old 05-20-2010, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't know that Milch used profanity [in Deadwood] that didn't exist at the time, rather he didn't use terms that modern audiences wouldn't recognize, or would sound silly as the Wiki article suggests. I know the "f-word" and the "s-word" have been around for a long, long time, and he made liberal use of every permutation of them he could find.
post #249 of 3246 Old 05-20-2010, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

Couldn't agree more but not with the Deadwood reference, simply because I haven't (yet?) seen it, hence the underlying reason for the original rant.

You, of all people, must see Deadwood. I believe that it will blow you away. Better yet, it's available on BD at both NF and BB and a lot of BB stores have the BD edition, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I arrived late to the first season of The Shield so never started watching it, but thanks to Amazon giving the complete series away for a bargain $50 (in an awkward but very slick collector book case), I'm looking forward to starting on it during the Summer TV drought.

I'll probably be still catching up with Justified at that point too.

That price for the complete The Shield series DVDs is a bargain. I missed it first run, as a lot of folks missed series that ran on FX in those years. Were it not for the last two seasons being available from NF streaming, I still wouldn't have seen it. After watching the last two seasons via streaming, I got NF to send me the first disc from Season 1 and was blown away. Chiklis as Vic Mackey is established as a murderous rat, albeit a great cop, in the very first episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Same situation with my wife. She really likes Olyphant and is now interested in Deadwood, but everytime she tried to watch it in the past, she ended up leaving. She said, they really didn't talk like that in the Old West. I disagree. I've been in mostly male backwoods settings and potty mouth was definitely on the language menu.

Try to get your wife to understand that profanity was part of the warp and woof of the times, as were filth, disease, and coldblooded murder. Despite the profanity and the subject matter generally, much of Deadwood's dialog is written in a beautiful, even poetic, way. Much of it even scans in iambic pentameter. It is David Milch's masterpiece.
post #250 of 3246 Old 05-25-2010, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

You, of all people, must see Deadwood. I believe that it will blow you away. Better yet, it's available on BD at both NF and BB and a lot of BB stores have the BD edition, too.

That was the first I've heard of Deadwood being available on BD, so I quick went to amazon.com. Guess what? It hasn't been released yet. They have a listing, but no info on a release date.

Are you sure it was HBO's Deadwood that you saw?

Art
post #251 of 3246 Old 05-25-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

That was the first I've heard of Deadwood being available on BD, so I quick went to amazon.com. Guess what? It hasn't been released yet. They have a listing, but no info on a release date.

Are you sure it was HBO's Deadwood that you saw?

Indeed, the last time I was in my neighborhood Blockbuster store and didn't see a Deadwood BD set, I suspected my earlier recollection that there was one had likely been wrong. Sorry about that.
post #252 of 3246 Old 05-26-2010, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Episode Date Total HH A18-49
__#__ Aired Millions ---- ----
1-01 03/16/10 4.151 2.6/5 1.5/5
1-02 03/23/10 3.536 2.2/4 1.4/4
1-03 03/30/10 2.308 1.4/2 0.9/3
1-04 04/06/10 2.100 1.4/2 0.9/2
1-05 04/13/10 2.407 1.5/3 0.9/3
1-06 04/20/10 2.058 1.3/2 0.8/2
1-07 04/27/10 2.257 1.3/2 0.8/2
1-08 05/04/10 2.456 1.6/3 0.9/3
1-09 05/11/10 2.088 1.3/2 0.8/2
1-10 05/18/10 2.082 1.3/2 0.8/2
1-11 05/25/10 1.814 1.1/2 0.7/2
post #253 of 3246 Old 05-27-2010, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Tough night this week to compete against Dancing with the Stars finale, season finales on the CBS shows etc.
post #254 of 3246 Old 06-01-2010, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Great episode tonight.

I liked the bar scene with Arlo and the military dude.
Boyd preaching in the church was interesting.

So the ending.. ha.
post #255 of 3246 Old 06-01-2010, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Time to check back in.

Are they still inventing terms that people in Kentucky don't use? Is the "gun thug" drinking game still going on?
post #256 of 3246 Old 06-01-2010, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Poor Ava. I can't believe next week is the season finale, it's been a great ride. I can't believe how much I like this show. Olyphant is absolutely perfect in the role.

I wonder about one thing, why is Justified always listed as 62 minutes or so, the show always wraps up before the hour is up, they may run a ton of commercials before the scenes from next week's show, but the show seems to always finish in plenty of time.
post #257 of 3246 Old 06-02-2010, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 39
This was a good one. They've really brought all the shows ongoing plot lines together nicely for the finale next week.

The show is very effective when it is driven by the serialized elements, as it has been for the past few eps. I wonder if that will continue next year.
post #258 of 3246 Old 06-02-2010, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Poor Ava.

That random s8x scene was weird. It came out of nowhere for me.

I also liked the part when Ava? brung the shotgun in and threatened Bo. Tough girl
post #259 of 3246 Old 06-03-2010, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Can't believe we're at the season finale already. The show has really gotten better as the season went on.

I don't think the Raylan/Winona sex scene was that random. Winona didn't really want to divorce him, he just wasn't the man she wanted him to be back then. But now that she has Gary who she obviously married for financial reasons, she realizes that she always loved Raylan. THe most interesting part was how she calmly took her rings off when she came in, then when it was over got dressed and put the rings back on and just walked out.

So....what if any major characters eat it next week? At some point Boyd/Bo has to come to a head and someone has to go. Bo is not going to let his kid ruin his business especially now that he blew up a $2 million shipment from the guy in Florida.
post #260 of 3246 Old 06-03-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I thought Justified was a new series getting ready to start!!

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #261 of 3246 Old 06-03-2010, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Can't believe we're at the season finale already. The show has really gotten better as the season went on.

I don't think the Raylan/Winona sex scene was that random. Winona didn't really want to divorce him, he just wasn't the man she wanted him to be back then. But now that she has Gary who she obviously married for financial reasons, she realizes that she always loved Raylan. THe most interesting part was how she calmly took her rings off when she came in, then when it was over got dressed and put the rings back on and just walked out.

So....what if any major characters eat it next week? At some point Boyd/Bo has to come to a head and someone has to go. Bo is not going to let his kid ruin his business especially now that he blew up a $2 million shipment from the guy in Florida.

I'm still on the fence about Boyd's conversion...seems to setup for the long con takeover of Bo's business. I thought the ep was a tad preachy and slow in parts, but it did turn the burners up for the finale. The Winona scene didn't work for my wife. She loves Olyphant and hates her. I thought it was inevitable, but didn't play well for me with no dialog to support it. Arlo is a character, ain't he ? No wonder Raylen can't stand him.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #262 of 3246 Old 06-03-2010, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

They had built up to the scene with Raylan and Winona over the last 2-3 weeks. The talks they had in the car and when Gary was on the run from the loan sharks. You could see it coming.

Arlo is quite a character and really interesting. But from all the gun play in the preview, somebody's going down next week.
post #263 of 3246 Old 06-03-2010, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I really like Winona and thought her, apparently, one night stand with Raylan was a lot of fun. I have particularly enjoyed the differences between Raylan's current honeys, Winona and Ava. Winona projects a combination of elegance and sexiness, whereas Ava is a sexpot and a wild woman who, by her own admission, is only a little removed from a trailer park. What makes Ava even more interesting is how really dangerous she is.

I have enjoyed the Bo versus Boyd dispute over the meth franchise. Both are brilliant sociopaths, so it's going to be interesting to see who the last man standing turns out to be. I thought that Walton Goggins was terrific as Shane Vendrell in the Shield, so it's been fun to see him as Boyd, another continuing role he can really sink his teeth into.
post #264 of 3246 Old 06-03-2010, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the nude scene from last week's episode. When Raylan and the hard-case judge were in that stripper bar, there was a topless girl, clearly visible from the front, riding one of those mechanical bulls in the background. I had to rewind it a few times, just to make sure.

Now that's either breaking new ground for freedom of artistic expression or a further example of our decaying moral standards. Your choice.

Never having seen 'The Shield', I wasn't that familiar with Walter Goggins before this show. Now I say just wrap up the supporting actor Emmy and mail it to his house.
post #265 of 3246 Old 06-03-2010, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

... there was a topless girl, clearly visible from the front, riding one of those mechanical bulls in the background. I had to rewind it a few times, just to make sure.

Yeah!

Haven't seen the ep yet; it's waiting on my hard drive. Thanks for the heads up.

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package
Frank  TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
post #266 of 3246 Old 06-04-2010, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Episode Date Total HH A18-49
__#__ Aired Millions ---- ----
1-01 03/16/10 4.151 2.6/5 1.5/5
1-02 03/23/10 3.536 2.2/4 1.4/4
1-03 03/30/10 2.308 1.4/2 0.9/3
1-04 04/06/10 2.100 1.4/2 0.9/2
1-05 04/13/10 2.407 1.5/3 0.9/3
1-06 04/20/10 2.058 1.3/2 0.8/2
1-07 04/27/10 2.257 1.3/2 0.8/2
1-08 05/04/10 2.456 1.6/3 0.9/3
1-09 05/11/10 2.088 1.3/2 0.8/2
1-10 05/18/10 2.082 1.3/2 0.8/2
1-11 05/25/10 1.814 1.1/2 0.7/2
1-12 06/01/10 2.129 1.4/2 0.8/2
post #267 of 3246 Old 06-04-2010, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Never having seen 'The Shield', I wasn't that familiar with Walter Goggins before this show. Now I say just wrap up the supporting actor Emmy and mail it to his house.

I thought of Goggins in another context recently. I just got onto the wonderful Breaking Bad. It stars the awesomely talented Bryan Cranston. The guy is a great talent and won the Emmy for Best Lead Actor in a Drama Series for his performances in both Breaking Bad's first and second seasons. Nevertheless, I had never heard of the guy, despite his 100 plus credits. It is hard, indeed, to get noticed in Hollywood. Walton Goggins surprised me in exactly the same way, when I finally saw him in a couple of seasons of The Shield on Netflix Streaming.
post #268 of 3246 Old 06-04-2010, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I thought of Goggins in another context recently. I just got onto the wonderful Breaking Bad. It stars the awesomely talented Bryan Cranston. The guy is a great talent and won the Emmy for Best Lead Actor in a Drama Series for his performances in both Breaking Bad's first and second seasons. Nevertheless, I had never heard of the guy, despite his 100 plus credits. It is hard, indeed, to get noticed in Hollywood. Walton Goggins surprised me in exactly the same way, when I finally saw him in a couple of seasons of The Shield on Netflix Streaming.

I tell ya', so much of it is shear luck. Being in the right spot at the right time, knowing the right casting agent, getting a role on a show that takes off and gets you noticed. There are likely great talents that we never hear of because their pilots didn't get picked up or their shows got canned early or they just overslept and missed the audition.

A wise man once said that luck is where preparation meets opportunity. But you have to have the occasional opportunity in order to create some luck. Both Cranston and Goggins have made the most of theirs.
post #269 of 3246 Old 06-04-2010, 02:01 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the nude scene from last week's episode. When Raylan and the hard-case judge were in that stripper bar, there was a topless girl, clearly visible from the front, riding one of those mechanical bulls in the background. I had to rewind it a few times, just to make sure.

Now that's either breaking new ground for freedom of artistic expression or a further example of our decaying moral standards. Your choice.

In most areas, it's not nudity if the areola of the breast is covered - and the stripper was wearing pasties. Therefore, I guess it's no worse than when Dennis Franz's butt was show on NYPD Blue (but there are many more reasons why Franz's is just wrong, ooooohhhh!)

Quote:

Since Goggin's role was just a limited role, I guess the path of the show has taken a turn since they decided to make him a regular character.

BTW, if you want a good laugh at his comic style, check out his role in the Jackie Chan flic Shanghai Noon. He's plays a gunslinger named Wallace. His "twang" and teeth really shine!

Well, Here's my Sig!!!
post #270 of 3246 Old 06-04-2010, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober22 View Post

In most areas, it's not nudity if the areola of the breast is covered - and the stripper was wearing pasties.

Pasties, you say? You could tell that from that distance? They sure looked a lot like nekkid bresticle parts to me. Dang, I guess it's time to upgrade my HDTV.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page