AVS Forum banner

"Justified" on FX HD

224K views 4K replies 204 participants last post by  boootriley 
#1 ·

Quote:
JUSTIFIED is the story of Deputy U.S. Marshal RAYLAN GIVENS (Timothy Olyphant), a true-blue hero and something of a throwback, given to wearing a Stetson and cowboy boots, carrying his sidearm in a hip holster – a weapon he only draws when he has to, and when he does, he shoots to kill, because, as he sees it, that’s the purpose of a gun.

Raylan was born and reared in the hill country of eastern Kentucky. It was in Harlan where he played ball, chased girls and dug coal. And it was from Harlan, at age 19, that he ran, determined to become a U.S. Marshal. Now, years later, after shooting a gun thug in a Miami hotel and thereby incurring the wrath of his Marshals Service superiors, Raylan has been sent in punishment (and by fate?) to the one place to which he vowed he would never return – Kentucky.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/orig...outTheShow.php

I'm not sure what to make of this yet. It looks vaguely like Walker: Texas Ranger for 2010, but the idea of Olyphant playing another old West-style marshal could be good, but then again it's another crime drama with another quirky lead character ...

Starts Tues Mar 16, 10pm.

#883 ·
Anyone else catch the line about the Raylan's hat, a reference to Leonard's opinion on the matter? So damned funny. As for the climax of the episode, I wasn't sure what Raylan was going to do opposite the Ice Pick, and it didn't disappoint. Excellent writing, acting, directing; it's a great show. Met all my expectations and then some. Can't wait for next week's episode. Oh, and Dickie's in trouble....

#886 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac /forum/post/21510754

Anyone else catch the line about the Raylan's hat, a reference to Leonard's opinion on the matter? So damned funny. As for the climax of the episode, I wasn't sure what Raylan was going to do opposite the Ice Pick, and it didn't disappoint. Excellent writing, acting, directing; it's a great show. Met all my expectations and then some. Can't wait for next week's episode. Oh, and Dickie's in trouble....

I did , I had to rewind that twice
,It got a big laugh outta me , it went over the wife's head L O L .......

I knew Raylan was up to something when he told his ex-wife to go ahead & count down ,as i noted that Raylan had his hand under the edge of the table .As a shooting instructor he's done every scenario of close gun situations .Raylan was discussing quick draws with Art just a few few scenes into the start of the show , on how he couldn't do even a cross over draw out of his holster due to his injuries .

that's what is so good about the writing on this show is the attention to the details & setting up the action .

#889 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy /forum/post/21511569

I did , I had to rewind that twice
,It got a big laugh outta me , it went over the wife's head L O L .......

I knew Raylan was up to something when he told his ex-wife to go ahead & count down ,as i noted that Raylan had his hand under the edge of the table .As a shooting instructor he's done every scenario of close gun situations .Raylan was discussing quick draws with Art just a few few scenes into the start of the show , on how he couldn't do even a cross over draw out of his holster due to his injuries .

that's what is so good about the writing on this show is the attention to the details & setting up the action .

Such a contrast to many other TV show threads here where worshipful fans go to great lengths to make up pathetic excuses for gaping plot holes and blatantly obvious technical inaccuracies (e.g. Pan Am, Terra Nova) that basic competence could easily avoid.

#890 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 /forum/post/21512942

such a contrast to many other tv show threads here where worshipful fans go to great lengths to make up pathetic excuses for gaping plot holes and blatantly obvious technical inaccuracies (e.g. Pan am, terra nova) that basic competence could easily avoid.

+1

#895 ·
The Dexter Quinn is such a pitiful caricature, it's refreshing to see him in a series where he can expand his acting chops. Loved Raylan's method of foiling his game of reaching for the gun.

The one guy that is on par with Raylon intellectually is Boyd. Watch out Dickie!

#896 ·
Not certain that Raylon isn't slipping behind Boyd intellectually at this point honestly...sure seems that Boyd played his 'buddy' Raylon pretty easily and was looking to get sent up-state for a while. I base that solely on the fact that Dickie was there already and is Boyd's only real local threat/competitor...and now they are neighbors

#897 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog35 /forum/post/21515088

Not certain that Raylon isn't slipping behind Boyd intellectually at this point honestly...sure seems that Boyd played his 'buddy' Raylon pretty easily and was looking to get sent up-state for a while. I base that solely on the fact that Dickie was there already and is Boyd's only real local threat/competitor...and now they are neighbors

I've been wondering if Raylan, to make amends, suggests to Boyd what to do so that he would be sent to the same to the same lockup as Dickie.

#898 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud /forum/post/21515256

I've been wondering if Raylan, to make amends, suggests to Boyd what to do so that he would be sent to the same to the same lockup as Dickie.

I don't think they had any further exchange after the fight. I noticed the grin on Boyd's face afterward when the other cops were restraining him ("No resistance here!", said the always-calculating Boyd) and thought it kind of strange. Until I saw the last scene.

Damn, I'm glad this show is back. Its spectacular last season moved it into the pantheon of great television on the air today, IMO.

#899 ·
The way Raylan ended it with Mr Ice Pick was awesome--I just KNEW he wouldn't go for the gun initially because he knew that the guy was going to wield that ice pick and NOT go for the gun! Didn't think he'd do something so simple as to just pull the table cloth!

The dialogue between Raylan and Boyd are awesome...almost poetic. Sort of reminds me of the dialogue between Al Swearengen and Sheriff Bullock on Deadwood.

And the interactions that Raylan has with Art (to me) are hysterical. Short and sweet yet loaded with meaning. And it's funny to see Eva wielding power while Boyd is away. And Wynona is so damn appealing.

I'm sure if I go back and watch the episode again I'll pick out 3 or 4 little things that I'm sure have meaning and just flew by my eyes.

#900 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypb /forum/post/21515625

The dialogue between Raylan and Boyd are awesome...almost poetic. Sort of reminds me of the dialogue between Al Swearengen and Sheriff Bullock on Deadwood.

How true. Al Swearengen had that Elizabethean dialogue mixed with crude vulgarity that was hypnotic, while Boyd has a hillbilly formality that is equally captivating. Sheriff Bullock/Raylan plays off both extremely well.

#901 ·
I was actually wondering if Winona would buy it at the end of the episode. When Ice Pick had them both at the wrong end of the barrel I was thinking that it would be a great way to get the audience seriously emotionally invested in whatever storyline came along. So I was a bit relieved when Raylan won the little game. But props to the show for making me think it was a possibility - I hate TV shows where you know the good guys will never die. Yes, I realize that's most shows.