The Return of 'The Tonight Show with Jay Leno' on NBC HD! - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 389 Old 11-05-2010, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 67
If Letterman had been given the Tonight Show, there is no guarantee that Leno would have taken the 12:30p position on NBC and could have ended up at 11:30p on CBS. Considering Letterman's age, if the same situation had occurred with Conan, Letterman may have retired at that point. Obviously we'll never know for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 389 Old 02-06-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 68
The final Tonight Show With Jay Leno is on tonight. Sigh tongue.gif
post #363 of 389 Old 02-06-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

The final Tonight Show With Jay Leno is on tonight.

I'm getting a strange sense of deja vu ... biggrin.gif
Young C likes this.

post #364 of 389 Old 02-06-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

The final Tonight Show With Jay Leno is on tonight.

About time. :) Now if they book an interesting guest I'll record it. I'm a Craig Ferguson fan and I'll watch The Late Late Show regardless of its guests to a large degree...

Last night (or close to) I watched him interview Sandra Bullock just to see how he was going out... and surprisingly (or not so much since he is leaving - even mentioned such a few times) his entire approach was different. So much so I would have watched once in a while if he had the same vibe all those years.

post #365 of 389 Old 02-06-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Wonder if Conan is happy. To be honest, he's the only late night show I watch anymore. Everything else is on too late, I'm a sleep biggrin.gif
post #366 of 389 Old 02-06-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

Everything else is on too late, I'm a sleep biggrin.gif

Ever hear of a DVR? :) I typically catch Craig during the day (on my PC) or before the evening viewing.

post #367 of 389 Old 02-06-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL biggrin.gif

I know, I know.
post #368 of 389 Old 02-07-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 50
So, what's the over/under on how long NBC gives Jimmy Fallon before pulling the plug on him like they did with Conan? rolleyes.gif

I can see it now, the older demographic for this show won't "get" Fallon's brand of humor and start tuning out, thus causing the NBC execs to panic and kick him to the curb and beg Leno to come back again.
post #369 of 389 Old 02-07-2014, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

So, what's the over/under on how long NBC gives Jimmy Fallon before pulling the plug on him like they did with Conan? rolleyes.gif

I can see it now, the older demographic for this show won't "get" Fallon's brand of humor and start tuning out, thus causing the NBC execs to panic and kick him to the curb and beg Leno to come back again.

I don't think it will happen most older folks like myself that I know like Jimmy. He comes across the super friendly type that Jay did. I think that some people just want to see more drama in the late night wars.
Lorne Michael's runs late night across the board now and he will not allow Jay back in.

Personally I think what they should have done is have the tonight show run Monday through Thursday and give it to Jimmy. On Friday they have essentially a weekend show and they could have given it to Jay. Fridays are about the older crowd anyways as the kids are out and about.
post #370 of 389 Old 02-07-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post

Personally I think what they should have done is have the tonight show run Monday through Thursday and give it to Jimmy. On Friday they have essentially a weekend show and they could have given it to Jay. Fridays are about the older crowd anyways as the kids are out and about.

Interesting idea.
post #371 of 389 Old 02-07-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Peterson View Post

Interesting idea.

Guess I'm not a "kid" anymore. I'm typically home on Friday evenings frown.gifWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
(not by choice. I'd love to go out with friends.)
post #372 of 389 Old 02-07-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Great final show for Leno. Sad and emotional at the end. Sorry to see him go. But how about a Sunday night show instead of Friday? But it would be late on East coast during NFL season.
post #373 of 389 Old 02-07-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

All the parts of Fallon's show I like are definitely not Leno's demo. The esoteric musical guests, the stupid games and celebrity involvement, not to mention the video gaming and gadgets segments. Those are what differentiate Fallon from the rest of late night. Leno's audience are happy to see exactly what we got this week. Safe jokes, familiar guests and sitting down listening to anecdotes. This week is the first time I've watched Leno in about a year and despite the fact it was his blowout week it was still as safe and predictable as always. Just as his audience likes it.

They should have just let him stay in his slot. The ratings might be going nowhere but everybody was getting what they liked.

post #374 of 389 Old 02-07-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Anybody going to create the new thread? 'The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon' on NBC HD

LOL biggrin.gif
post #375 of 389 Old 02-07-2014, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I have a feeling it won't be long after Letterman starts kicking his butt in the ratings. Since Leno is gone I'm gone as a viewer. Leno's monologues were the reason I tuned in. Fallon is not funny and he is boring.
dfergie likes this.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #376 of 389 Old 02-07-2014, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
NBC isn't worried. No late night show provides more viral video worthy content than Fallon. Good riddance to Leno. Dude's been a joke for years.
post #377 of 389 Old 02-08-2014, 12:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

NBC isn't worried. No late night show provides more viral video worthy content than Fallon.

Just like Conan O'Brien did.

Until he moved to the 11.30 slot.

Will Fallon be allowed to do all those things that got him YouTube hits if his ratings are tanking and advertisers start shifting to Letterman?

post #378 of 389 Old 02-08-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 97
The issue with Conan was that his style and material, like the masturbating bear, weren't compatible with the Tonight Show demographic. Fallon will probably transition a lot more smoothly. His material doesn't have to be toned down very much. He has a more friendly nature like Leno where as Conan is more like Letterman with his dry sense of humor.
post #379 of 389 Old 02-08-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

I have a feeling it won't be long after Letterman starts kicking his butt in the ratings. Since Leno is gone I'm gone as a viewer. Leno's monologues were the reason I tuned in. Fallon is not funny and he is boring.
I watched Late night occasionally, but since NBC doesn't like my demographic I won't support the new incarnation of the Tonight Show just like I didn't watch Conan's brief stint.
Jedi Master likes this.
post #380 of 389 Old 02-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 44

Did Garth Brooks sing  "Jay's Got Chins in Low Places"?

post #381 of 389 Old 02-08-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Just like Conan O'Brien did.

Until he moved to the 11.30 slot.

Will Fallon be allowed to do all those things that got him YouTube hits if his ratings are tanking and advertisers start shifting to Letterman?

Conan wasn't as consumer friendly as Fallon is. Conan was always seen as a weird looking clown doing weird things that appealed to a very specific niche audience. He never should have been given the Tonight Show. And I say that as someone that likes Conan.
post #382 of 389 Old 02-08-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

He never should have been given the Tonight Show..
And the guy who gave Conan the Tonight Show should have never been given the position to give it to him. Funny how all three involved are now gone from NBC (four if you include the guy who also thought he should have gotten the Tonight Show 22 years ago).

I think Fallon may play well in Wichita.
post #383 of 389 Old 02-08-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Conan wasn't as consumer friendly as Fallon is. Conan was always seen as a weird looking clown doing weird things that appealed to a very specific niche audience. He never should have been given the Tonight Show. And I say that as someone that likes Conan.

Agreed. Maybe that's why I only watch Conan.
post #384 of 389 Old 02-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Conan wasn't the problem, even though the TS crowd didn't "get" him. in fear of losing Leno to ABC, fox, or somebody else, NBC gave him a 10 P.M.show that failed. NBC affiliates across the country panicked when numbers for their 11 P.M. newscasts plummeted, some threatening to dump Leno's show altogether. NBC decided to keep Leno and throw Conan under the bus.
I saw Leno do standup in South Lake Tahoe once. He killed. Set loose from the Tonight show's mediocre writing maybe he'll soar again live.

I do think that Fallon will do better than Conan. The next Johnny Carson ain't out there, and most of his audience is dead.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #385 of 389 Old 02-08-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I saw Leno do standup in South Lake Tahoe once. He killed. Set loose from the Tonight show's mediocre writing maybe he'll soar again live.

I like Leno as a personality, but the Tonight Show I found as dull and formulaic as it gets. I really wish he would make a full time car show instead of just a Web thing.

Leno's brief cameo on Episodes last week arguing with Matt LeBlanc over a Lambo was the funniest I've seen him in a long time.

post #386 of 389 Old 02-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I like Leno as a personality, but the Tonight Show I found as dull and formulaic as it gets....

I am reminded of the writer's strike a few years back. The talk shows went off the air until Leno struck a deal that he could do his show as long as he did all the writing. The jokes went up in quality at least 300%.

post #387 of 389 Old 02-08-2014, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed. Maybe that's why I only watch Conan.

I watch Conan and Jimmy. The appeal of Jimmy's show to me are the skits, the Roots, and all the humorous/creative things he gets guests to do. None of it really pushes the boundaries of taste that Conan does, though, which is why I think Jimmy is a perfect fit for 11:35. I'm very interested to see what kind of show Seth does at 12:35. In my mind, that's the show with the biggest chance of failing.

I agree with others about Leno. I despise his Tonight Show. But as a comedian he's great. I'm old enough to remember the old Late Night days when he'd show up to an interview with Dave eating a sub.
post #388 of 389 Old 02-09-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post

Conan wasn't the problem, even though the TS crowd didn't "get" him. in fear of losing Leno to ABC, fox, or somebody else, NBC gave him a 10 P.M.show that failed. NBC affiliates across the country panicked when numbers for their 11 P.M. newscasts plummeted, some threatening to dump Leno's show altogether. NBC decided to keep Leno and throw Conan under the bus.
Except that the ratings for the Tonight Show were very bad and getting worse. Leno was number one even when NBC was #5 or even #6.

The affiliates were talking about a 10p/9p central local newscast and then running Leno & Conan. We'll never know if that meant a one hour or half hour newscast, but my guess would have been the former. That would have put Leno at 11p/10p and the Tonight Show at 12a/11p. If it was the latter, then the Tonight Show would have started at its normal time. A fear was what effect all this could have on other networks, possibly leading to only a two hour prime time like FOX & CW. Even though it was a debacle at the time, I think it worked out well for all, including the departure of Zucker who is now apparently spinning his ratings magic at CNN.
post #389 of 389 Old 02-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

The affiliates were talking about a 10p/9p central local newscast and then running Leno & Conan. .... A fear was what effect all this could have on other networks, possibly leading to only a two hour prime time like FOX & CW.....

Exactly. NBC floated the idea of having Leno do a half hour then Conan come on at midnight. Conan refused and NBC bought him out, returning Leno to the Tonight Show rather than risk a prime-time reconfiguration, weakening the networks hold on it's affiliates.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page