Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 280 Old 03-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Kib
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I knew I missed something about this tonight. After seeing the credits I know what it was, no Chuck Workman reel. Rest in peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 280 Old 03-07-2010, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Chuck Workman did the Memoriam.

Show clocked in at 3:35.
post #183 of 280 Old 03-07-2010, 10:08 PM

Liked: 10
Crappy directing of the show IMO. I wanted to see the interaction of the exes both nominated for Best director, but they cut to a ridiculously wide overhead shot.
post #184 of 280 Old 03-07-2010, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphyboy View Post

Crappy directing of the show IMO. I wanted to see the interaction of the exes both nominated for Best director, but they cut to a ridiculously wide overhead shot.

I disagree I think it would've been tasteless to continue to hammer home that storyline.
post #185 of 280 Old 03-07-2010, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

I wonder if that was a mistake... he should have read them.

It was no mistake, but it may have been unplanned by the Academy script.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #186 of 280 Old 03-07-2010, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Sandra Bullock was the epitome of elegance, grace and humor during her acceptance speech. In no way did I think she deserved the award, but she did give a spirited if hackneyed performance.

fafner
post #187 of 280 Old 03-07-2010, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

No I didn't miss the point. I would rather have seen a fully realistic drama about events than fictional portrayal of one man's psychological profile.

I think maybe you did. Why do you think they called it "The Hurt Locker"?

post #188 of 280 Old 03-07-2010, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Wow.
A film that did less in box office than the bill for Avatar's caterer wins best picture.

And so well deserved it was.

Nice to see a really great film win rather than just a really popular one.

fafner
post #189 of 280 Old 03-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

I'll wait till Tuesday to pick up the Hurt Locker so I can get Up in the Air at the same time.
post #190 of 280 Old 03-07-2010, 10:17 PM
JCL
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCTV99 View Post

I disagree I think it would've been tasteless to continue to hammer home that storyline.

Yes, but.... As a director, Hamish should let the camera speak for itself. Just let the shot develop. Maybe they wouldn't hug, perhaps shake hands or just an exchange of glances. We'll never know.

Edit: Actually I do know, with the HD PVR I did check the shot, she never turned her head back to acknowledge her ex.
post #191 of 280 Old 03-07-2010, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If they had no intention of letting people see how one would react to the other winning, then they shouldn't have sat the one behind the other

The long wide-shot was extremely awkward.
post #192 of 280 Old 03-07-2010, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post

Yes, but.... As a director, Hamish should let the camera speak for itself. Just let the shot develop. Maybe they wouldn't hug, perhaps shake hands or just an exchange of glances. We'll never know.

Agree. It was the worst take of the production.

post #193 of 280 Old 03-07-2010, 10:24 PM

That shot was like cutting to the blimp-view after the game winning TD at the Super-Bowl.
post #194 of 280 Old 03-07-2010, 10:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

I think maybe you did. Why do you think they called it "The Hurt Locker"?

No I think you are missing the point. The entire storyline of Renner going AWOL and breaking into the house etc. was not needed to emphasize the point, and it was so off track that it instantly jumped out as a fictional action-movie moment and was jarring against the factual context the movie works around.

The entire movie is based around guys who do a job that is already stressful enough without the need to embellish it. That's the movie I wanted to see.

post #195 of 280 Old 03-07-2010, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Agree. It was the worst take of the production.

I think I'd have to argue the shot of Cameron in the dark during the open was the worst take. There's too many eyes on that monitor wall to let that happen plus this show is so rehearsed there's no way they didn't know it was going to be that dark. I can just see the Lighting guy and camera shader cursing loudly when that happened because its completely avoidable on a show like this unless it was an accidental fat finger job by the TD.

The other thing and I'm not necessarily defending Hamish here, but as a live TV director myself, there is a tendency for directors to sometimes get ahead of themselves. You're trained to always be four or five steps ahead of the actual moment, the problem is occasionally you can get caught when something happens and you've cut away, oftentimes you don't realize what you've done until it's too late. The wide shot was probably planned to show the entire house reacting to the win, but ended up being awkwardly placed. Sometimes you react off visual cues and don't see the nuances, and for ADD directors like Hamish who notoriously doesn't sit on shots long anyway, sometimes a shot that's only a second long can feel like an eternity. It's easy to second-guess after the fact but directing is a game of split second decision-making. You're literally talking the show into existence. Sometimes you get caught with your pants down.
post #196 of 280 Old 03-07-2010, 10:36 PM
JCL
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I'd have to argue the shot of Cameron in the dark during the open was the worst take. There's too many eyes on that monitor wall to let that happen plus this show is so rehearsed there's no way they didn't know it was going to be that dark. I can just see the Lighting guy and camera shader cursing loudly when that happened because its completely avoidable on a show like this unless it was an accidental fat finger job by the TD.

The other thing and I'm not necessarily defending Hamish here, but as a live TV director myself, there is a tendency for directors to sometimes get ahead of themselves. You're trained to always be four or five steps ahead of the actual moment, the problem is occasionally you can get caught when something happens and you've cut away, oftentimes you don't realize what you've done until it's too late. The wide shot was probably planned to show the entire house reacting to the win, but ended up being awkwardly placed. Sometimes you react off visual cues and don't see the nuances, and for ADD directors like Hamish who notoriously doesn't sit on shots long anyway, sometimes a shot that's only a second long can feel like an eternity. It's easy to second-guess after the fact but directing is a game of split second decision-making. You're literally talking the show into existence. Sometimes you get caught with your pants down.

There was something similar for the Olympic Gold Medal Hockey Game. When the OT goal was scored, CTV cut to the "blimp shot" (but not NBC). It actually worked, for that occasion.
post #197 of 280 Old 03-07-2010, 10:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Why are you arguing plots points in an Oscar thread?
There's a thread in the BR Software forum for this.

Probably because it just won an Oscar and debating the worthiness of something which just won the most noteworthy award in movie making is fairly valid in the thread about the show which just announced it.

Of course if you don't want to debate it, the solution is simple. Don't respond to another person's view about the subject.

post #198 of 280 Old 03-07-2010, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes, I'd put that one at #2, but other than those two, I thought it was pretty solid.

Quote:

Yup.

post #199 of 280 Old 03-07-2010, 10:44 PM

When Stanley Tucci was giving his speech for the Actress award, he must of made a funny gesture, because everyone started laughing and when they showed him, he was done with whatever he did. That would be hard to predict though, I guess.
post #200 of 280 Old 03-08-2010, 01:35 AM

Another big snub by the academy for sci fi flixs.

only 3 awards for avatar? wow, didn't even win in a couple of
technical categories I expected it to take easily.

avatar got an even worse reception than star wars did in '78. at lease s.w.
won 6 oscars that year plus a special award for the technical breakthroughs.
most people looking back now think s.w. could have won a couple more,
even best picture over annie hall.

guess cameron had 3 things working against him. a sci fi film, the year of
the woman, and having already cleaned up once at the oscars already.

don't think some of his comments on that big oscar night about a decade ago have been forgotten by a lot of voters yet.
post #201 of 280 Old 03-08-2010, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

No I think you are missing the point. The entire storyline of Renner going AWOL and breaking into the house etc. was not needed to emphasize the point, and it was so off track that it instantly jumped out as a fictional action-movie moment and was jarring against the factual context the movie works around.

The entire movie is based around guys who do a job that is already stressful enough without the need to embellish it. That's the movie I wanted to see.

Actually, the entire movie is about war being a drug that some people become addicted to. The boy he was trying to save represented the only "normal" element in his life at the time, and he was compelled to find him when he disappeared.

I think you need to watch it again. Pay particular attention to the quote that opens the movie. The main theme is spelled out right there.
post #202 of 280 Old 03-08-2010, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I really enjoyed the opening monologue as well as Martin and Baldwin.

However at least in Denver the audio was atrocious through most of it, with the audience often sounding tinny, the audio being horribly flangey, ironically enough, it was especially bad during Morgan Freeman's piece on sound editing, and the orchestra often sounded as if it was being played back from a low bit-rate RealPlayer stream.

No idea if it was just KMGH in Denver, but if it was the same nationwide I'm surprised I haven't read other complaints.

As far as Hanks goes, I think they were just way tight on time - they had already run over, as always (loved Martin's "Avatar now takes place in the past" quip…) They should have cut the interminable best original score dance routine instead.

Disappointed that for the second straight year, if you didn't move close up to the screen, you missed the first three names in the "In Memoriam" reel, as if people can easily read the in-theatre screens from a wide shot. Surprised at the missing Farrah Fawcett, and thought John Hughes would be mentioned again as well.

Also surprised at the lack of emotion towards her husband showed by Sandra Bullock when her name was read. He whispered something into her ear, but there was no kiss on the cheek, no hug, no anything.

My big question of the night - why does anyone hire Kristen Stewart to do anything? A cardboard cutout of her would have more life to it…
post #203 of 280 Old 03-08-2010, 06:25 AM

HOW ABOUT THAT ORCHESTRA?
What an incredible Orchestra! Great arrangements and a superior Mix. Excellent balance of a "live" performance. The Sound Engineer should receive an award for this production.
post #204 of 280 Old 03-08-2010, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

I really enjoyed the opening monologue as well as Martin and Baldwin.

However at least in Denver the audio was atrocious through most of it, with the audience often sounding tinny, the audio being horribly flangey, ironically enough, it was especially bad during Morgan Freeman's piece on sound editing, and the orchestra often sounded as if it was being played back from a low bit-rate RealPlayer stream.

No idea if it was just KMGH in Denver, but if it was the same nationwide I'm surprised I haven't read other complaints.

As far as Hanks goes, I think they were just way tight on time - they had already run over, as always (loved Martin's "Avatar now takes place in the past" quip) They should have cut the interminable best original score dance routine instead.

Disappointed that for the second straight year, if you didn't move close up to the screen, you missed the first three names in the "In Memoriam" reel, as if people can easily read the in-theatre screens from a wide shot. Surprised at the missing Farrah Fawcett, and thought John Hughes would be mentioned again as well.

Also surprised at the lack of emotion towards her husband showed by Sandra Bullock when her name was read. He whispered something into her ear, but there was no kiss on the cheek, no hug, no anything.

My big question of the night - why does anyone hire Kristen Stewart to do anything? A cardboard cutout of her would have more life to it

i think he said something to the effect of "im sorry for banging Janine Lindermulder"

bwahahaha

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
post #205 of 280 Old 03-08-2010, 09:33 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Heck with that...what was with the Meryl Streep snub from Bullock? Is there some feud going on?
post #206 of 280 Old 03-08-2010, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post

Heck with that...what was with the Meryl Streep snub from Bullock? Is there some feud going on?

I didn't get that either, plus that line about Meryl being her lover.

I didn't see Sandra's movie, she might have been good but I've never been impressed with her performance. I thought her acceptance speech was one of her best performances. That looked as rehearsed as any film script she's mastered. I didn't buy those tears for a minute. I'm sorry, that was all an actin my opinion.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #207 of 280 Old 03-08-2010, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post

....and then she called Meryl her lover at the end of her speech or was it her mother?

fafner
post #208 of 280 Old 03-08-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

She acknowedged him in her speech, but not by name. Just because they didn't "make out" before she got up doesn't mean there is something wrong.

Her mention of Streep was sarcasm, as was Tucci's introduction of her.

Art
post #209 of 280 Old 03-08-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

I agree with you about the close up.
Farah Fawcett was last year.
If you saw the 2009 Oscars, you would have remembered each one of the remaining Charlie's Angels taking turns, talking about her.

Overall, it was one of the best Academy Awards Show yet.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #210 of 280 Old 03-08-2010, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

I agree with you about the close up.
Farah Fawcett was last year.
If you saw the 2009 Oscars, you would have remembered each one of the remaining Charlie's Angels taking turns, talking about her.

Overall, it was one of the best Academy Awards Show yet.

She died the same day as Michael Jackson....

so not sure what you are remembering (maybe the Emmys)
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page