Conan O'Brien to Debut on TBS in November - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 304 Old 04-12-2010, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
of course, and "typical" is changing very quickly. think about where TV and internet was 10 years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 304 Old 04-12-2010, 10:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

I agree. You get to know so much more through online news sites. In my area, local television news pretty much only consists of who got shot, how bad a certain food is for you, and awful sports analysis.

Here in Chicago, it's "who got killed", "who got mugged", "who got raped", "who got burglarized", "who got busted", "what child was accidently shot in a drive-by" and "what did the crooked polticians do today"?

They just run through everything else quickly, even the sports.

I completely stopped watching the local news on TV at least 5 years ago.
post #93 of 304 Old 04-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I hope Conan is allowed to do his comedy bits without restrictions now.
post #94 of 304 Old 04-12-2010, 11:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer View Post

I hope Conan is allowed to do his comedy bits without restrictions now.

Are you that desperate to see the masturbating bear? I imagine some swearing will be acceptable, they do it on George Lopez' show.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #95 of 304 Old 04-12-2010, 11:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Here in Chicago, it's "who got killed", "who got mugged", "who got raped", "who got burglarized", "who got busted", "what child was accidently shot in a drive-by" and "what did the crooked polticians do today"?

You need to move.

Now that March Madness is over our local headlines are about Epic Games, Gears of War and strawberries.

post #96 of 304 Old 04-13-2010, 12:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

You need to move.

Not that bad out where I live in the far NW 'burbs - yet, anyway.

Although it sure isn't the same place I moved to 15 years ago.
post #97 of 304 Old 04-13-2010, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Great and the median age of late night talk show viewer is 20-25 years older than you. The fact is that people that watch late night shows typically watch the news beforehand. And they typically watch the same channel. Why do you think the affiliates were complaining. Jay Leno's 10 PM show was killing the ratings for the local news at 11.

No offense but people that typically come to sites like this are not representative the REAL world.

Median age of viewer

Leno 56
Letterman 54
Ferguson 52
Kimmel 52
Fallon 50
Conan 46

So HALF of Conan's audience were out of high school by the time you were born.

Without proof of actual statistics, I wouldn't be surprised if even those age groups aren't watching the news before the late night shows like people used to and I would wager any polls or statistics claiming it is still close or the same today as it was even 10 years ago are not even close to reality.

Way more people today ,even in their 40's and 50's, are not watching the 11 o'clock news anymore. Really they aren't. I would also surmise they are not as dedicated to watching late night shows as previous audiences have done. With the ability to surf so many more channels and having internet wifi on the fly, many more are accessing news and entertainment they want to watch as opposed to what was typical say even 20 years ago. I don't hear many people anymore say, "hey did you catch the 11:00 or evening news?". In fact I haven't heard anyone utter that phrase for several years or someone say "did you see so and so story on the news last night?". And I never hear anyone even mention a thing about newspapers or something in them, except for my mom when I visit her in NY, but she is old school and not on the net.

Most people today want their news quick, get on, get off and entertain themselves with other distractions. I most often hear people mention stories or news items they read on the web and not on the majors, including CNN. Ok, so I have some hardcore friends and customers that watch Fox "News", and so does almost all the south, ugh!, but really it is a different world today especially with so much media access.
post #98 of 304 Old 04-13-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

Without proof of actual statistics,

why would I lie? I'm not pulling this out of my ass.

Quote:

Way more people today ,even in their 40's and 50's, are not watching the 11 o'clock news anymore. Really they aren't. I would also surmise they are not as dedicated to watching late night shows as previous audiences have done. With the ability to surf so many more channels and having internet wifi on the fly, many more are accessing news and entertainment they want to watch as opposed to what was typical say even 20 years ago. I don't hear many people anymore say, "hey did you catch the 11:00 or evening news?".

Explain WHY affiliates where complaining their ratings dropped after Jay's 10 PM show came on. Explain why Leno's return to the Tonight Show ratings show increased 50% and at the same time it's lead in also increased 50%. That's hardly a coincidence. Now what is between those shows? The local news.

Quote:

Most people today want their news quick, get on, get off and entertain themselves with other distractions. I most often hear people mention stories or news items they read on the web and not on the majors, including CNN. Ok, so I have some hardcore friends and customers that watch Fox "News", and so does almost all the south, ugh!, but really it is a different world today especially with so much media access.

Sure it is. And it's changing but as I said people that come here think it's changed more than what it has. You tend to overthink eveyone has internet and everyone has HDTV and any other brand new technology. One out of 5 people in the US is over 65. Most do not have internet or HDTV. Most do not have a cell phone. Even those under 65 many do not have these things. 50% of all households do not even have one HDTV. I'm 41 I've never owned or used a DVR and I have no desire too. I think the last time I recorded a TV show was 20 years ago. Just because you have Kindles and Ipads doesn't mean people stop reading books. Even I'm sometimes guilty of thinking everyone has moved on. I still get flabbergasted when I'm shopping and I see someone pull out a checkbook. I think "I know their bank gives them a check card. Why aren't they using that? It's so much easier"

Sure in 20 years when people in my age group are 65 then being "old" doensnt mean being out of touch or afraid of technology. And in 20 years those that are "old" today will mostly be dead. So yes we will have society that is technology proficient in all age groups.

I have 15 year old son. We got internet when he was 5. To him the internet has always been here. I was 30 before I got on the internet. Heck I was 13 before we got cable TV. I was 12 before we had a microwave oven. My son had his own cell phone at 14, which actually considered late for today. I was 37. Those of you under 30 tend to think everyone embraces every new technology. This is hardly the truth.
post #99 of 304 Old 04-13-2010, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Can CoCo and TBS Make the Economics Work?

April 13, 2010

Conan O'Brien's arrival at Turner's comedy channel, TBS, has the TV business trying to figure out how the economics are going to work out. The former Tonight Show host's jump to basic cable will inevitably deliver a halo affect for the entire TBS schedule. But the Turner ad sales team will have their work cut out given that cable has a much lower CPM than broadcast. (Click here for complete upfront coverage.)

While few people are privy to the actual deal made between the parties, Miller Tabak & Co. analyst David Joyce took a crack at the economics in an investor note April 13. Joyce has O'Brien earning a new salary of around $12.5 million and Turner shouldering production costs of between $20 million and $30 million for the show, which is owned by O'Brien.

He also estimates that TBS' Lopez Tonight, which will vacate its current 11 p.m. slot and move to midnight when O'Brien debuts, makes around $21.8 million a year in ad revenue, given its 1.2 million average viewers.

Conan O'Brien earned NBC an estimated $175.9 million annually, with 2.92 million average viewers since September 2009, according to Joyce's projections. There is still a great CPM disparity that a strong new show could help mitigate, writes Joyce, who thinks the move could give the Time Warner network a boost in operating income.

On the other hand, ad buyers are suggesting that the late-night landscape is looking ever more competitive by the day. Conan's arrival coupled with the move of Lopez to midnight potentially splits available ad dollars for the day part. One TV buyer notes that off-net runs of HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm and Entourage (on TV Guide, starting in June, and Spike, respectively) are yet more interesting late-night options for young male viewers.

Separately, Kantar Media data shows that even while Conan's Tonight Show may have lagged Jay Leno's in ratings, their comparable ad revenue picture was not so far apart. Between June 2009 and January 2010, in the midst of a recession, NBC took in ad revenue of $99 million from Conan's Tonight Show. Meanwhile, Leno's Tonight Show during the same period a year earlier (June 2008 through January 2010) brought in $121.8 million.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/blo...mics_Work_.php

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #100 of 304 Old 04-13-2010, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

You need to move.

Now that March Madness is over our local headlines are about Epic Games, Gears of War and strawberries.

Too much Greg Fishel here. I opt for the world news.
post #101 of 304 Old 04-13-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

why would I lie? I'm not pulling this out of my ass.

Explain WHY affiliates where complaining their ratings dropped after Jay's 10 PM show came on. Explain why Leno's return to the Tonight Show ratings show increased 50% and at the same time it's lead in also increased 50%. That's hardly a coincidence. Now what is between those shows? The local news.

Sure it is. And it's changing but as I said people that come here think it's changed more than what it has. You tend to overthink eveyone has internet and everyone has HDTV and any other brand new technology. One out of 5 people in the US is over 65. Most do not have internet or HDTV. Most do not have a cell phone. Even those under 65 many do not have these things. 50% of all households do not even have one HDTV. I'm 41 I've never owned or used a DVR and I have no desire too. I think the last time I recorded a TV show was 20 years ago. Just because you have Kindles and Ipads doesn't mean people stop reading books. Even I'm sometimes guilty of thinking everyone has moved on. I still get flabbergasted when I'm shopping and I see someone pull out a checkbook. I think "I know their bank gives them a check card. Why aren't they using that? It's so much easier"

Sure in 20 years when people in my age group are 65 then being "old" doensnt mean being out of touch or afraid of technology. And in 20 years those that are "old" today will mostly be dead. So yes we will have society that is technology proficient in all age groups.

I have 15 year old son. We got internet when he was 5. To him the internet has always been here. I was 30 before I got on the internet. Heck I was 13 before we got cable TV. I was 12 before we had a microwave oven. My son had his own cell phone at 14, which actually considered late for today. I was 37. Those of you under 30 tend to think everyone embraces every new technology. This is hardly the truth.

I meant I had no actual proof of statistics, but just as you are giving anecdotal stories of someone pulling out there checkbook, that doesn't mean anything. I still use my checkbook as well for many things as I have to in business and even personal to make some payments, but I am one of the early adopters of online banking and use debit cards regularly.

People on this forum don't think it has changed just because they are into tech, they know it has changed more than you are claiming it has. I guarantee you would be surprised and even shocked if you and all of us really knew how things have changed and not just based on stories or what we see, hear and think.

Why? We do have proof all around us. Magazines and newspapers aren't the only markets that have gone through dramatic change in the last ten years. All media has gone through a major upheaval and the majority young and old are part of that change. Everyone is part of it.

As far as the majors, sure they still get some people watching news into talk shows, but my point is not nearly as much as they used to and I would believe they are hyping the importance more in order to not lose more revenue, sponsors, etc. than they already have.

Oh and I am 48 and didn't have a cell phone till 37 either.

As far as Conan, I like him, his comedy and I hope he makes it. I will be checking it out to see how it is.
post #102 of 304 Old 04-13-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 190
Quote:

Way more people today ,even in their 40's and 50's, are not watching the 11 o'clock news anymore. Really they aren't. I would also surmise they are not as dedicated to watching late night shows as previous audiences have done.

I think DVRs to a large degree have hurt the news shows (evening and late night broadcasts). I typically have more shows recorded than I can find time to watch. So I skip the news and check via the Internet (at times) to make sure the world hasn't ended. Regarding the late night talk shows I scan the guests on three of them (have never cared for Leno) and record the show if I find someone interesting. I don't find any of them worthwhile enough to catch in and of themselves. Too many choices especially going back to the DVR.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #103 of 304 Old 04-13-2010, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Are you that desperate to see the masturbating bear? I imagine some swearing will be acceptable, they do it on George Lopez' show.

Well, said bear made an appearace @ Conan's 1st show of his live tour.

However, due to possible intellectual property issues w/ NBC....the character is now the "Self Pleasuring Panda".

And as absurd as it was, that bear made me laugh every time he was on.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #104 of 304 Old 04-13-2010, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Well, said bear made an appearace @ Conan's 1st show of his live tour.

However, due to possible intellectual property issues w/ NBC....the character is now the "Self Pleasuring Panda".

And as absurd as it was, that bear made me laugh every time he was on.

and the Walker Texas Ranger lever (which I don't think ever made an appearance on the Tonight Show) is now the "Chuck Norris rural policeman handle"
post #105 of 304 Old 04-13-2010, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 View Post

and the Walker Texas Ranger lever (which I don't think ever made an appearance on the Tonight Show) is now the "Chuck Norris rural policeman handle"

It's Walker actually an NBC/Uni-owned show?

That old bit was also brilliant - esp. the time they used bits from an old episode that had young Haley Joel Osment as a guest star - taken out of context, that stuff was hilariously bad.

Within context....just bad.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #106 of 304 Old 04-13-2010, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

It's Walker actually an NBC/Uni-owned show?

Aired on CBS - owned by Sony and CBS/Paramount.

So whatever deal Conan's team had with them before, he can still use I guess.
post #107 of 304 Old 04-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

I can't wait for self pleasuring Panda!
post #108 of 304 Old 04-13-2010, 11:36 PM

Liked: 11
Maybe he can turn the fedex pope into the USPS unnamed christian sect religous leader.

You can never judge a show by its pilot episode or the half season following it.
post #109 of 304 Old 04-14-2010, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

This is part of that change I am talking about and it isn't going to help.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...1948&gt1=33002
post #110 of 304 Old 04-15-2010, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Sly dog!! I was afraid we would never see those characters again! Never liked the Fox idea, he doesn't belong there and i the network is garbage. TBS is perfect, hoping he can be a little more edgy, also i don't see it as "facing off" with Stewart-Colbert because of a DVR

Wouldn't it be grand if Coco had a special postgame show launch after the Dodgers clinch the National League pennant.

post #111 of 304 Old 04-15-2010, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is part of that change I am talking about and it isn't going to help.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...1948&gt1=33002

those people still buy internet, and most shows are available online with ads. I'm sure Conan will be too.
post #112 of 304 Old 04-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer View Post

I can't wait for self pleasuring Panda!

LOL...self pleasuring panda...

Comcast, E.D.L.
post #113 of 304 Old 04-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 View Post

Aired on CBS - owned by Sony and CBS/Paramount.

So whatever deal Conan's team had with them before, he can still use I guess.

Conan's bit started because NBC merged with Universal. Universal had the rights to air the show. I don't think they actually owned it but Conan just used that as the starting point of the bit.
post #114 of 304 Old 04-16-2010, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Conan better get higher numbers than Lopez was or he may end up as the second show again. One would think that to be a certainty, but nothing is assured. If he does get a larger younger audience, will it come at the expense of other existing late night shows? I still think Dave has more to possibly lose from this than Jay.

While Comcast says they will support the broadcast network model, I wonder for how long. If cable talk with less restrictions takes greater audiences, will NBCU start one of their own on a cable channel?

If FOX had offered the same deal to Conan, such as owning the show, would he have taken that instead? With the potential to move the show to FOX broadcast network, I think News Corp let this one slip through their fingers. Time will tell if that was good or bad, but at least for now I think it was a mistake.

Now that Bill Maher and Conan have shows on networks owned by the same company, I wonder if we will see Conan on Maher's show.

post #115 of 304 Old 04-16-2010, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
At 11:00 p.m., Conan doesn't directly compete with anyone in late night except Jon Stewart.

post #116 of 304 Old 04-16-2010, 09:10 PM

Liked: 10
Glad I have DVR
post #117 of 304 Old 04-17-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

At 11:00 p.m., Conan doesn't directly compete with anyone in late night except Jon Stewart.

Conan's show will be one hour, so it will overlap the 11:35p shows. Many viewers leave talk shows after the first half hour when the guests appear, but it remains to be seen how that plays in this situation. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart is a half hour show.

post #118 of 304 Old 04-17-2010, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

Many viewers leave talk shows after the first half hour when the guests appear, but it remains to be seen how that plays in this situation.

I typically do the exact opposite. I'll only watch the show if I'm interested in the guest(s). DVRing past all of the repetitive half hours.

| 
|
|
|
post #119 of 304 Old 04-19-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:

But there was one truth they could not spin, one fact that no amount of buzz could overcome. And it is the sole reason why Conan O’Brien is heading to cable: His television audience isn’t big enough for a major late-night slot in broadcast television given the current economics of the daypart. And it is for that reason— and only that reason—that O’Brien will debut on TBS this fall, and not on Fox or ABC.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...ent_to_TBS.php
post #120 of 304 Old 04-19-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I kinda wish he would've followed Colbert on CC at 12/11C. I know that's the same timeslot he refused on NBC, but I that reasoning was more changing/ruining the brand of TTS. This would be a new thing. Maybe less viewers just because more people have TBS than Comedy Central?
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page