Old 09-26-2010, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

Talent wise, The Max Weinberg Seven is second to none! And who is best is all a matter of opinion.

It was the "Tonight Show Band" on TTS, because they added Wormworth to the lineup permanently to make the band 8. Wormworth is probably going to fill in for Max in his absence, which is fine by me because it's hilarious when they point out that he doesn't wear shoes.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Talent wise, The Max Weinberg Seven is second to none! And who is best is all a matter of opinion.

If there were no bands, you're correct, Max's band would still come in second.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

If there were no bands, you're correct, Max's band would still come in second.

Last time I checked there were many bands on late night. So what is your point again?
Old 09-26-2010, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Last time I checked there were many bands on late night. So what is your point again?

he just enjoys coming into the various conan threads that there have been over the last year and be an a$$hole.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 View Post

he just enjoys coming into the various conan threads that there have been over the last year and be an a$$hole.

Yeah how dare I have an opinion about a show I watched since it's inception. Perhaps you enjoyed the watered down crapfest he brought to The Tonight Show, but some of us fans thought it sucked. I have high hopes for his new gig. But go ahead childishly thinking that anyone with an opinion contrary to your own is a troll.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 191
TV Notes
Max Weinberg: Open Heart Surgery Influenced My Decision To Leave Conan
By Adam Buckman, Fancast.com - October 7th, 2010

Why did bandleader Max Weinberg decide not to follow Conan O'Brien to TBS?

Blame it on the irresistible lure of the Garden State. In the final analysis, this lifelong Jersey boy says he just couldn't pull up stakes in his home state at age 59 for a new life in La La Land, though he did follow Conan there for his short-lived stint as host of The Tonight Show' on NBC - a gig which abruptly came to an end last January.

The famed drummer - a member of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band since 1974 (since Springsteen's third album, Born to Run) and a fixture in late-night TV as Conan's musical director (and sometime comic foil) for 17 years - talked to Fancast about his decision to withdraw from late-night, revealing for the first time that he underwent life-saving open heart surgery just two weeks after the demise of Conan's Tonight Show' last winter and how this life-changing experience influenced his decision to stay put on the East Coast.

The occasion for the interview was the pending premiere Thursday of a new documentary about Springsteen on HBO - The Promise: The Making of Darkness on the Edge of Town' (9/8c). Weinberg, who appears often in the 90-minute film, shared his own memories of the lengthy process from which the Darkness' album was born - three years after Born to Run' turned Springsteen and his bandmates into international rock stars.

It was finally confirmed a week or so ago that you're not joining Conan on his new TBS late-night show. What happened there? Will we ever see you on TV again, other than documentaries about Bruce Springsteen?
[Laughs] I'm sure you'll see me on television again. You won't see me on an episodic show, that's for sure. I did my time. I loved it. It was great. Frankly, I do prefer living in New Jersey and that was one of the problems I had. I love playing in L.A., but my kids and my wife are back east, and we live part of the time in Italy, so it was hard to structure my life [and have a job in Los Angeles]. I can tell you - I can make a little news here, which I haven't talked about to anybody, but on Feb. 8, I came to the end of a 26-year watchful, waiting odyssey that culminated in 12 hours of massively invasive open heart surgery.

Was it a bypass?
[No] I had valve repair. I found out about this 26 years ago and I knew about it and I monitored it. At the time, there was not much they could do and it wasn't as serious as it became. As I got older, it got worse. Fortunately, the protocols for dealing with it became much more advanced and I found a wonderful doctor in New York who specializes in repairing valves. Two years ago, it became life-threatening and I had to do something about it sooner or later. I did it two weeks after [Conan's Tonight Show'] went off the air.

I'll tell you it was a life-changing experience emotionally and spiritually. I owe my life to these doctors. If you can remember back to how moved David Letterman was when he got back on the air [in February 2000] - he had quintuple bypass surgery. [In valve-repair surgery] they stop your heart. I was on the heart-lung bypass machine for close to seven hours. Did it play into my decision to remain where I am? Maybe. I mean I had three months of very difficult recovery. When I say it was life-changing - I've always been a person who smelled the roses, but everything looks a little brighter. Everything looks a little bit more manageable. Nothing is really that big a deal to me anymore. I've never felt better. I thought I had energy before [but] I'm a thousand percent better. I'm playing better than I ever did. I'm not looking backward. I feel wonderful about where I'm at - physically, personally, professionally.

Do you have anything to add to the story of what happened to Conan? Were you as shocked as anybody else that his Tonight Show' went south that way?
It was very dramatic. At my age, just being in this business for as long as I've been, nothing really surprises me, particularly in the landscape of television. [But] any abrupt ending to anything is shocking. It was very weird and awkward and, of course, I felt really bad for some of the people who moved out there - over a hundred people from New York who really took the hit, people who had purchased homes. I know of one case where the day this news broke, which I think was Jan. 5 or 6, this individual had just closed on a house and that's a real shame.

Let's talk about the HBO documentary about Darkness on the Edge of Town.' Why are we singling out this album for documentary treatment? What's so special about this one?
Of course, I have a somewhat prejudiced opinion - that all of Bruce's albums are special. This record, as the next project that was done after Born to Run,' to me, is extremely reflective of what was going on in music at the time in the late '70s. If you contrast Darkness' and its sound with the sound of Born to Run,' it's quite different. And I knew at the time that Bruce had begun to crystallize what it was he wanted to write about. I always viewed my role and the rest of the musicians as: We're colors in Bruce's palette and I can recall on that record they wanted the drums to be very austere. I think the best example of that is probably the title track, Darkness on the Edge of Town.' Why Darkness' now? Well, why not? It's 33 years later and it's sort of like the old Orson Welles line: No wine before its time.' There was footage that was filmed, it's steeped in history and [so many years later], there's a deeper resonance.

The movie traces the creation of the album and it goes into detail about the painstaking length of time that it took. How do you remember it? Was it satisfying, frustrating, tedious?
I remember it as a full range of emotion - definitely not tedium. Now, I'm not the guy sitting in a room writing the songs. Prior to actually going into the studio in, I believe, June of 1977, we rehearsed everyday at Bruce's house - from like 2 o'clock to 7 o'clock almost everyday and we'd rehearse four or five songs and get them playable. Then he'd come back the next day with four, five or six new songs. That went on for two years! Bruce had to do everything. He had to write the songs. He had to sing the songs. He had to think about what he was trying to say as he was writing it. Really, to be the boss you do have to pay the cost. And that was the cost that he did pay.

Will you watch Conan's new show when it premieres Nov. 8 on TBS?
Absolutely. I hope they do wonderfully well. I'm sure they will. I put a lot of time and effort into creating our little world over there, you know, with the band and the musical direction and what the band contributed, and I trust and I hope that the band retains the profile they had. [Conan] is a brilliant, hard worker. I've been fortunate to have people like Bruce and Conan - you don't run into guys like that very often.

The Promise: The Making of Darkness on the Edge of Town' premieres on HBO Thursday at 9/8c.

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/2010/in...o-leave-conan/
Old 10-07-2010, 08:06 PM

Good luck and best wishes Max! Hopefully you can make some guest appearances on Conan's new show over the years.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Who's gonna drive the drum stand in LA traffic now?
Old 10-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
That's sad! Good luck Max we're going to miss you!

Old 10-10-2010, 11:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

All I can say is I hope the show is funnier than those promos they've been showing on TBS.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Andy Richter Returns to Late Night

TBS confirms Conan O'Brien's longtime sidekick will be back on late-night laugher

By Marisa Guthrie -- Broadcasting & Cable, 10/12/2010 10:51:01 AM

Andy Richter, Conan O'Brien's longtime pal and sidekick, will join the late-night host on his upcoming TBS program. The network confirmed the widely accepted news Oct. 12.

"I'm thrilled to be going back to work with Conan, and very excited to start a whole new venture on TBS. However, I am mostly looking forward to getting out of the house again," Richter said in a statement.

O'Brien added, "This decision was made without my authority. I will get to the bottom of this."

O'Brien's new late-night entry has been receiving copious promotion during TBS' coverage of MLB playoffs. Richter, who also toured with O'Brien's "Legally Prohibited From Being Funny on Television Tour," also hosted last summer's Team Coco Presents: The Conan Writers Live special.

Conan bows Nov. 8 at 11 p.m. The show will originate from Stage 15 at Warner Bros. Studios where Richter will assume his position on O'Brien's sofa.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...Late_Night.php

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Old 10-12-2010, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I really wish Conan would lose the beard. It was funny for awhile, but I miss his old look. I know, that's really hetero of me, lol.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

I really wish Conan would lose the beard. It was funny for awhile, but I miss his old look. I know, that's really hetero of me, lol.

It's very obvious that TBS has made Conan trim the beard, because it is very well maintained. Conan did not have the same neat beard when he grew the Strike Beard two years ago.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:

It will probably be gone when the show starts.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I saw the Conan blimp over Baltimore today.

http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/reg...town-baltimore

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Old 10-13-2010, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

I saw the Conan blimp over Baltimore today.

Did you check in on Foursquare?

Old 10-19-2010, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Conan Names New House Band for TBS Show
By Dylan Stableford, TheWrap.com - October 19th, 2010

Conan O'Brien has named his house band for his new TBS show: Jimmy Vivino -- former associate music director, arranger, guitarist and vocalist for Conan's Tonight Show stint and Late Night years -- will lead the group, dubbed Jimmy Vivino and the Basic Cable Band.

Vivino -- who ostensibly takes the spot of Max Weinberg and the Max Weinberg 7 -- will be with O'Brien for the debut of Conan on Nov. 8.

Weinberg -- a member of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band since 1974 and a fixture in late-night TV as Conan's musical director (and sometime comic foil) for 17 years -- recently revealed that he underwent life-saving open-heart surgery just two weeks after the demise of Conan's "Tonight Show.

Weinberg decided not to make the permanent move to Los Angeles, where Conan will tape.

Here's the rest of Vivino's Basic Cable Band: Scott Healy (keyboards); Mike Merritt (bass); Mark Pender (trumpet); Richie LaBamba Rosenberg (trombone); Jerry Vivino (saxophone, woodwinds and vocals); and James Wormworth (drums).

http://www.thewrap.com/television/co...tbs-show-21819
Old 10-19-2010, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I think that's the best thing he could've done
Old 10-19-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if the stage will have Jimmy be the centerpiece of the band, or if the drums will still be in an elevated position as before? It'll certainly be a change to have Jimmy be the focal point of the band!

Old 10-19-2010, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

It's very obvious that TBS has made Conan trim the beard....

To whom? It's entirely possible he decided to trim it himself.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 10-19-2010, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

It will probably be gone when the show starts.

It's on all the promotional materials now, so maybe not.

I really don't think anyone cares whether he has a beard or not. Why would anyone care? Because he's not "clean shaven"? No man on television has been clean shaven since Lost debuted, except on Mad Men.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I kind-of like the beard. It reminds me of the first batch of writer-less "Late Night" shows Conan did after the Writer's Strike ended, when Conan was at his absolute best and loosest. I'd love it if "Conan" harkened back to that particular era of "Late Night," of which the beard was an integral part. Remember the ring spinning on the desk, or the zip line from the audience to stop John Wilkes Booth from killing Abraham Lincoln?
Old 10-19-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

It reminds me of the first batch of writer-less "Late Night" shows Conan did after the Writer's Strike ended.

Those shows were before the strike ended. Conan was given an exemption to continue his show without writers.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:

I think that's the best thing he could've done

If you're talking about having a new band, I agree 100%.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionelLines View Post

If you're talking about having a new band, I agree 100%.

it's a lot of the old band, i meant.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it's a lot of the old band, i meant.

Its the entire old band. Even Wormworth, who used to be the fill-in drummer when Max was on tour.

Wormworth has a habit of playing drums barefoot. Conan once took Wormworth to get a pedicure, and filmed the whole bit.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Not as funny as Max hopefully he steps up his game, yes those strike episodes were awesome! When he goes on tour to certain cities it's good too, wonder if he can still do it with TBS.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Old 10-20-2010, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

If you ever wanted to watch Labamba do a 1000 piece puzzle in a hallway - nows the time
Old 10-20-2010, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 View Post

http://www.teamcoco.com

I'm voting for Conan's first guest on TBS.. I want someone funny...

he could just trash Bieber or make Lady Gaga take it off? LOL

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13