Haven on Syfy-HD - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #301 of 329 Old 10-22-2015, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Honestly, if it hadn't been announced that this will be the final season, I would have given up on it. With the end so close, I feel obligated to finish it out. If it were going to drag on for another few years, I'd just drop it now.
I know that feeling and understand completely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 329 Old 10-23-2015, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Honestly, if it hadn't been announced that this will be the final season, I would have given up on it. With the end so close, I feel obligated to finish it out. If it were going to drag on for another few years, I'd just drop it now.
I know that feeling and understand completely.

Be careful! That logic led me to watch ALL of Ugly Betty and According To Jim.
I like to use baseball rules. 3 strikes....
post #303 of 329 Old 10-23-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
So, right after I complained about the season, I actually thought this week's episode was pretty decent.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #304 of 329 Old 10-23-2015, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Not digging this season very much. The whole premise of this last episode was pointless since we knew that the outcome of the trial didn't matter at all. Why waste an episode on it?
Just watched it and eyes still rolling - desperate race against time to save the injured girl before she falls asleep, and Dwight and Charlotte look like they're on a Sunday stroll, even stopping to chat every few steps...

The trial was supposed to be just a stall to buy enough time to rescue the girl. But until the trial started all the mob wanted was banishment - why not just stall along with that, considering no one but Duke can get through the fog anyway?

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #305 of 329 Old 11-13-2015, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

"Is anybody out there"?

I guess I'm the only one still watching the show? The story line has at least picked up.
post #306 of 329 Old 11-13-2015, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
I guess I'm the only one still watching the show? The story line has at least picked up.
I'm sticking it out to the bitter end - only a few eps to go. It's not great by any means but it seems like it knows its limitations better than a lot of syfy shows and the scoobie-gang of characters is likable enough to keep you rooting for them...
Doug Wallen likes this.

CC

post #307 of 329 Old 11-13-2015, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3318 Post(s)
Liked: 6160
I really enjoyed last nights episode, Just Passing Through. I'm gonna miss this show once it's gone.
ltownsend and Doug Wallen like this.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
post #308 of 329 Old 11-13-2015, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I'm still here. The last two episodes have been much better than most of this season, nice tie back to Hallie, maybe some of the other plot-lines and devices that seemed like one-offs will turn out to be at least linked into the finale.

v/r,
C-F
post #309 of 329 Old 11-13-2015, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 366
I thought this latest episode was excellent. Fantastic story to begin to tie together so many loose ends from all of the seasons. I loved how the stolen camera was used for the famous newspaper shot. Brilliant.
post #310 of 329 Old 12-12-2015, 08:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Shat rocks. Lots happening. How will the gang free Duke from the grasp of The Shat and save Haven? Gonna be a bittersweet 2 hour series finale next week.
Keenan and tomhunter8 like this.

post #311 of 329 Old 12-18-2015, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I've loved this show since day one and will greatly miss it. However, I'm really pissed that they killed off my favorite character. Other than that I thought it was a pretty good ending.

I also think it would have been better to have a different actor play Croatoan. In my opinion Shatner is just way too campy. I think someone like Richard Dean Anderson would have been much better.
ltownsend likes this.
post #312 of 329 Old 12-18-2015, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought the last scene with the two of them in the " new barn" was a bit campy perhaps? The way they turned Duke into the "bad guy" was rather a let down.
ltownsend and tomhunter8 like this.
post #313 of 329 Old 12-19-2015, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 60
If Audrey was needed in order to make the "new barn" work, then how come she was able to leave?
post #314 of 329 Old 12-19-2015, 03:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Although the dialog was about being needed to energize it, they didn't actually say anything about her staying there once it was energized.

Now you could ask the question about then why was there so much drama about her leaving if she was able to return to Nathan but maybe "Audry" didn't know that she could return.

The whole returning as someone else with James so they could fall in love again was an interesting twist. Nathan was already in love with Audry so wouldn't this just be for her to fall in love with Nathan?
post #315 of 329 Old 12-19-2015, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
The whole returning as someone else with James so they could fall in love again was an interesting twist. Nathan was already in love with Audry so wouldn't this just be for her to fall in love with Nathan?
I was wondering about that too. Obviously Nathan (and other people in town) have memories about what has happened regarding the troubles. And as you mentioned Nathan is already in love with Audrey. And while Audrey was in the "new barn" she apparently had memories because she wanted to go back to Haven as another person. But does Paige have Audrey's memories? I'm thinking she does not because when Audrey first appeared in Haven IIRC she didn't know about her past or the barn. IOW returning to Earth erases your past memories. Does that sound about right?
post #316 of 329 Old 12-19-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post
If Audrey was needed in order to make the "new barn" work, then how come she was able to leave?
My take on it was that the experience in the tower and the new barn changed Croatoan so that he now has unconditional love for his daughter. Therefore her love was no longer required and Croatoan could make the barn work.

I think it was symbolic that she fixed his trouble just like she has always fixed everyone's troubles in Haven, by making them realize what the deep down issue was and how to overcome it.
post #317 of 329 Old 12-19-2015, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
I was wondering about that too. Obviously Nathan (and other people in town) have memories about what has happened regarding the troubles. And as you mentioned Nathan is already in love with Audrey. And while Audrey was in the "new barn" she apparently had memories because she wanted to go back to Haven as another person. But does Paige have Audrey's memories? I'm thinking she does not because when Audrey first appeared in Haven IIRC she didn't know about her past or the barn. IOW returning to Earth erases your past memories. Does that sound about right?
That works for me.

Now....what's the deal about James? Wasn't that the name of the Colorado kid and whose love child is he? Nathan's?
post #318 of 329 Old 12-19-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That works for me.

Now....what's the deal about James? Wasn't that the name of the Colorado kid and whose love child is he? Nathan's?
I wondered about that too & am trying to piece things together.

Audrey (or was it Sarah or Lucy?) did have a son & IIRC his name was James. But he died or was killed in the barn - or something like that.

At one point Nathan went back in time & had a fling with Sarah or Lucy. So Nathan could be the father of at least one kid named James.

Now Paige appears with a baby James. Was Audrey pregnant with Nathan’s child before & she went into the “new barn”?

But didn’t Paige show up something like only one month after the “new barn” disappeared with Audrey & friends? If so, then Audrey’s pregnancy & baby James development happened very quickly. Or does time move faster in the “new barn”? Or can Croatoan still make weird things happen?

Or are all the James the same person with some kind of a twisted timeline?
post #319 of 329 Old 12-23-2015, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I thought the last scene with the two of them in the " new barn" was a bit campy perhaps? The way they turned Duke into the "bad guy" was rather a let down.
As it unfolded it's hard to see what role Duke could have played as a good guy. He redeemed himself by leading Nathan to Audrey and showing Dwight how to keep his daughter from disappearing...

CC

post #320 of 329 Old 12-23-2015, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I wondered about that too & am trying to piece things together.

Audrey (or was it Sarah or Lucy?) did have a son & IIRC his name was James. But he died or was killed in the barn - or something like that.

At one point Nathan went back in time & had a fling with Sarah or Lucy. So Nathan could be the father of at least one kid named James.

Now Paige appears with a baby James. Was Audrey pregnant with Nathan’s child before & she went into the “new barn”?

But didn’t Paige show up something like only one month after the “new barn” disappeared with Audrey & friends? If so, then Audrey’s pregnancy & baby James development happened very quickly. Or does time move faster in the “new barn”? Or can Croatoan still make weird things happen?

Or are all the James the same person with some kind of a twisted timeline?
I don't think there's supposed to be a logical explanation. I'm not a King fan but I did slog through the Dark Tower series and it had a similar back-to-square-one ending - it just seemed to me like King couldn't think of a real ending so he just faked it. Haven was at least more satisfactory than that...
Doug Wallen likes this.

CC

post #321 of 329 Old 12-23-2015, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Fare thee well, Haven. Fare thee well.
Keenan and tomhunter8 like this.

post #322 of 329 Old 12-23-2015, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I don't think there's supposed to be a logical explanation. I'm not a King fan but I did slog through the Dark Tower series and it had a similar back-to-square-one ending - it just seemed to me like King couldn't think of a real ending so he just faked it. Haven was at least more satisfactory than that...
I have read the entire series of The Dark Tower books. My favorite story along with "It". The Stand is of course the one always mentioned. The ending of the Gunslinger series was rather a letdown but still good considering. Maybe because the other books in the series are so intensely written. I wonder when they finalize the movie, how will it compare against the books? My favorite book is when Blaine the insane train is introduced! That whole storyline is Stephen King in a nutshell.
post #323 of 329 Old 12-23-2015, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have read the entire series of The Dark Tower books. My favorite story along with "It". The Stand is of course the one always mentioned. The ending of the Gunslinger series was rather a letdown but still good considering. Maybe because the other books in the series are so intensely written. I wonder when they finalize the movie, how will it compare against the books? My favorite book is when Blaine the insane train is introduced! That whole storyline is Stephen King in a nutshell.
I obviously didn't hate Dark Tower or I wouldn't have finished it. Parts of it were pretty good, but I think 3 or 4 books should have sufficed to tell the story, and it didn't leave me with any desire to read any of his others. I'm not saying he's bad or anything, just not my cup of tea...

CC

post #324 of 329 Old 12-23-2015, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
As it unfolded it's hard to see what role Duke could have played as a good guy. He redeemed himself by leading Nathan to Audrey and showing Dwight how to keep his daughter from disappearing...
I agree, but it was very sad for me to think of Duke not being a part of the new Haven. It wouldn't be the same without him.
ltownsend likes this.
post #325 of 329 Old 12-23-2015, 07:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
You guys are giving way more thought to the show's ending than the writers did.

As if Eric Balfour wasn't already a terrible actor, his scenes as Evil Duke were just flat-out embarrassing to watch. I felt bad for the other actors who had to appear in scenes with him.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #326 of 329 Old 12-23-2015, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post
I agree, but it was very sad for me to think of Duke not being a part of the new Haven. It wouldn't be the same without him.

Agree. Haven without Duke won't be the same. However...

Quote:
You guys are giving way more thought to the show's ending than the writers did.

As if Eric Balfour wasn't already a terrible actor, his scenes as Evil Duke were just flat-out embarrassing to watch. I felt bad for the other actors who had to appear in scenes with him.
I thought the same thing. Evil Duke was hard to watch.

post #327 of 329 Old 12-23-2015, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post
My take on it was that the experience in the tower and the new barn changed Croatoan so that he now has unconditional love for his daughter. Therefore her love was no longer required and Croatoan could make the barn work.

I think it was symbolic that she fixed his trouble just like she has always fixed everyone's troubles in Haven, by making them realize what the deep down issue was and how to overcome it.
Quote:
You guys are giving way more thought to the show's ending than the writers did. ...
I might have hoped for Croatoan to come out a little earlier so Audrey had more time to work her magic. The heel-turn was a little abrupt and Shatner didn't sell it for me. Mara's boyfriend had a much more believable arc.

v/r,
C-F
post #328 of 329 Old 12-24-2015, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I actually laughed when Croatoan was revealed. The monster responsible for SO MUCH pain and suffering was--SHATNER! Was that type-casting? It was just too funny.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #329 of 329 Old 12-26-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
That works for me.

Yes, James was shot by Dave, ( under Shater's influence), in the early 1980's, on the beach, hence the Colorado Kid Newspaper photograph.
He was Lucy's son, & the love child of Nathan & Lucy, when Nathan went back to the 1950's and did the "deed" with her ...
I guess Vince was able to "grab" James out of time as an infant, & put both Audrey and James back into Haven today to be with Nathan ...... Nathan knew exactly who the kid in the back seat was ...
Sharp1080, JimP and Doug Wallen like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page