Haven on Syfy-HD - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 247 Old 07-15-2010, 10:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 330
The scenery was nice and a detective who can't feel pain was fairly fresh but the rest of it was just a vacuum.

Only a handful of characters, a town that hardly has a whiff of mystery beyond an old photo, no memorable points of interest or quirky oddball characters beyond the newspaper guys (who were not that odd) ...

I must have missed it but how did the Fed heroine instantly jump to the conclusion that the obvious solution was that De Boer could control the weather? Is she an X-Men fan?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 247 Old 07-17-2010, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SyFy seems to be playing around with Haven's schedule. "Butterfly" was last night, and will be aired several more times in the next week. According to the SyFy Haven website ( http://www.syfy.com/schedule/index.p...rch_text=haven ) , next Friday night, July 23, will be "Harmony," with "Consumed" on July 30 and "Ball and Chain" on August 6. But the IMDB schedule ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1519931/tvschedule ) lists "Ball and Chain" for July 23, and "Harmony" being shown for the first time on Saturday morning July 24 at 9:00 am. For what it's worth, my DVR agrees with IMDB and shows that I'll be recording the shows in that order. Also, IMDB lists "Butterfly" as episode 1.3, "Ball and Chain" as 1.5 and "Harmony" as 1.4. What's episode 1.2? "Consumed", which according to SyFy isn't going to shown until July 30, and isn't on IMDB's list yet.

I haven't watched "Butterfly" yet, so I don't know if it's clear that it's out of sequence, but why would SyFy be doing this, why not just show them in order?
post #33 of 247 Old 07-17-2010, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hawley View Post

SyFy seems to be playing around with Haven's schedule. "Butterfly" was last night, and will be aired several more times in the next week. According to the SyFy Haven website ( http://www.syfy.com/schedule/index.p...rch_text=haven ) , next Friday night, July 23, will be "Harmony," with "Consumed" on July 30 and "Ball and Chain" on August 6. But the IMDB schedule ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1519931/tvschedule ) lists "Ball and Chain" for July 23, and "Harmony" being shown for the first time on Saturday morning July 24 at 9:00 am. For what it's worth, my DVR agrees with IMDB and shows that I'll be recording the shows in that order. Also, IMDB lists "Butterfly" as episode 1.3, "Ball and Chain" as 1.5 and "Harmony" as 1.4. What's episode 1.2? "Consumed", which according to SyFy isn't going to shown until July 30, and isn't on IMDB's list yet.

I haven't watched "Butterfly" yet, so I don't know if it's clear that it's out of sequence, but why would SyFy be doing this, why not just show them in order?

I usually check out thefutoncritic for program listings:
http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch/h...-kid/listings/

I don't know why they are showing them out of sequence, I don't take it as a positive, anytime the schedulers start airing things out of sequence, I figure they think the show is moving to slowly and they want to jump start it, I didn't see much that would have been out of sequence(maybe one thing), but the show was pretty much(or seemed to be) a standalone episode from everything I could tell.

I'll keep watching, because I'm a sucker for Friday night sci-fi shows, but it hasn't hooked me by any means.
post #34 of 247 Old 07-17-2010, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Enjoy Friday nights as much as possible as Syfy is going to move all their Friday night shows to Tuesdays in the Fall.

Argee
post #35 of 247 Old 07-17-2010, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

Enjoy Friday nights as much as possible as Syfy is going to move all their Friday night shows to Tuesdays in the Fall.

I hadn't heard that one. I can live with Tuesday's ok, I have no problem catching Warehouse 13 and Eureka used to be on Tuesdays. I hope they keep some of their main shows on Fridays though, it's a tradition. The Stargates, BSG, etc...
post #36 of 247 Old 07-17-2010, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I don't think that they are showing them out of sequence.

Last night's episode clearly followed from the pilot, with her being new in town... and at the end being offered a permanent job to stay there.

Lots of shows are actually shot out of order... so they carry episode numbers in the order in which they are shot, not necessarily the order in which they are intended to be aired.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #37 of 247 Old 07-29-2010, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This show is kind of bland and boring. I'm about ready to give up on it.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #38 of 247 Old 07-29-2010, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I don't think that they are showing them out of sequence.

Last night's episode clearly followed from the pilot, with her being new in town... and at the end being offered a permanent job to stay there.

Lots of shows are actually shot out of order... so they carry episode numbers in the order in which they are shot, not necessarily the order in which they are intended to be aired.

I think the 2nd or 3rd show could have been shot in any sequence, the 2nd one shown she was offered a job, in the 3rd one shown, nothing was really mentioned during the episode about it, the start of the show recapping last weeks show did show that she had been asked to join up, but nothing in the actual episode really referred to it.

It's still something to watch on Friday nights, of course I really enjoyed Painkiller Jane and it was evidently a real stinker in the ratings, so what do I know.
post #39 of 247 Old 07-30-2010, 12:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

This show is kind of bland and boring. I'm about ready to give up on it.

I've got one more episode left in me. For the past two I was FF through some of it.

For a show with the name of the town in the title you would think the town itself would be somewhat unique but Haven is the least-quirky quirky-town I've seen on television. The show makes it less interesting than the real location probably is. I expect the real Nova Scotia town is full of colorful locals with interesting real stories but Haven is populated with some of the most unmemorable people I've ever seen on television.

It's not helped by the fact the regular cast is so small for such a large place. Difficult to get invested in the titular place when the town is hardly discussed and only three or four people appear on a weekly basis and the lead is so uninteresting.

People criticized Balfour for being on the show but at this point he is the only character I've seen which has any signs of life or energy.

They should have scrapped the "mystery" and the really, really slight references to something supernatural and just made a regular show about a small town in Maine, like Northern Exposure. It's not as if you would miss the tiny element of fantasy that Haven has.

post #40 of 247 Old 07-30-2010, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I hate how every episode the last 2 minutes is actually about the Colorado Kid. For a show saying it is based on Stephen King's novel, there have been about 6 minutes so far about his novel.

post #41 of 247 Old 07-30-2010, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I'll probably watch the remaining 3 episodes of this summer season. There's something weak about this production and I don't think it is the acting so much or maybe even the writing. Seems to be the directing.
post #42 of 247 Old 07-30-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I've got one more episode left in me. For the past two I was FF through some of it.

For a show with the name of the town in the title you would think the town itself would be somewhat unique but Haven is the least-quirky quirky-town I've seen on television. The show makes it less interesting than the real location probably is. I expect the real Nova Scotia town is full of colorful locals with interesting real stories but Haven is populated with some of the most unmemorable people I've ever seen on television.

It's not helped by the fact the regular cast is so small for such a large place. Difficult to get invested in the titular place when the town is hardly discussed and only three or four people appear on a weekly basis and the lead is so uninteresting.

People criticized Balfour for being on the show but at this point he is the only character I've seen which has any signs of life or energy.

They should have scrapped the "mystery" and the really, really slight references to something supernatural and just made a regular show about a small town in Maine, like Northern Exposure. It's not as if you would miss the tiny element of fantasy that Haven has.

Balfour - the weak link on the show and who bores me to death. Beyond boring ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
post #43 of 247 Old 07-30-2010, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffyrose123 View Post

Balfour - the weak link on the show and who bores me to death.

Are there any strong links on the show? There are no characters with any personality and considering there's only a handful, you would think the show would have plenty of time to make them interesting.

post #44 of 247 Old 07-30-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:

Are there any strong links on the show? There are no characters with any personality and considering there's only a handful, you would think the show would have plenty of time to make them interesting.

The two leads are dull as hell, the female reminds me a bit of Anna Torv in the first season of "Fringe", pretty flat until she started to open up in S2.
post #45 of 247 Old 07-31-2010, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

This last episode had a better flow, had much more a feel of a mystery show and I liked the cinematography. But then the editor went crazy with flash cutting which got VERY annoying. Hey! It's not a rock video! I wonder what is going on at that production company?
post #46 of 247 Old 07-31-2010, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
SCI FI needs better writers, and productions.
post #47 of 247 Old 07-31-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:

Gotta disagree.. Like everyone except Belfour/Duke !
post #48 of 247 Old 08-01-2010, 01:45 AM

Liked: 17
If someone suffers from depression then this show will push them over the edge. Yes, you heard it here first.

The female lead is wooden, uncharismatic and seems a little, well I don't know, frustrated. The acting in this show in general has been terrible. But the character I hate the most in this show is Audrey's FBI manager/director/handler. He has this smug look on his face and smiles WAYYYYY too often and he also seems to just give in to her every whim.

"I want to take some vacation time since I completed my first assignment" ? Yeah, well take several weeks of vacation, you earned it. Don't worry too much about that rental car , I know it's weighing heavily on your conscience but it's not coming out of your paycheck". "Aarrrrg, pulls the trigger".

Whatever.
post #49 of 247 Old 08-01-2010, 03:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I officially have no feelings for this show whatsoever. I'm done.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #50 of 247 Old 08-01-2010, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Balfour on his twits has been begging for people to who know folks with Nielsen boxes to watch the show so he can stay employed. Now beginning to wonder if wacky editing in the last episode was due to angry editor told the show isn't going to get renewed.

In other hands this might have been a great series.
post #51 of 247 Old 08-01-2010, 02:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 310
The exchange between the 2 brothers after the grand opening went sour was some of the worst acting I've ever seen, especially the brother who was not the chef.

The show has possibilities but it just seems way off-key somewhere, it's just not coming together in my opinion.

I also agree that the Balfour character is easily the most interesting character on the show, in fact, more of him and less of the deputy would be a positive improvement.
post #52 of 247 Old 08-01-2010, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I also agree that the Balfour character is easily the most interesting character on the show, in fact, more of him and less of the deputy would be a positive improvement.

There's "strong and silent" and "lifeless and quiet."

The deputy is the latter. Which considering he has the interesting character trait of being painless, you would think would have made him instantly cool but they never do anything with that ability.

The guy could be casually walking around in scenes with bones sticking out of him and have literal battle scars from previous incidents with some cool or ridiculous stories behind them.

But the show treats him like it does the town. Completely normal to the point of banal. Which is exactly what you don't want on the channel that begs you to "imagine greater" because clearly the audience can and Syfy cannot.

I wouldn't even say Balfour's character is interesting. It's just he's the only actor giving any sort of energy or spark to a scene.

post #53 of 247 Old 08-01-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

If someone suffers from depression then this show will push them over the edge. Yes, you heard it here first.

The female lead is wooden, uncharismatic and seems a little, well I don't know, frustrated. The acting in this show in general has been terrible. But the character I hate the most in this show is Audrey's FBI manager/director/handler. He has this smug look on his face and smiles WAYYYYY too often and he also seems to just give in to her every whim.

"I want to take some vacation time since I completed my first assignment" ? Yeah, well take several weeks of vacation, you earned it. Don't worry too much about that rental car , I know it's weighing heavily on your conscience but it's not coming out of your paycheck". "Aarrrrg, pulls the trigger".

Whatever.

did you miss the conversation after that where it was obviously his intent that she stay in the town?
post #54 of 247 Old 08-01-2010, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I think I've given up on this show now... because I barely watched Friday and didn't feel bad about it.

Not going to thread-crap and complain... just bow out silently since I'll not have anything positive to say anymore.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #55 of 247 Old 08-02-2010, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

Whatever.

the character you hate the most has had a few minutes of air time in one of the four that have aired and you pick him to hate?

I hate the guy that was in the background for 15 seconds in episode 3.

Argee
post #56 of 247 Old 08-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
They even made Mr Leahy from 'The Trailer Park Boys' boring.
post #57 of 247 Old 08-20-2010, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Audrey is a lot more likable, especially when she's giving Nathan a hard time. she's certainly developing a sense of humor. I like Jess too.

Nathan: So you saw the prowler?
Jess: A glimpse. Barely. He was 6'7". One Eyebrow. Fu Manchu. Carried a small slingshot. Had a tattoo.
Nathan: Of what?
Audrey: Does it matter? He was a 6'7", Unibrow, Sling-Shotty monster.
post #58 of 247 Old 08-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 101
The wife and I are definitely liking this show.
post #59 of 247 Old 08-22-2010, 03:36 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcc View Post

did you miss the conversation after that where it was obviously his intent that she stay in the town?

Nope, I watched the final conversation but the delivery of said conversation was convoluted, campy, unrealistic and just plain ridiculous.

Quote:

the character you hate the most has had a few minutes of air time in one of the four that have aired and you pick him to hate?

Definitely because his actions stuck out the most in the limited time he spent on screen. His awkward facial expressions, to his crappy dialog was just too campy and unrealistic to take. He just had this happy-go-lucky expression on his face that everything was fine, 'yeah, go have your vacation, after all the super hard work you've done'....that is very unlike how normal FBI director/handlers operate.

His smug look in every scene just confirmed the ridiculousness of it all. He would have given in to Audreys EVERY whim. I'll tell what; if she had committed murder, then he would have smiled and given her a big paycheck. That's how inhuman and ridiculous he is.

Given his few minutes of air time, he is the WORST character EVER in a TV show.
post #60 of 247 Old 08-22-2010, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

God some poor guy gets 4 minutes of airtime out of the 400 plus minutes of this show that has aired and he is deemed the worst TV character of all time. Wow, tough critic.

Argee
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page