post #121 of 142 Old 09-15-2011, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmaace01 View Post
I was thinking the same and then I realized it's probably not easy to have a kid that young "act gay" and be flamboyant because they might not understand it fully.
Not "gay"; "pre-gay"! I thought that was the funniest line of the whole episode.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 142 Old 09-15-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post

I thought the last two episodes were just tremendous. I loved seeing Bill Buckner given the opportunity to own his place in cultural history and also the Michael J Fox jokes were fantastic.

I knew they could never top last season but this year was much better then I was anticipating.

I couldn't agree more with everything you wrote.

MJF was perfect, and he's a great sport. I would love to see him do more cameos or bit parts if he feels like it. He's so good at acting and being funny, and he's immensely likable. I could watch him a lot more and never get tired of him.

I have no idea how hard doing a show like Curb is on him physically, but if he can handle more of it, and if he wants to, I hope he gets more work like this. I know he doesn't need it, as I've heard him say in interviews that he and his family are lucky that he never needs to work again, but the world is a better place with MJF in it, and it's nice to see him out and about on TV. I also know he stays very busy with his fund raising for Parkinson's.
post #123 of 142 Old 09-15-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I really felt like this season was going to be a letdown after the great seinfeld reunion but it ended up being one of my favorite seasons. This even though there really was no overarching story as he usually does

Robert Clark
post #124 of 142 Old 09-15-2011, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post
I have no idea how hard doing a show like Curb is on him physically, but if he can handle more of it, and if he wants to, I hope he gets more work like this. I know he doesn't need it, as I've heard him say in interviews that he and his family are lucky that he never needs to work again, but the world is a better place with MFJ in it, and it's nice to see him out and about on TV. I also know he stays very busy with his fund raising for Parkinson's.
Fox has a recurring role on The Good Wife and his character uses his condition as a legal tactic when necessary and the characters acknowledge it as such.

Seeing Fox do the same as himself and Larry challenge him was funny and honest. Best way to remove a stigma is to jump headfirst into the subject and force the viewer to acknowledge it. Not many shows will do that.

post #125 of 142 Old 09-16-2011, 03:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just love my sewing machine!
post #126 of 142 Old 04-27-2013, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Any news for 'Curb returning in 2013?
post #127 of 142 Old 05-20-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Clear History | a Larry David movie

written by

Larry David
Alec Berg
Jeff Schaffer
David Mandel

directed by

Greg Mottola

starring

Larry David
Kate Hudson
Phillip Baker Hall
Bill Hader
Amy Ryan
Danny McBride
Eva Mendes
JB Smoove
Jon Hamm
Michael Keaton

2014. HBO.

Nathan Flomm (David), a former marketing executive at a start-up electric car company who, after losing a fortune due to a petty argument with his boss, is publicly humiliated for walking away from his 10 percent of a company now worth billions. Ten years later, his marriage over and reputation ruined, Nathan has changed his identity and lives a simple life on a small island off the coast of Massachusetts under the new name of Rolly DaVore. But when his former boss (Hamm) shows up to renovate his summer mansion, Nathan vows to seek his revenge and drive his nemesis off the island.

Hader will play Rags, the friend and henchman of an eccentric local quarry owner (Hall) who agrees to help David's character settle the old debt. Hudson is set as the Hamm's character's glamorous wife. Keaton will portray the erratic and eccentric operator of the quarry. McBride is taking on the best-buddy role. Mendes is set as an islander who takes an off-handed suggestion from David's character a bit too seriously, causing him no end of trouble. Smoove will play the ex-boyfriend of Mendes' character. Ryan is on board as the ex-girlfriend of David's character who has been hiding an explicit secret since before they dated.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/larry-david-clear-history-phillip-baker-hall-kate-hudson-michael-keaton-eva-mendes-amy-ryan-370241
post #128 of 142 Old 05-20-2013, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

Any news for 'Curb returning in 2013?

HBO has said that it is "cautiously optimistic" that David will do a ninth season. The network's president of programming, Michael Lombardo, commented, "For the first time ever after this season Larry didn't say 'I never want to do this again.'" wikipedia.com

"I'd say it looks good but it won't be any time soon," [Jeff] Garlin said of a potential ninth season. digitalspy.com

It doesn't look too good for Season 9. me

Arvy
post #129 of 142 Old 08-02-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

The Clear History movie is next week!? wow! eek.gif

http://www.hbo.com/movies/clear-history/index.html

Saturday, August 10, 2013 at 9:00 PM CST
post #130 of 142 Old 08-05-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 314
For those who get the Golf Channel, Larry David will be on Feherty tonight. Should be funny.
post #131 of 142 Old 08-05-2013, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

For those who get the Golf Channel, Larry David will be on Feherty tonight. Should be funny.

My guide shows it is on next week (8/12).
post #132 of 142 Old 08-05-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnevar View Post

My guide shows it is on next week (8/12).

Right you are. I must have zipped through my to do list and didn’t notice I was a week ahead.
post #133 of 142 Old 08-10-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

20 more minutes!
post #134 of 142 Old 08-10-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Incredible biggrin.gif
post #135 of 142 Old 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
No bigger Larry David fan than me, but Clear History was a bomb. With line up of stars it had should have been better.

These are just my opinions.
post #136 of 142 Old 08-11-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post

No bigger Larry David fan than me, but Clear History was a bomb. With line up of stars it had should have been better.

Way to harsh my buzz, dude. frown.gif

Seriously, even mediocre Larry David is better than no Larry David, the way I look at it. Looking forward to this. He has veys of making you laff.
post #137 of 142 Old 08-11-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

I don't think it was a bomb, but it was fairly decent at best. Here's hoping that we get another season of Curb Your Enthusiasm, which is a format far better suited for Larry David's schtick.
post #138 of 142 Old 08-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Larry: I like it when you yell and bitch about everything... Just Not at FULL VOLUME, all the time.. Thought is was pretty good, and the music was good, of course I'm old... When Larry walked into his surprise Birthday Party and saw JB.... Beautiful!!
post #139 of 142 Old 08-11-2013, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I liked it a lot and laughed out loud several times. I think it will contribute to HBO's Emmy haul next year. The Chicago plot line and music were an added bonus since they were one of my favorite bands back in my Marine Corps days. Yeah, I'm old too! smile.gif
post #140 of 142 Old 08-11-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

I enjoyed it. And I laughed out loud a number of times.

But some of the characters were "drawn" (or performed, remembering that this is largely improv) not so well. For example, the Michael Keaton character was probably much less amusing than it could have been. The original encounter in the diner with the general contractor character was just plain not good.

And the Bill Hader character? Definitely undeveloped, and unfunny. Was he trying to be unfunny? Or was he told to be unfunny? Whatever... he was unfunny.

I did enjoy the assortment of female characters, especially the bizarre implementation of Jennifer (and her strange dialect) by Eva Mendes. I thought her interactions with Larry were hilarious, and also kind of sad/sweet like the closing scene in the bar where we see that she HAS regained her weight, just as actually always-right Larry predicted.

Also, the female owner of the "Happy As A Clam" restaurant and her wit, personality, sarcasm, and general demeanor was terrific.

On the other hand, Amy Ryan's former girlfriend character was just disappointing. Definitely not subtle and comedic. She's a terrific actress (I remember her vs. Dominic West, as a port security officer in one season of "The Wire"), but this role did not suit her and kind of bothered me.

But I really enjoyed the Liev Schreiber character, and the fact that even he too was a Howard owner.

Also, the whole Jon Hamm / Kate Hudson pair... too one-dimensional and artificial. I didn't really find the scene where Larry and Kate interact with their two cars, and he follows his misguided intuition and kisses her to which she reacts meanly, producing any of the expected or desired reactions from me. I didn't find it sad, funny, unfortunate, sympathetic... nothing. Just not funny, and I also didn't like either of them or their points of view.

And the JB Smoove character? Very very unlikable. Obviously there in an attempt to recreate the amusing chemistry and weird improbable character interaction storyline from "Curb", it didn't amuse me at all.

I did like the premise concept, and the ubiquitous presence of "the Howard" car which like the onslaught of small Japanese cars into the US when that first happened seemingly occupied 1 out of 3 parking spaces (and which obviously must have made zillions of dollars for the manufacturers). But other than maybe a dozen or so really great zingers ("Howard? You can't call a car Howard! It's like calling a restaurant Hepatitis!"), and some great group scenes (e.g. at the poker table), I found the total comedic result to fall short.
post #141 of 142 Old 08-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Don't forget that Larry is on Golf Channel. If you forgot, it will be shown quite a few times throughout the week. Thanks Aliens. I watch quite a bit of sports but only watch the actual competition and pay no attention to in-studio programs. I would have missed it without your post.
post #142 of 142 Old 08-19-2013, 01:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 376
I only just saw Clear History but I unfortunately chose to watch the last season of Curb before that. Apart from Clear History coming across like The New Adventures of Larry David it actually took entire routines from Curb - like the sincere apology exchange - and Danny McBride was almost a stand-in for Jeff Garlin.

The riffs got better when Kate Hudson appeared and it had some neat cameos but Clear History only really had enough good material for an hour. I would have preferred to see a one hour Curb with Larry David on vacation at Martha's Vineyard. The plot for History was barely a disguise.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page