AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
HBO's Curb To Run Again In 2011

Larry David Series To Return For Eighth Campaign With 10 New Episodes

Mike Reynolds -- Multichannel News, 4/20/2010 2:53:14 PM

Larry David will give fans of his curmudgeonly comedy another season.

Premium network HBO has renewed Curb Your Enthusiasm for a 10-episode eighth season, with production set to begin this summer in Los Angeles and New York.

The eighth season is scheduled to make its debut on HBO this summer. The most recent Curb season, featuring the Seinfeld reunion arc, concluded last fall.

"After much soul searching -- and by the way, it was nowhere to be found -- I have decided to do another season of Curb," said David in a statement. "I look forward to the end of shooting, when I can once again resume the hunt for my elusive soul. I know it's here somewhere or perhaps in the rugged mountainous regions of Pakistan."

Those interested in getting a fresh dose of Enthusiasm can turn to TV Guide Network in June, when the service will begin running the syndicated version of the series, replete with a forum where panelists can dissect David's misanthropic musings and actions.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...in_In_2011.php

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 142 Old 04-20-2010, 01:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Mike Reynolds -- Multichannel News, 4/20/2010 2:53:14 PM

Larry David will give fans of his curmudgeonly comedy another season.

Premium network HBO has renewed Curb Your Enthusiasm for a 10-episode eighth season, with production set to begin this summer in Los Angeles and New York.

The eighth season is scheduled to make its debut on HBO this summer. The most recent Curb season, featuring the Seinfeld reunion arc, concluded last fall.

"After much soul searching -- and by the way, it was nowhere to be found -- I have decided to do another season of Curb," said David in a statement. "I look forward to the end of shooting, when I can once again resume the hunt for my elusive soul. I know it's here somewhere or perhaps in the rugged mountainous regions of Pakistan."

Those interested in getting a fresh dose of Enthusiasm can turn to TV Guide Network in June, when the service will begin running the syndicated version of the series, replete with a forum where panelists can dissect David's misanthropic musings and actions.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...in_In_2011.php

Now that Marcus made my day!
post #3 of 142 Old 04-20-2010, 01:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

The eighth season is scheduled to make its debut on HBO this summer.

Obviously, a typo in the article.

It is PRODUCTION on the 8th season which is starting THIS summer. But that 8th season obviously won't debut on HBO air until NEXT summer... 2011, not THIS summer (2010).

That means it will have been almost 2 years since last we saw LD and associates in new episodes, when the new episodes finally arrive.
post #4 of 142 Old 04-21-2010, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Awesome news.
Either way, late 2010 or 2011 is still too far away.
post #5 of 142 Old 05-18-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 168
From Fredfa's "Hot Off The Press" thread (top of the 'HDTV Programming' page):

TV Notes
'Curb' kicked to NYC
By Reed Tucker, New York Post - May 18th, 2010

Most of next season's "Curb Your Enthusiasm" -- which could well be its final one -- is being filmed in New York, not California, says one of the show's stars.

"They all live in LA," says Susie Essman, who plays the foul-mouthed wife of Larry David's agent on the series, "And for seven seasons, I've been schlepping out there.

"Now I get to sleep in my own bed. Let them stay in hotels," says Essman.

HBO officials yesterday confirmed that, for the first time, a majority of the season's 10 episodes will tape in New York.

Production is set to begin here in July for airing early next year.

Essman says she and Jeff Garlin, who plays her husband, usually see an outline of the episode before shooting begins. But she hasn't seen any this year, she says.

"None of the other actors get to see them ahead of time," says the actress. "They just show up on the set, and they're told what the scene is, and they just do it.

"The reason Larry does that is that he doesn't want anybody lying in bed at night coming up with what they think are funny lines.

"I have not seen any outlines," she added. "I just know we're shooting a bunch in New York. That makes me really happy."

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...qvVhnegDTXyo2N
post #6 of 142 Old 05-18-2010, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I have to admit, I'm in.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #7 of 142 Old 05-18-2010, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Can't wait.
The NYC scenes will most likely have a Seinfeld feel.
post #8 of 142 Old 05-23-2010, 12:18 PM

Liked: 11
Pretty, pretty, pretty good
post #9 of 142 Old 05-23-2010, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting merge there

I can't wait..

Edit: I think it's a merge. Don't recall posting in this thread before.
post #10 of 142 Old 05-23-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

Interesting merge there

I can't wait..

Edit: I think it's a merge. Don't recall posting in this thread before.

Not a merge, a split off the Season 7 topic.

post #11 of 142 Old 01-08-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 114
When does this start??

HBO says 9 pm on Jan 9 (tomorrow). DirectV HBO schedule shows nothing.

So when is it???

Thanks!!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #12 of 142 Old 01-08-2011, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

not sure what schedule you saw but it shows Avatar at 9PM.
i do not think they announced a date yet for season 8?
post #13 of 142 Old 01-08-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

When does this start??

HBO says 9 pm on Jan 9 (tomorrow). DirectV HBO schedule shows nothing.

So when is it???

Thanks!!

Not known / announced as yet.

post #14 of 142 Old 01-08-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Seems like it won't be summer since HBO has a pretty full schedule there. It's obviously not coming in Q1, and Wikipedia says Treme is slated for Spring 2011. With Game of Thrones also slated for spring, it looks like those shows will lead into True Blood, Entourage, Hung, etc.

I would guess it'll run with Boardwalk Empire. With 10 episodes, it'd have to start sometime in February to run in tandem with Thrones and Treme, I would think, and if it was we would've heard something by now. It looks like HBO didn't do a good job planning their original programming for the first half of 2011.
post #15 of 142 Old 04-12-2011, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Curb Your Enthusiasm: Season 8 - An Invitation To The Set

I’m not a HBO subscriber so I’ll have to wait for the BD, but I’m already looking forward to it.
post #16 of 142 Old 04-12-2011, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Curb Your Enthusiasm: Season 8 - An Invitation To The Set

I'm not a HBO subscriber so I'll have to wait for the BD, but I'm already looking forward to it.

I'm always looking forward to a new season immediately after one ends.

The Michael J. Fox appearance ought to be good.
post #17 of 142 Old 05-13-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros. and HBO Pulling 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' and 'Entourage' From Syndication

Will depart in fall after just one season in syndication

By Paige Albiniak -- Broadcasting & Cable, 5/13/2011 2:05:45 PM

Charlie Sheen may be negotiating to join the cast of HBO's Entourage, but in syndication, the show is nowhere near the winner that his last vehicle, Two and a Half Men, is.

HBO has asked its distribution partner, Warner Bros. Domestic Television Distribution, to pull Curb Your Enthusiasm and Entourage from their syndicated runs due to low ratings, confirm several key sources. Both shows, which typically air in late-night, are averaging a 0.6 live plus same day household rating. Curb Your Enthusiasm and Entourage will depart off-net syndication this fall, after just one season on the air.

Both shows were sold to stations in three-year all-barter deals. Stations were prepping to move both programs into even later night slots, which would drive the shows' already low ratings down further. As a result, HBO made the call to pull the shows, presumably because the pay-cable network was losing money on distributing them. While syndicating off-net shows can mean big business for producers, distributing shows to stations also incurs hefty costs, including satellite links and residual fees to the various guilds.

Also, both shows were sold on an all-barter basis, which means that revenues are based solely on a show's performance. At a 0.6 and dropping with the time-period downgrades, neither show appeared to be in a profit position.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...yndication.php

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #18 of 142 Old 05-13-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^^^
no surprise about low ratings
both those shows can not be edited or bleeped without destroying them
post #19 of 142 Old 05-13-2011, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Curb Your Enthusiasm is a show in which practically every second contains some comedic significance, and hacking it up eliminates much of each episode's meaning.

The biggest mistake is bleeping or removing Susie's tirades.
post #20 of 142 Old 05-13-2011, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Curb Your Enthusiasm is a show in which practically every second contains some comedic significance, and hacking it up eliminates much of each episode's meaning.

The biggest mistake is bleeping or removing Susie's tirades.

Indeed.

"**** *** LARRY!"

post #21 of 142 Old 05-13-2011, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Premium cable shows also have a particular pace and feel that is totally killed by the periodic interruptions of commercial breaks. When I watch "Dexter" or "The Sopranos" I'm totally into the show/plot, and that's paramount to these shows' appeal. When that is interrupted every 10-15 minutes by ads for beer, cars and/or drugs a good deal of a show's appeal (I'd say 30-40%) is lost.
post #22 of 142 Old 06-07-2011, 02:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Season 8 starts July 10, 10PM eastern.

Trailer.
post #23 of 142 Old 06-07-2011, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Larry's got a pretty good gig. Most TV showrunners live in constant fear of losing their gig through cancellation or having it meddled with by fickle network executives. Larry David, on the other hand, has HBO literally begging him every year to do another season, and presumably throwing an ever-increasing pile of money at him to do so.

Fine with me. This show has more belly laughs per minute than anything else on the tube save maybe '30 Rock'. Bring it on, Lar!
post #24 of 142 Old 07-09-2011, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 355
Reminder, it starts tomorrow.

Review: HBO's 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' returns strong for season 8
Larry David and friends head to New York midway through the season
By Alan Sepinwall Friday, Jul 8, 2011 9:00 AM

"Curb Your Enthusiasm" is never going to displace "Seinfeld" as the first thing mentioned in Larry David's obituary many years from now, even though "Curb" gave the world one of the all-time great obituary-related jokes (in the first season episode "Beloved Aunt"). But has the HBO show already done enough to accompany "Seinfeld" in the first line of that obituary?

I think it has.

Look, "Seinfeld" was a masterpiece. It was the most successful, influential comedy of its era, it introduced countless phrases and concepts into the cultural lexicon and produced so many classic episodes that a group of fans could endlessly debate which are the top 5, or 10, and not have any overlap and yet all have a reasonable argument. I take nothing away from the impact and legacy of "Seinfeld" to say that "Curb" - which begins its eighth season on Sunday night at 10 - looms nearly as large on David's resume, and that "Curb" has by now earned its own place in the all-time comedy pantheon.

If anything, the previous season of "Curb," in which Larry brought Jerry and the rest of the "Seinfeld" gang back for a mock reunion, only added to the "Seinfeld" legend. Not only did it provide a much funnier, more satisfying ending to the original show than David had 11 years earlier, but that season - and particularly the interactions between Larry and Jerry - made it clear once and for all how much "Curb" is carrying on the various traditions of "Seinfeld," proving that there's still life in that structure and sensibility more than 20 years after the "Seinfeld" pilot first aired on NBC.

For all this idiotic talk of a "'Seinfeld' Curse" (which would imply that Jason Alexander and company had thrown a man and his pet goat out of Wrigley Field, as opposed to daring to find other work after their show ended), David has essentially been successfully doing his own version of "Seinfeld" for a long time now - one filtered even more through his personality and sensibilities than "Seinfeld" was. "Curb" has the same colliding-catastrophes structure, the same obsession with questioning the unwritten rules (some sensible, some ridiculous) of modern society, with restaurants and sexual etiquette and all the rest. It's just set in LA, features richer people, raunchier dialogue and is largely improvised, and Larry is playing the Jerry and George roles at once. (I leave it to the rest of you to decide which of the large stable of "Curb" characters is Kramer. My first instinct is to go with Marty Funkhouser, but I can be convinced that it's Leon or someone else entirely.)

In some ways, that comparison may be even more obvious in this new season than it was in the last, since midway through the year, Larry and many of the other regular characters have to move to New York for several months - in Larry's case, for reasons that only make sense in the twisted, stubborn mind of Larry David, and to those of us who have spent seven-plus seasons learning to understand that mind.

I've only seen one of the New York-set episodes - because Larry David is powerful enough to do whatever he wants (including waiting nearly 2 years between seasons), he asked HBO to send out three non-sequential episodes for review, rather than the usual practice of sending out the season premiere and maybe the next few - but it's a great episode of "Curb," while also evoking various "Seinfeld" storylines. Larry befriends former Red Sox first baseman Bill Buckner (just as Jerry palled around with Buckner's Mets counterpart from the infamous '86 World Series, Keith Hernandez), runs afoul of a doctor who's a bit blabbier about his patients than he should be (a la Elaine confessing too many secrets to the rabbi), makes an enemy of his auto mechanic at the wrong time (see also David Puddy), etc.

And yet even though I've seen Larry riff on these scenarios before - and "Seinfeld" repeated itself well before "Curb" came along, just as "Curb" has repeated itself a time or 12 - the elegant structure, and the brilliant, unswerving depiction of the TV version of Larry David, still makes the material shockingly, gut-bustingly funny so many years later. And the earlier LA-based episodes were nearly as great in their own way.

Because HBO needs Larry David far more than he needs HBO, he has one of the sweetest deals in the business. He makes seasons when he wants, can wait as long as he wants in between, has the freedom to walk away anytime, and only comes back when he has an idea he feels is worth spending a few months on. In that way, he gets to run things the way many producers do in the British TV system, where the goal isn't to keep a show on for as long as it's profitable, creativity be damned. And yet despite having that freedom to walk away, he keeps coming back, still working in the style we've loved so much for so long, still finding new ways to act belligerent, for Susie to curse him out, for Leon to be irrationally confident, and all the rest.

Because of Larry's arrangement with HBO, and because every season of "Curb" closes with an episode that could easily work as a series finale, I never know when I come to the end of a season whether this will be the last I ever see of these characters and Larry's brilliant comic voice. "Curb" could have easily gone out on the high note of Larry's triumphant opening night in "The Producers," or Larry dying and then being cast out of Heaven, or Larry becoming part of the Black family, or Larry pulling off the "Seinfeld" reunion and getting Cheryl back. I would have found any or all of those endings satisfying, and felt grateful that we got as much of the series as we did. But Larry keeps coming back with new seasons, and if the wait is a while, it is always worth it.

"Curb Your Enthusiasm" is a gift - a vulgar, misanthropic, hilarious gift. And somehow, it keeps on giving.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-al...g-for-season-8

post #25 of 142 Old 07-10-2011, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Can't wait!!
post #26 of 142 Old 07-10-2011, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Laugh out loud funny tonight!
post #27 of 142 Old 07-11-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Noticed that the now seemingly ubiquitous Kaitlyn Dever had yet another onscreen role in last night's "Curb".

She was most recently seen in "Bad Teacher", and also in this past season's "Justified".

She's a very talented young actress. To be honest, I don't know if her southern accent in "Justified" was put on, or whether her "Curb" full-blooded northeast American accent is really her or was put on.
post #28 of 142 Old 07-11-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Good episode last night. Glad it's back.
post #29 of 142 Old 07-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I thought the first episode was a bit weak, more like the first few years of the show when it was finding its legs; nothing like last season which was near perfect. I thought the ending, in particular lacked flair. I thought for sure that Berg the Catholic non-Jewish lawyer would end up representing the Girl Scouts in a law suit against Larry. I'm sure it'll pick up, especially with Ricky Gervais in the line-up.
post #30 of 142 Old 07-12-2011, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I didn't 'get' the tampon bit until it was sticking out of his nose. That was funny.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page