post #691 of 1460 Old 12-18-2011, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Except when he doesn't do it....we'll see whether Eli will go quietly to the Big House.

Jimmy actually did say to Nuck (in the final episode) he would do whatever was necessary to make amends.
Of course, by then, it was too late from Nuck's POV.

nuck made the wrong choice by killing jimmy, which is obvious to us viewers. i feel jimmy would have been a far better ally than eli down the road. look at what he did for him in the finale (staging of suicide).

nuck had jimmy and eli implicating each other and simply made the wrong call; which should play out for viewers next season.
quad4.0 likes this.

Comcast, E.D.L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 1460 Old 12-18-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Part of Nucky's reasoning for being rid of Jimmy was the butcher from Philly. The butcher also has connections. So choosing to do business with him meant that Jimmy had to go. Keeping Eli around may certainly prove to be a mistake, and no doubt Nucky is aware of that. But from Nucky's perspective it wasn't just a matter of choosing Eli over Jimmy. Killing Jimmy earned Nucky some points in other areas, and sent a very clear message to Jimmy's conspirators, Eli included.
post #693 of 1460 Old 12-18-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_d_lopez View Post

i feel jimmy would have been a far better ally than eli down the road. look at what he did for him in the finale (staging of suicide).

Perhaps...but we will never now for certain.
What is certain is Jimmy tried to kill Nuck and take his business.
For that, he had to die.
Nuck could never fully trust him again....ever.
Would you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Part of Nucky's reasoning for being rid of Jimmy was the butcher from Philly. The butcher also has connections. So choosing to do business with him meant that Jimmy had to go. Keeping Eli around may certainly prove to be a mistake, and no doubt Nucky is aware of that. But from Nucky's perspective it wasn't just a matter of choosing Eli over Jimmy. Killing Jimmy earned Nucky some points in other areas, and sent a very clear message to Jimmy's conspirators, Eli included.

+1

I gotta wonder if Eli will have an "accident" in prison....
Nuck won't have done the deed directly and he will have deniability by being on the outside.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #694 of 1460 Old 12-18-2011, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Perhaps...but we will never now for certain.
What is certain is Jimmy tried to kill Nuck and take his business.
For that, he had to die.
Nuck could never fully trust him again....ever.
Would you?

+1

I gotta wonder if Eli will have an "accident" in prison....
Nuck won't have done the deed directly and he will have deniability by being on the outside.

Eli is the only one that can logically take the fall for Nucky on the election fraud...even the murdur (which I think will get dropped or left on the deputy). Also, while having him aced in prison is a definite possibility, I think the symmetry of the show needs the jealous, traitorous brother hanging around, so that eventually when Nucky goes, it will be by Eli's hand. I can see him sticking around for awhile, if not all the way to the end.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #695 of 1460 Old 12-18-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Eli is the only one that can logically take the fall for Nucky on the election fraud...even the murdur (which I think will get dropped or left on the deputy). Also, while having him aced in prison is a definite possibility, I think the symmetry of the show needs the jealous, traitorous brother hanging around, so that eventually when Nucky goes, it will be by Eli's hand. I can see him sticking around for awhile, if not all the way to the end.

I don't think Nuck is dumb enough to give Eli a chance at it.
He knows very well Eli would like to have him out of the way.
IMO, only by the Grace of God Nuck is Eli allowed to live another day.

post #696 of 1460 Old 12-18-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
Quote:

I don't think Nuck is dumb enough to give Eli a chance at it.
He knows very well Eli would like to have him out of the way.
IMO, only by the Grace of God Nuck is Eli allowed to live another day.

Eli got a chance to see first hand that Nucky is capable of killing those close to him when he's been done wrong. I see it as a reminder, stay straight with me or die....

Bobby 

post #697 of 1460 Old 12-19-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Except when he doesn't do it....we'll see whether Eli will go quietly to the Big House.

Since they are "loosely" basing this on history, I assume Eli does go to jail. He did in real life as well. That's why I never thought he would be killed. In my view, the only characters in peril are purely fictitious ones.

Art
post #698 of 1460 Old 01-15-2012, 01:53 PM

Liked: 12
A breakdown of some of the visual FX of Season 2, for those who might be interested:

http://vimeo.com/34678075
post #699 of 1460 Old 01-15-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

A breakdown of some of the visual FX of Season 2, for those who might be interested:

http://vimeo.com/34678075

Really enjoyed that....thanx Larry.

post #700 of 1460 Old 01-19-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I finally finished watching Season 2...fantastic season...the first half of the season had the same issues for me as Season 1, a little too slow paced and deliberate but unlike S1 the payoff really was worth it in the end...in the beginning of the S2 finale when Nucky and Jimmy appeared to reconcile I rolled my eyes and was really disappointed...same as S1 when all this conflict and bad blood was created all season long between Rothstein and Nucky only for the final episode to bring them together as partners again which felt totally unrealistic

hopefully the second half of season 2 and especially the final few episodes can be the turning point for this show to become the classic gangster/period drama I had hoped it would be from the beginning

I wonder how much the rumors of Michael Pitt being difficult to work with brought about his exit from the show...Terrence Winter and the producers are all saying the right things but I still think he was a problem...he's had that reputation for a long time
post #701 of 1460 Old 02-01-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Just bumping the thread as I finally was able to work my way through the season. The finale was so well done - all the misdirection, foreshadowing, etc. but afterwards the inevitability of it - Nucky becoming a full gangster, coming full circle to meet Jimmy's challenge back in the first episode. It was interesting to read back through the thread, post mortum. Was able to clarify some of the plot points I had been wondering about.

Lots of Shakespearian references, as many of these great shows do, Oedipus foremost among them. Sons sleeping with mothers, sons killing fathers, "uncles" killing sons (I do love a nice family drama), political and racial and gang rivals killing each other, corruption, vice, jealousy, revenge - what's not to love about this show?

There are some high concept series that hit the brakes after a great first season (see: 'Heroes', 'Desperate Housewives', 'Dead Like Me'), and others that hit the accelerator (see: 'Breaking Bad', 'Justified', 'Fringe'). This one falls into the latter category, IMO. Looking forward to S-3 more than I was S-2. Hope 'Game of Thrones' and 'Homeland' follow that same path.

Now, on to the other reputedly great show whose whole freakin' season I had to DVR: 'Boss'. I hear Kelsey Grammer's pretty good in that one.
post #702 of 1460 Old 02-01-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Now, on to the other reputedly great show whose whole freakin' season I had to DVR: 'Boss'. I hear Kelsey Grammer's pretty good in that one.

Boss was very good, too.

DVR's and BD, what a wonderful concept. So many great shows to catch up on. Believe it or not, I just finished Deadwood last night. Great show, thanks to all the chatter here

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #703 of 1460 Old 02-01-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

Believe it or not, I just finished Deadwood last night. Great show, thanks to all the chatter here

I can't believe it, Larry. You're one of our quality-show stalwarts around here and 'Deadwood' is top 5 all-time, maybe top 3, depending on who you ask and it was Milch at his most Milchiest. What, were you in a coma when it was running?
post #704 of 1460 Old 02-01-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I watched the first 4 eps of Boss...taking my time...from DirectTVs verson of On Demand. Tried to pull up the next on this weekend and it's no longer available...bummer. Anyway, it was very adult, dark and realistic, but the reason I was taking it slow was that it was depressing. There was absolutely no one to like, though Grammer was excellent.

BE, otoh, was a treat in that all the flawed characters are so interesting that you just want to find out what happens next. Even Margaret going from smart to religously lost (and no longer nearly as sympathetic) is a compelling story arc. I wonder how Nuck's going to handle her next season...I'm thinking he puts her in the looney bin to disqualify her grant to the church.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #705 of 1460 Old 02-01-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

'Deadwood' is top 5 all-time, maybe top 3, depending on who you ask and it was Milch at his most Milchiest. What, were you in a coma when it was running?

I was misled by some "wash your mouth out with soap" types who, at the time, gave me the impression that the show is just a swearfest super bowl. Which it is but that's like saying Ali and Frazier just hit each other. But thanks to AVS pals like you and others, I finally queued it up.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #706 of 1460 Old 02-01-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

I was misled by some "wash your mouth out with soap" types who, at the time, gave me the impression that the show is just a swearfest super bowl. Which it is but that's like saying Ali and Frazier just hit each other. But thanks to AVS pals like you and others, I finally queued it up.

My wife wouldn't watch DW because of the swearing. Then she got hooked on Timothy Olyphant in Justified. She went through the 3 seasons of DW shortly thereafter .

post #707 of 1460 Old 02-01-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My wife wouldn't watch DW because of the swearing. Then she got hooked on Timothy Olyphant in Justified. She went through the 3 seasons of DW shortly thereafter .

My wife got hooked on Olyphant from his guest starring run on 'Damages' a few seasons back. (Funny how that works, eh?) Then once she heard he was starring in 'Justified', she and her mother got hooked on that one. They're buying season sets on BD, so that's an obsession I can fully support.
post #708 of 1460 Old 02-01-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

BE, otoh, was a treat in that all the flawed characters are so interesting that you just want to find out what happens next. Even Margaret going from smart to religously lost (and no longer nearly as sympathetic) is a compelling story arc. I wonder how Nuck's going to handle her next season...I'm thinking he puts her in the looney bin to disqualify her grant to the church.

+1
We shouldn't be surprised if something very nasty happens to Margaret next season.

Quote:

My wife wouldn't watch DW because of the swearing.

Same here.
But last month I put it in my queue.

All I have to do now is wait for Arch to skewer the hell outta me for being an idiot...

post #709 of 1460 Old 02-02-2012, 05:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

+1
All I have to do now is wait for Arch to skewer the hell outta me for being an idiot...

Talk about idiots - I still haven't seen 'The Wire'. And there it forlornly sits, yet unwatched, on the corner of the coffee table, a thick coat of dust accumulating on its case. Got to find the time.....

Actually, when I hear of someone just getting into 'Deadwood' or 'Firefly' or BSG, I get a few pangs of envy, strange as it sounds. What a great ride they're getting ready to embark on! You're a lucky duck, oink.
post #710 of 1460 Old 02-02-2012, 06:05 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

+1
We shouldn't be surprised if something very nasty happens to Margaret next season.

caught her in the very very good mini-series from 2003, state of play, well worth the watch!!
post #711 of 1460 Old 02-02-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Talk about idiots - I still haven't seen 'The Wire'. And there it forlornly sits, yet unwatched, on the corner of the coffee table, a thick coat of dust accumulating on its case. Got to find the time.....)

You have got to find the time. It is well worth it.

SMK
post #712 of 1460 Old 02-02-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post

caught her in the very very good mini-series from 2003, state of play, well worth the watch!!

I agree it was excellent...much better than the Russell Crowe film.
post #713 of 1460 Old 02-02-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
More hairy hot chicks than the Playboy mansion in 1976.

Other than that...let's just say i watched 2 seasons in less than 2 days. Greatness

100% Digital household since 2001
post #714 of 1460 Old 02-03-2012, 01:22 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Talk about idiots - I still haven't seen 'The Wire'. And there it forlornly sits, yet unwatched, on the corner of the coffee table, a thick coat of dust accumulating on its case. Got to find the time.....

Actually, when I hear of someone just getting into 'Deadwood' or 'Firefly' or BSG, I get a few pangs of envy, strange as it sounds. What a great ride they're getting ready to embark on! You're a lucky duck, oink.

I just watched season 1 of The Wire and cannot for the life of me figure out how I didn't jump on that show sooner....absolutely phenomenal season 1. Three weeks until season 2 begins on HBO on-demand..can't wait.
post #715 of 1460 Old 02-03-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by antneye View Post

I just watched season 1 of The Wire and cannot for the life of me figure out how I didn't jump on that show sooner....absolutely phenomenal season 1. Three weeks until season 2 begins on HBO on-demand..can't wait.

Do yourself a favor and buy the DVD set. You'll want to watch it again. Not hard to pick these up used.
post #716 of 1460 Old 02-06-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 168
TV Notes
Boardwalk Empire Exclusive: Paz de la Huerta Not Returning For Season 3
By Michael Ausiello, TVLine.com - Feb. 6, 2012

Boardwalk Empire has whacked Paz de la Huerta.

TVLine has learned exclusively that the HBO mob hit has opted not to pick up the actress' Season 3 contract option, which means viewers have likely seen the last of her character, Lucy Danziger.

Introduced in Season 1 as Nucky's (Steve Buscemi) unhinged mistress, Lucy spent much of Season 2 pregnant and shacked up with Michael Shannon's Van Alden (the baby daddy). Shortly after giving birth, she went on a formula run and never returned, leaving the baby in Van Alden's care.

An HBO rep declined to comment for this story.

De la Huerta's exit brings to four the number of original Empire cast members not returning for Season 3; she joins Michael Pitt, Dabney Coleman and Aleksa Palladino (
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
all of whom were killed off in Season 2′s final hours
).

To fill the void, producers are introducing several new characters, including a rival to Nucky played by Bobby Cannavale.

http://www.tvline.com/2012/02/boardw...-huerta-fired/
post #717 of 1460 Old 02-06-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^She had been written out of last season anyway....

post #718 of 1460 Old 08-09-2012, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Season 2 was classic. Especially the last two episodes.

Jimmy Darmody is one of the greatest flawed/tragic characters in TV (or Film) history.

The whole Mother/Father interactions were of Mythic Proportions.

Nucky is soooo compelling yet subversively sinister.....looking forward to the Season 3 premiere.

September 16!
squeakybirnbaum likes this.
post #719 of 1460 Old 09-10-2012, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 36
this show has it all! Seems every new ep. was better than the last. It just keeps getting better. Some say the killing or darmody was a dream sequence? but people love his character. But looks like Nucky got a payback via Margrets guilt the church is so good at dealing out. That was like "ok crap! to Oh ****!"
post #720 of 1460 Old 09-16-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Outstanding set-up for the new season.

The action and tension have been ramped up.

Great acting, writing, direction and attention to detail....

Boardwalk Empire is Back!
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Boardwalk Empire Seasons 1 3 Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Boardwalk by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page