Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1460 Old 09-20-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My first impressions:

The sets all looked too new and freshly painted to give the feel of realism one would expect from property located at the sea shore. Was glaringly "set" like, needed some sand on the boardwalk.....

Somewhat confusing rush of characters and events. And why is Buschimi always standing in a window looking in? Foreshadowing?

Buschimi, who I like very much as an actor, does not fit the role of a mob boss. Seems too small, low key and gentle in this role.

Everything, the cars, the streets, sets as I said above, all are too clean and new looking, doesn't convey a feeling of the period. A little more grit and dirt both on the actors and on the sets would have been nice. Maybe in time as they degenerate, so will the look of the show.

Looking forward to seeing how it unfolds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1460 Old 09-20-2010, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Last night was a good introduction to most of the early characters with enough story to bring you back for more. It's a good foundation to expand on. I wasn't blown away, in fact, I was only moderately entertained, but I'm enthusiastic about what's in store...

Thanks, saved me a lot of typing.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #93 of 1460 Old 09-20-2010, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 View Post

My first impressions:
Everything, the cars, the streets, sets as I said above, all are too clean and new looking, doesn't convey a feeling of the period. A little more grit and dirt both on the actors and on the sets would have been nice. Maybe in time as they degenerate, so will the look of the show.

I didn't realise that cleanliness was a modern concept?

Why wouldn't 'new' cars and fairly new buildings be clean? Just because all the photos from that era are grainy and B&W, doesn't mean that is how it actually looked.

Art
post #94 of 1460 Old 09-20-2010, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

I didn't realise that cleanliness was a modern concept?

Why wouldn't 'new' cars and fairly new buildings be clean? Just because all the photos from that era are grainy and B&W, doesn't mean that is how it actually looked.

Art

Yeah, this is 1920, not 1850. Atlantic City was the to go to resort of the day. You want people to spend money, you gotta keep it clean!

Bobby 

post #95 of 1460 Old 09-20-2010, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not really referring to the clean aspect so much as the just painted look. But that's just my opinion. Many, many years ago my family and I used to go to a different boardwalk and tho many places were clean and new looking, there were many more weathered and older looking places. Every single shop wasn't perfect and newly painted. Just a comment, but I think it will get more beat up looking as the characters sink further into their world of crime, some kind of set matches life idea. Anyhow, time will tell. Overall very good show and I look forward to seeing it develop.
post #96 of 1460 Old 09-20-2010, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It is on tonight on ALL of the HBO channels.
HBO,HBO2,HBO signature,HBO Comedy,HBO Zone

OK Not HBO Family
post #97 of 1460 Old 09-20-2010, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

It is on tonight on ALL of the HBO channels.
HBO,HBO2,HBO signature,HBO Comedy,HBO Zone

OK Not HBO Family

Its on 6 out of the 9 HBO channels, overkill?

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #98 of 1460 Old 09-20-2010, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Not overkill considering the stunning sets and level of detail. I was blown away at how much they did in recreating a whole world of that time.

Simply amazing. This will be a cult classic without a doubt over some years.
An impressive body of work but we need time to let the characters develop.

My only concern is the redeeming qualities of Buscemi's character early.
But I am impressed very much by this amazing effort.

It's all just a game. I just play to win.
post #99 of 1460 Old 09-21-2010, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypb View Post

I knew Dabney Coleman was in the series...but I honestly didn't realize that HE was the Commodore till I went to the HBO site to see who was playing who on this show.

I saw his name in the opening credits and was looking for him. If I didn't know he was in the show I would have not thought that the Commodore was him.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #100 of 1460 Old 09-21-2010, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Not sure how I feel about the epsiode, Ill probably watch it a second time with the Fiancee. Since this is the "slow" epsiode, Ill def keep watching, just to see how things go. Starting next week though Sunday night at 9PM is a packed hour (Dexter, BE, FG, Rubicon).
post #101 of 1460 Old 09-21-2010, 06:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 View Post

I'm not really referring to the clean aspect so much as the just painted look. But that's just my opinion. Many, many years ago my family and I used to go to a different boardwalk and tho many places were clean and new looking, there were many more weathered and older looking places. Every single shop wasn't perfect and newly painted. Just a comment, but I think it will get more beat up looking as the characters sink further into their world of crime, some kind of set matches life idea. Anyhow, time will tell. Overall very good show and I look forward to seeing it develop.

Yeah, it depends on the show. 'Deadwood' certainly had that beat-up, weathered, mud & blood look to it, but that production design perfectly fit the show's profile. This is different. You don't see trash or faded paint on the Vegas strip do you? They didn't see it on the Atlantic Boardwalk either, probably.
post #102 of 1460 Old 09-21-2010, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Yeah, it depends on the show. 'Deadwood' certainly had that beat-up, weathered, mud & blood look to it, but that production design perfectly fit the show's profile. This is different. You don't see trash or faded paint on the Vegas strip do you? They didn't see it on the Atlantic Boardwalk either, probably.

According to my grandfather, it was as clean as Disneyland. Remember folks, the goal was to attract customers (rubes). Just because it takes place in the past doesn't mean that it should be grimy by default! In the series, you'll even see background people sweeping the boardwalk.
post #103 of 1460 Old 09-21-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 215
4.8 million viewers for the initial airing. 7.1 million for the whole night's 3 airings.
post #104 of 1460 Old 09-21-2010, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Nielsen Notes (Cable)
HBO Renews 'Boardwalk' After One Episode
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com's TV Editor - September 21st, 2010

The ratings for the Sunday premiere of HBO's prohibition era extravaganza Boardwalk Empire were barely in this morning when the pay cable network announced a second-season pickup for the drama from Martin Scorsese and Terence Winter. The series starring Steve Buscemi debuted with 4.8 million viewers to become HBO's most watched series premiere since the 2004 opener of Deadwood behind The Sopranos. I feel that is only appropriate because there are similarities in the tone between Boardwalk and Deadwood. Because of HBO's big investment in building elaborate sets for Boardwalk, including an actual boardwalk, a second season renewal was always considered a given as networks look to amortize upfront costs. Still, the overwhelmingly positive reviews and solid premiere ratings probably sealed the deal. Here is HBO's release.

LOS ANGELES, Sept. 21, 2010 - Following resounding critical approval and high viewer numbers for the series' Sept. 19 debut, HBO has renewed BOARDWALK EMPIRE for a second season, it was announced today by Michael Lombardo, president, HBO Programming.

All the ingredients aligned for this one, from Mark Wahlberg and Steve Levinson's initial pitch, to Martin Scorsese's enormous contributions as director and executive producer, to the genius of Terry Winter and the expertise of Tim Van Patten, to a stellar cast led by Steve Buscemi, said Lombardo. The response from the media and our viewers has been nothing short of amazing.

From Terence Winter, and Martin Scorsese, BOARDWALK EMPIRE is set in Atlantic City at the dawn of Prohibition, when the sale of alcohol became illegal throughout the United States.

The Sept. 19 premiere of BOARDWALK EMPIRE averaged 4.8 million viewers during the 9:00 p.m. airing to score HBO's largest premiere of any program in over six years (since March 21, 2004 - Deadwood with The Sopranos as lead-in). With additional plays at 10:15 p.m. and 11:30 p.m., BOARDWALK EMPIRE was watched by a combined 7.1 million viewers for the night.

Season one credits: Created by Terence Winter, BOARDWALK EMPIRE is executive produced by Terence Winter, Martin Scorsese, Tim Van Patten, Stephen Levinson and Mark Wahlberg; co-executive producers, Gene Kelly and Lawrence Konner; producers (series), Rudd Simmons and Rick Yorn; producer (pilot), David Coatsworth; supervising producers, Howard Korder and Margaret Nagle.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/hbo-...de/#more-68891
post #105 of 1460 Old 09-21-2010, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 105
The viewer numbers were probably helped by the fact that HBO was in Free Preview across all of the cable and satellite systems...

This viewer, who subscribes anyway, will be watching every week...

Bobby 

post #106 of 1460 Old 09-21-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Nielsen Notes (Cable)
HBO Renews 'Boardwalk' After One Episode
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com's TV Editor - September 21st, 2010

The ratings for the Sunday premiere of HBO's prohibition era extravaganza Boardwalk Empire were barely in this morning when the pay cable network announced a second-season pickup for the drama from Martin Scorsese and Terence Winter.

Didn't we already know this from the OP at the beginning of this thread back in May?? Still, glad it's finally official now.
post #107 of 1460 Old 09-21-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ It was never officially announced by HBO, just an 'inside source' mention of HBO's intent to do at least two season's worth of shows out of the investment in building the sets/boardwalk/etc. Now it's being written in big letters up on the sky by the powers-that-be at HBO for the world to see.
post #108 of 1460 Old 09-21-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post

According to my grandfather, it was as clean as Disneyland. Remember folks, the goal was to attract customers (rubes). Just because it takes place in the past doesn't mean that it should be grimy by default! In the series, you'll even see background people sweeping the boardwalk.

Yes, exactly. The Shorpy site has quite a few pictures of Atlantic City (for instance, from 15 years prior to BE) that can provide perspective.
post #109 of 1460 Old 09-22-2010, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

^^^ It was never officially announced by HBO, just an 'inside source' mention of HBO's intent to do at least two season's worth of shows out of the investment in building the sets/boardwalk/etc.

While that does make sense, the brass were VERY pleased when they saw the material they were getting. That was a big factor.
post #110 of 1460 Old 09-22-2010, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"Goodfellas" TV series 'shopped around' after success of HBO's "Boardwalk Empire": http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/good...-gotti-jr-pic/.
post #111 of 1460 Old 09-23-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post

Yes, exactly. The Shorpy site has quite a few pictures of Atlantic City (for instance, from 15 years prior to BE) that can provide perspective.

But notice that the Palm Reader's shop is not so newly painted. Nice detail.
post #112 of 1460 Old 09-23-2010, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post

Wow! Looking at the original http://www.shorpy.com/node/8848?size=_original and you could swear it came out of BE! Just add color! Now THAT is High Def!

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #113 of 1460 Old 09-27-2010, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
For those of you who are Deadwood fans: Am I the only one who thinks that the pictures shown of Nucky's deceased wife look an AWFUL lot like one Alma Garrett (played by Molly Parker) from Deadwood?

http://www.fanpop.com/spots/deadwood...a-garret-photo

If my wife didn't delete it last night I'd try to do a screen cap....
post #114 of 1460 Old 09-27-2010, 05:46 AM

That's funny because my wife and I both said the same thing when we saw the picture .
post #115 of 1460 Old 09-27-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypb View Post

For those of you who are Deadwood fans: Am I the only one who thinks that the pictures shown of Nucky's deceased wife look an AWFUL lot like one Alma Garrett (played by Molly Parker) from Deadwood?

http://www.fanpop.com/spots/deadwood...a-garret-photo

If so, it's a nice tip-of-the-hat from the BE team. After all, if the Lone Ranger and the Green Hornet can be related, why not Alma and Nucky!
post #116 of 1460 Old 09-27-2010, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpepling View Post

That's funny because my wife and I both said the same thing when we saw the picture .

I meant to comment on it last week when they showed the pics of Nucky's wife....but forgot.

I was somewhat wondering if ALL pictures of women from back in that timeframe look like Molly Parker ?!?!?!

post #117 of 1460 Old 09-29-2010, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
No comments at all about Episode 2?

I'm really enjoying this show and am looking forward to it each week.
post #118 of 1460 Old 09-29-2010, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
watched episode 2 last night with wife. I really enjoyed it. Then watched 'Eastbound and Down' with her. Afterwards, she commented that she would not be watching Boardwalk anymore, but Eastbound is now must see TV for her. I don't understand...I think Boardwalk is absolutely excellent.
post #119 of 1460 Old 09-29-2010, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I agree, there's nothing to not like so far. I expect it'll take a few episodes to really learn all the players. This is supposed to be the story of the birth of organized crime, so it'll take some time to sort out everyone. Buscemi is doing a fantastic job.
post #120 of 1460 Old 09-29-2010, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andwhatnot View Post

watched episode 2 last night with wife. I really enjoyed it. Then watched 'Eastbound and Down' with her. Afterwards, she commented that she would not be watching Boardwalk anymore, but Eastbound is now must see TV for her. I don't understand...I think Boardwalk is absolutely excellent.

It is...but women are generally more squeamish about people doing bad things to each other..and about raw elements as well. Women were not equal in those days and modern females may not wish to vicariously view those attitudes in a realistic manner.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Boardwalk Empire Seasons 1 3 Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Boardwalk by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page