Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #121 of 1448 Old 09-29-2010, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Saw this at a friend's house, not feeling it at all.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1448 Old 09-30-2010, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post

It is...but women are generally more squeamish about people doing bad things to each other..and about raw elements as well. Women were not equal in those days and modern females may not wish to vicariously view those attitudes in a realistic manner.

I guess Im a lucky one then, we finally got to watch the last episode (with her initiation) last night. I think the setting and the "slower" start is what may be hurting the show. Personally it doesnt bother me, but I can see where people might fade away from it. Also, with Sundays fully packed (at least for me) its hard to watch this live. I usually save most of my Sunday shows until later in the week.
post #123 of 1448 Old 09-30-2010, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
So far I'm quite happy with the show. I'm just letting things play out and see what happens.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #124 of 1448 Old 09-30-2010, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I think the setting and the "slower" start is what may be hurting the show. Personally it doesnt bother me, but I can see where people might fade away from it.

People rave about THE SOPRANOS, but, let's face it, that show was as slow as molasses! Episode after episode where nothing happens. I remember shows where they did nothing but play Monopoly or checkers or something and just B.S. for an hour. Or shows about whatever problems the kids were having, etc. etc. I used to pray "Please, will somebody get whacked already!!" So BOARDWALK is already way ahead, in my book.
post #125 of 1448 Old 09-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post

People rave about THE SOPRANOS, but, let's face it, that show was as slow as molasses! Episode after episode where nothing happens. I remember shows where they did nothing but play Monopoly or checkers or something and just B.S. for an hour. Or shows about whatever problems the kids were having, etc. etc. I used to pray "Please, will somebody get whacked already!!" So BOARDWALK is already way ahead, in my book.

My wife surprisingly enjoyed the Sopranos very much but gave up on Boardwalk after the first episode. I love both btw. I agree with you, that each at times could be considered "slow" at times, not unlike many of HBO's dramas (Big Love, Treme, etc).

I think the difference with The Sopranos, at least for females, is that it had a large focus of the show on the family. What was happening with Carmela, Meadow, and AJ and what was happening in the house . Boardwalk might be more focused on just power, corruption, voilence, sex but not have that interesting family dynamic.
post #126 of 1448 Old 09-30-2010, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I tried to watch the premire episode, It was slow to a point. I changed programs after the shootout in the woods ended. I know I'm in the minority on this opinion but I'm done with the increased "violence" in shows to shock the audience! If I want to see people's heads being "blown off" with a shotgun I'll just stay here at work and wait for the EMS call. Having seen it first hand it's not the same shock value. I guess that's what people who don't see it or never will see it in person are demanding to quench their curiosity on how the real world operates?

Sick bastards!!!

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #127 of 1448 Old 10-01-2010, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

I tried to watch the premire episode, It was slow to a point. I changed programs after the shootout in the woods ended. I know I'm in the minority on this opinion but I'm done with the increased "violence" in shows to shock the audience! If I want to see people's heads being "blown off" with a shotgun I'll just stay here at work and wait for the EMS call. Having seen it first hand it's not the same shock value. I guess that's what people who don't see it or never will see it in person are demanding to quench their curiosity on how the real world operates?

Sick bastards!!!

I'll admit I'm a gore hound, so the violence is not a turnoff for me, but there is more to this show than that. I believe the scene in question was to convey the point that the character had been emotionally scarred from the war, and wasn't bothered by what he had done. For that reason, I don't think it was gratuitous.

For the record, I love 'fake" gore/violence, but take no pleasure in the real thing. Since I'm a parent, anything bad involving children will make my cry like a baby as well.

Try giving the show another shot. You can always look away, or close your eyes, if it gets bad.

Art
post #128 of 1448 Old 10-01-2010, 08:43 AM

Liked: 10
Thank goodness for HBO is all I have to say. I love when something lives up to my expectations.
post #129 of 1448 Old 10-01-2010, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think it's true that the show will only fit a certain "demographic". My wife has no interest in watching this, yet she watches all reruns of the Sopranos when it's on. Maybe the fact it's based on the 20's is a turnoff to her.

Myself, a combo of the show being about the history of Atlantic City; about a period of time not often portrayed in TV or movies; and a gangster series from the makers of the Sopranos got me interested in the series. And after 2x episodes I definitely like what I see
post #130 of 1448 Old 10-01-2010, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Somewhat off topic but related: There is a new show on CBS, Friday nites, 9 PM Central called Blue Bloods which is written by some Soprano's writers. Very well done, showcasing a police family rather than the crime family. So if some of you liked Sopranos and miss it, as I do, it seems like a well done show.

I am still liking this show as well. Slightly confusing with the constant Chicago/Atlantic City back and forth, never quite sure who's killing who where, but still watching.

And I'm a woman and like the show, so some of us do. And to the guy above who thinks we like to see heads blown off, not me, I'm watching for content not gore.
post #131 of 1448 Old 10-04-2010, 07:38 AM

Well, one thing I learned from last night's episode...treating gonorrhea in the 1920's is something out of David Cronenberg's nightmares!
post #132 of 1448 Old 10-04-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Also a nod to historical accuracy in the dentist's office. I clearly remember that foot-operated dentist's drill from my childhood. The sound of it sent chills down my spine. Those things were only slightly more comfortable than a hammer and chisel.
post #133 of 1448 Old 10-04-2010, 01:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Also a nod to historical accuracy in the dentist's office. I clearly remember that foot-operated dentist's drill from my childhood. The sound of it sent chills down my spine. Those things were only slightly more comfortable than a hammer and chisel.

Last night felt weird to me... Not a great episode.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #134 of 1448 Old 10-04-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:

And I guess most of us were born too late and missed out on the dentists having cocaine handy for the patients. A time machine and a toothache...that's the ticket!
post #135 of 1448 Old 10-04-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons View Post

And I guess most of us were born too late and missed out on the dentists having cocaine handy for the patients. A time machine and a toothache...that's the ticket!

True dat, it was common and unregulated in dentist and dr's offices.
post #136 of 1448 Old 10-04-2010, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
Quote:

True dat, it was common and unregulated in dentist and dr's offices.

Gee - I missed all the fun!
Hard enough to talk my dentist into some real perkies. Can't imagine canin from a dentist, not to mention taking any these days.
post #137 of 1448 Old 10-04-2010, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post

Last night felt weird to me... Not a great episode.

I'll check it out tonight, but so far I'm snoozin' on the first 2 epps. Not that the quality of the shoot isn't great (as expected) but how many times can we watch the same story in a slightly different location?

Am I wrong?
post #138 of 1448 Old 10-05-2010, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

I'll check it out tonight, but so far I'm snoozin' on the first 2 epps. Not that the quality of the shoot isn't great (as expected) but how many times can we watch the same story in a slightly different location?

Am I wrong?

You are correct.
post #139 of 1448 Old 10-05-2010, 05:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Am I wrong?

Especially with all the really excellent programming to be found elsewhere on broadcast TV.
post #140 of 1448 Old 10-05-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Punter View Post

You are correct.

Couldn't disagree more. For one thing, this is a fact-based yarn, even though I'm also aware that, dramatically, much of it is fictional. One might even say, since we are viewing the birth of organized crime, that all previously seen shows/movies in the genre might actually be considered the off-spring of BOARDWALK's events. It also is effectively illustrating the stupidity and ineffectiveness of Prohibition policies. (I'm looking forward to seeing more of Babette's speakeasy.)

Much to like in the latest episode. The dressing room scene stands out...Paz's physical magnificence and McDonald's having to deal with her, the afore-mentioned scenes with the doctor and dentist, Nucky not knowing what the word "m*****f**k*r meant, Shannon's bible-obsessed Fed whose tactics contradict his beliefs, etc.

The Soprano's was always more of a family drama to me than anything else, but BOARDWALK is going in a different direction which pleases me no end. As does the combination of reality and the superficial. I'm totally engaged!
post #141 of 1448 Old 10-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Wow, I loved Episode 3. this show is really hitting its stride. i can't wait for the next one. It took a couple of episodes to lay the foundation, but it is pure gold at this point.

The acting is and dialogue are phenomenal IMO. Love the New York and Chicago mobsters in particular. It will be very interesting to see Jimmy join forces with Capone in Chicago with all the upheaval there too (i.e. Turrio overthrowing Big Jim).

I just basically love how every scene feels authentic. I don't need mindless action, forced dialogue, and dumbing down of TV that is all (broadcast and cable tv).
post #142 of 1448 Old 10-05-2010, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
In the dentist's office scene, the Fed relied on the woman to translate what the dying guy said in Yiddish. But then the Fed's partner expanded on the translation (adding "little"), so apparently he understood Yiddish as well. Not a big point, but it kind of undermined the dramatic/comedic effect of having to have this poor woman translate in front of her son.
post #143 of 1448 Old 10-05-2010, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

In the dentist's office scene, the Fed relied on the woman to translate what the dying guy said in Yiddish. But then the Fed's partner expanded on the translation (adding "little"), so apparently he understood Yiddish as well. Not a big point, but it kind of undermined the dramatic/comedic effect of having to have this poor woman translate in front of her son.

I took it as a statement that the junior fed thinks the big fed is a dick and didn't offer to help, but was happy to point out the "little" bit.
post #144 of 1448 Old 10-05-2010, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

I took it as a statement that the junior fed thinks the big fed is a dick and didn't offer to help, but was happy to point out the "little" bit.

That's the way I took it also, and actually felt it made it even funnier.
post #145 of 1448 Old 10-05-2010, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
^^^^ Me three.

Painful scene in the doctor's office, too..... Yikes!

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #146 of 1448 Old 10-05-2010, 09:07 AM

So far I think HBO is knocking it out of the park with this one!!

It doesn't seem derivative to me, but I haven't been a great fan of gangster movies in the past. It all seems pretty fresh.

Where HBO (and Showtime/Starz) win out over cable/network on this type of show, is no commercial breaks to chop up the narrative. Boardwalk Empire seems like one continous movie; in excellent acting, directing and production design.
post #147 of 1448 Old 10-05-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Ahhhh, OK, that makes total sense, then. Speaking of the Fed being a dick, the scene at the dinner table with his wife (commenting on the roast), was priceless.
post #148 of 1448 Old 10-05-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

but how many times can we watch the same story in a slightly different location?

Am I wrong?

You've pretty much described life. Same stuff, different day.

Seriously, just because it's a crime drama doesn't make it identical to those that came before. It sure seems different to me.

Art
post #149 of 1448 Old 10-05-2010, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

Ahhhh, OK, that makes total sense, then. Speaking of the Fed being a dick, the scene at the dinner table with his wife (commenting on the roast), was priceless.

Another nice bit if writing there too, especially after his boss had to give him a direct order to get him to go home and spend time with the wife. It'll be interesting to see how his character develops.
post #150 of 1448 Old 10-05-2010, 02:30 PM

Liked: 15
Great scene in the dressing room at the end of this past episode.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Boardwalk Empire Seasons 1 3 Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page