AVS Forum banner

'BOARDWALK EMPIRE' on HBO HD

110K views 2K replies 164 participants last post by  oink 
#1 ·
It's not public yet but, even though the series' first season has yet to premiere (they should be wrapping in a week or two), the end results have already prompted HBO (despite the high expense...about $50 million just for the Scorsese-directed opener) to renew it for second season!

#1,304 ·
Should be interesting to see how Chalky reads the situation. To him it appears Nucky had a hand in trying to take him out. I wonder if he'll uncover the Mayor's (and the Dr.'s) role before taking action.

Also that tension when the Dr. realized he had Chalky's daughter dropped in his lap while possibly laying in wait.

And will Capone think Torrio was behind the attempt? Coincidence or not - hmm.

I have to agree though, Knox or whatever name he is using this week, may be short for time. He just pushes and pushes and is a sloppy hand. What the heck good did it do to shoot a guy that is a part of the operation he is posing as an insider with? Big moves for a little mind.

#1,306 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1260_60#post_23934961

Should be interesting to see how Chalky reads the situation. To him it appears Nucky had a hand in trying to take him out.
No doubt he will....at first.

Quote:
Also that tension when the Dr. realized he had Chalky's daughter dropped in his lap while possibly laying in wait.
I thought for sure something bad was gonna happen there.

Quote:
And will Capone think Torrio was behind the attempt?
You bet he will, and Torrio will get a reply in lead.

Quote:
I have to agree though, Knox or whatever name he is using this week, may be short for time. He just pushes and pushes and is a sloppy hand. What the heck good did it do to shoot a guy that is a part of the operation he is posing as an insider with? Big moves for a little mind.
What I don't understand is why he Knox stop the shipment in the first place if he is going to let Nucky have it anyway.

And why didn't he arrest him for possession of booze and heroin right on the spot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymzy  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1260_60#post_23935255

Hoover is not very interested in Knox's effort.
I find that interesting.

#1,307 ·
The way the liquor/dope convoy was stopped has me confused. Knox is on the inside of Nucky's operation. He's giving us the appearance of squeezing Eli for legitimate law enforcement motives. But, Hoover's lack of interest and failure to recognize Knox is giving him pause. Where Knox will ultimately go is unclear, but I wasn't aware that his status as a federal agent was known to anyone in Nucky's operation other than Eli. His conduct at the stop clearly indentified him as a federal agent. Did Nucky already know this and assume he had turned? If so, I must have missed it.

#1,308 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1260_60#post_23935597

The way the liquor/dope convoy was stopped has me confused. Knox is on the inside of Nucky's operation. He's giving us the appearance of squeezing Eli for legitimate law enforcement motives. But, Hoover's lack of interest and failure to recognize Knox is giving him pause. Where Knox will ultimately go is unclear, but I wasn't aware that his status as a federal agent was known to anyone in Nucky's operation other than Eli. His conduct at the stop clearly indentified him as a federal agent. Did Nucky already know this and assume he had turned? If so, I must have missed it.
Nucky knows he is an agent, albeit a crooked one.

However, he doesn't know Knox has turned Eli....yet.

Knox stopped the convoy under the guise of a federal bust because Nuck wanted to find out if there really was heroin in the booze shipment as his Florida girl had told him.

Lansky was taking this shipment directly to NY as per his agreement with Nucky.

Nothing was ever agreed upon about heroin and it pissed Nuck off.

#1,312 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1260_60#post_23936618

Damn. I wish I could watch the rest of this season RIGHT NOW!
Yeah, that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhopkins  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1260_60#post_23936841

I think that this has been my favorite Boardwalk Empire season so far - lots of stuff going on and all of it interesting, at least to me. The last two episodes should be great television.
I wouldn't call it the best season so far, but it has picked up steam lately and really pulled me in.

#1,313 ·
I agree that this may be the best season of the show yet. Ev-ery Ti-me Doc-tor Nar-cisse drawls out another mellifluous line, I smile. I have been almost as impressed by the talented young singer-actress, Margot Bingham as Daughter Maitland. Her a cappella rendition of the spiritual during the closing credits moved me. The guy playing the slimy Agent Knox is amazing, I hate, hate, hate the character and am thirsting to see Nucky deliver his comeuppance, almost as much as I am looking forward to Doc-tor Nar-cisse's demise. The show's ensemble cast is amazing!

#1,314 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1290#post_23937849

I agree that this may be the best season of the show yet. Ev-ery Ti-me Doc-tor Nar-cisse drawls out another mellifluous line, I smile. I have been almost as impressed by the talented young singer-actress, Margot Bingham as Daughter Maitland. Her a cappella rendition of the spiritual during the closing credits moved me. The guy playing the slimy Agent Knox is amazing, I hate, hate, hate the character and am thirsting to see Nucky deliver his comeuppance, almost as much as I am looking forward to Doc-tor Nar-cisse's demise. The show's ensemble cast is amazing!
Completely agree about the wonderfully precise Dr. Narcisse. Jeffery Wright is incredible in the role, just the latest in his very versatile and distinguished body of work. Like you, methinks that the good Doctor will meet a richly deserved end at Nucky 's hands.

#1,315 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1260_60#post_23937849

I agree that this may be the best season of the show yet. Ev-ery Ti-me Doc-tor Nar-cisse drawls out another mellifluous line, I smile.
LOL....yeah, he is (to quote Han Solo) an "old smoothy"
)

Quote:
I have been almost as impressed by the talented young singer-actress, Margot Bingham as Daughter Maitland. Her a cappella rendition of the spiritual during the closing credits moved me. The guy playing the slimy Agent Knox is amazing, I hate, hate, hate the character and am thirsting to see Nucky deliver his comeuppance, almost as much as I am looking forward to Doc-tor Nar-cisse's demise. The show's ensemble cast is amazing!
+1000000

#1,316 ·
Good episode. Nobody commented on Rothstein and Margaret's deal. Interesting scene with them.

I'm curious to see how Knox will react to getting blown off by Hoover. Eli apparently fed him fake info as he didn't give him Capone in regards to Torrio.

With regards to the hit on Capone, yes it could be Torrio's doing--or O'Banion's people.

I thought Narcisse was going to take Chalky's kids hostage to get him to come to him.

#1,317 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeny  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1300_100#post_23938915

I thought Narcisse was going to take Chalky's kids hostage to get him to come to him.

I was wondering the same thing until I remembered that at the time of Narcisse's exchange with Chalky's daughter, Narcisse almost certainly still thought that a couple of sheriff's deputies were in the process of killing Chalky.

#1,319 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1260_60#post_23939115

I think Narcisse's plans for Chalk's daughter is/was to convert her to a follower/devotee to him similar to how Daughter was loyal to him, until he smacked her around
I thought this too.

#1,320 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1300_100#post_23939115

I think Narcisse's plans for Chalk's daughter is/was to convert her to a follower/devotee to him similar to how Daughter was loyal to him, until he smacked her around
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1300_100#post_23939316

I thought this too.

That makes sense to me too. Chalky's daughter is vulnerable and the doctor is clearly skilled at subverting troubled young women.

#1,321 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1260_60#post_23939510

That makes sense to me too. Chalky's daughter is vulnerable and the doctor is clearly skilled at subverting troubled young women.
At the time, I also thought there was a distinct possibility the good Dr. might kill her.

IMO, he is capable of absolutely anything.

#1,322 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1290#post_23939510

I don't think so, I think he's a psychotic maniac that managed to terrify one of his victims' young daughter, through beating her until she was broken. Chalky's daughter is not that dumb.

#1,323 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1300_50#post_23910308

I was surprised that, apparently, Capone sent men to retire O'Banion without giving Van Alden the chance to make good on his promise..
In real life apparently Johnny Torrio wasn't amused by O'Banion's brewery deal:

"In May 1924, O'Banion discovered that their Sieben Brewery was going to be raided by federal agents and sold his share to Torrio. After the raid, both O'Banion and Torrio were arrested. Torrio's people murdered O'Banion in revenge on October 10, 1924, provoking a gang war."

#1,325 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1320#post_23951170

22 new posts concerning last week's episode!...I haven't watched last week's show yet (nor read the comments in this thread) but big things must have gone down for everyone to come out of hibernation and energize this thread again

A pretty major character resolution in tonight's episode. Even if you expected something regarding the individual, you might not see this coming.

#1,326 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1320#post_23962761

A pretty major character resolution in tonight's episode. Even if you expected something regarding the individual, you might not see this coming.

Yes, this was a more character driven episode setting up the action packed finale.

I believe that a few main characters will be killed or jailed next week.

#1,328 ·
So how come the guy in the mask kills half of state and no one even asked, now my favorite gal is going to jail, op's I know the mask man gets the pinks and a few others, no one knows anything. After all did there not seem to be a shot that had Thompson making a deal with him in the previews.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.