AVS Forum banner

'BOARDWALK EMPIRE' on HBO HD

110K views 2K replies 164 participants last post by  oink 
#1 ·
It's not public yet but, even though the series' first season has yet to premiere (they should be wrapping in a week or two), the end results have already prompted HBO (despite the high expense...about $50 million just for the Scorsese-directed opener) to renew it for second season!

#1,329 ·
Glad to see Gillian get what she had coming. Knew something was in play there but couldn't gather who was behind it. "For the commodore..." indeed.

Shout out to Louis Gossett Jr. too for a superb cameo. Character fit him so well I wish we had more time with him.

A week without Van Alden is week left feeling empty.

#1,330 ·
great to see Louis Gosset Jr, haven't seen him in anything in a long time

Will Daughter return to the Dr in Atlantic City ? or is she gone completely, off on her own?

Is Nucky on to the fact that the FBI agent (said Insurance salesman) is working with his brother ?

after the attempted takedown of Capone by (supposedly) Turio, how come not one mention in last night's episode about what happens next out there?

#1,331 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1320#post_23963829

great to see Louis Gosset Jr, haven't seen him in anything in a long time

Is Nucky on to the fact that the FBI agent (said Insurance salesman) is working with his brother ?

after the attempted takedown of Capone by (supposedly) Turio, how come not one mention in last night's episode about what happens next out there?

Seemed pretty obvious that Nucky suspects something's up. He's no dummy. As for Capone, they gotta save something for next week!

#1,332 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1320#post_23963676

Glad to see Gillian get what she had coming. Knew something was in play there but couldn't gather who was behind it. "For the commodore..." indeed.

Shout out to Louis Gossett Jr. too for a superb cameo. Character fit him so well I wish we had more time with him.

A week without Van Alden is week left feeling empty.
I felt certain that Roy was connected to the faux-Jimmy she killed but thought he might have been a brother or some other family member seeking revenge, didn't expect Pinkertons.

#1,333 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1320#post_23964385

I felt certain that Roy was connected to the faux-Jimmy she killed but thought he might have been a brother or some other family member seeking revenge, didn't expect Pinkertons.

That caught me by surprise too. I thought he was scamming her for money. He seemed to have mixed feeling about what he did at the end.

There is a lot to be resolved next week. Should be intense!

#1,334 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1320#post_23964567

That caught me by surprise too. I thought he was scamming her for money. He seemed to have mixed feeling about what he did at the end.

There is a lot to be resolved next week. Should be intense!

I was of the same mind as Keenan...figured he was a relative perhaps. Never expected it to play out as it did. One reason I love the show is that, even after 4 seasons, it never fails to surprise...even if one thinks they have an idea of what may occur. I doubt there will be any additional resolution with this character next week. (There's so much still to cover in the finale. The bigger question...will we see her again next season? She doesn't seem to really have any further connection with the others, as it stands now. Hope I'm wrong, 'cause she has the most radiant smile and eyes!

#1,335 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1320#post_23965280

. The bigger question...will we see her again next season? She doesn't seem to really have any further connection with the others, as it stands now. Hope I'm wrong, 'cause she has the most radiant smile and eyes!

I am with you on this and she is the only one that pulls of the twenties flapper style. I have photos of my mother from the late twenties and she looks just the same and a lot like Gretchen Mol. Early days Hollywood was a real hot because all the pretty people came out here to get into the movies.

She can't be gone forever

#1,337 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1320#post_23965381

I am with you on this and she is the only one that pulls of the twenties flapper style. I have photos of my mother from the late twenties and she looks just the same and a lot like Gretchen Mol. Early days Hollywood was a real hot because all the pretty people came out here to get into the movies.

She can't be gone forever

I was watching Rounders this past weekend and I was stunned when I realized she played the girlfriend of Matt Damon in that movie.

#1,338 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1320#post_23965664

One thing to keep in mind. The Pinks were a private detective agency. Just because they have the confession does not mean the police do.

Just to scratch an itch, Googled them and they have a very special relationship with the Fed and about every one ells. So I would bet they have arrest powers.

#1,340 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1320#post_23968685

We are about two episodes behind and was wondering if Eddie's fate had been addressed yet. In the episode we saw last night Doyle has Eddie's cane and Nuck just popped him upside the head with it. Did I miss something?

After Eddie's encounter with the Feds, at the end of the episode he jumped out the window of his apartment committing suicide.

#1,341 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1320#post_23968721

After Eddie's encounter with the Feds, at the end of the episode he jumped out the window of his apartment committing suicide.

Yes we saw that but it seems like unless it hasn't been discovered yet someone would have made mention of it.

#1,342 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1320#post_23968772

Yes we saw that but it seems like unless it hasn't been discovered yet someone would have made mention of it.

He was discovered immediately.

Eli talked with Knox about the letter Eddie left and Nucky told Margaret about Eddie at the train station during their meeting. What else do you mean by "addressing it"? The guy killed himself and now Nucky has to deal with inept help taking his place but beyond that there's really nothing Eddie had to contribute to the plot that would be key to other characters on the show.

#1,344 ·
I suspect its fair to say that's probably the last we will see of Gillian. Her story had pretty much run out anyways.

I think I guessed it about 15 seconds before he said it but it was still a big surprise.

I can't think of too many other shows where they essentially had two groups: New Jersey and Chicago and told their stories in parallel but they rarely intersected.

Sometimes I wonder if they should just have another show for Chicago.

#1,345 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1320#post_23969201

He was discovered immediately.

Eli talked with Knox about the letter Eddie left and Nucky told Margaret about Eddie at the train station during their meeting. What else do you mean by "addressing it"? The guy killed himself and now Nucky has to deal with inept help taking his place but beyond that there's really nothing Eddie had to contribute to the plot that would be key to other characters on the show.

I don't know, it seemed as though I might have missed something, watching late, sleepy, and perhaps a little "overserved". I did hear Eli and Knox talking about the letter but I would think that someone like Eddie would warrant more screen time than Willie, at the very least.

I'll try and pay attention next time.

#1,346 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1320#post_23969818

I suspect its fair to say that's probably the last we will see of Gillian. Her story had pretty much run out anyways.

I think I guessed it about 15 seconds before he said it but it was still a big surprise.

I can't think of too many other shows where they essentially had two groups: New Jersey and Chicago and told their stories in parallel but they rarely intersected.

Sometimes I wonder if they should just have another show for Chicago.

I think the trial could give the writers a bunch of new areas to explore, like getting Nucky on the stand and ask what happened to the real Jimmy Darmody. And for the trial just think the movie CHICAGO without the song and dance stuff.

#1,347 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1320#post_23971140

I think the trial could give the writers a bunch of new areas to explore, like getting Nucky on the stand and ask what happened to the real Jimmy Darmody.

I can see that happening, particularly given Knox's eagerness...he grab at any excuse/reason to bring him down and expose the multi-state operation. It could go either way...we've seen her for the last time or

we see her in court. I do hope she stays on the show.

#1,348 ·
IRL, J Edgar did not focus on "Organized Crime" at this point. I suspect that the writers are planning on using Knox being knocked off/disappearing as Hoovers' motivation to change that focus.

On another aspect, I suspect Leander will use the confession the Pinks got to "motivate" Gillian to work for him.

#1,349 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1320#post_23963829

It is possible that Will told Nucky who the insurance agent was off camera. When the family drove away Will was looking at Nucky as though they may have something between them.

#1,350 ·
I too loved this week's episode. As others did, I thought there was something fishy about Roy but didn't figure it out until he and the other Pinkerton agents took down Gillian. I am wondering what will happen to the sleazy Agent Knox? I hope that whatever it is, it isn't good. The shootout that resulted in Oscar's death was exciting. Is their any possibility that the then absent Daughter had something to do with the attack on Oscar's place? I continue to love the show. With the possible exception of Downton Abbey, Boardwalk Empire does the best job on television of capturing the flavor of the 1920s with its costumes, automobiles, and sets.

#1,352 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein  /t/1251882/boardwalk-empire-on-hbo-hd/1300_100#post_23988408

I think not. I believe it was the one dude that left. I think the quote was something about "ain't go to no Balmore" or something like that

Thanks, I had forgotten about the fellow who had left Oscar's place in a clearly unhappy state of mind. Anyway, it was hard for me to take seriously that Daughter would ever betray Chalky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.