'BOARDWALK EMPIRE' on HBO HD - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 1448 Old 10-05-2010, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i liked how they showed thompson noticing the dirt he was tracking into the hotel as he walked into the elevator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1448 Old 10-05-2010, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpatky View Post

i liked how they showed thompson noticing the dirt he was tracking into the hotel as he walked into the elevator.

I thought that was a metaphor for the "dirt" he sees himself bringing into his life.
We're just seeing the very beginning of prohibition, it gets MUCH worse as the money being made funds organized crime on a scale never seen before.
post #153 of 1448 Old 10-05-2010, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'm still not feeling this show. It reminds me of Mad Men and why I couldn't get into that show. Historically accurate as far as set design, clothes, etc with great production values, great acting, and great(ish) writing, but a plot that's just incredibly boring with characters I simply don't care about (and that's hard to do with Buscemi leading the way). They're also doing something Mad Men did which irks the hell out of me...nods to the future/intentionally showcasing how different the time period was. Most notably, they did it with the vacuum sweeper, and then again with the dentist (there were other times as well). It's hard to explain, but it feels...unnatural the way it's presented. CarnivÃ*le was set in a similar time period and I never got that feeling. It could just be me and my weirdness...lol.

I'll still watch for a few more episodes though since shows like this need time to breathe. Hopefully it picks up.

Though they really need to stop letting the kids on the show speak. They're awful. Jimmy's son especially. They slap me back to reality quickly and completely take me out of the show.
post #154 of 1448 Old 10-05-2010, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If you did not like episode 3 of Boardwalk Empire, take it as a sign that this show is not for you. I think the last episode was the best so far and I thought the first two were great - watched them both a second time in fact. I get a kick out of Van Alden, the pious Federal Revenue agent who will torture a dying man for a name and then quote scripture. Priceless!
post #155 of 1448 Old 10-06-2010, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

I get a kick out of Van Alden, the pious Federal Revenue agent who will torture a dying man for a name and then quote scripture. Priceless!

Yes, perfect casting for that character. If you want to see (IMO) his best work, check out the movie "Bug".

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #156 of 1448 Old 10-06-2010, 05:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhopkins View Post

If you did not like episode 3 of Boardwalk Empire, take it as a sign that this show is not for you. I think the last episode was the best so far and I thought the first two were great -

+1. This is a character-driven drama, not a police procedural or mob procedural. As such many people expecting shootouts and action will be disappointed.
post #157 of 1448 Old 10-06-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I thought that was a metaphor for the "dirt" he sees himself bringing into his life.
We're just seeing the very beginning of prohibition, it gets MUCH worse as the money being made funds organized crime on a scale never seen before.

exactly
post #158 of 1448 Old 10-06-2010, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

I'm still not feeling this show. It reminds me of Mad Men and why I couldn't get into that show. Historically accurate as far as set design, clothes, etc with great production values, great acting, and great(ish) writing, but a plot that's just incredibly boring with characters I simply don't care about (and that's hard to do with Buscemi leading the way). They're also doing something Mad Men did which irks the hell out of me...nods to the future/intentionally showcasing how different the time period was. Most notably, they did it with the vacuum sweeper, and then again with the dentist (there were other times as well). It's hard to explain, but it feels...unnatural the way it's presented. CarnivÃ*le was set in a similar time period and I never got that feeling. It could just be me and my weirdness...lol.

I'll still watch for a few more episodes though since shows like this need time to breathe. Hopefully it picks up.

Though they really need to stop letting the kids on the show speak. They're awful. Jimmy's son especially. They slap me back to reality quickly and completely take me out of the show.

I love the show, but we all have different tastes.

I wanted to thank you for actually outlining the reasons it doesn't work for you. Too many people on message boards just come in, say something sucks, and never say why.

Art
post #159 of 1448 Old 10-06-2010, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

I wanted to thank you for actually outlining the reasons it doesn't work for you. Too many people on message boards just come in, say something sucks, and never say why.

My hate is always logical. Actually I don't dislike the show...I simply don't like it (yet anyway). It is a well-made show and it's deserving of all the critical praise that's been heaped upon it, and I can definitely see why people love it. But like you said, some people have different tastes, and so far it hasn't pleased my palate.

If it can stop being a period piece that knows it's a period piece, and do away with some of the less interesting ancillary characters, I can see myself getting into it. If not, I'd just throw it on the pile of great shows that didn't interest me like Mad Men and The Wire (not a huge fan of cop dramas though this was by far one of the best dramas ever made. Period).
post #160 of 1448 Old 10-07-2010, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

My hate is always logical. Actually I don't dislike the show...I simply don't like it (yet anyway). It is a well-made show and it's deserving of all the critical praise that's been heaped upon it, and I can definitely see why people love it. But like you said, some people have different tastes, and so far it hasn't pleased my palate.

If it can stop being a period piece that knows it's a period piece, and do away with some of the less interesting ancillary characters, I can see myself getting into it. If not, I'd just throw it on the pile of great shows that didn't interest me like Mad Men and The Wire (not a huge fan of cop dramas though this was by far one of the best dramas ever made. Period).

i'm kinda with you on this, it's not bad, but it's not really good.

it clearly is not in the league of band of brothers, sopranos, the pacific.
i'll probably keep watching it, but it just isn't really grabbing me. i think you
could say i don't find it compelling.

neflixis our nemesis
post #161 of 1448 Old 10-07-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhopkins View Post

If you did not like episode 3 of Boardwalk Empire, take it as a sign that this show is not for you. I think the last episode was the best so far and I thought the first two were great - watched them both a second time in fact. I get a kick out of Van Alden, the pious Federal Revenue agent who will torture a dying man for a name and then quote scripture. Priceless!

Agreed.

I'm about 90% sold on this show. I'll definitely be watching it until the end of the season that's for sure. I'm glad it has been renewed for season 2 so I'll probably stay tuned for that as well. Last episode was great. Van Alden's twisted torture was cringe-worthy and pretty sadistic. I had to turn my head for a second. Michael Shannon's role as John Givings in Revolutionary Road was quite entertaining. Revolutionary Road has to be one of my favorite films.

I may be in the minority with this but I think Steve Buscemi has nailed his role as Enoch Thompson. His girlfriend is a total b*tch though. lol
post #162 of 1448 Old 10-07-2010, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1rates View Post

I may be in the minority with this but I think Steve Buscemi has nailed his role as Enoch Thompson.

I'm with you there! I'm finding this far more engrossing than The Sopranos. When I was a VERY little kid, I remember there was a TV show called THE ROARING TWENTIES (created in the wake of THE UNTOUCHABLES' success). I remember being taken by some of the flappers. I can't think of any other show that has mined this era since. But the acting, characters (I like Alden as well. Capone too.), writing, production design are all combining to make this a weekly "must-watch" for me...more than any other new series I've seen this season. I expect Golden Globe voters will agree. And I'm expecting it to get even better, as 1920 was an election year as well. Not to mention...have any of these characters been introduced to radio yet?
post #163 of 1448 Old 10-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1rates View Post

I may be in the minority with this but I think Steve Buscemi has nailed his role as Enoch Thompson. His girlfriend is a total b*tch though. lol

When I looked her up, I was quite amused to see that she was in Cider House Rules. Given the time frame, maybe the character in The Cider House Rules is the daughter of Lucy.
post #164 of 1448 Old 10-10-2010, 09:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 333
"Wellllll. I ain't building no book case."

post #165 of 1448 Old 10-11-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

"Wellllll. I ain't building no book case."

Ouch!
post #166 of 1448 Old 10-11-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I found lasts nights episode to be the best of the 3 so far. I liked seeing new developments possible relationships etc. Gretchen Mol, WTF you doin girl.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #167 of 1448 Old 10-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Check out HBO's Boardwalk Empire page, very well done. 'Inside the Episode' with the series creator and background information on the characters has added to my enjoyment of the series. Gretchen Mol has a new fan
post #168 of 1448 Old 10-11-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post

Gretchen Mol has a new fan

You mean BETTY PAGE and AN AMERICAN AFFAIR didn't clinch it for you? I was disappointed only in that there were 7 slave girls on that stage when it was shot. But since HBO mandates "no widescreen," so the show can't be shot that way, we only saw three!
post #169 of 1448 Old 10-11-2010, 11:43 AM

My favorite so far...enjoyed the character developments.

Couple of comments - Capone is just a bit off, hmm?

Chalky's description was his Dad's work was pretty creepy - you just knew what was coming.

And, do finally, do you think Lucky was feeling pretty good after the little "squeeze" given his doctor's visit in the last ep?

Last comment - my wife was floored when "In my Sweet Little Alice Blue Gown" was sung @ Babette's. She said that he Grandfather always loved that song since he met his wife Alice @ a dance and she wearing a Blue Gown....while he was just a little kid in 1920, I am sure that the song was still around back in the mid/late 30's when the met...

(Edit: After a bit of internet searching, song came out in 1919 in the Musical Irene - Granmother Alice's middle name FWIW - and then was made into a movie in 1940. So, time line works well for them.)

Fun stuff for sure. Can't wait til next week.
post #170 of 1448 Old 10-11-2010, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons View Post

Nucky not knowing what the word "m*****f**k*r meant,

I felt that that was a bit historically inaccurate. That word didn't come about until WWII AFAIK. My understanding was Black GI's in Europe used that term of derision to describe a guy who had no game for wooing other than to essentially bribe women who's children were on the brink of starvation with a bit of food, cash, etc.
post #171 of 1448 Old 10-11-2010, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

I felt that that was a bit historically inaccurate. That word didn't come about until WWII AFAIK. My understanding was Black GI's in Europe used that term of derision to describe a guy who had no game for wooing other than to essentially bribe women who's children were on the brink of starvation with a bit of food, cash, etc.

One link I found said it "gained traction during WWII", not that it had never been used before that time. Another said it originated in 1918, which would make sense that Nucky might be unaware of its meaning. Other sources state it had been around since slave times in this country.

Art
post #172 of 1448 Old 10-11-2010, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post

I found lasts nights episode to be the best of the 3 so far. I liked seeing new developments possible relationships etc. Gretchen Mol, WTF you doin girl.

Show just keeps getting better. That poor working girl!!! I turned my head away when that happened (and this from a guy who has watched the most extreme horror films ever made!). Where's William Munney when you need him!
post #173 of 1448 Old 10-11-2010, 04:25 PM

Liked: 12
I have tried watching Mad Men and no matter how hard I try to like it, I never can. It feels like I'm sitting around waiting for something to happen.

Boardwalk Empire has really caught my attention and last nights episode was my favorite so far. It's such a detailed set and script that every scene feels real. Chalky's telling of his father was incredibly haunting and sad.

Cisco 8742HDC - 7.2.0_5 ODN | Panasonic UT50 | Panasonic P46U1
post #174 of 1448 Old 10-11-2010, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post

Show just keeps getting better. That poor working girl!!! I turned my head away when that happened (and this from a guy who has watched the most extreme horror films ever made!). Where's William Munney when you need him!

I gotta wonder what those movies are because that scene wasn't that bad. At all. O_o

This was the sort of episode I was waiting for. It still had its downsides (like the four stooges plotting against Nucky), but overall it was much more engaging than the previous ones. They definitely need to give Kelly MacDonald more to do as well.

By the way, since they list Gretchen Mol as a guest star, does that mean she'll be dead soon?
post #175 of 1448 Old 10-11-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:

I gotta wonder what those movies are because that scene wasn't that bad. At all. O_o

Not bad in a graphic sense, but the reality of it has more impact, especially since we saw it coming.
post #176 of 1448 Old 10-11-2010, 10:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons View Post

Not bad in a graphic sense, but the reality of it has more impact, especially since we saw it coming.

It was a fairly predictable story move and to be honest I thought the prop knife was a bit obvious. Especially when the knife made a nice red line across her eyelid.

It seems that it's required practice in movies and TV shows for a prostitute to get her face slashed as a form of vengeance. Usually it's Westerns so at least the period is different.

post #177 of 1448 Old 10-12-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:

I haven't seen ep. 4 yet but I predict that Jimmy is Nucky's illegitimate son.
Ep 3. hinted at the past relationship between Nucky and Jimmy's mom.

I did like the scene where she didn't like to be called Grandma "..when the peaches are still ripe" or something like that....
post #178 of 1448 Old 10-13-2010, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Feeling a little stupid after realizing it was episode 4 and not 3.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #179 of 1448 Old 10-13-2010, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post

Feeling a little stupid after realizing it was episode 4 and not 3.

Dont worry It's just the "Gretchen Mol Effect." lol
post #180 of 1448 Old 10-13-2010, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
ep 4 was best so far

neflixis our nemesis
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Boardwalk Empire Seasons 1 3 Blu Ray