"Persons Unknown" on NBC HD - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 528 Old 08-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I notice the finale here in the bay area is on after baseball. If the game runs long are we gonna get screwed?

Never signs up for anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 528 Old 08-28-2010, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Liked: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmacat View Post

I notice the finale here in the bay area is on after baseball. If the game runs long are we gonna get screwed?

The key is probably game length .. I would sure set your DVR if you are using one to run some extra time ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #393 of 528 Old 08-28-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmacat View Post

The last few episodes are always On Demand in my area for a week or two after air date .. just a thought

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #394 of 528 Old 08-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post

Check your SD subchannels.. Here on WNBC NY due to some kind of pre season Sports crap, it's on 8-10PM on the -2, "NY-Now" channel instead ...

No joy. We have old movies on our "This TV" (4.2) sub. WDIV (4.1) has also filled the 7-8 hour with infomercials. There was some some joy in the scathing e-mail I sent them.

Between NBC jerking us around on the previous episode, and WDIV jerking us around tonight, I'm done with anything serial on NBC. They can stick "The Event" where the sun don't shine. I had been looking forward to "all will be revealed" and now they have screwed me over.
post #395 of 528 Old 08-28-2010, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 3424 Post(s)
Liked: 3290
Honestly, they don't care about the show and they don't care about us. Audience loyalty means nothing to them if they don't deem it large enough to generate sufficient ad revenue. We've about seen the end of heavily serialized drama on the broadcast networks. The public simply won't support anything that demands an attention span longer than 42 tightly scripted minutes. It's what we as a culture have come to. If 'The Event' crashes, we won't see another one of these for years. Is that what you want?

You'll only see things like this on cablenets which generate subscription fees as well as ad revenue and don't rely on a mass audience to succeed. They have other metrics and other revenue streams that allow and even encourage such programming.

But they'll be cheaper too, by and large. HBO and some of the premiums still have the financial muscle to produce shows that rival the broadcast nets in production quality. But the days of getting a huge splashy serial drama like LOST are over, I fear. Especially if 'The Event' tanks.
post #396 of 528 Old 08-28-2010, 12:25 PM

archiguy.. a sad commentary, likely true .. the shows that get the attention of discriminating viewers.. Rome, Dexter, Son's of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, etc.. all serialized, all outside the majors ..

The networks want to keep feeding us a steady diet of cheap and easy to produce "reality" TV, which, with some exception, is pretty much garbage .. that combined with legal, boring comedy and medical material .. those of us that actually enjoy getting into a show and wondering what's next I guess we're either a dying breed or a very small minority .. or maybe our demographic just does not spend enough ..

Uncle Willie

post #397 of 528 Old 08-28-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

.. those of us that actually enjoy getting into a show and wondering what's next I guess we're either a dying breed or a very small minority .. or maybe our demographic just does not spend enough ..

Actually we do. Advertisers care about high-income demographics. More intelligent people generally make higher incomes and that fact has kept many a low rated series on the air for a little longer. 'The West Wing' was never a ratings powerhouse, but its affluent viewership kept Jed Bartlett in the White House for a couple of seasons past when the total audience numbers might have impeached him.

However, such largess only goes so far. As far as the network suits are concerned, 10 million glazed eyeballs are preferable to 5 million focused ones.
post #398 of 528 Old 08-28-2010, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post

See my post right above yours ... It's already up on Fios, on NBC on Demand .. so it's probably up to the Cable Co, not NBC, to make it available ...

I watched it on Cox's "Your Primetime" OnDemand last night. I can't imagine jumping from #10 to #12 without seeing #11. I wonder how much NBC will try to update the viewers before the start of #12?
post #399 of 528 Old 08-28-2010, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post

WDIV in Detroit is showing a Wheel of Fortune episode and an infomercial in place of the 8:00 Episode 12. No late night broadcast. All will be reveled, but not in Detroit.

Hard to believe that an urban area like Detroit is not going to get this show. A phone call is in order. Please post what they have to say.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #400 of 528 Old 08-28-2010, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

If 'The Event' crashes, we won't see another one of these for years. Is that what you want?

The days of getting a huge splashy serial drama like LOST are over, I fear. Especially if 'The Event' tanks.

I think I called it several pages back, but "The Event" WILL tank. I'm not watching it. It brings back bad memories of Jericho.

Its sad that "Lost" is the rare example of the serialized drama that wasn't canceled. Nearly every other drama has been canceled rather than be allowed to conclude on its own terms. AVSForum is littered with threads about these shows, too. Some deserved to be canceled, of course, but many were just not finding their audience.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #401 of 528 Old 08-28-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I think I called it several pages back, but "The Event" WILL tank. I'm not watching it. It brings back bad memories of Jericho.

Its sad that "Lost" is the rare example of the serialized drama that wasn't canceled. Nearly every other drama has been canceled rather than be allowed to conclude on its own terms. AVSForum is littered with threads about these shows, too. Some deserved to be canceled, of course, but many were just not finding their audience.

Oh, I think they found their audience all right. It just wasn't big enough to satisfy the money men. There are just a few million people who will seek out and support this type of programming. Either that works in their business model or it doesn't.

At any rate, not watching a new, cool serialized drama is not only cutting off your nose to spite your face if you enjoy that sort of fare, it's also contributing to its demise. Especially if you're a Nielsen family.

Me, I'm watching, for as long as I get to. It's bound to be more engaging than CSI: Bismark, or the Wild Housewives of Possum Crik, or Gordon Ramsey Throws Another Tantrum. It's the kind of thing we, who claim to value quality-driven long-form storytelling, ought to support.
post #402 of 528 Old 08-28-2010, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what a **** move by wdiv
post #403 of 528 Old 08-28-2010, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

It's the kind of thing we, who claim to value quality-driven long-form storytelling, ought to support.

Oh, I enjoy quality storytelling. I don't know that "The Event" will end up being quality. If it is, then I'll catch it on DVD before season 2 begins.

post #404 of 528 Old 08-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

Hard to believe that an urban area like Detroit is not going to get this show. A phone call is in order. Please post what they have to say.

I tried to call this afternoon. but they didn't answer.

I'm sure I can find it online, I would just prefer to watch on a larger TV, surround sound, etc. My setup for watching online is fairly basic. I'm recording the 2nd episode so I can watch it that way after I find #12.

Had I known I'd be chasing episodes online, I'd have never watched episode #1.
post #405 of 528 Old 08-28-2010, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4545 Post(s)
Liked: 3978
Im with everyone else, I was able to finally watch Episode 11 OnDemand. Shame on NBC (again) for cutting this episode. BTW from early reports "The Event" is the best of the new batch of shows from NBC. This doesnt mean much though as the US audience has been brought up on reality and "crap". Anything that requires any type of concenration that doesnt ahve to do with some prize is almost immediately shelved.

What can I say about this episode it was far from teh filler it was treated like. There was a lot of movement and I ahve to say IMO one of the best episodes as far as movement goes of the series. Its a shame that those that dont know about the offering online or OnDemand will miss that episode. I agree with CosmoNut that the conversation betweeen Liam and Janet was a very important and pivotal to the entire background of the show. It will be interesting to see how they handle the "hole" they have left now that the episode wont officially air.

I am very thankful for cable stations like HBO, AMC, Showtime, ect ect that they can give us the serialized programming that I love. Without shows like True Blood, Dexter, The Wire, Rubicon, Breaking bad and Carnivale, TV would be in a much worse place. Hopefully some of these shows that dont make it on the Networks woll be picked up by one of the Cable Channels (ala Southland).
post #406 of 528 Old 08-28-2010, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Not a satisfactory conclusion IMHO. I feel like I lost too many hours of my life. You never know, NBC may feel a sequel is warranted. Certainly a sequel is what this ending was all about. (I'm kidding...aren't I?)

Long live HARPER'S ISLAND.

Mikey Mo
"OAR OR DIE"

post #407 of 528 Old 08-28-2010, 10:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
which did you like better mikey? I have yet to finish watching Persons unknown. was the conclusion better in harpers island? I personally hated the last few episodes of Harpers.
post #408 of 528 Old 08-28-2010, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Im with everyone else, I was able to finally watch Episode 11 OnDemand. Shame on NBC (again) for cutting this episode. BTW from early reports "The Event" is the best of the new batch of shows from NBC. This doesnt mean much though as the US audience has been brought up on reality and "crap". Anything that requires any type of concenration that doesnt ahve to do with some prize is almost immediately shelved.

What can I say about this episode it was far from teh filler it was treated like. There was a lot of movement and I ahve to say IMO one of the best episodes as far as movement goes of the series. Its a shame that those that dont know about the offering online or OnDemand will miss that episode. I agree with CosmoNut that the conversation betweeen Liam and Janet was a very important and pivotal to the entire background of the show. It will be interesting to see how they handle the "hole" they have left now that the episode wont officially air.

I am very thankful for cable stations like HBO, AMC, Showtime, ect ect that they can give us the serialized programming that I love. Without shows like True Blood, Dexter, The Wire, Rubicon, Breaking bad and Carnivale, TV would be in a much worse place. Hopefully some of these shows that dont make it on the Networks woll be picked up by one of the Cable Channels (ala Southland).

With a TV-viewing mentality that constantly gives garbage such as ABC's "Wipeout" strong ratings, quality TV on OTA network TV will become quite scarce. Especially if it's serialized. America's audience seems to have ADD.
post #409 of 528 Old 08-28-2010, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

Not a satisfactory conclusion IMHO. I feel like I lost too many hours of my life. You never know, NBC may feel a sequel is warranted. Certainly a sequel is what this ending was all about. (I'm kidding...aren't I?)

LOL ... I feel like I just played a video game ... so this is what the Umbrella Corp is up to these days???
post #410 of 528 Old 08-29-2010, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1952
Watching those final three pointless hours was more painful than the injection table or being blown-up off camera in some way.

Tests without any real explanation, criteria for passing them totally askew (apparently being young, hot and crying a lot seems to get you a quick exit and promoted to night manager), corporations with an agenda so mysterious that they don't seem to know what it is, people being put in cages for dramatic effect, a hotel on a tanker (?), placing three candidates together who already know each other (the sequel - Persons Recognized?), Robert Picardo in a Saruman wig and lots and lots of other things which when added together equaled vast amounts of nothing substantial.

It was such a hastily thrown together resolution that scenes and locations just seem to take place from out of nowhere and time passed either extremely quickly or the characters moved extremely fast. For the life of me I still cannot fathom how the candidates are all still alive at the end. Why? What traits have we seen that make them valuable candidates for anything and worth testing them again? Do they have alien DNA? Brains made out of diamond? Reincarnated souls of brilliant minds that can only be unlocked at level IV?

In the end, back to the beginning.

post #411 of 528 Old 08-29-2010, 12:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ouch, sounds like I just saved myself four hours. Haven't seen episodes 10, 11, 12, or 13.

post #412 of 528 Old 08-29-2010, 01:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Oh don't pay any attention to Mikey, tighr. He hates everything!

Seriously, this is the first time I've even checked for a thread on this show, and I read about the last five posts, but I found the final few episodes fairly satisfying (from the standpoint that I assume they're setting us up for A SECOND SEASON).

Now IF we don't get a second season (and although I don't know what the ratings were, it's my understanding they weren't particularly high -- which was probably why this show was moved to Saturday nights ("death night" for first-run primetime shows on major OTA networks -- think "Kings" previously on NBC).

That said, I felt we were left with some rather intriguing answers AND questions that are set up to be played out in a second season (like just how Blackum DID know the name "Charlotte"). I suspected more than Joe were already in the program for most of the season, and I still do. Moira also struck me as a likely candidate to already be "in place" and acting to manipulate the others. For one thing, the fact that they found her and her compatriat half way around the world, wearing disguises, must mean SOMEONE committed "a breach."

I also suspected what was revealed about Janet's mom -- pretty much EXACTLY that. And I don't feel my time was wasted at all. I waited each week for Saturday night, and if I didn't get to watch it live, it was the first thing on the DVR I watched -- both episodes tonight -- even before "Being Human" (which was a bit tough, because I knew some MAJOR stuff was gonna happen on THAT show tonight, as well).

If they don't have a second season, I'll just shrug it off. It's happened so many times it's old hat at this point. But I certainly HOPE they do because I'd frankly like to see where this is going (and find out exactly WHY they go to all this trouble to manipulate and train folks, i.e., WHAT they use them for in society).

As for Tori Fairchild, perhaps she passed training more quickly than others... who knows? After all, they DID fake her death, so she's dead as far as the world is concerned. If she were aware of that and that playing along or REALLY being dead were her only options, perhaps she MADE the choice.
Jeff

PS -- I just scrolled up a bit and read some comments about the missing episode. I couldn't figure out HOW I'd missed watching or recording that one, but as soon as I started watching the first of two tonight, realized there was "previously on" content showing I hadn't seen, went to NBC.com and watched it... Figured my DVR just screwed up, or something. Do you folks mean to tell me the Nutty Broadcasting Company actually MADE THE DECISION to NOT air an OFFICIAL episode of this show TWO EPISODES prior to the finale?!? That HAS TO BE the crappiest, most insipid decision I've ever seen a network make in my life! Well, I'm guessing between THAT and the fact that they crammed the final two episodes into one night this show isn't looking likely to get renewed... Oh well, the way things are going at NBC, they're gonna reap what they sow.

Life is the only constant...

post #413 of 528 Old 08-29-2010, 02:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmedia2 View Post

which did you like better mikey? I have yet to finish watching Persons unknown. was the conclusion better in harpers island? I personally hated the last few episodes of Harpers.

I preferred Harper's by a mile if for nothing else than the PQ. Harper's, at least, had an ending. Harper's didn't get better as it went along and the tunnels were silly, as was the "second ending". We never did get an explanation for "propeller guy".

Mikey Mo
"OAR OR DIE"

post #414 of 528 Old 08-29-2010, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 38
there won't be a 2nd season because season 1 was filmed back in 2008, everyone moved on long ago.
post #415 of 528 Old 08-29-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post

there won't be a 2nd season because season 1 was filmed back in 2008, everyone moved on long ago.

They billed it as a miniseries, so I agree there won't be a season 2 - but it's not because the stars are all doing other huge projects. They're all pretty much no names except Alan Ruck.
post #416 of 528 Old 08-29-2010, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4545 Post(s)
Liked: 3978
Well it wasnt the most dissapointing finale that I can think of, but it did leave some major cliffhangers in the air. I can see why many people will get to the end and say WTF thats it? IMO this show would ahve been better on one of the cable networks and allowed to "breathe and grow". I think that a second mini series or season could of done a lot of interesting things following teh two different groups.

IMO what we saw at the end was the result of Madame Directors mistakes. They didnt specifically say it, but I dont think they ever had an entire group escape town succesfully. This working together to manipulate the director herself made them all viable canidates. As far as the new town with Joe, Tori, and janet's ex husband was a new "test" or experiment. We already know that Tori wasnt dead and in the program from a previous episode. What we may have saw were the different levels. Level 1 is the Town, Level 2 is the ship, ect. ect. As far as Tori being officially dead, that needs to happen so taht people stop looking for her since most if not all of the participants are reported missing. The only way to successfully move on would either to show up alive or dead, dead being preferrable as it allows the participant to start a new life without any interference.

I also agree that it was weird that Blackum did know "Charlotte", then again my memory could be fading and it was mentoned either during the video of her murder, or elsewhere. I doubt it, but you never know. Its one of the many mysteries that will never be answered.

Wish there would be another season, but alas I dont think it willever happen with all of the principle people.
post #417 of 528 Old 08-29-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 18
It wasn't the worst finale to a closed-end series ever, but it wasn't great.

I get the levels and I get why certain people are in level 2 and why others are in level 1. Of course I think we all get what the program is and why it was jeopardized and all that.

BUT we still had some questions that were ridiculously unanswered:

1.) How in episode 1 did Blackum get out of the hotel floor when it took a concerted effort of others to get out?

2.) Why the hell did NO ONE ask him about that?

3.) Why with 15 minutes left in the SERIES do we get this bombshell that Blackum knew the name of the other dude's wife, "Charlotte," with no explanation whatsoever? If it's a closed-end series, you don't drop something like that with a few minutes left in the SERIES and not answer it.
post #418 of 528 Old 08-29-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I assumed Blackum got her name off the killing video he found.
post #419 of 528 Old 08-29-2010, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I was pretty underwhelmed by the "conclusion" to the series. Not really a conclusion at all and as far as "all will be revealed" ... ummm ... so that was it??? Apparently way back when the show was shot they thought they may have a chance for a second season? Evidently all was revealed except the 11th episode.
post #420 of 528 Old 08-29-2010, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

I assumed Blackum got her name off the killing video he found.

That's not how it was presented. Blackum already knew about the killing video and explained that to the other guy. If it was simply that he got the name off the killing video, then it would not have been portrayed as a relevation that needs to be explained. Go back and watch this interaction in this finale about Charlotte. It was set up as an intriguing "revelation" that you expect to be answered/resolved in the next/final segment, but wasn't. Obviously piss poor writing for a closed-end series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page