Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1268 Old 09-29-2010, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Daaaamn what these aliens want?

My guess is that they just want to live here on earth peacefully, but the government just held them captive.

Hey wait a minute this sounds very familiar, were have I seen this? yes, it's just live "V" before they came on the big ships yes?

Did the aliens just cold blooded murdered the plane full of people?

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1268 Old 09-29-2010, 12:37 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I think a lot of people are suffering from the Lost syndrom. A lot of people are like, no this is a red herring, or this is going to change, etc. I don't think this show is going to do that. Its like since Lost did it, this show is going to too. I think they established it by saying "not of terrestrial origin" which clearly means not of earth. I think they are done with that story (where/when they are from). Now they will focus on what they want and why they are here. There is a lot more mystery to go even though they said they are alien. Lots more to uncover.

Again though, just because a government group thinks they are "not of terrestrial origin" does not mean they are correct in their assessment or thinking. Perhaps they are, maybe they are not... With shows like this I always just think it's best to keep an open mind and not take anything at face value. For me it's more fun that way and for some others... well, I can just see it now, five years later a bunch of pissed off posters are crying, "but they TOLD US THEY WERE ALIENS!!!".

ron
post #273 of 1268 Old 09-29-2010, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Again though, just because a government group thinks they are "not of terrestrial origin" does not mean they are correct in their assessment or thinking.

They could be from the future where humans have colonized Mars and they were born there.

That works.

post #274 of 1268 Old 09-29-2010, 12:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:

At this point they could still be anything. The only thing that has really been established to the viewing audience so far is that their DNA is apparently very slightly different than that of the "regular" population.

ron

And that they age incredibly slow.

-

I said I was going to save these to see if it would make it pas the initial order stage before watching but I have actually watched them. The show does appear to be a mash-up of sci-fi/action/spy-thriller themes, and it does seem as if the writers for 'The 4400' found new jobs, and since I really liked that show I'm sticking with this one for awhile. I still don't think Ritter is a strong enough actor for this sort of role, but it is what it is.

P.S. I'm not convinced they're aliens either, in fact, at this point I'm weighing heavily towards being humans from the future. We never did see what sort of 'aircraft' they 'crashed' in, maybe it wasn't a ship at all.
post #275 of 1268 Old 09-29-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Or the government did.

If the Other Visitors infiltrated the CIA, FBI, ATF, NSA etc. then they can pin the blame on the president by acting in his name and screwing up his agenda without needing to find another plane to drop on him.

post #276 of 1268 Old 09-29-2010, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

They could be from the future where humans have colonized Mars and they were born there.

That works.

Right. And since they were born there, they're automatically Martian citizens -- therefore aliens.

Didn't realize this show was so politically in tune with current events. Lol
post #277 of 1268 Old 09-29-2010, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

My guess is that they just want to live here on earth peacefully, but the government just held them captive.

Hey wait a minute this sounds very familiar, were have I seen this? yes, it's just live "V" before they came on the big ships yes?

Not even close to V. The aliens in V are not on earth to live peacefully...
post #278 of 1268 Old 09-29-2010, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Alright, well I went ahead and watched the first two. Pretty intriguing. Didn't take long to get aliens involved. They seem to be here out of survival reasons. But for what we've been given so far, "the event" has only been mentioned once. It is clearly not their landing here. So what is its point?

The flashbacks and forths don't bother me. Just gotta pay attention. And I figured that lead agent was going to be one of them. I like it so far well enough to stay with it. (Unlike FlashForward which lost me half way into the 2nd episode.)
post #279 of 1268 Old 09-29-2010, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The problem with the show for me is there are no characters I really care about. For me I need to engage with the characters on some level to really care if they survive. At this point I don't, so I may or may not watch. It may just sit there on my DVR waiting for me to dump it. It's very similar to my feeling for SGU, I didn't like any of the character, in fact I down right hated a number of them, so I quickly deleted that season pass.
post #280 of 1268 Old 09-30-2010, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I saw a commercial for the next episode. "Find out what happened to the plane".

Really? REALLY!?!? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!1! !!!!!!!11!!!!

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #281 of 1268 Old 09-30-2010, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I learned about 5 years ago or so (2nd season of Lost) that promos mean nothing of what we are going to see in the next episode. So +1 to your post.
post #282 of 1268 Old 09-30-2010, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonoughDawg View Post

I liked it, again...the end of the 2nd episode surprised me too.

Quick and to the point. Now lets see if they can keep it going. Aliens? Still think they are humans just evolved.
post #283 of 1268 Old 09-30-2010, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Quick and to the point. Now lets see if they can keep it going. Aliens? Still think they are humans just evolved.

I still think they are humans from an alternate universe. Someone here posted about the reverse E in the title that would allude to it. The fact that they age slowly might just mean the aging gene in them in the alternate universe is one of the different qualities
post #284 of 1268 Old 09-30-2010, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

Pure (double) speculation on my part, but I think the Aliens crashed on Earth & just want to get their ship fixed & then get on their final destination.

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
post #285 of 1268 Old 09-30-2010, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Still haven't watched, but from the comments I am now pretty sure this show is about aliens.

I think I'm going to wait until Thanksgiving or the first extended break and catch up all at once if the series is still compelling.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #286 of 1268 Old 09-30-2010, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I think it would be safer to say the show is about conspiracy at this point, not aliens. That could very well change.
post #287 of 1268 Old 09-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
ok in the first episode during the home intrusion, where the little girl was kidnapped, they showed a woman's hand presumably dead in a pool of blood on the ground.

This woman I assume is the mom (i.e. the pilot's wife).

At the time, I probably wasn't paying attention to the scene very well, but I thought she was the same woman who was the leader of the detainees. Watching the show, this clearly isn't the case.

Am I losing my mind or did the pilot's wife have a striking resemblence to the detainees leader?

I like the show pretty well, just find some of the action scenes cheesy and unbelievable (i.e. guy in SUV chasing down plane, scene with jason ritter on plane with gun, president and secret service sitting and waiting in car for plane to approach, jason ritter escaping from hospital).
post #288 of 1268 Old 09-30-2010, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
my goodness. 1st episode of 'the event' is right now showing on scifi channel. 5pm east coast.
no big surprise, tho, i guess. nbc owns scifi, last i knew.

good to know in case of a missed episode, if i stay with it...
post #289 of 1268 Old 09-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Replace it with all new Stargate Atlantis

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
post #290 of 1268 Old 09-30-2010, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don H View Post

Replace it with all new Stargate Atlantis

Yes, because none of us can watch/record two different things that are on different nights unless your archiving DWTS on Mondays.

Argee
post #291 of 1268 Old 09-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Kib
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I think I'm going to wait until Thanksgiving or the first extended break and catch up all at once if the series is still compelling.

You may want to revise that to say "if the series is still airing" It was down 19% from the first week numbers.
post #292 of 1268 Old 09-30-2010, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb5f View Post

ok in the first episode during the home intrusion, where the little girl was kidnapped, they showed a woman's hand presumably dead in a pool of blood on the ground.

This woman I assume is the mom (i.e. the pilot's wife).

At the time, I probably wasn't paying attention to the scene very well, but I thought she was the same woman who was the leader of the detainees. Watching the show, this clearly isn't the case.

Am I losing my mind or did the pilot's wife have a striking resemblence to the detainees leader?

Actually, I don't think they look alike at all. Also, the dead hand was a woman's, but note that one of the attackers at the house was a woman. It was left to your imagination to decide if the wife, or the female kidnapper, is lying in the blood.
post #293 of 1268 Old 09-30-2010, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kib View Post

You may want to revise that to say "if the series is still airing" It was down 19% from the first week numbers.

Its #'s are worse than Flash Forward's so far. Not a good sign for something that seems far more hyped. A long winter break will kill it for certain.

Quit failing to flip the switch
post #294 of 1268 Old 09-30-2010, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

It was left to your imagination to decide if the wife, or the female kidnapper, is lying in the blood.

The bad guys did say they killed the wife in front of Patterson so I think it's safe to say that the dead woman was his wife.

post #295 of 1268 Old 10-04-2010, 02:58 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

I haven't really read any articles about this show and I don't recall reading it here so I thought I'd post what Blair Underwood said this morning on the Today show. According to him, the show will have three basic segments, pre-event, the event, and post event aftermath. What was more interesting though was that he said the story line is mapped out to run five years, so it does sound like they have a contained story in mind with a specific end point. That sounds like good news to me, at least if it maintains a large enough audience to last that long anyway.

ron
post #296 of 1268 Old 10-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

...he said the story line is mapped out to run five years, so it does sound like they have a contained story in mind with a specific end point.

This sounds suspiciously like the "company line" that the LOST producers always fed us, then it appeared like they pulled the whole ending out of their a$$es.

It is interesting that most of the chatter about this show involves opinions on how they are formatting the show, and not the characters/story.
post #297 of 1268 Old 10-04-2010, 07:17 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

This sounds suspiciously like the "company line" that the LOST producers always fed us, then it appeared like they pulled the whole ending out of their a$$es.

It is interesting that most of the chatter about this show involves opinions on how they are formatting the show, and not the characters/story.

Not sure what you've been pulling out of your ass brother but the LOST producers most certainly didn't pull their show ending out of theirs.

ron
post #298 of 1268 Old 10-04-2010, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Tonight's episode was a big disappointment. Nothing but things seen many times before in different shows...except for all the plane crash victums waking up at the end.

My hope for this show to be an excellent and long lasting one just took a big nosedive.

fafner
post #299 of 1268 Old 10-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I thought tonight's episode was pretty intriguing and suspenseful, and much more entertaining than the first 2 episodes.
post #300 of 1268 Old 10-04-2010, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I liked it -- but it's getting nearly as far-fetched as Persons Unknown already ... like how in da hell does a gunfight break out in FBI HQ and the place is not immediately swarming with agents??? And Our Hero is able to just walk into an insecure FBI network hub/telco room and log in???
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page