'The Event' on NBC HD - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1268 Old 10-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I've been dvr-ing this show and haven't watched it yet but now read that it got picked up for a full season. Don't really want to read everything here so should I watch it? lol. I liked flashfwd but stopped watching when it stopped production and big fringe fan, 24, x-files, etc. Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1268 Old 10-19-2010, 08:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post

I liked flashfwd but stopped watching when it stopped production and big fringe fan, 24, x-files, etc. Just curious.

Expect 24 with less running and not much science fiction and you probably won't be disappointed.

post #453 of 1268 Old 10-20-2010, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhattyBoomBatty View Post

Good catch. I'm not sure how that guy got from the White House to Alaska to wherever Thomas is at and back to the White House all in that short time span.

That was the one thing I picked up on in Monday's episode. I thought the detainees were somewhere out west. I know it was told in the first few episodes, but I do not remember where.

Another thing too. They said Vicky burned down that house 5 years prior. But the boy is older than 5. I have a 6 year-old and he looks and even acted older than my daughter. The again, many shows have babies 10-12 months as newborns.

Good episode. Things are starting to slow down a bit. I hope they don't slow down too much more, then we'll get into Lost territory.
post #454 of 1268 Old 10-20-2010, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
I talked to one of my co-workers who has been watching the show. He said Sophia is being held somewhere in Washington DC. That's why everyone can get there to see here so quickly. She was taken there after the attempted plane crash.

But I do agree that someone should be flagging security that someone is regularly visiting Sophia.
post #455 of 1268 Old 10-20-2010, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltby View Post

So the plan was bring her to a small town in Texas, lock her in the basement, bring a bag of groceries down to the basement, have a bottle of beer fall out of it, clean the mess up but leave a large piece of glass behind, with which she can effect an escape. In the mean time go to the police station and kill everyone there, dress up as them, pick the girl up, bring her to the station, have her call her boyfriend and grab him when he arrives.

Sure, when you put it like that, it does sound kind of ridiculous.

(Like I said, I'm not sure why I feel compelled to defend this show.)
post #456 of 1268 Old 10-20-2010, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 346
As long as we're nitpicking, I've got one:

When the shootout starts in the police station, FBI chick starts heading in. First, however, she has to take out the guy on the roof.

Meanwhile, everything continues inside and boyfriend rescues girlfriend and they head outside. Right on cue, FBI chick comes roaring up in the SUV yelling, "get in!"

Call me silly, but wasn't she heading in when she heard the gun shots, but was only stopped by the guy shooting at her on the roof? What made her suddenly decide she should not help out inside and go get the truck? Was she watching the show to know all was OK in there and when to pull up out front?

I'd be OK with it if she poked her head in (since the shooting had pretty well ended by that point) and yelled out to see if boyfriend was OK. He yells out that he's fine and to get the truck. Instead, it seemed silly that she felt it was better to go get the car from the valet instead of helping out one inexperienced guy with a handgun up against an unknown number of bad guys.
post #457 of 1268 Old 10-20-2010, 09:06 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post

I talked to one of my co-workers who has been watching the show. He said Sophia is being held somewhere in Washington DC. That's why everyone can get there to see here so quickly. She was taken there after the attempted plane crash.

I don't recall whether Sophia is in D.C. or in Alaska, but I do know that when Simon (the undercover alien) visited her, it was in the exact same room as when he visited her previously in Alaska. But, that was probably just the show saving money by using the same set.
post #458 of 1268 Old 10-20-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post

That was the one thing I picked up on in Monday's episode. I thought the detainees were somewhere out west. I know it was told in the first few episodes, but I do not remember where.

i thought they were still being kept in alaska. and sophia maybe in or near D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Call me silly, but wasn't she heading in when she heard the gun shots, but was only stopped by the guy shooting at her on the roof? What made her suddenly decide she should not help out inside and go get the truck? Was she watching the show to know all was OK in there and when to pull up out front?

yeah, i caught that one too.

guess we have to make up our own explanations...
post #459 of 1268 Old 10-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandOG View Post

I have a question for the those of you picking the show apart...if you don't like The Event then why are you still watching it? I'm not trying to be an ass or attack anyone; I'm just unsure why you don't just move on to another show you like more and leave this thread to those of us who enjoy the show.

what else is on at that time on Monday? I think the term irritainment mentioned earlier covers it for me.

The films of De Sica, of Welles, of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger made little money and endure as spiritual delights.
--David Mamet
post #460 of 1268 Old 10-20-2010, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
I have the first 5 episodes piled up in my DVR. Haven't watched any of them yet - I'll take a look at the first two or three soon. Worth it?
post #461 of 1268 Old 10-20-2010, 10:27 AM
AAF
AVS Special Member

I say yes.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #462 of 1268 Old 10-20-2010, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just got around to watching the episode last nite ...

I also caught "the Ship" reference, & wondered how Secret service Guy "seemingly" got to Alaska & back so quickly ... Although when they set Sophia Free it also seemed they got her 'back' to DC too quickly .. So I guess she was already there ..

It was interesting that whoever these 'others' are, they weren't aware of "our" WWII history, or the Manhattan project .. & instead gave us the Bomb earlier that we would have gotten it ...
Also so far there is no trace of their "ship" not even wreckage.. Just fire.
Possibilities:
They Are
1) From some earth future time, & came/escaped back. (Terminator)
2) From some "Fringe"-like Alternate Universe, with an unknown agenda.
3) Escaped Humans decendants, of people originally plucked from earth 100,000 yrs ago by Aliens (Stargate).
4) The Flintstones descendants. (The Jetsons)
post #463 of 1268 Old 10-20-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

When the shootout starts in the police station, FBI chick starts heading in. First, however, she has to take out the guy on the roof.

Meanwhile, everything continues inside and boyfriend rescues girlfriend and they head outside. Right on cue, FBI chick comes roaring up in the SUV yelling, "get in!"

I'd be OK with it if she poked her head in (since the shooting had pretty well ended by that point) and yelled out to see if boyfriend was OK. He yells out that he's fine and to get the truck. Instead, it seemed silly that she felt it was better to go get the car from the valet instead of helping out one inexperienced guy with a handgun up against an unknown number of bad guys.

She probably felt it was more important to get the guy she shot into the truck and turn him in for interogation than help Mr. no experience.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #464 of 1268 Old 10-20-2010, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

She probably felt it was more important to get the guy she shot into the truck and turn him in for interogation than help Mr. no experience.

i almost think at this point ms. f.b.i. will do a little fingernail removing, etc interrogation on him her own self.
post #465 of 1268 Old 10-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

I have the first 5 episodes piled up in my DVR. Haven't watched any of them yet - I'll take a look at the first two or three soon. Worth it?

I did the same thing. I got caught up over the weekend.
I say 'worth it'.
It's also nice to know that NBC gave it a full year order, and (probably) won't pull the rug out from under us during the season.
post #466 of 1268 Old 10-20-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post

It was interesting that whoever these 'others' are, they weren't aware of "our" WWII history, or the Manhattan project .. & instead gave us the Bomb earlier that we would have gotten it ...

What I hate, they made it a point to mention the time (post 1944), and then mention that they brought us nuclear fission decades before we would have discovered it.

Problem is, nuclear fission was discovered many years before, by multiple different scientists.

Unless I mistook something, that kind of bothers me. If he said nuclear fusion, then it would technically be correct - but oh well!
post #467 of 1268 Old 10-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

what else is on at that time on Monday? I think the term irritainment mentioned earlier covers it for me.

So maybe read a book? Surf the net? Do something else other than watch TV?
post #468 of 1268 Old 10-20-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJPC View Post

What I hate, they made it a point to mention the time (post 1944), and then mention that they brought us nuclear fission decades before we would have discovered it.

Problem is, nuclear fission was discovered many years before, by multiple different scientists.

Unless I mistook something, that kind of bothers me. If he said nuclear fusion, then it would technically be correct - but oh well!

I took it to mean a Working Fission product (bomb) .. Not just the abstract nuclear theory already known ...
post #469 of 1268 Old 10-20-2010, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post

I took it to mean a Working Fission product (bomb) .. Not just the abstract nuclear theory already known ...

I have already deleted the episode, but wasn't there a discussion something like: "They are in a time of war, aren't you afraid of what they will use this technology for? "I don't really care."

Translate: "They can use this technology to build a bomb. Aren't you worried about that?"
post #470 of 1268 Old 10-20-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

I have already deleted the episode, but wasn't there a discussion something like: "They are in a time of war, aren't you afraid of what they will use this technology for? "I don't really care."

Translate: "They can use this technology to build a bomb. Aren't you worried about that?"

Yeah, that made it seem like we did not know about fission, or how to use it to build a bomb yet - at all, which, we did. Was still < 1yr away, assuming they crashed in 44, you can't just get a job @ LANL the next day, takes a bit of time.
post #471 of 1268 Old 10-20-2010, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

i almost think at this point ms. f.b.i. will do a little fingernail removing, etc interrogation on him her own self.

She was kind of po-ed about her office buddies getting taken out. She seems to want to go by the book but this ones personal.

post #472 of 1268 Old 10-20-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There's always Monday Night Football. I just watch MNF and DVR The Event.

post #473 of 1268 Old 10-20-2010, 02:59 PM

Since we're all on a roll picking apart the show....

I'm still baffled that the mass shooting in an FBI field office hasn't generated the slightest interest of the President or his staff. In the real world, the President would know about the event within minutes and it would be priority #1.

It shocks me that the President or his staff haven't asked the most compelling question -- if the aliens have the power and technology to teleport a plane across the country and kill people and bring them back to life, why can't they just break their fellow aliens out of the detainment camp? Why do they have to ask for them to be released? [Note that I'm not asking these questions because the aliens have partially revealed the answer to the viewers, but the President should still be asking this question.]

Also, I really enjoy the show and will keep watching because it is entertaining and I want to see what happens next. It's okay to enjoy a show and still pick apart all of the inconsistencies and fallacies in the story.
post #474 of 1268 Old 10-20-2010, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
^^^ Sometimes picking it apart *is* the enjoyment. ;-)
post #475 of 1268 Old 10-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

There's always Monday Night Football. I just watch MNF and DVR The Event.

I am an OTA guy, I get HD for free. Unfortunately, ESPN was allowed to steal MNF from OTA broadcast.

But Comcast had a special on recently, 10 dollars a month for basic cable plus HBO. That seemed more than reasonable. I was in the process of signing up for it when I thought to ask if ESPN was included. Nope. If I wanted ESPN I had to sign up for the $60 package.

The films of De Sica, of Welles, of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger made little money and endure as spiritual delights.
--David Mamet
post #476 of 1268 Old 10-20-2010, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It shocks me that the President or his staff haven't asked the most compelling question -- if the aliens have the power and technology to teleport a plane across the country and kill people and bring them back to life, why can't they just break their fellow aliens out of the detainment camp? Why do they have to ask for them to be released? [Note that I'm not asking these questions because the aliens have partially revealed the answer to the viewers, but the President should still be asking this question.

I think the pres and the Secretary of Defense (is that who that is?) did talk about that. The S.O.D. said something like: "We have no idea the limits of their power." And the pres replied "There must be some limits or they'd have already broken the detainees out."

It was from a couple of episodes ago, not going to dig through hulu for the exact quote. Does this ring a bell for anyone or did I imagine it?

It is an interesting question and I'm looking forward to see how it is answered in the show. Given that the aliens have an inside man, I don't really have any guesses on this one. I hope the answer is cool and not some complete drivel.
post #477 of 1268 Old 10-21-2010, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Didn't they specifically say the virus could of been non-terrestrial (which means not of this earth) and the other guy said something along the lines that well that then points to the prisoners as a source. So didn't they basically confirm that the prisoners are not of this earth?

post #478 of 1268 Old 10-21-2010, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Sofia has clearly been in DC since the events of the first episode. The president has visited her cell several times, the mole on the president's staff has visited her at least once, and at the end of the last episode, the FBI put her on a DC subway train. There may be a lot of continuity problems with the show, but this isn't one of them.
post #479 of 1268 Old 10-21-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Didn't they specifically say the virus could of been non-terrestrial (which means not of this earth) and the other guy said something along the lines that well that then points to the prisoners as a source. So didn't they basically confirm that the prisoners are not of this earth?

No, they confirmed that the government believes the prisoners are not of this Earth.
post #480 of 1268 Old 10-21-2010, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:

No, they confirmed that the government believes the prisoners are not of this Earth.

They have to be, perhaps from a future Earth or an alternate universe as some here have speculated. Their DNA, not to mention their appearance, is too close a match to ours to be extraterrestrial in origin. Since the government has gleaned virtually no information about them in all this time, they really can't say the prisoners are not from this Earth. But they're almost certainly from some Earth.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page