Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1268 Old 09-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Kib
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
With all due respect to show creator Nick Wauters upthread interview (was that the Trib's Mo Ryan?) he may be going into this endeavor with the best intentions and the noblest wish to craft a great tale but at the end of the day, he, as well as "Heroes" Tim Kring or the "FlashForward" production team still have to deal with these little things called 'notes' from floors of network executives with exquisite wardrobes who, in order to keep the swimming pool heated and the Mercedes gassed up, offer sage advise to the creatives (and expect it to be acted upon)

The vast majority of these notes have little to do with advancing the narrative and everything to do with gaining more eyeballs. That's fine, it's their sandbox and it's their prerogative to do so, as it's mine as part of the audience not to be party to that style of media management.

I love a well-told story as much as the next person, I enjoy being whisked away by interesting characters and events. I don't like getting jacked around by some six-figure Wunderkind that has little respect for my time or emotional investment in watching a series.

I'm afraid after what I saw with this evening's "The Event" debut, it's a path I fear I'll once again be disappointed having traveled down.

YMMV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1268 Old 09-20-2010, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Also, the beach shots looked horrible. Really blurry.
post #93 of 1268 Old 09-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Kib
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalist5.1 View Post

Also, the beach shots looked horrible. Really blurry.

Yeah... that too

Seriously, the EFX were not all sunshine and skittles
post #94 of 1268 Old 09-20-2010, 09:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4HDTV View Post

Not liking how they are presenting this. The flashbacks are all over the place. Lost handled flashback scenes much better.

Exactly my thoughts. I'm all for non-linear storytelling but they fractured the scenes far too much in this pilot. I never felt any tension or excitement because the moment they started to establish any they just jerked off to another scene. Up until the end I wasn't particularly interested in all the barely-there threads they tangled together and when the ending happened I instantly thought of the 80's movie Millennium so even that wasn't very exciting.

Whatever The Event is they'll have a hard time living up to the hype. There's probably a 99% chance we'll have seen it before. Time travel, parallel dimensions, The Rapture, aliens .... all easy to insert into the story.

I'll keep watching for a couple of weeks but if they keep the editing as frenetic as it is I don't think I'll be the only person the show annoys into not watching.

post #95 of 1268 Old 09-20-2010, 09:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kib View Post

With all due respect to show creator Nick Wauters upthread interview (was that the Trib's Mo Ryan?)

No it was AOL's Mo Ryan. She left the Tribune last month because she didn't feel the column was being treated with respect.

So instead she went to AOL so her column could be completely ignored by the majority of the internet.

post #96 of 1268 Old 09-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

I thought it was quite interesting. I'll be watching.
post #97 of 1268 Old 09-20-2010, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Amazing show, I am HOOKED.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #98 of 1268 Old 09-20-2010, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kib View Post

Yeah... that too

Seriously, the EFX were not all sunshine and skittles

The bulk of the effects work was the SUV chase in the plane on the runway. There were no real airplanes anywhere in the show. Also, no real helicopters. Obviously, there were other effects, like the plane disappearing at the end. But the majority of the work was in that chase scene.
post #99 of 1268 Old 09-20-2010, 10:35 PM

Well, I liked it alot. Kind of surprised at the negative reactions here, I thought the pilot would be loved by most but the problem was anticipating how slowly the plot would develop in the future. But if you don't like it, you don't like it.

The numerous flashbacks are just a stylistic choice, one becoming more and more popular, you may think it made the episode confusing, but we would be left with the many same unanswered questions if it had been told in a straightforward way. And I don't think rewatching the pilot if it had been constructed differently would make much difference as far as understanding any clues.
post #100 of 1268 Old 09-20-2010, 10:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenithPete View Post

The numerous flashbacks are just a stylistic choice, one becoming more and more popular, you may think it made the episode confusing, but we would be left with the many same unanswered questions if it had been told in a straightforward way. And I don't think rewatching the pilot if it had been constructed differently would make much difference as far as understanding any clues.

Who is talking about clues? The heavy reliance on the fractured presentation didn't have a detrimental effect on clues but on telling an effective story and creating narrative tension.

This episode was like a demo of how to not use flashbacks to tell a story.

post #101 of 1268 Old 09-20-2010, 10:50 PM

I understand, but I just didn't have that reaction. I was glued to my seat and felt plenty of tension throughout. The acting is really first rate as well.

I actually think it was a good example of how to use time shifting without creating major problems in the story line, not something that's easy to do.
post #102 of 1268 Old 09-20-2010, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 365
I enjoyed the pilot episode tonight. And I'm looking forward to next weeks. Zeljko Ivanek always plays a SOB so well. Good to see "The Candyman" too. I hope The Event doesn't burn me like Flash Forward did.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #103 of 1268 Old 09-21-2010, 04:20 AM

I turned the channel at 9:30 halfway through the show and will not watch it again. It took NBC as usual 30 minutes to start with the politics, and i do not have to watch it. Monday Night Football it is.
post #104 of 1268 Old 09-21-2010, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Very, very disjointed, although I understand why. Obviously they were trying to jump-start the show without having to have a few episodes to set the back stories. They get a pass on the first episode, but if we keep seeing "12 months earlier, 8 days earlier, 3 hours after the beginning of 2 and 1/2 days after the 3rd of the previous month, I'm out. I liked the show, in general, and will give it a chance to see what and how it develops. And I liked Flashforward, so there, lol.
post #105 of 1268 Old 09-21-2010, 05:37 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

......I'm all for non-linear storytelling but they fractured the scenes far too much in this pilot. I never felt any tension or excitement because the moment they started to establish any they just jerked off to another scene. ........There's probably a 99% chance we'll have seen it before. Time travel, parallel dimensions, The Rapture, aliens .... all easy to insert into the story.

I'll keep watching for a couple of weeks but if they keep the editing as frenetic as it is I don't think I'll be the only person the show annoys into not watching.

I agree. I never felt any tension or suspense because it was too all over the place.
When the show started and they showed a clock on the screen I was excited, I love show's that has an on-screen clock! Then a plane about to crash, I love show's about crashed plane's!
How could this go wrong with so many compelling elements?!

Then I was ready to give up until I saw the plane disappear, so I'll give it some time to go full on alien/time travel/rapture...wait, rapture? There's a plot twist that doesn't get used enough!
post #106 of 1268 Old 09-21-2010, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Great show, very unique and original.
post #107 of 1268 Old 09-21-2010, 05:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Interesting. At first the numerous flasbacks bothered me but by the halfway point I was fine with it and was able to keep better track of the characters.

I had already planned on watching this show this season so my plan is to keep watching it. Hopefully it gets good enough ratings to continue for multiple seasons. It certainly seems to have potential.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #108 of 1268 Old 09-21-2010, 06:27 AM
Kib
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

The bulk of the effects work was the SUV chase in the plane on the runway. There were no real airplanes anywhere in the show. Also, no real helicopters. Obviously, there were other effects, like the plane disappearing at the end. But the majority of the work was in that chase scene.

Yeah, it showed.

(I don't mean to be rude, if in fact the work came out of your shop)
post #109 of 1268 Old 09-21-2010, 07:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 601
I enjoyed it. The flashbacks weren't so challenging that the average viewer would have trouble following it, and they set up a complicated plotline as well as could be hoped in an hour. I like the characters and am intrigued by the directions they can go. Pilot episodes can be hit or miss; there's a lot of stuff to get crammed in there. I thought FF did a pretty good job of introducing the characters, but the plotline didn't get off the ground quickly enough. This show is trying to do both.

Yes, it's sci-fi. Hot damn! My guess at this early point is we've discovered either alien technology here on earth or the aliens themselves. Some cabal of powerful people has mucked things up and are trying to control it for themselves, either for power or money or both. It's a paradigm shift for mankind if word gets out and those things can go either way. Prudent course is to keep it buttoned up for now. Just like they've been doing out at Area 51. I mean really, how can you blame them? If I was the first Hispanic President (Blair Underwood? Really? Jimmy Smits wasn't available because of that new law show?), I'd want to know too, dadgumit!

Anyway, they've already sold the show in 200 international markets so they're going to give it a good bit of latitude to stick around and develop. The worries:
a) They lose tons of viewers after the first few weeks.
b) Fox's competing time-slot serial 'Lone Star' is chosen by the viewers as their long-form fix instead.
post #110 of 1268 Old 09-21-2010, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I found it interesting enough ... it's got a SciFi flavor so I'll get behind it for now and hopefully it will play out well ... hopefully. I too got a bit confused about when things were happening but the eternal optimist in me is hoping things will settle down a bit. Guessing the main prisoner/detainee is/was the leader of a landing party or colony of aliens or something?
post #111 of 1268 Old 09-21-2010, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor View Post

Guessing the main prisoner/detainee is/was the leader of a landing party or colony of aliens or something?

Or is sympathetic to their cause, enough to be considered a security risk.
post #112 of 1268 Old 09-21-2010, 07:19 AM

Did anyone have alot of audio breakups? I have D* and it was very annoying. Wanted to see if it was NBC or D*.

Gear List!

post #113 of 1268 Old 09-21-2010, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Or is sympathetic to their cause, enough to be considered a security risk.

Yeppir - could be that too....
post #114 of 1268 Old 09-21-2010, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

i thought it was pretty good.. i needed something to fill the void of heroes and this will do... not like heroes filled anything

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
post #115 of 1268 Old 09-21-2010, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I also thought it was pretty good until the last 15 minutes or so which was way too hokey. the whole scene on the plane was portrayed rather silly and unrealistic - once they got the gun from jason ritter, someone would have surely tackled/subdued him. And it seemed like an eternity that Blair Underwood and family were in the SUV just waiting (not driving away??) for the plane to approach.

Also, I'm not sure I like the plane vanishing sci-fi element.

I didn't have a problem with the non-linear element of story telling. of course, 'Memento' is my favorite movie and this is no 'Memento' but putting together a good puzzle is better than mindless viewing (like most action scenes) IMO.

Anyway, I thought the first 45 minutes or so flowed well. Liked the family, cruise stuff, etc. Better premiere than 'FlashForward' in my estimations, I hope that it keeps at least a somewhat realistic vibe.
post #116 of 1268 Old 09-21-2010, 07:45 AM

I wasn't sure I was gonna watch this. I don't like to start in with serialized shows because, if they get cancelled, there's no resolution. Which, to me, means I've wasted hours! And, if it's not cancelled, having to devote years to following this (I only watched the first season of LOST...I quickly realized that was going to be drawn out forever!)

The time-shifting was annoying at first, but I must admit that I was able to follow it and was drawn in by the pilot...enough to give it another 2 or 3 episodes. Then...we'll see. But I'm not going to wait 5 or 6 years to actually see the "event."
post #117 of 1268 Old 09-21-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I was pretty indifferent to it. The acting was good and the dialog was passable. However, the non-linear storytelling did not flow well at all. You either assuming your audience is smart enough to follow along or you don't attempt it in the first place. What you don't do is forge ahead and end up repeating the same elements over and over again just to hammer home at what point everything was happening.

I also really didn't get any sense of suspense throughout the whole episode. What they really botched was the plane approach. They strung the scene along too long and they telegraphed with a big blinking sign that something strange was about to happen with all the wind and the camera shaking. As soon as they started I said to myself, "That plane is either going to stop dead in air or disappear" and I utterly failed to be shocked when one of those two things happened.

The story felt unbalanced. I think we spent way too much time at the resort and too little time touching on other aspects. Only two plot elements were necessary from the resort section (disappearing girlfriend and Sean's connection to the pilot of the plane). Those could have been given to us by other means in the pilot which would have freed up more time to flesh out why we are supposed to care about these prisoners, why everyone is so afraid of them, and why the president trusts them.

The back story of what happened on the cruise seems like something that would be better suited for the second episode to contrast with the extreme situation we found ourselves in during the plot.

I'll give it a few more weeks, but it really needs to tighten up its storytelling. It just feels like the editor is throwing darts at a board right now to determine what plot elements are going to be included in each episode.
post #118 of 1268 Old 09-21-2010, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 353
The problem with this show is the problem with most network scifi shows since Lost hit. They start with the gimmick/scenario first and try to work their way to the characters. The show has promise, but all of those shows had promise as well. It took 30 minutes before their was something interesting that happened. It also took that long before some one was put in a situation that made the audience sympathize with one of the characters in a meaningful way. I will stick around until the end.
post #119 of 1268 Old 09-21-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

It's on again..

Sat night if you missed it

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #120 of 1268 Old 09-21-2010, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote= Then I was ready to give up until I saw the plane disappear, so I'll give it some time to go full on alien/time travel/rapture...wait, rapture? There's a plot twist that doesn't get used enough![/QUOTE]

the rapture?! uh, oh. i hope things aren't gonna get all wingnutty on us...

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page