Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 266 Old 04-11-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
As TeeJay1952 sez, it keeps getting better and better.

P.S. keep an eye out on the little girls in what I remember was the last show of the first season. They changed one of the actresses in mid-show!

Few comics have ever been so bold or painfully honest as Louis. He's up there with Mark Twain and Richard Pryor.

CW Hinkle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 266 Old 04-12-2012, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Ok... I'm confused... So I finished season 1 which was named Lucky Louie, kinda a Sitcom show setup, and ****ing hilarious. Now I'm on sesason 2 which is named Louie and it's more like a reality show of a camera just following him... It's REALLY REALLY ****ing boring, sad, depressing, pathetic, and not really funny... What happened?!?!? This sucks.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #93 of 266 Old 04-12-2012, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe you are talking about two different shows that Louis C.K. did. The second series is rather dark. I didn't like the first show in this series that I watched but I came around.

CW Hinkle
post #94 of 266 Old 04-12-2012, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post

Ok... I'm confused... So I finished season 1 which was named Lucky Louie, kinda a Sitcom show setup, and ****ing hilarious. Now I'm on sesason 2 which is named Louie and it's more like a reality show of a camera just following him... It's REALLY REALLY ****ing boring, sad, depressing, pathetic, and not really funny... What happened?!?!? This sucks.

Lucky Louie was an HBO series over 5 years ago. Louie is the FX series and it's fantastic.
post #95 of 266 Old 04-13-2012, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

:sigh: Not really... I don't laugh nearly as much as I did in the HBO season 1...

post #96 of 266 Old 04-13-2012, 02:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Louie is a great show about LIFE.
post #97 of 266 Old 04-13-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

:sigh: Not really... I don't laugh nearly as much as I did in the HBO season 1...

No offense, but I find it hilarious that you got the two shows mixed up. They definitely are very different from one another. I actually thought Lucky Louie was a very awkward production and never really fit Louis CK's comedy. Louie on FX is the perfect fit for his comedy. Louis CK seems to agree ...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...-louis-ck.html
With "Lucky Louie," you made a straightforward three-camera sitcom, and you made a pilot for CBS ["St. Louie"] that I presume was more or less a traditional situation comedy. How did you come to this structure, mixing shorter and longer pieces with interludes of stand-up?

LCK: I guess through not being good at those other ones. [Laughs.] I think you have to try and fail, because failure gets you closer to what you're good at. I just kept searching for different ways to put stuff together, and with "Louie" I just decided, "Here's all the things I don't like having to do I'm not going to do them this time. I'm going to try anyway; I'm going to see if a show without any of these constrictions works and still has something worth looking at." So far it's working out.
post #98 of 266 Old 04-13-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

You mistakenly think it's a sitcom.
post #99 of 266 Old 04-13-2012, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I found that Season 1 of "Louie" was more comical and funny than Season 2. Season 2 of "Louie" was more about dramatic life experience. Dealing with kids, family, work, relationships, etc.

I don't have any children, wives, or deep relationships so I don't "get" that stuff. I could relate better if I did have children, etc.

You read poster's saying "Louie is 100% right about children." Well, I can't follow because I don't have any kids of my own.

I'm just too young, I'll get there

btw, I'm not hating on Louie. It's a great TV show regardless of dramatic or comical.

Edit: I may be misspoken. I'm sure Season 1 of "Louie" dealt with life experiences as well. I just found it funnier I guess.
post #100 of 266 Old 04-13-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Yup, "Louie" is about life, and life for most people is usually depressing, boring, pathetic, sad and so on. Witnessing this through the life of the character on the show is introspective for most, but the delivery often adds a comedic touch.

One takeaway is that some consider having children to be the only reason worth living. If I remember correctly, there was a line in the show where Louis said that he will kill himself once his children grow up and move out.
post #101 of 266 Old 04-13-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

I found that Season 1 of "Louie" was more comical and funny than Season 2. Season 2 of "Louie" was more about dramatic life experience. Dealing with kids, family, work, relationships, etc.

I don't have any children, wives, or deep relationships so I don't "get" that stuff. I could relate better if I did have children, etc.

You read poster's saying "Louie is 100% right about children." Well, I can't follow because I don't have any kids of my own.

I'm just too young, I'll get there

btw, I'm not hating on Louie. It's a great TV show regardless of dramatic or comical.

Edit: I may be misspoken. I'm sure Season 1 of "Louie" dealt with life experiences as well. I just found it funnier I guess.

I can completely understand your take. I happened to catch Louis CK's "Chewed Up" Showtime special a couple of years ago with a 2 year old at home and one on the way. It really hit the sweet spot for me and I've been a huge fan ever since. Louis CK is definitely not for everyone and his show is unique to say the least.
post #102 of 266 Old 04-13-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Yup, "Louie" is about life, and life for most people is usually depressing, boring, pathetic, sad and so on. Witnessing this through the life of the character on the show is introspective for most, but the delivery often adds a comedic touch.

Indeed, and for me, the comedic moments that make me laugh out loud are the ones where he shows (or talks about during the standup scenes) those little weird or selfish or guilty thoughts that we all have. What makes it funny is the shock of Louie revealing those inner things that most of us hide from others.

Doug
post #103 of 266 Old 04-15-2012, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I need to find a pic of Louis CK with "his stare" and wearing a shirt with WTF?! on it. It would be a great tar.

Pamela Adlon is great, love her.

The Finale was great. Great ending. Can't wait til Season 3 (if there is one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer View Post

Louie is a great show about LIFE.

That's what I gathered by the end of season 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpowers View Post

No offense, but I find it hilarious that you got the two shows mixed up. They definitely are very different from one another. I actually thought Lucky Louie was a very awkward production and never really fit Louis CK's comedy. Louie on FX is the perfect fit for his comedy. Louis CK seems to agree ...

I just didn't get it I guess. I figured it would be different. This wouldn't be the first time I've got a show backwards. Watched Serenity THEN Firefly. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

You mistakenly think it's a sitcom.

Well... like one. Or the same kind of formula. I did like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

I don't have kids and I've know from my own experience in my up bringing to know better. At this point Idiocracy is a great example of how I feel about people having kids. Only the idiots or irrisponsible ones seem to pro create...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

One takeaway is that some consider having children to be the only reason worth living. If I remember correctly, there was a line in the show where Louis said that he will kill himself once his children grow up and move out.

That's sad...

post #104 of 266 Old 04-15-2012, 12:17 PM

Liked: 14
Louie was such a shlub in Season 2, the wife and I really enjoyed it.
post #105 of 266 Old 04-16-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have kids and I've know from my own experience in my up bringing to know better. At this point Idiocracy is a great example of how I feel about people having kids. Only the idiots or irrisponsible ones seem to pro create...

That's a really depressing view of humanity. In my opinion, smart people need to have as many kids as possible so the idiots don't win. I agree, only idiots pro create. Smart people procreate.
post #106 of 266 Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

It is the truth though no? Sadly? I dunno how many people I know that have got divorced shortly AFTER having kids... WTF people... ? Then there are the people that have like 5 kids and are really still kids themselves responsibility wise. There's stupid octo mom... A show my a friend of a friend watches called 16 and Pregnant. It's amazing...

post #107 of 266 Old 04-16-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

It is the truth though no? Sadly? I dunno how many people I know that have got divorced shortly AFTER having kids... WTF people... ? Then there are the people that have like 5 kids and are really still kids themselves responsibility wise. There's stupid octo mom... A show my a friend of a friend watches called 16 and Pregnant. It's amazing...

So, based on a few anecdotal examples you judge all parents. One could just as easily assume, from the evidence you presented, that you only hang around with idiots.
post #108 of 266 Old 04-16-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

lol, Nah just observation. Call it how I see it. Don't get mad at me if you had kids and wished you didn't.

post #109 of 266 Old 04-16-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

lol, Nah just observation. Call it how I see it. Don't get mad at me if you had kids and wished you didn't.

I had kids and it was the greatest thing I ever did.
post #110 of 266 Old 04-16-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, that's cool then. I'm glad. Just seems there are a lot of other people that don't feel the same way. I come from a family that had Japanese on one side and Chinese on the other... yep worst of both worlds...

post #111 of 266 Old 06-28-2012, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Friendly heads up, the season premier is tonight! biggrin.gif

Louie's friends over at the Opie & Anthony show has already seen like 4 episodes or something.

Can't wait. Maybe I'll drink a Black IPA for the premier cool.gif
post #112 of 266 Old 06-28-2012, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Got the DVR ready!

post #113 of 266 Old 06-28-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Great premiere. The analyzing of the parking signs was gold.

As soon as I saw the antsy girlfriend I thought about the girl in the movie "Uncle Buck." I looked it up and sure enough it's her. She's been in some roles since, but I believe this is the first time I've seen her as an adult.
post #114 of 266 Old 06-29-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

So good to have the show back. Louie continues to be up to something new each and every show.

CW Hinkle
post #115 of 266 Old 06-29-2012, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Great premiere. The analyzing of the parking signs was gold.
As soon as I saw the antsy girlfriend I thought about the girl in the movie "Uncle Buck." I looked it up and sure enough it's her. She's been in some roles since, but I believe this is the first time I've seen her as an adult.

Oh interesting! Thanks for the posting.

Good season opener. He portrays such a down type of person with no emotions. Again, I thought Season 1 of "Louie" was more of a laugh out loud type of comedy. Season 2 and 3 seem to be a different, darker, style of comedy.

Loved when his car was getting hammered with the machinery, after his bad luck with the girlfriend. He always has bad luck! eek.gif
post #116 of 266 Old 06-29-2012, 10:54 AM

Liked: 10
so his ex wife is black? and his kids are super white....this totally confused me?
post #117 of 266 Old 06-29-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

The analyzing of the parking signs was gold.

That and the stand up bit were about the only good things. Just like his expressions in the premiere I'm just as puzzled about this show. It's so... "negative" (for the lack of a better word), or like he's on something, or needs to get his head checked.

post #118 of 266 Old 06-29-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger45 View Post

so his ex wife is black? and his kids are super white....this totally confused me?

Louie has stated that he has no devotion to continuity from one episode, or season, to the next. Different actors play his family members and his kids could have been biracial in this episode, but we can't know because they weren't shown.
post #119 of 266 Old 06-29-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
How in the world have I missed out on this show? I had nothing to do last week and decided to watch the pilot episode and was immediately hooked. What a great, dark series. Sort of Curb Your Enthusiasm with an even more nihilistic view of life. I'm not even up to this current season and I'm loving it...

Robert Clark
post #120 of 266 Old 06-30-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe at one point in the show he was talking to the ex and told her the kids were with... someone. I think she was that someone.

CW Hinkle
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page