"Covert Affairs" on USA HD - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 387 Old 07-26-2010, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vfxproducer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,922
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAnetwork View Post

What did you think of Sendhil Ramamurthy addition to the cast?

I was really glad to see him added to the show. He's one of the nicest guys in Hollywood and so it's great to see him working again. He hasn't had enough screen time yet to really know if I like his character on CA or not.
vfxproducer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 387 Old 07-27-2010, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,739
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanSaysYo View Post

With that cynical point of view, you're never going to enjoy any show. Some shows take the easy and predictable road. Others don't. It's too early to tell on this particular show what will happen. My guess is that the you're probably right, but that the execution of the plot will likely be entertaining anyway. Sometimes a show can thrive despite predictability because it does other things well.

Sadly in this day and age the viewpoint you replied to is why we see so much reality TV these days. The networks dont think the viewers have the attention span to stick with a serialized show, and many times they ahve to "dumb down" the actual plot, story so taht people can follow along easily.

Caught up with this show over the weekend, while I agree the backstory of her ex was brought forward a little early, it wasnt really a bad thing to add to the show. I actually prefer to have a show with a background storyline interwoven into each episodes closed bookends. This rewards those who watch the show week to week, but does little damage for those who jump into it late. Personally I prefer serialized shows as I find them more rewarding and interesting to watch.

Ill stick with this show at least for now as it hasnt given me a reason not to. Sendhil Ramamurthy was a nice addition to the show as well .
Ph8te is offline  
post #63 of 387 Old 07-27-2010, 07:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Personally I prefer serialized shows as I find them more rewarding and interesting to watch.

+ 1000. There's a reason serialized shows win all the awards and get all the critical love. They're usually the best stuff the medium can offer. Anyways, I've given this one the boot - too pedestrian and predictable as one would expect from the milquetoast USA Network. Holding out hope for the CW's reinterpretation of Nikita to get my "hot ass-kickin' girl spy" fix. Hopefully, it will be darker and with a greater serialized element. We shall see.
archiguy is offline  
post #64 of 387 Old 07-27-2010, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
Lone Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How about USA hires no more Indian characters and this is coming from someone who is Indian.

Tired of these bollywood wannabe hollywood actors.
Lone Wanderer is offline  
post #65 of 387 Old 07-27-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vfxproducer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,922
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer View Post

How about USA hires no more Indian characters and this is coming from someone who is Indian.

Tired of these bollywood wannabe hollywood actors.

I wouldn't consider Sendhil a "wannabe hollywood actor". He had four seasons as a lead on a network TV show, and was heavily courted during this past pilot season. He's got some serious talent and the studios recognize that. By Hollywood standards, he's made it. He's not a wannabe at all.
vfxproducer is offline  
post #66 of 387 Old 07-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
Lone Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

I wouldn't consider Sendhil a "wannabe hollywood actor". He had four seasons as a lead on a network TV show, and was heavily courted during this past pilot season. He's got some serious talent and the studios recognize that. By Hollywood standards, he's made it. He's not a wannabe at all.

4 seasons on a canceled show then went and made a bolloywood movie in 2010.

A real Success!

lol
Lone Wanderer is offline  
post #67 of 387 Old 07-27-2010, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Matt L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Flushing, MI
Posts: 4,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
What ever.

At this point I'm enjoying the show, I'll go for the ride. It's light summer fun. Nothing more, nothing less.
Matt L is offline  
post #68 of 387 Old 07-28-2010, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Still nothing very interesting to me about this show. The characters are still forgettable and situations are not very high-risk. This week felt like an episode of In Plain Sight without the charisma of Mary or Marshall.

For a covert agent Walker isn't very discrete. Everyone knows her real name and she has no problem revealing details of her personal life to people she just met. While it's fun to see her driving around in a little red VW instead of a blacked-out Tahoe hasn't it been involved in enough enemy contact situations now to make her even more easy to find? Shouldn't she be leaving her personal transportation for personal transportation?

At least they made the secondary agent competent. Usually they are just bullet sponges, but this one actually took down the bad guys.

I've got a couple of more episodes in me. Which is more than I can say for Haven over on Syfy. So this could be worse.


VisionOn is offline  
post #69 of 387 Old 07-28-2010, 01:27 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

+ 1000. There's a reason serialized shows win all the awards and get all the critical love. They're usually the best stuff the medium can offer. Anyways, I've given this one the boot - too pedestrian and predictable as one would expect from the milquetoast USA Network. Holding out hope for the CW's reinterpretation of Nikita to get my "hot ass-kickin' girl spy" fix. Hopefully, it will be darker and with a greater serialized element. We shall see.

After tonight's episode I'm giving it the boot as well for the same reasons. Just more plain white bread from USA Network.
Keenan is offline  
post #70 of 387 Old 07-28-2010, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
spid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 364
No "Felicity" moment this week which was a bonus. The show is good, but the making that guy blind still seems stupid to me. Whoever does the stunt co-ordination on this show should be commended. Doing a good car chase seems to be a lost art now.
spid is offline  
post #71 of 387 Old 07-28-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
IAM4UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: United States
Posts: 6,044
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer View Post

How about USA hires no more Indian characters and this is coming from someone who is Indian.

Tired of these bollywood wannabe hollywood actors.

I don't care what ethnicity actors are...SR can act credibly well, and that's the relevant criterion. Your post makes no sense to me.

----

But, I agree with archiguy about this show, and won't be sticking with it.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
IAM4UK is online now  
post #72 of 387 Old 07-28-2010, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HDMe2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kittrell, NC
Posts: 5,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

The show is good, but the making that guy blind still seems stupid to me.

I wouldn't go that far... but it is part of my quandry and wondering if he is meant to actually be blind.

Since this isn't a based-on-true-events story... every main character in a story needs to have a purpose. To drive the story, there must be some reason for the character to be blind.

Thus far, he could have been blind, not blind, a woman, or any number of other things that would have served the plot equally well... so for him specifically as a main character on the show to be blind has to have some payoff at some point. So either he isn't blind and the payoff will come later OR he is blind and at some point there will be a story where that becomes important.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
HDMe2 is offline  
post #73 of 387 Old 07-28-2010, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

So either he isn't blind and the payoff will come later OR he is blind and at some point there will be a story where that becomes important.

I just think it's a hook. Something to make him stand out from all the other quirky techies on television.

"He's a blind analyst!"


VisionOn is offline  
post #74 of 387 Old 07-28-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,739
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I wouldn't go that far... but it is part of my quandry and wondering if he is meant to actually be blind.

Since this isn't a based-on-true-events story... every main character in a story needs to have a purpose. To drive the story, there must be some reason for the character to be blind.

Thus far, he could have been blind, not blind, a woman, or any number of other things that would have served the plot equally well... so for him specifically as a main character on the show to be blind has to have some payoff at some point. So either he isn't blind and the payoff will come later OR he is blind and at some point there will be a story where that becomes important.

I dont know about Payoff I tend to agree more with the below. His purpose is that he started at the agency with sight and then lost it but is still able to do his work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I just think it's a hook. Something to make him stand out from all the other quirky techies on television.

"He's a blind analyst!"

agreed here, but also it sets him apart (another character overcoming an "roadblock" of sorts). how often do we see blind techies in shows movies? I cant remember any off the top of my head.
Ph8te is offline  
post #75 of 387 Old 07-28-2010, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

agreed here, but also it sets him apart (another character overcoming an "roadblock" of sorts). how often do we see blind techies in shows movies? I cant remember any off the top of my head.

The only one I can think of instantly is the blind computer genius from the enjoyable Redford techno-thriller "Sneakers."

At one point that character drives a van to the rescue. I hope we don't see that on CA.


VisionOn is offline  
post #76 of 387 Old 07-28-2010, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
domino92024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

After tonight's episode I'm giving it the boot as well for the same reasons. Just more plain white bread from USA Network.

At least it gave us another glimpse of Lana Parrilla, she of "Miami Medical" fame.

domino92024 is offline  
post #77 of 387 Old 07-28-2010, 11:13 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Always liked Parrilla, but she doesn't seem to be able to get hooked up with anything that lasts.
Keenan is offline  
post #78 of 387 Old 07-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
Lone Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I guess USA needs an Indian character in every show like Burn Notice, this show, that dumb medical show, ect.

As for this show it's just dry like toothpaste. I tried to give a chance.

Maybe get the director from the Borne movies instead of producer next time.
Lone Wanderer is offline  
post #79 of 387 Old 07-29-2010, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer View Post

I guess USA needs an Indian character in every show like Burn Notice, this show, that dumb medical show, ect.

Burn Notice? What Indian character is there in Burn Notice?

Or In Plain Sight. Or Psych? Or White Collar?


VisionOn is offline  
post #80 of 387 Old 07-29-2010, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
domino92024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer View Post

As for this show it's just dry like toothpaste. I tried to give a chance.

They routinely forget details. Obvious stuff. For example in the last episode, Julia was almost strangled to death. But seconds later, she had absolutely no markings on her neck. People notice that stuff. Cheap production.
domino92024 is offline  
post #81 of 387 Old 07-29-2010, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vfxproducer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,922
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

They routinely forget details. Obvious stuff. For example in the last episode, Julia was almost strangled to death. But seconds later, she had absolutely no markings on her neck. People notice that stuff. Cheap production.

I don't know about this show specifically, but that is pretty routine. It is usually a deliberate choice. They know the audience is more interested in looking at the pretty actress, than being realistic and seeing the big choking bruises on the neck.

It's like all the actresses who fall down into a lake or pool or mud puddle or whatever, and 15 minutes later inexplicably have perfect blow dried hair again.
vfxproducer is offline  
post #82 of 387 Old 07-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
Lone Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Burn Notice? What Indian character is there in Burn Notice?

Or In Plain Sight. Or Psych? Or White Collar?

The woman is half indian. Micheal's GF Fiona.

I guess I hate the typecasting.

lol
Lone Wanderer is offline  
post #83 of 387 Old 07-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
Lone Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
.
Lone Wanderer is offline  
post #84 of 387 Old 07-30-2010, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer View Post

The woman is half indian. Micheal's GF Fiona.

I guess I hate the typecasting.

You mean the well-established English actress who is playing an Irish paramilitary member?

Yeah I can see her rehearsing for a Bollywood movie ... It's so obvious that's the reason she got hired.


VisionOn is offline  
post #85 of 387 Old 07-30-2010, 12:40 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Speaking of that, it's funny how Fiona has completely lost her Irish accent from the very first season.
Keenan is offline  
post #86 of 387 Old 07-30-2010, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Speaking of that, it's funny how Fiona has completely lost her Irish accent from the very first season.

I guess she didn't get the job as the new spokesperson for Lucky Charms.


VisionOn is offline  
post #87 of 387 Old 07-30-2010, 06:33 AM
Senior Member
 
wrighthenry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Clemson, SC
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Speaking of that, it's funny how Fiona has completely lost her Irish accent from the very first season.

Pretty sure I remember Michael making some comment to Fiona about how her accent wasn't strong anymore. May have been last season.
wrighthenry is offline  
post #88 of 387 Old 07-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
Lone Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

You mean the well-established English actress who is playing an Irish paramilitary member?

Yeah I can see her rehearsing for a Bollywood movie ... It's so obvious that's the reason she got hired.


She should since she is a half indian/ half english mutt with bad acting.
Lone Wanderer is offline  
post #89 of 387 Old 07-30-2010, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HDMe2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kittrell, NC
Posts: 5,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Anyone notice how all the good guys on this show are women?



(wondering who will get the joke)

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
HDMe2 is offline  
post #90 of 387 Old 08-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
davcole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love the show and I love Piper.

I bemoaned the loss of my 2 favorite shows (Law and Order, 24), but this might have me believing in television again.
davcole is online now  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off