post #181 of 389 Old 08-13-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Except I don't think Perabo passes for mid-twenties at all. Her legs look every inch the mid-thirties she really is.

You are way pickier then I am, partner. More seriously, Perabo is not heroin chic skinny as many Hollywood actresses are. To me at least, her legs do not appear to be those of an aging woman, far from it, it fact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 389 Old 08-13-2011, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

You are way pickier then I am, partner. More seriously, Perabo is not heroin chic skinny as many Hollywood actresses are. To me at least, her legs do not appear to be those of an aging woman, far from it, it fact.

I didn't view his observation as criticism of Ms Perabo's looks... just that she doesn't look the age of the part she is playing.

No problem with her looks, but like much of hollywood they case people older to play younger roles. IF she was side-by-side with an actual 20-something new CIA agent, she wouldn't look the same age. Nothing wrong with that, but you have to suspend a little disbelief.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #183 of 389 Old 08-13-2011, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 43
She is attractive, but not the reason why I watch the show. I don't watch any show just to see an attractive woman.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #184 of 389 Old 08-13-2011, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I didn't view his observation as criticism of Ms Perabo's looks... just that she doesn't look the age of the part she is playing.

No problem with her looks, but like much of hollywood they case people older to play younger roles. IF she was side-by-side with an actual 20-something new CIA agent, she wouldn't look the same age. Nothing wrong with that, but you have to suspend a little disbelief.

Exactly, she was supposed to be 27 when the show started but put her next to an actual 27 year old actress on screen and the difference will be obvious. In some close-up shots she can pass for a younger woman but her hands and legs (and her arms sometimes) give her away.

Kind of like how on Falling Skies Noah Wyle's son is played by a 25/26 year old and in the final episode they say he's actually 16. Which is just ludicrous based on what he looks like.

post #185 of 389 Old 08-14-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Exactly, she was supposed to be 27 when the show started but put her next to an actual 27 year old actress on screen and the difference will be obvious. In some close-up shots she can pass for a younger woman but her hands and legs (and her arms sometimes) give her away.

Kind of like how on Falling Skies Noah Wyle's son is played by a 25/26 year old and in the final episode they say he's actually 16. Which is just ludicrous based on what he looks like.

I don't see the comparison between a mid-twenties actor playing a teenager and a remarkably beautiful 34 year old actress playing a 27 year old. Some have said the old 34 is the new 24 and in Piper Perabo's cast, I tend to believe it.

I agree with you that casting mid to late 20s actors as 15 and 16 year olds is ridiculous and just doesn't work. That ridiculousness was nowhere more apparent than in Falling Skies. An actor's short stature and baby face aren't enough to make him convincing playing an adolescent.
post #186 of 389 Old 08-15-2011, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I'm not so sure about this. When Sydney lost all her "friends" on Alias, she was left with agency contacts only. I, and others, thought the show had lost a human dimension. I fear the same thing might happen to Covert Affairs. Of course, Will and Francie were better liked than Danielle.

I never watched Alias, but the "human" dimension is done so poorly on this show that is not worth keeping around. There are other ways to show Annie is new to the spy biz without forcing the audience to sit through these family scenes every week.
post #187 of 389 Old 08-15-2011, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 178
It's not that much of a stretch for Piper to play a 27 yo... she doesn't have a baby face any more... but she's certainly not aging poorly by any account.
When you look her up on IMDB- on the right side of the page under "related lists" they're all "most beautiful women..." and Piper's in them all!

gwsat... this one's for you bud: http://www.portwallpaper.com/imgcel/...-Perabo-11.JPG

Casting without regard to age was worse years ago IMO- Stockard Channing was 34 years old when she played a (17 yo?) high school student in 1978's Grease

Michael J. Fox was one month away from being 30 when Back to the Future III was released.... and he was supposedly still in high school.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #188 of 389 Old 08-15-2011, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I prefer the reverse trend like when a 24-25 year old Kim Novak played a 30'ish woman in Hitchcock's Vertigo in 1958.
post #189 of 389 Old 08-15-2011, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile_walt View Post

I prefer the reverse trend like when a 24-25 year old Kim Novak played a 30'ish woman in Hitchcock's Vertigo in 1958.

I'm sure 50 yo James Stewart liked that too

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #190 of 389 Old 08-15-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

gwsat... this one's for you bud: http://www.portwallpaper.com/imgcel/...-Perabo-11.JPG

Wow, thanks a million! Is it fair to say that Piper Perabo is not a bad looking woman?
post #191 of 389 Old 08-15-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Eyes and lips to die for.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #192 of 389 Old 09-15-2011, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 180
TV Notes
USA Makes It a Summer Sweep, Renews 'Royal Pains,' 'Covert Affairs,' 'Necessary Roughness'
By Fred Schruers, TheWrap.com - September 15th, 2011

USA Network announced Thursday that it has renewed "Necessary Roughness," "Royal Pains" and "Covert Affairs," meaning all of the top-rated cable network's summer series have been re-upped.

The new 16-episode orders will activate season three of Covert Affairs, season four of Royal Pains and season two of Necessary Roughness. The renewals, which follow the season orders of White Collar, Suits, In Plain Sight and Burn Notice, were announced today by USA co-presidents Chris McCumber and Jeff Wachtel.

USA's original programming blew through all expectations this summer. We had an unprecedented number of original series on our air -- and every single one of them was great, said McCumber and Wachtel. The actors who make our shows unique aren't just stars, they are character actors in the finest sense. Our writers, directors and producers truly understand what it takes to create sustainable success. It's a rare and wonderful thing to announce the pick-up of our entire summer of programming.

In citing the buoyant numbers for the various pickups, USA noted that Covert Affairs, co-produced by Doug Liman and with Piper Perabo in the lead role as a CIA operative, was the top series on cable Tuesdays this summer among viewers 25-54, total viewers and households, was second only to NBC in all of television on Tuesdays at 10pm in the demo groups of 18-49, 25-54, total viewers and households, beating ABC and CBS in viewers 18-34.

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/us...e-showds-31019
post #193 of 389 Old 09-15-2011, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

TV Notes
USA Makes It a Summer Sweep, Renews 'Royal Pains,' 'Covert Affairs,' 'Necessary Roughness'
...USA noted that Covert Affairs, co-produced by Doug Liman and with Piper Perabo in the lead role as a CIA operative, was the top series on cable Tuesdays this summer among viewers 25-54...

Great news!
Seems we all have good taste here...

post #194 of 389 Old 09-16-2011, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

TV Notes

USA Network announced Thursday that it has renewed "Necessary Roughness," "Royal Pains" and "Covert Affairs," meaning all of the top-rated cable network's summer series have been re-upped.

The new 16-episode orders will activate season three of Covert Affairs, season four of Royal Pains and season two of Necessary Roughness. The renewals, which follow the season orders of White Collar, Suits, In Plain Sight and Burn Notice, were announced today by USA co-presidents Chris McCumber and Jeff Wachtel.

USA's original programming blew through all expectations this summer. We had an unprecedented number of original series on our air -- and every single one of them was great, said McCumber and Wachtel. The actors who make our shows unique aren't just stars, they are character actors in the finest sense. Our writers, directors and producers truly understand what it takes to create sustainable success. It's a rare and wonderful thing to announce the pick-up of our entire summer of programming.

In citing the buoyant numbers for the various pickups, USA noted that Covert Affairs, co-produced by Doug Liman and with Piper Perabo in the lead role as a CIA operative, was the top series on cable Tuesdays this summer among viewers 25-54, total viewers and households, was second only to NBC in all of television on Tuesdays at 10pm in the demo groups of 18-49, 25-54, total viewers and households, beating ABC and CBS in viewers 18-34.

Maybe they can celebrate the success by not making us wait a month to see episodes on Hulu? Is a week or two too much to ask?
post #195 of 389 Old 11-01-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I guess this starts up again tonight...

Family problems drive the season return of USA's entertaining Covert Affairs (10 ET/PT) as Annie's (Piper Perabo) investigation of a suspected Basque terrorist gets layered through sibling conflicts and father/son squabbles.

The episode starts off slowish, and it's a little light on the Augie action, but it does take an interesting turn.

Plus, you'll find few shows that are better or more attractively cast, even on a network where good-looking casts are the standard.
post #196 of 389 Old 11-20-2011, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

The last episode was good. I loved Oded's response when Annie said your sister wouldn't have wanted this. For which he replied, "This is exactly what she would have wanted."

post #197 of 389 Old 11-20-2011, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Since Annie does not carry a firearm why did Annie had to pass the firearms training? It's like having go to medical school in order to not practice medicine.
post #198 of 389 Old 11-21-2011, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I always like when Oded shows up. And thankfully they cut out the sister out and the silly Jay subplot. The show is at its best when it drops that stuff and goes with a simple spy story.
post #199 of 389 Old 12-06-2011, 09:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 172
You know, I can't help myself with this show. It's unbelievable, it's full of "filler" hide and seek/chase sequences that don't work, and the writing is really weak. But, I look forward to it. Piper Perabo sells it. Christopher Gorham sells it. And I love the theme music, cheesy as it is. So, since I don't believe in hiding behind the "guilty pleasure" excuse, I'll just have to admit that I'm shallow. Pretty faces turn my head and inane music sometimes moves me.

Joe Clark

post #200 of 389 Old 12-06-2011, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Augie wasn't entirely accurate on his assessment of Corvettes of that era. While the '67 did represent the pinnacle of the mid-year design ('63-'67), the hp of the '68-'70s continued to rise only to start falling starting w/ '71s. Part of that decrease was due to the change in rating from gross hp to net hp. The rest was due to the ever increasing emission rules.

Also noticed while it was on jack stands, the wheels didn't hang down. Not sure how they accomplished that.

Was the person he was going to Africa to see his girl friend that left for two years? Couldn't remember due to CRS.

All in all, I like the series.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #201 of 389 Old 12-07-2011, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

You know, I can't help myself with this show. It's unbelievable, it's full of "filler" hide and seek/chase sequences that don't work, and the writing is really weak. But, I look forward to it. Piper Perabo sells it. Christopher Gorham sells it. And I love the theme music, cheesy as it is. So, since I don't believe in hiding behind the "guilty pleasure" excuse, I'll just have to admit that I'm shallow. Pretty faces turn my head and inane music sometimes moves me.

Like you, I wonder how it is that a show as silly and poorly written as Covert Affairs could be so entertaining. Then I remember the luminous Piper Perabo and say to myself, "Oh, yeah, she's why I love the thing."
post #202 of 389 Old 12-07-2011, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

It is funny I was watching the same time as a friend, and I said I love this theme song. When the show is about Annie doing spy things it is good. When they try to do anything else the show gets silly. I wish they would cut back on trying to make the show more complex than it should be.
post #203 of 389 Old 12-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Somehow I missed the season finale. I checked on Youtube and it seems all the streaming links are adverts for streaming sites.

Anyone know where I can view season 2 episode 16? On the usa site I have to wait 30 days!

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #204 of 389 Old 12-15-2011, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post

Somehow I missed the season finale. I checked on Youtube and it seems all the streaming links are adverts for streaming sites.

Anyone know where I can view season 2 episode 16? On the usa site I have to wait 30 days!

$1.99 at Amazon.

If you don't want to wait then the only solutions are the usual methods outside of the forum rules.

I wouldn't be surprised if USA doesn't rerun it over the holidays just to fill schedule space.

post #205 of 389 Old 12-18-2011, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

USA has been showing repeats, so you might check their website to see if they are going to show it.

post #206 of 389 Old 07-10-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Season three starts tonight 7/10....

post #207 of 389 Old 07-10-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Is it weird that this is a show I almost NEVER anticipate and think "I can't wait to watch"... and yet, I always enjoy when I do watch it.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #208 of 389 Old 07-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Annie Walker, the spy, certainly grew up since we last saw her.
post #209 of 389 Old 07-11-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
The family has certainly noticed tha tthe language has become more course. frown.gif

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #210 of 389 Old 07-12-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

The family has certainly noticed that the language has become more course. frown.gif
+1
Not necessarily a fan of course language- but it does make the conversations seem a bit more realistic...

At any rate- I liked the fact that the first episode of the new season is a muti-parter.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page