'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD *** WARNING - Spoilers allowed *** - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2249 Old 05-25-2011, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I know they are following the books but man I am going to miss King Robert. Wow, the few scenes he is in are awesome, well acted, and I love the chemistry between Ned and the King. I am also going to miss Ned when he is killed. Sucks, on the show you get way more invested in these characters, only to have them killed off. Sucks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2249 Old 05-25-2011, 07:09 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
I know they are following the books but man I am going to miss King Robert. Wow, the few scenes he is in are awesome, well acted, and I love the chemistry between Ned and the King. I am also going to miss Ned when he is killed. Sucks, on the show you get way more invested in these characters, only to have them killed off. Sucks.
I'm a newcomer to this thread, and although I expected spoilers through episodes that have aired, is it true the whole story is up for discussion, from beginning to end? Because the death of Ned is news to me!

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #273 of 2249 Old 05-25-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ

I'm a newcomer to this thread, and although I expected spoilers through episodes that have aired, is it true the whole story is up for discussion, from beginning to end? Because the death of Ned is news to me!
Yeah, you might want to back out now. Some of us have tried to be more vague or use spoiler tags, but if you're unfamiliar with the books, I'd suggest staying out of this thread. It would be a shame to have Oh Sh!! moments spoiled.

But don't worry about Ned for now, don't forget there have been 4 books
post #274 of 2249 Old 05-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

Sorry you stumbled upon that. The title of the other thread includes "no spoilers or book discussion". That means this thread is for free discussion for the book readers. I'd stay out if I you want to avoid reading about future events.
post #275 of 2249 Old 05-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Oh come on - I don't mind spoilers, but this is too much reveal.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #276 of 2249 Old 05-26-2011, 09:32 AM

Yeah if people are going to post stuff like that there really should be a prominent spoiler warning in the thread title. OH WAIT THERE IS.

There is a different thread for non-spoiler discussion: Game of Thrones on HBO - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion
post #277 of 2249 Old 05-26-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysellers View Post

Yeah if people are going to post stuff like that there really should be a prominent spoiler warning in the thread title. OH WAIT THERE IS.

There is a different thread for non-spoiler discussion: Game of Thrones on HBO - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion

Seriously, we have two threads for this for heaven sake. We are here to discuss the books related to the show, etc. Oh well, to each his own.

post #278 of 2249 Old 05-26-2011, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

I wouldn't get attached to any of the characters. Thats what makes the books stand out from others. In any other book or series Ned is the one who saves the day.
post #279 of 2249 Old 05-26-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 188
This long, convoluted story which spans four (soon to be five) hefty books is impossible to discuss without spoilers. There are things happening now that don't "land" until much later; there are things you learn later that completely change what you think is happening now.

It would be impossible to have a book/series spoiler discussion without revealing shocking incidents from upcoming episodes or even upcoming seasons ("A Storm of Swords" makes "A Game of Thrones" look like"The Lord of the Rings" compared to "The Hobbit", in terms of shock, awe, and complexity.)

If you haven't read the books, I would keep out of here. This ain't your daddy's spoiler thread.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #280 of 2249 Old 05-26-2011, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

This long, convoluted story which spans four (soon to be five) hefty books is impossible to discuss without spoilers. There are things happening now that don't "land" until much later; there are things you learn later that completely change what you think is happening now.

It would be impossible to have a book/series spoiler discussion without revealing shocking incidents from upcoming episodes or even upcoming seasons ("A Storm of Swords" makes "A Game of Thrones" look like"The Lord of the Rings" compared to "The Hobbit", in terms of shock, awe, and complexity.)

If you haven't read the books, I would keep out of here. This ain't your daddy's spoiler thread.

I agree that people that enter this thread should be very wary of information in this thread, but what's up for discussion? Just Game of Thrones, or all of the books? I've read all of the books, but there may be others who have just read the first book.

I still laugh to this day about Fellowship Of The Ring and my friend's wife. She finished the first book before seeing the movie, only to find out that a certain character actually died in the first movie rather than dying in the Two Towers book.
post #281 of 2249 Old 05-27-2011, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI, anyone posting major spoilers should be aware that the first couple lines will show up at the forum level, without opening the thread, for people on smartphones. Please try to account for that when posting.
post #282 of 2249 Old 05-29-2011, 05:07 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

I've seen the show through episode 7. I'd like to start reading the book starting where 7 ends. Knowing I'll miss things, is there a good place to start, or do I need to start at the beginning?

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #283 of 2249 Old 05-29-2011, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Ugh, the first few opening scenes of ep 7 were completely awful. It's like they think they need to spoon feed the non-reading audience. Those scenes ompletely subvert and lessen the impact of later events that should surprise the viewer/reader.
post #284 of 2249 Old 05-29-2011, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Rest of the ep was pretty good, and the Drogo scene was great.
post #285 of 2249 Old 05-29-2011, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 58
So the Lannisters will make a major attack with the half the army put under Jamie's charge?

The Drogo scene where he expresses resolve to conquer Westeros seems a little too pat after the attempt on Dany's life. They set it up earlier in the ep. as him not caring about Westeros and then afterwards, he's all gung-ho for payback.

Not a complex man, is he?
post #286 of 2249 Old 05-30-2011, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I sure hope they come up with another main character quick. Ned is also the best acted role on the set. Seems to me the thing is going to be flapping in the wind after that.
post #287 of 2249 Old 05-30-2011, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

I sure hope they come up with another main character quick. Ned is also the best acted role on the set. Seems to me the thing is going to be flapping in the wind after that.

- There are a lot of characters who haven't been introduced yet and a lot of character development for the existing characters that may yet surprise you.
post #288 of 2249 Old 05-30-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Ugh, the first few opening scenes of ep 7 were completely awful. It's like they think they need to spoon feed the non-reading audience. Those scenes ompletely subvert and lessen the impact of later events that should surprise the viewer/reader.

The Littlefinger scene went on too long and was fairly ridiculous in the sex/monologue juxtaposition - although the director probably justifies it as some kind of artful visual metaphor - but the content of his speech effectively captured a lot of what we know about him at that point in the book. There really wasn't a decent way to get that across to the viewer without the direct exposition. Without it, his betrayal at the end of the episode comes completely out of left field.

Given the later scene where Littlefinger tries to get Ned to back Renly, I think they still kept an element of surprise about the betrayal. At that point in the book, there are pretty serious doubts as to whether Littlefinger is really going to help Ned or not, too.
post #289 of 2249 Old 05-30-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

Trust me when I say that it gets better as it goes on. Ned and the King will be missed as I think they did an excellent job in casting and writing their scenes. The events that just happened really push the story forward.
post #290 of 2249 Old 05-30-2011, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke View Post

Trust me when I say that it gets better as it goes on. Ned and the King will be missed as I think they did an excellent job in casting and writing their scenes. The events that just happened really push the story forward.

- I can't wait to see who they cast as Brienne next season. I think the casting has been superb so far, although Renly is a little more effeminate than the books.
post #291 of 2249 Old 05-30-2011, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Reading the speculation over in the non spoiler thread I cannot wait to hear all the thuds of jaws hitting the floor when a certain thing happens in one of the final three episodes.

Argee
post #292 of 2249 Old 05-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

Reading the speculation over in the non spoiler thread I cannot wait to hear all the thuds of jaws hitting the floor when a certain thing happens in one of the final three episodes.

Which thing? The three big ones that come to mind would involve Ned, Drogo, and Dany. I assume you mean Ned in Baelor's Sept.
post #293 of 2249 Old 05-30-2011, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 97
This is the best show on right now. I have been loving this show so much I borrowed the books from a buddy who has been coming over to watch with me. Finished GOT in a week and 1/3 way through ACOF now. Great stuff, don't know if I can finish them before A Dance With Dragons release but gonna try!
post #294 of 2249 Old 05-30-2011, 11:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
This is a great series, with some caveats.

The sex scenes border on being gratuitis; the lesbian scene in the latest episode most particularly.
It did nothing to advance the story.

The motivations of the characters can sometimes be hard to swallow.
Ned Stark's performance in court politics is cringe-worthy.
He seems too simple-minded or naive to last long in that environment.
He professes nothing is more important than his family, and yet he does things which puts them in absolute jeopardy.
Better character development and smarter writing is needed here.

Where the heck is the "monsters?"
We caught a glimpse in the opening episode.
They are talked about, but nothing is really shown.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #295 of 2249 Old 05-30-2011, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 58
So the fantasy elements have not been really shown, just hinted at, like all the stories about dragon.

It might feel abrupt if they suddenly introduced fantasy and supernatural aspects, kind of like how Lost let the dam burst and let in time travel, alternate universes, afterlife and so on all at once.

Ironically, the showrunner said they won't pull a lost with GoT so we'll see.
post #296 of 2249 Old 05-31-2011, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycruiser View Post

Which thing? The three big ones that come to mind would involve Ned, Drogo, and Dany. I assume you mean Ned in Baelor's Sept.

I was amused by the speculation that Drogo and Dany are almost ready to sail over and join the fray.

Hell, we've been through 4 books and that hasn't happened yet. At the rate HBO is going, it may be 2016 before we see that come to pass.
post #297 of 2249 Old 05-31-2011, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Be prepared to be angry for a LONG time. If the show continues to track with the books, the White Walker subplot doesn't really gel until Book 3 and then goes dormant in Book 4.
post #298 of 2249 Old 05-31-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Ok got the Book on CD, hope I can hold till the end of the season before I start it.
post #299 of 2249 Old 05-31-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

This is a great series, with some caveats.

The sex scenes border on being gratuitis; the lesbian scene in the latest episode most particularly.
It did nothing to advance the story.

It was a tad gratuitis, but in fact was a device for Littlefingers exposition about he and Catelyn's backstory. I thought it was overlong myself.

Quote:
The motivations of the characters can sometimes be hard to swallow.
Ned Stark's performance in court politics is cringe-worthy.
He seems too simple-minded or naive to last long in that environment.
He professes nothing is more important than his family, and yet he does things which puts them in absolute jeopardy.
Better character development and smarter writing is needed here.

I've posted about this numerous times...it's all on Martin. For some reason, he chose to make Ned the only guy in Westeros with no grasp of medieval real-politik. Others find that what happens to him opens up the story and introduces new characters and elements. It does that, but I agree with you. I never liked that he keeps kicking Ned and the Starks in the balls.

Quote:

Nothing the showrunners can do about that either...as noted above. Don't expect resolution to any interesting direction...just more subplots and lots of dead folks...dirty deeds done dirt cheap.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #300 of 2249 Old 05-31-2011, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Dang about the White Walkers.
The producers would be dumb to allude to them in every show and then wait 3 years to get into it.
An excellent way to lose viewers IMO.

I am not sure how long I can take having the main character turn out to be not credible.
Kind of a shame, when so much of the series is excellent.

Hopefully, it won't turn out to be in the same league as Lost.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page