'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD *** WARNING - Spoilers allowed *** - Page 106 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 445Likes

post #3151 of 3298 Old 06-13-2016, 04:40 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 385
The hound and Bron were my highlights. I don't think you can go wrong with hound ever.
bweissman, jazzycat and toomnymods like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3298 Old 06-13-2016, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
The hound and Bron were my highlights. I don't think you can go wrong with hound ever.
Or Bron! I love his character. Also love how he sheaths his knife across his back. I've never seen that anywhere else. Is that a real thing? Because it's a pretty good way to conceal a big knife from someone in front of you.
post #3153 of 3298 Old 06-13-2016, 05:18 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

I've seen it video games, I'm sure they got it from something.
jazzycat likes this.
post #3154 of 3298 Old 06-13-2016, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 263
anyone catch the meaning with the episode ending between arya and faceless guy?

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc800v, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Velodyne HGS 12, VA 1512, Rythmik FV15HP
post #3155 of 3298 Old 06-13-2016, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
anyone catch the meaning with the episode ending between arya and faceless guy?
what do you mean? what wasn't clear about it?

Quit failing to flip the switch
post #3156 of 3298 Old 06-13-2016, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

She has a name, has she completed training? rejecting training? he said a face was needed, but didnt matter who(waif would suffice)...just dont really follow the whole plot with arya I guess.

Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc800v, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Velodyne HGS 12, VA 1512, Rythmik FV15HP
post #3157 of 3298 Old 06-13-2016, 06:03 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

It was kind of contradictory to their training, I thought. I feel like they just wanted to get it out of the way, to get on with her story.

She completed that bit of training, I'm sure there would be more, but she is cancelling her membership. According to show runners, the little smirk at the end was a sign that he may respect her decision.
jazzycat likes this.
post #3158 of 3298 Old 06-13-2016, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It was kind of contradictory to their training, I thought. I feel like they just wanted to get it out of the way, to get on with her story.

She completed that bit of training, I'm sure there would be more, but she is cancelling her membership. According to show runners, the little smirk at the end was a sign that he may respect her decision.

She never was fully into the training, she was always consumed by her obligation for revenge. She used Jaqen for info/training/shelter, and he didn't mind. He owed her his life, and either he'd convert her or, or she'd best him/system/House. Either way, his debt to her would be paid as she'd have a new life (as no one), or she'd have the skills to 'win' in her old life (Arya). To complete the thought, the waif had stopped being noone (she was consumed by envy/hatred of Arya), so it might be assumed she would have eventually quit being an obsequious pet and need to be 'put down' anyways. The two lives owed, (which is all that was required) were paid to the Many Faced God who for all we know, may be actually the power controlling destinies.
toomnymods likes this.

Last edited by OggideM; 06-13-2016 at 07:10 PM.
post #3159 of 3298 Old 06-14-2016, 06:37 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OggideM View Post
She never was fully into the training, she was always consumed by her obligation for revenge. She used Jaqen for info/training/shelter, and he didn't mind. He owed her his life, and either he'd convert her or, or she'd best him/system/House. Either way, his debt to her would be paid as she'd have a new life (as no one), or she'd have the skills to 'win' in her old life (Arya). To complete the thought, the waif had stopped being noone (she was consumed by envy/hatred of Arya), so it might be assumed she would have eventually quit being an obsequious pet and need to be 'put down' anyways. The two lives owed, (which is all that was required) were paid to the Many Faced God who for all we know, may be actually the power controlling destinies.
I get that, but it doesn't explain how she is no one after just defending herself from an uppity beech. Still find that contradictory to all the previous training.
post #3160 of 3298 Old 06-14-2016, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked: 1602
Quote:
I get that, but it doesn't explain how she is no one after just defending herself from an uppity beech. Still find that contradictory to all the previous training.
I don't believe that Arya ever intended to really be "no one," which was why she hid and later retrieved her sword, Needle. That became clear when she finally told Jaqen H'ghar that she was still Arya Stark of Winterfell, at which point Jaqen smiled in approval. I guess this means that Arya is cool with the many faced god.
jazzycat likes this.
post #3161 of 3298 Old 06-14-2016, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I don't believe that Arya ever intended to really be "no one," which was why she hid and later retrieved her sword, Needle. That became clear when she finally told Jaqen H'ghar that she was still Arya Stark of Winterfell, at which point Jaqen smiled in approval. I guess this means that Arya is cool with the many faced god.

I think Arya originally intended to become 'no one' but as her training progressed she realized that this wasn't for her and she wanted to remain true to herself
toomnymods likes this.
post #3162 of 3298 Old 06-14-2016, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I honestly think this is what he intended all along with Arya. I think he always knew she was to strong willed to become no one. I think he intended to train her to become what she always wanted to be, a strong fighter and women. He did not seem at all surprised or angry and in fact seem to give an approving smirk at the end of it all.

Hoping for a Arya, Sansa, John and Bran reunion by the end of the finale. That would be long over due and a great way to set up next season.
OggideM and jazzycat like this.

Mark-
post #3163 of 3298 Old 06-14-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post
Hoping for a Arya, Sansa, John and Bran reunion by the end of the finale. That would be long over due and a great way to set up next season.

that's a lot to ask for ...I think the final shot of the Season 6 finale will be the Night's King and his army breaching the Wall or a wide shot of Daenerys and her massive army of dragons, Dothraki, Unsullied and Greyjoy fleet headed to Westeros
jazzycat and toomnymods like this.
post #3164 of 3298 Old 06-14-2016, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Jaqen may have never intended Arya to be no one and it may have been a test/training ground for her. The problem is that we didn't really see much of the training or at least we aren't aware of how well trained she is. All we know is that the Waif continually kicked her butt until she was able to fix the environment in her favor.

Edit: Missed your post above Marjen which said the same thing.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.

Last edited by daryl zero; 06-14-2016 at 01:08 PM.
post #3165 of 3298 Old 06-14-2016, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 529
If this season ends with Dany magically getting her 1000 ships (from Euron or the slave masters etc) giving yet another of her speeches and everyone bowing down, it'll have truly jumped the shark. I'm not even sure she'll be heading for Westeros.

What has Arya learnt really? Even before she came to Bravoos, she was strong, she'd learnt how to be self sufficient, to take revenge and to kill. She learnt all that because she's been through a lot - Haarenhall, time spent with Hound etc.

She has no magic from the Faceless Men, the only new skill she has is some awareness in the dark, it won't do her much good against men in the daylight. The 2 seasons she spent in Braavos were pointless and more importantly the whole story arc with the FM and their magical nature was wasted.
post #3166 of 3298 Old 06-14-2016, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
If this season ends with Dany magically getting her 1000 ships (from Euron or the slave masters etc) giving yet another of her speeches and everyone bowing down, it'll have truly jumped the shark. I'm not even sure she'll be heading for Westeros.

What has Arya learnt really? Even before she came to Bravoos, she was strong, she'd learnt how to be self sufficient, to take revenge and to kill. She learnt all that because she's been through a lot - Haarenhall, time spent with Hound etc.

She has no magic from the Faceless Men, the only new skill she has is some awareness in the dark, it won't do her much good against men in the daylight. The 2 seasons she spent in Braavos were pointless and more importantly the whole story arc with the FM and their magical nature was wasted.

that's a stretch if I've ever seen one.

post #3167 of 3298 Old 06-14-2016, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I honestly think this is what he intended all along with Arya. I think he always knew she was to strong willed to become no one. I think he intended to train her to become what she always wanted to be, a strong fighter and women. He did not seem at all surprised or angry and in fact seem to give an approving smirk at the end of it all.

so you think Rickon bites it?

and once we're through the reclamation of Winterfell, I see Jon assuming is real identity; whatever reunion may be very short lived.

post #3168 of 3298 Old 06-14-2016, 12:45 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I get Arya's side. My contention is with Jaqen saying "yep, you're all good with the black and white." She is clearly not taking to this "no one" business, but he's accepting her.
post #3169 of 3298 Old 06-14-2016, 12:47 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OggideM View Post
so you think Rickon bites it?
Would anyone care?

Quote:
That's a good point I hadn't considered.

Last edited by Yrd; 06-14-2016 at 12:51 PM.
post #3170 of 3298 Old 06-14-2016, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Would anyone care?

That's a good point I hadn't considered.

that's 99% the same thing I posted earlier and you were objecting to not making sense.

smh.

no time to bother more with this.

post #3171 of 3298 Old 06-14-2016, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

The books go into a lot more detail about Arya's training. Her time with the House of B&W has been very productive even though it may not seem like it. She's learned stealth and deception and she's become very good at it. She's learned how to become someone else completely--how to create a whole backstory and then become that, and make everyone else believe it. She's probably learned about poisons and different ways to kill, and how to make it look like an accidental or natural death. She's learned the value of patience and how to care for the dead. And she's learned how to use someone else's face. She's also become a much better fighter, and learned to rely on all her senses and not just her sight. Remember in the Karate Kid, all that "wax on, wax off" stuff had a purpose.

Dany is one of my favorite characters, but before she heads to Westeros she needs to get Mereen under control. In the (3rd, I think, or 4th) season when she decided to stay there, she said she needed to learn how to rule, because how could she expect to rule the 7 kingdoms if she couldn't even rule one city? Every city she's conquered is worse off than it was before. It's one thing to conquer, it's something else to rule and maintain control. And it's something else again to keep a kingdom prosperous and safe and happy (or at least content).
post #3172 of 3298 Old 06-14-2016, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought the show was ahead of the books in terms of Arya's training...I thought the part where she meets the theater group is not even in the books yet but was one of GRRM's preview Chapters from Winds of Winter...isn't the last Arya section from the books the part where she goes blind?
post #3173 of 3298 Old 06-14-2016, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I thought the show was ahead of the books in terms of Arya's training...I thought the part where she meets the theater group is not even in the books yet but was one of GRRM's preview Chapters from Winds of Winter...isn't the last Arya section from the books the part where she goes blind?
No. She had just gotten her sight back.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.

Last edited by daryl zero; 06-14-2016 at 03:52 PM.
post #3174 of 3298 Old 06-14-2016, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 335
In terms of the TV show, Arya was in Bravos for about 2 full seasons?

How long was she in Bravos in the books?

Maybe the value of going to Bravos was that she physically matured more, presumably got bigger and stronger. Of course maybe the training may have toughened her mentally too.

The other thing was, she was pretty much on the run IIRC. Esseros was not safe for the Starks. It's still not safe for them but it's less dangerous than it was when she left for Bravos.

So she stayed safe for a couple of years and got to grow up.
OggideM likes this.
post #3175 of 3298 Old 06-14-2016, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

can anyone prdict the winner of GOT? I am thinking none of the dragon riders can win cause 3 riders and only 1 throne. same with stark family, too many, can be only one? is there any possibility for 1 winner of the throne?

post #3176 of 3298 Old 06-14-2016, 09:30 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:
can anyone prdict the winner of GOT? I am thinking none of the dragon riders can win cause 3 riders and only 1 throne. same with stark family, too many, can be only one? is there any possibility for 1 winner of the throne?
The night king.
post #3177 of 3298 Old 06-14-2016, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
In terms of the TV show, Arya was in Bravos for about 2 full seasons?

How long was she in Bravos in the books?
Arya is still in Bravos at the end of the last book. Dany is still sorta in Mereen (in the desert after riding on Drogon and just found by the Dothraki). Jon Snow is still at the Wall though bleeding out. Sansa is with Littlefinger just leaving the Vale. Bran is still with the 3EyedRaven. Rickon is still missing. Tyrion isn't in Mereen yet. So can't answer your questions in terms of the books because everyone has been stuck for about 2 books.
jazzycat likes this.

post #3178 of 3298 Old 06-15-2016, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
GRRM has said:
"I think you need to have some hope, we all yearn for happy endings in a sense. Myself, I’m attracted to the bittersweet ending. People ask me how Game of Thrones is gonna end, and I’m not gonna tell them … but I always say to expect something bittersweet in the end, like [J.R.R. Tolkien]. I think Tolkien did this brilliantly. I didn’t understand that when I was a kid — when I read Return of the King."

Like LOTR i think it will be a good ending but a heavy price paid along the way obviously.
jazzycat likes this.

post #3179 of 3298 Old 06-15-2016, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

GRRM is anything but predictable so whatever theories are floating out on the internet are probably wrong...David Benioff and Dan Weiss recently stated that when GRRM gave them his outline for the rest of the books there were 3 major surprises- one was Shireen's death, the second was the Hodor 'hold the door' reveal and the final one is for the very end of the show...I've always thought that the end-game for the books/show was going to be Daenerys going mad like her father before her and the true end game would be everybody joining forces to stop her...she's way too powerful with an army of Unsullied, Dothraki, 3 dragons and a fleet of Greyjoy ships...I always thought that the White Walkers and Night's King would be defeated in Winds of Winter (the book) and the final book would be dedicated to defeating Dany

as for who will sit on the Iron Throne in the end?...I have no idea but I don't see it being anyone predictable like Jon Snow, Daenerys, Tyrion etc
torii likes this.
post #3180 of 3298 Old 06-15-2016, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 335
As the series has gone on, who sits on the throne is becoming more and more irrelevant.

Early on, it was unthinkable that Joffrey would ascend the throne but his reign was short-lived.

Now, Tommen sits on the throne but KL seems pretty irrelevant compared to what's going on in Mereen, Winterfell and north of the Wall.

The Lannisters barely control KL and that's only in name only, unless they find a way to defeat the true believers.

Even if one of the current characters end up on the throne, who's to say how much power they will have. There will probably always be contenders. It doesn't sound like there's been a king who's reigned for decades, at least not in a long time.
jazzycat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page