'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD *** WARNING - Spoilers allowed *** - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2249 Old 06-14-2011, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yep, final episode of the season I believe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2249 Old 06-14-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Crap! I could watch this show all day long, it is simply awesome, every time an episode is over I always get upset. I don't want it to end.

post #363 of 2249 Old 06-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Great episode on Sunday, really wanted to see Jaime's and Robb's battle though...
post #364 of 2249 Old 06-14-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Grey Wind should have been shown with Robb at the end, with a blood matted muzzle.
post #365 of 2249 Old 06-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Very true. I wish they would show how much of a badass Jaime is. They are downplaying him too much.
post #366 of 2249 Old 06-14-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Did the people in Winterfell knew that Ned's guards had been massacred, including Jory or some name like that?

So was there a payback factor?
post #367 of 2249 Old 06-14-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Did the people in Winterfell knew that Ned's guards had been massacred, including Jory or some name like that?

So was there a payback factor?

Yes, they knew Ned was hurt (Jory and others killed then) and later imprisoned, but payback factor in what?
post #368 of 2249 Old 06-14-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke View Post

You see (read) the battle from Tyronians point of view. The battle of whispering woods you hear it as it takes place at night from Cats POV. I prefer that they skipped the battles over doing something like Camelot.

Having not seen Camelot, I assume the battles come off looking cheap or have bad CGI? In that case, I also would prefer they be skipped. BUT I think they screwed up by not giving any sense of the importance of the Whispering Woods battle to the war. Did they even mention Riverrun was besieged?

I didn't mind the Tyrion/Bronn/Shae drinking game, but it was long and they could've cut a minute or two of that to give some exposition to between Cat & Rodrick about the strategic purpose of the battle, or given us an earlier scene with Robb planning the battle in his tent. Neither of those would've impacted costs.

Robb was a bit too stoic. Dude needs to revel in his victories a bit more, it'll help keep up moral among the troops. Lord knows they'll need it soon enough.
post #369 of 2249 Old 06-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdr25 View Post

Having not seen Camelot, I assume the battles come off looking cheap or have bad CGI? In that case, I also would prefer they be skipped. BUT I think they screwed up by not giving any sense of the importance of the Whispering Woods battle to the war. Did they even mention Riverrun was besieged?

I didn't mind the Tyrion/Bronn/Shae drinking game, but it was long and they could've cut a minute or two of that to give some exposition to between Cat & Rodrick about the strategic purpose of the battle, or given us an earlier scene with Robb planning the battle in his tent. Neither of those would've impacted costs.

Robb was a bit too stoic. Dude needs to revel in his victories a bit more, it'll help keep up moral among the troops. Lord knows they'll need it soon enough.

I agree about the drinking game scene and how they needed a little more insight into the battle of whispering woods. As far as Robb being too stoic, he needs to get laid. Which he does. Soon.
post #370 of 2249 Old 06-14-2011, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

The battle was a joke...started out with Arthur and about 6 of his guys arriving to break a seige of a very real, but broken down castle or old hill fort. The beseigers were about 20 guys. After a bit, the 20 guys charge and get repelled after killing a good guy and wounding Art's brother. Good guys decide to retreat, but Art stays on to fight alone and give them time to escape. Bad guys wait for reinforcements since they are down to 10. Art sets more traps. Another 10 guys show up, so they start sending a couple at a time which Art picks off. Then they all charge through the wall thats got more holes in it than swiss cheese. Art kills a bunch by being sneaky, then gets knocked over. His 5 guys come back and save the day. That represents the production values of Camelot. No CGI, just no budget either, stupid plots and not very engaging actors. The show is a turd.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #371 of 2249 Old 06-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I just realized we have one episode left this season and they've managed to cut Thoros of Myr and Roose Bolton from GOT. Nooooooooooooo! Oh well, Thoros is kind of a B character but since they already showed Dondarrion (sp) they should have thrown him in as a cameo also. As for Bolton, him joining with Robb, GreatJon, etc. is a big deal when you think of the role he plays later in the series. He needed to be introduced.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #372 of 2249 Old 06-14-2011, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post

I just realized we have one episode left this season and they've managed to cut Thoros of Myr and Roose Bolton from GOT. Nooooooooooooo! Oh well, Thoros is kind of a B character but since they already showed Dondarrion (sp) they should have thrown him in as a cameo also. As for Bolton, him joining with Robb, GreatJon, etc. is a big deal when you think of the role he plays later in the series. He needed to be introduced.

- Even if they are not introduced in Season 1, I'm sure they'll find a way to introduce them. Look how much time Rickon, Tommen and Myrcella have had. They're going to play very important roles later in the series.
post #373 of 2249 Old 06-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have a hunch. I am putting it in tags, as it is from the 3rd book and I don't want to ruin anything for those reading along with the show.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I am about 200 pages into A Storm of Swords. I just finished the chapters where Dany bought the Unsullied. My hunch has to do with the identity of Arstan, the old squire. Is it Barristan the Bold? I don't want to google and ruin anything, so a simple yes/no would be great, just to settle my curiosity
post #374 of 2249 Old 06-14-2011, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Roose not being in season 1 is no problem. Assuming they don't introduce him in the Season finale (and what point would that serve?), they can easily throw him and Rickard Karstark into a scene in S02E01 where Robb is war planning with Theon and the Greatjon. A few simple lines of exposition from Robb can explain who they are and why they matter.

Ron, thanks for the rundown of Camelot. Kinda makes me want to watch it for the lulz.
post #375 of 2249 Old 06-14-2011, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Rustycruiser: Yes. Nice pickup.
post #376 of 2249 Old 06-14-2011, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Rustycruiser: Yes. Nice pickup.

- That's a lot faster than when I realized who it was.

I can't wait for Dance With Dragons in a month!
post #377 of 2249 Old 06-15-2011, 04:56 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member

I have not read the books, but understand that the flow is different, focusing on one character in a chapter.

Knowing this, I would like to start reading the books, trying to pick up, as best I can, where the show ends it's season.

Can someone give me a rough estimate on where to start? (knowing I will be missing a lot covered in the book, but not the show.) Any help would be greatl9y appreciated.

thank you

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #378 of 2249 Old 06-15-2011, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Who was the guy who shielded Arya from seeing Ned's decapitation?

Is Joffrey growing up or still being the little vindictive prick -- how can Sansa ever forgive him for trying to cut down her little sister until the wolf came to rescue?

It could be a sign of him growing up, defying his mother. But he looked ridiculous with that crown on. Or was he playing to the crowd by giving them the show that it had come to see?
post #379 of 2249 Old 06-15-2011, 05:15 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

I have not read the books, but understand that the flow is different, focusing on one character in a chapter.

Knowing this, I would like to start reading the books, trying to pick up, as best I can, where the show ends it's season.

Can someone give me a rough estimate on where to start? (knowing I will be missing a lot covered in the book, but not the show.) Any help would be greatl9y appreciated.

Season 1 mirrors the first book start to finish. If you only read the first book, nothing for Season 2 should be spoiled for you.

I say should because I'm not sure if they will need to bleed some items from Book 2 into the finale to keep continuity.

At this point, no one has said if Season 2 will mirror Book 2 or if they will need to start using multiple seasons per book.
post #380 of 2249 Old 06-15-2011, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Who was the guy who shielded Arya from seeing Ned's decapitation?

It was the guy from the Night's Watch (forget his name off the top of my head) who'd come to King's Landing looking for recruits.

David Forbes

Read excerpts, see cover art and more from my novels at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #381 of 2249 Old 06-15-2011, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post

It was the guy from the Night's Watch (forget his name off the top of my head) who'd come to King's Landing looking for recruits.

Yoren
post #382 of 2249 Old 06-15-2011, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

He should be taking her out of Kings Landing and out to Winterfell then. Or at least towards the Starks army.

Interesting that Kat asks Robb if he consents to marry one of the daughters but agrees to marry off Arya. She's younger and maybe the fact of her gender doesn't give her much leeway?

I can see children of these lords being raised to honor the duty to their family, which may require them to marry a scion or daughter of another powerful family. After all, that's how most aristocratic marriages were in history.

But it seems the Starks let Arya be something of a tomboy and have a more independent personality. Well even Sansa does and she thinks she really is attracted to Joffrey -- independence doesn't guarantee wisdom.

Some time down the line, I'm guessing Arya will revolt at the arranged marriage -- she won't take one for the team like Dany, though in her case, she seems to have connected to Drago.
post #383 of 2249 Old 06-15-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:

Interesting that Kat asks Robb if he consents to marry one of the daughters but agrees to marry off Arya. She's younger and maybe the fact of her gender doesn't give her much leeway?

It is very much a gender issue. Women in the GoT universe do not get much respect by default. They are used as pawns in order to manipulate the political landscape. The stories of Cersei, Daenarys, Cat, Arya, and Sansa are all used to either illustrate or buck this state of affairs...depending on which woman's POV you're looking at.

Life doesn't get better for Sansa, especially....
post #384 of 2249 Old 06-15-2011, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

That is true, rflor. But also, Robb is acting Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North. Since Cat presented the terms in front of his bannermen, she doesn't want to risk undermining his authority by not allowing him to make the decision. (Or at least giving the appearance that he's the one making the decision.)

In the books, Cat is extremely sensitive to doing anything that will make Robb appear weak. Being bossed around by one's mother in the war tent would fall into that category (although that is yet another example of the roll of women in Westeros). Oaths only go so far in keeping the underlings in line, the projection of power and having the confidence/respect of your men is more important. Robb, with Greywind's help, had to prove himself against the Greatjon, for example.
post #385 of 2249 Old 06-15-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, Joffrey killing Ned and then still planning to marry Sansa. That's either a boneheaded move or he's more of a pimp than he looks -- I'm going to kill your old man and still make you love me.
post #386 of 2249 Old 06-15-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

thank you

Near the end

Its tough to tell you because each chapter is POV of a character. I read the books years ago and the series gave me a yearniing to reread them. I can't put them down. I was right at the eight episode when reading the book at that point. Some of the stuff happened in the prior and some in the later episodes. Just read the whole book, you won't be sorry.
post #387 of 2249 Old 06-15-2011, 12:51 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Near the end

Its tough to tell you because each chapter is POV of a character. I read the books years ago and the series gave me a yearniing to reread them. I can't put them down. I was right at the eight episode when reading the book at that point. Some of the stuff happened in the prior and some in the later episodes. Just read the whole book, you won't be sorry.

Thanks everyone!

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #388 of 2249 Old 06-15-2011, 02:30 PM

What I still didn't get was when Robb let go the spy that they found in the camp. I took it as it was a deception - that Tywin would believe that he would fight him straight on. But in the book there is a similar situation that was meant to show that Robb was losing some of the fighting cohesion.
post #389 of 2249 Old 06-15-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What I still didn't get was when Robb let go the spy that they found in the camp. I took it as it was a deception - that Tywin would believe that he would fight him straight on. But in the book there is a similar situation that was meant to show that Robb was losing some of the fighting cohesion.

They didn't have time for all that, I guess. The important thing was Robb split off part of his force and tricked Tywin, this was just the quickest way they could get that through.
post #390 of 2249 Old 06-16-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycruiser View Post

Shae is nothing like she was in the books

I think she's better. That simpering "my lion of Lannister" girl from the books would have gotten old, fast. And without Tyrion's rose-colored POV to see her through, her motives would have become obvious very quickly.

By making her older and smarter and someone who can have a real conversation with Tyrion, the storyline will play out much better on the screen, IMO.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page