'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD *** WARNING - Spoilers allowed *** - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2249 Old 07-08-2011, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I respectfully request that any and all DwD spoilers be tagged until I finish the new book.

Oh, forget it. I'll just stay off the internets for a couple weeks starting Tuesday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2249 Old 07-08-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 174
(EW.com) -- Another role has been filled on HBO's "Game of Thrones!"

Actress Gwendoline Christie has been cast in the pivotal part of Brienne, announced Thrones author George R.R. Martin onhis blog.

Brienne isn't physically a very flattering character in the books, described as a large and piggish-looking woman with an awkward personality who's mocked as "Brienne the Beauty." But her character, who serves the late king's brother Renly, is a fan favorite.

Brienne is as tough and skilled with a sword as most men and longs for knighthood despite her gender. Christie is a relatively unknown actress who was in "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" and joins former "Tudors" star Natalie Dormer who was added to the "Thrones" season 2 cast a couple weeks back.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/cele...tml?hpt=hp_bn5

post #453 of 2249 Old 07-08-2011, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 59
[Homer]Mmmm, Natalie Dormer.[/Homer]

So is Brienne going to be a role model for Arya or something?
post #454 of 2249 Old 07-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Christie strikes me as too attractive for Brienne. I always saw her as very large and downright ugly.
post #455 of 2249 Old 07-08-2011, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandOG View Post

Christie strikes me as too attractive for Brienne. I always saw her as very large and downright ugly.

The few pics I saw of her were in a skinny period. There's a music video out there where she'd put on some heft and her face filled out into plain jane. Put a little mustard on her and she'll shine up just fine as a large, awkward, 3.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #456 of 2249 Old 07-08-2011, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:

Well, Peter Dinklage is actually considerably more handsome than Tyrion is described in the books. It still works.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #457 of 2249 Old 07-20-2011, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

'Camelot' vet joins 'Game of Thrones' cast
by James Hibberd

Thrones has been filled: Irish actor Liam Cunningham has landed the part of Davos for the show's second season.

Cunningham has appeared in many productions over the years, including Starz' now defunct Camelot, the recent Clash of the Titans remake and The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor.

A fan favorite from George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire novels, Davos Seaworth is a family man and former smuggler. He earned the nickname The Onion Knight after successfully getting food into Stannis Baratheon's besieged castle during the war that put Robert Baratheon on the Iron Throne. The authoritarian Stannis gave Davos a knighthood for his actions but also shortened some of his fingers for his criminal past. In season two, Stannis enlists Davos to help him seize the Iron Throne from King Joffrey.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/19/li...ningham-davos/

post #458 of 2249 Old 07-20-2011, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

'Game of Thrones' casts sorceress Melisandre and Stannis Baratheon -- EXCLUSIVE
by James Hibberd

Huge Game of Thrones casting news! Producers have filled the two biggest new roles of the show's second season a mysterious sorceress and a powerful contender for the Iron Throne.

These two major roles are paired together in the story: Melisandre is powerful woman who counsels the late King Robert's eldest younger brother, Stannis Baratheon, in his quest to claim the Iron Throne. She's described as a seductive force possessing prophetic powers who's willing to impose her religion on the world by any means necessary. Stannis, meanwhile, believes himself to be the Iron Throne's rightful heir and is described as humorless and authoritative, with a strict moral code (his younger brother Renly, who also wants to be king, memorably described Stannis in the first season as having the personality of a lobster). But Stannis is gradually succumbing to the power of his newfound religion.

Melisandre will be played by Carice van Houten, a Dutch stage and film actress. She's appeared in the movies Valkyrie and Repo Men. I think you'll agree she looks just about perfect for Melisandre.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/19/stannis-melisandre/

post #459 of 2249 Old 07-20-2011, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

'Tudors' star joins 'Game of Thrones' cast -- EXCLUSIVE
HBO's Game of Thrones has made its first casting hire for season 2:

Natalie Dormer, who memorably played the seductive and doomed Anne Boleyn on Showtime's The Tudors, has been added to the fantasy drama's regular cast.

Dormer will play Margaery Tyrell, a (minor spoiler alert) beautiful and shrewd young woman from the influential House Tyrell. She's pledged to marry the late King Robert's brother, Renly Baratheon, as part of House Tyrell's support for his bid to seize the Iron Throne from King Joffrey.

In addition to The Tudors (where, appropriately enough for joining the decapitation-filled Thrones, her character was beheaded) Dormer is also appearing in the upcoming Captain America.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/06/23/ga...rones-casting/

post #460 of 2249 Old 07-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
'Game of Thrones' casts sorceress Melisandre and Stannis Baratheon -- EXCLUSIVE
by James Hibberd

Huge Game of Thrones casting news! Producers have filled the two biggest new roles of the show’s second season — a mysterious sorceress and a powerful contender for the Iron Throne.

These two major roles are paired together in the story: Melisandre is powerful woman who counsels the late King Robert’s eldest younger brother, Stannis Baratheon, in his quest to claim the Iron Throne. She’s described as a seductive force possessing prophetic powers who’s willing to impose her religion on the world by any means necessary. Stannis, meanwhile, believes himself to be the Iron Throne’s rightful heir and is described as humorless and authoritative, with a strict moral code (his younger brother Renly, who also wants to be king, memorably described Stannis in the first season as having “the personality of a lobster”). But Stannis is gradually succumbing to the power of his newfound religion.

Melisandre will be played by Carice van Houten, a Dutch stage and film actress. She’s appeared in the movies Valkyrie and Repo Men. I think you’ll agree she looks just about perfect for Melisandre.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/19/stannis-melisandre/
Off the top of my head I think she was in the recent Black Death with Sean Bean. If I'm right I like the choice. Off to IMDB....

EDIT: yep, that's her.
post #461 of 2249 Old 07-20-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Off the top of my head I think she was in the recent Black Death with Sean Bean. If I'm right I like the choice. Off to IMDB....

EDIT: yep, that's her.
Yes, she's the Dutch Meryl Streep and quite an actress. The best thing I've seen her in is The Black Book, a Dutch WWII film that is excellent. Nothing like her upcoming role, but you can see her chops.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #462 of 2249 Old 07-20-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Which of the new female cast members are likely to do nude scenes?
post #463 of 2249 Old 07-22-2011, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Maureen Ryan recaps "Game of Thrones" panel at Comic-Con: http://www.aoltv.com/2011/07/22/comi...me-of-thrones/. [Be aware that what follows contains plot information about season 1. It does not contain spoilers for season 2.]
post #464 of 2249 Old 07-22-2011, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Which of the new female cast members are likely to do nude scenes?

None. Margaery, Brienne, and Melisandre don't have any nude scenes.
post #465 of 2249 Old 07-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Maureen Ryan recaps "Game of Thrones" panel at Comic-Con: http://www.aoltv.com/2011/07/22/comi...me-of-thrones/. [Be aware that what follows contains plot information about season 1. It does not contain spoilers for season 2.]

From the link:

Quote:

More seriously, Benioff said this: "For the readers, they know much of what to expect. If we're lucky enough, if we have a season 3, that's when it won't start corresponding so neatly [i.e., one season per book]. 'Storm of Swords' is just too big. We don't know yet whether it will be one and a half seasons, maybe it's three seasons for 'Storm of Swords.' We don't know yet exactly. ............Our hope is -- from the very beginning, I remember talking about this with you, George -- if we can keep this alive somehow, if we can get to [an event in 'Storm of Swords' he calls R.W.], we've accomplished something. ... If that happens, I can retire to my asylum."

Very nice to hear. I don't know if they'll get to make the entire series but if they can't my hope is that they make the first three books. The end of SoS could be a reasonable end to the TV series.
post #466 of 2249 Old 07-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

In the books...I'm sure HBO can come up with a new scene or two. The story demands it!!
post #467 of 2249 Old 07-22-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From the link:

Very nice to hear. I don't know if they'll get to make the entire series but if they can't my hope is that they make the first three books. The end of SoS could be a reasonable end to the TV series.

Personally, if the show is going to end prematurely and it probably will, then they'll have to do some major rewrites to tie things up. It may be their short term goal to get there, but think of the audience reaction if that was it.

post #468 of 2249 Old 07-22-2011, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Books are suppose to be big sellers so why didn't they go the route of making movies out of them instead of a series?

With the success of LoTR and Harry Potter, seems like it could have have been viable, then they wouldn't be vulnerable to the whims of a TV network -- of course, it has to do well at the box office to be able to film all the books.

Or maybe HBO would make feature films after the series ends, the way they have with Sex and the City, if they would have film rights.

It would suck if they canceled after a couple of seasons. Hopefully HBO has an interest in keeping production, now with features like HBO Go. So there's the potential that subscribers who missed the first season or two can catch up and then follow the show as new seasons come online. The show seems to be generating a lot of word of mouth so as new seasons are premiered, the hype could build on itself and they're able to build an increasing audience to justify continuing production.
post #469 of 2249 Old 07-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Eh? I'm reading the 2nd book right now and just got past a scene where Melisandre (The Red Lady) stripped down, on a boat no less. Carice van Houten is no stranger to onscreen nudity.
post #470 of 2249 Old 07-22-2011, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Books are suppose to be big sellers so why didn't they go the route of making movies out of them instead of a series?

With the success of LoTR and Harry Potter, seems like it could have have been viable, then they wouldn't be vulnerable to the whims of a TV network -- of course, it has to do well at the box office to be able to film all the books.

Even the extended editions of LOTR combined are just barely longer than season one of GoT, the Harry Potter films will fall short of the first two seasons of Got.

By being on HBO they can take the necessary time, build their audience over a longer timeframe (ratings went up every week), and then show reruns as much as they want leading up to the second season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post

Eh? I'm reading the 2nd book right now and just got past a scene where Melisandre (The Red Lady) stripped down, on a boat no less. Carice van Houten is no stranger to onscreen nudity.

Forgot she stripped down for that, but I'm guessing we won't see much.
post #471 of 2249 Old 07-23-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks to the forum! I had no idea what the show was or was about but when I kept seeing the thread pop up I had to check it out and when I saw almost everyone loved it and it got well reviewed it caught my interest. I started it a week ago and just finished today! Can't wait for season 2. So well done. Everything Camelot should have been. At first it started out slow and I wasn't sure but by episode two I was hooked and kept watching one after the other until it was done.
post #472 of 2249 Old 07-28-2011, 07:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 169
TCA Summer Tour Notes
HBO: We won't ax 'Game of Thrones' too soon
By James Hibberd, EW.com's 'Inside TV' Blog - July 28th, 2011

HBO's top executives reassured nervous critics that Game of Thrones won't be treated like Deadwood a serialized favorite that was cancelled without an ending.

We told [author George R.R. Martin] we'd go as long as he keeps writing, said HBO co-president Richard Plepler.

I hope it lasts for 20 years, says HBO programming president Michael Lombardo of the show. I promise you we won't stop it before it's ready to stop There's a great relationship fans have with the show and we appreciate that. We've never seen people get so excited about casting [decisions].

One critic worried about the possibility of Thrones finishing in the middle of Martin's saga. Nor do we expect it to, Plepler said.

But don't start debating who'll play Victarion just yet there's some hedging to come. I don't know where the show ends compared to the books, Lombardo added. We're doing this without any predetermined number of seasons.

The executives also addressed a big fan complaint only doing 10 episodes per season.

The challenge on a show like Thrones is if we could do 12, we would, said Lombardo, who noted they didn't want fans to have to wait more than a year between seasons. To produce those shows in the time they have, there's no way they could physically do more than 10 than for without diluting the quality of the execution.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/28/hb...el/#more-52394
post #473 of 2249 Old 07-29-2011, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

There's the worry that the show will catch up, and after finishing Dance I think you add in the possibility of a big dropoff of viewers.

While I think Feast is decent, it's slow and not enough material for a full season once the chaff is removed. Dance has the same problem, only more so.
post #474 of 2249 Old 07-29-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Less than halfway through Dance (and loving it, so far) but I believe the big man himself suggested that Feast+Dance together would take 3 seasons. I think that's bunk...the entirety of (important parts of) Feast could be done in 6 episodes or less, and would be a vast improvement over taking 10. That leaves 1 1/2 seasons for Dance, which, given how they squeezed all of Game into 10 episodes, seems more than doable without sacrificing anything of importance. I reality they'd interleave the books, since most of Dance is concurrent with Feast, so getting to the "end" of Feast might very well take a whole season, but you'd also be significantly through Dance at that point. Can't speak intelligently about that any further until I finish the book.

I'm still worried about Season 3 more than anything else, though. So much happens in Storm, but stretching it across multiple seasons would dilute it. Maybe we can hope for 14 episodes that season??

Anyway, it is nice that HBO is willing to say they are going to back it for decades, but honestly once it ceases to be the hot new show and the budget requirements keep going up and up, they may sing a different tune.

I'm still just ecstatic that we got one awesome season, FWIW.
post #475 of 2249 Old 07-29-2011, 09:57 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdr25 View Post

Less than halfway through Dance (and loving it, so far) but I believe the big man himself suggested that Feast+Dance together would take 3 seasons. I think that's bunk...the entirety of (important parts of) Feast could be done in 6 episodes or less, and would be a vast improvement over taking 10. That leaves 1 1/2 seasons for Dance, which, given how they squeezed all of Game into 10 episodes, seems more than doable without sacrificing anything of importance. I reality they'd interleave the books, since most of Dance is concurrent with Feast, so getting to the "end" of Feast might very well take a whole season, but you'd also be significantly through Dance at that point. Can't speak intelligently about that any further until I finish the book.

I'm still worried about Season 3 more than anything else, though. So much happens in Storm, but stretching it across multiple seasons would dilute it. Maybe we can hope for 14 episodes that season??

Anyway, it is nice that HBO is willing to say they are going to back it for decades, but honestly once it ceases to be the hot new show and the budget requirements keep going up and up, they may sing a different tune.

I'm still just ecstatic that we got one awesome season, FWIW.

You have to remember that Feast and the first half of Dance are on the same timeline. After Storm he next book was supposed to be Dance and it became far too large. He then released Feast with what was supposed to be a quick follow of Dance (I think he took 5.5 years longer then he anticipated). The second half of Dance you pick up some of the POV's from Feast.

Here is hoping it doesn't take another 6 years for Winds of Winter.
post #476 of 2249 Old 07-29-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke View Post

You have to remember that Feast and the first half of Dance are on the same timeline.

I did. The 2nd to last sentence in the first paragraph that you quoted addresses that explicitly.

Quote:

Here is hoping it doesn't take another 6 years for Winds of Winter.

No kidding. I did find that time had softened my rather harsh opinion of Feast, though. I finished my reread of it a few weeks ago and found that the sour taste it left in my mouth the first time through was completely gone. That seemingly interminable wait made my expectations way too high; I don't think I would've felt satisfied with anything. I have a much more open mind (i.e., realistic expectations) with Dance.

I do think Feast and (what I've read so far of) Dance are much less tightly written than Game and Storm. (Clash's pace is meh.) GRRM could use a close friend/editor telling him to do a better job moving things along. But I understand why he does it - as a long-time TV writer, he was constantly forced to write within the constraints of that medium. Now he can stretch things as much as he wants, so he's taking full advantage of that. Dude writes a hell of a story, even if it isn't as taught as it could be.
post #477 of 2249 Old 07-29-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

I doubt it. HBO's been pretty clear that each season will be 10 episodes, reiterating that point again yesterday at TCA. See the article a few posts up.
post #478 of 2249 Old 07-29-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

It's pretty clear, at least for right now, that 10 eps fit the budget and that's what they are concerned about. As far as the series is concerned, the first 2 novels should be a season. The 3rd, possibly split over 2 or heavily excised. From there, I found the books so cumbersome and myriad, I don't know how the showrunners will work it.

post #479 of 2249 Old 07-29-2011, 01:32 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

I did. The 2nd to last sentence in the first paragraph that you quoted addresses that explicitly.

No kidding. I did find that time had softened my rather harsh opinion of Feast, though. I finished my reread of it a few weeks ago and found that the sour taste it left in my mouth the first time through was completely gone. That seemingly interminable wait made my expectations way too high; I don't think I would've felt satisfied with anything. I have a much more open mind (i.e., realistic expectations) with Dance.

I do think Feast and (what I've read so far of) Dance are much less tightly written than Game and Storm. (Clash's pace is meh.) GRRM could use a close friend/editor telling him to do a better job moving things along. But I understand why he does it - as a long-time TV writer, he was constantly forced to write within the constraints of that medium. Now he can stretch things as much as he wants, so he's taking full advantage of that. Dude writes a hell of a story, even if it isn't as taught as it could be.

I had the same experience with Feast - didn't care for it the first time. As I reread the entire series getting ready for Dance I enjoyed it the second time through. It was amazing how much more of the plot that I picked up the second read through. I don't think I could have read Dance without rereading the rest of the series.
post #480 of 2249 Old 08-11-2011, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Reports have emerged that another Irish actor will be joining the second series of HBO's Game of Thrones'. IFTA winning actor Michael McElhatton will play Roose Bolton, Lord of the Dreadfort, known as Leech Lord'. Bolton is a cold, tough character whose allegiance is to Winterfell even though his family was once sworn enemies of the Starks.

Michael McElhatton is best known for his comic work on TV series Paths to Freedom' and its spin off movie Spin the Bottle' and has starred in films such as Intermission' and Fifty Dead Men Walking'. Michael has recently wrapped on Irish co-productions Death of a Superhero' and Shadow Dancer'.

Welsh actor Robert Pugh (The Shadow Line, Torchwood) is another addition to the second series of the HBO fantasy drama. Pugh will take on the role of Caster'.

Other actors signed up for season two of Game of Thrones' include Roy Dotrice, Gemma Whelan, Tom Wlaschiha, Carice van Houten, Stephen Dillane and Natalie Dormer. Game of Thrones' Series Two is currently filming in Northern Ireland and funding for the show was received from Northern Ireland Screen supported by Invest NI and part funded by the European Regional Development Fund.

http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record...chnews&force=1

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page