'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD *** WARNING - Spoilers allowed *** - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 2235 Old 05-31-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageone79 View Post

I did think it was weird that they showed him at the very front of the battle in the episode and the first up the ladder. There is being a leader and then there is being stupid ! It would have been way to easy to kill him if he really was that close to the front.
On a side note do the books do a good job of tying all of these events and people together?

Yes, better than the show has (especially season 2, just too much going on for the show to fit in).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 2235 Old 05-31-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkerbow View Post

On a boat, outside the bay, watching the battle with Melisandre.

I don't think she was with him. Not nitpicking-it comes up later in the books that he has never won without the witch by his side. It might even have been said by his wife...

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #873 of 2235 Old 05-31-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageone79 View Post

I did think it was weird that they showed him at the very front of the battle in the episode and the first up the ladder. There is being a leader and then there is being stupid ! It would have been way to easy to kill him if he really was that close to the front.
On a side note do the books do a good job of tying all of these events and people together?

Even more strange when you consider Martin wrote the episode. All I can think of is that it made a sharper contrast with Joffrey's hasty exit. Plus showed why it was needed to have the imp lead the counterattack, although they had already given plenty of reasons why that was necesary I think.

post #874 of 2235 Old 06-01-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

I don't think she [Melisandre] was with him. Not nitpicking-it comes up later in the books that he has never won without the witch by his side. It might even have been said by his wife...

That's right. In the book, Stanis' Hand, Ser Davos, convinced Stanis not to take Melisandre with him by arguing that if Melisandre came along she would get credit for Stanis' victory even if he won.
post #875 of 2235 Old 06-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I stand corrected. For some reason I thought she was on the boat, but away from the action.

-- David
post #876 of 2235 Old 06-01-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

That's right. In the book, Stanis' Hand, Ser Davos, convinced Stanis not to take Melisandre with him by arguing that if Melisandre came along she would get credit for Stanis' victory even if he won.

And I think that happened in the series too. My memory is that Stannis was in back with the troops that got attacked from behind by Tywin and Loras. I remember that another thing Tyrion did that he didn't get credit for was by having his Stonecrows and others out in the field picking off Stannis' scouts so that Stannis got taken completely by surprise.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #877 of 2235 Old 06-01-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Those obsessed with the changes the series has made to the story in the second season might be interested in this Rolling Stone slideshow: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/l...ction-19691231

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #878 of 2235 Old 06-01-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just finished book 2 for the 2nd time today. Perfect timing non-coincidentally!
post #879 of 2235 Old 06-01-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkerbow View Post

On a boat, outside the bay, watching the battle with Melisandre.

Melisandre was left behind at storms end or dragonstone. Stannis was part of the host that marched while a florent (the current hand) led the assault by sea. Stannis was never on a boat during the battle...the rear guard at sea was Saladar San...the pirate and stannis would never be on his ship. The tv show didn't show the host that marched by land. This was why taking storms end first was so important and That was who the tyrells and tywin attacked when they arrived. This was also who tyrions tribesman from the vale were attacking as well in the kings wood becuz he knew they would be useless in battle but they were great In guerrilla warfare.

Anyone notice that Loras Tyrell was wearing Renly's armor at the end of the episode in the throne room?
post #880 of 2235 Old 06-03-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Who's excited for the season finale?!?!?!?!
post #881 of 2235 Old 06-03-2012, 02:13 PM

Liked: 13
Can't wait!
But I'll feel like a friend is going away for a long time..
post #882 of 2235 Old 06-03-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuss View Post

Can't wait!
But I'll feel like a friend is going away for a long time..

I know what you mean...that is what forced me to read the books last year. I have finished the books at this point tho so I'm going to read The Dunk and Egg Novellas during the years off-season. I'm also a True Blood fan so that helps fill the void left at 9pm on Sundays. After that we get Dexter and Boardwalk Empire. HBO really does offer the best shows on tv.
post #883 of 2235 Old 06-03-2012, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post

I know what you mean...that is what forced me to read the books last year. I have finished the books at this point tho so I'm going to read The Dunk and Egg Novellas during the years off-season. I'm also a True Blood fan so that helps fill the void left at 9pm on Sundays. After that we get Dexter and Boardwalk Empire. HBO really does offer the best shows on tv.

HBO had a tough stretch after Deadwood and Rome were cancelled, and I thought for awhile it was in danger of being eclipsed by Showtime, which was turning out shows like Dexter, Weeds, and Califorication. HBO has righted the ship in recent years, thanks in no small part to Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, and True Blood.
post #884 of 2235 Old 06-03-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Ugh, what a mess that ep was.
post #885 of 2235 Old 06-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
No sign of Ramsey Snow/Reek. I though he might make an appearance in the finale. I guess we will meet the Bastard of Bolton next season, but it will make explaining why Theon becomes Reek a little difficult as we never met Ramsey as Reek. Unless the get rid of Reek completely, and just make Theon a captive. No Reek, no Reek, it rhymes with weak! The Others looked nothing like I imagined.
post #886 of 2235 Old 06-03-2012, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Reek rhymes with FREAK! Anyways I thought Sam position is a little ridiculous especially the fact that he lives through being surround by wights and white walkers. Also the house of the undying sucked.
post #887 of 2235 Old 06-03-2012, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Let me start off by saying I love the show and tore through all the books after about 3 episodes last season and finished before ADWD and picked it up opening week. Big fan and waiting for more, but have forgotten a lot and probably should read again. Were the books end and begin is blurry for me since was a marathon. Always lurking in both threads.

I realize they didn't have the time and don't know if they could have done it better. Some of the changes worked well but it was just too much material. Hope they go through with splitting up the books to give the excellent cast more time to develop the characters and fill in the gaps a bit more.

Reek? - kind of a weak ending there, hope they fix that somehow next year. I am guessing he was traded by his men for their free passage or something? Did like the scene when he broke down with Maester Luwin.

Daenary's- Too much changed/left out. Liked the look her and the dragons had before the burning and thought it was a nice touch. More story takes more time.

Jon Snow- Would have liked them to include some more substance in the dialogue between him and Qhorin making it more apparent that the Halfhand's death was part of the larger picture, and that Jon knew what must be done instead of over a "your momma" joke. It was okay but just felt could have been better. I must have missed something in the last episode between them or something.

Didn't seem to me that the white walker's looked like the one beginning the show in s1 ep1? I will have to watch that again to compare. Great shot to end the season with showing the army of the dead on the march! Although I don't think Sam has enough dragonglass to fend them off alone?

Anyways I still really enjoyed this season and while it wasn't perfect, its the best show on television period. I think I
need to marathon the first season blu ray and re-watch season 2. Looking forward to seeing your guys take on the finale!
post #888 of 2235 Old 06-04-2012, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I know I'm going to be alone on this but I'm finding the series much more focused than the books. I thought this episode was brilliant.

post #889 of 2235 Old 06-04-2012, 01:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post

Reek rhymes with FREAK! Anyways I thought Sam position is a little ridiculous especially the fact that he lives through being surround by wights and white walkers. Also the house of the undying sucked.

I agree that the whole Danaerys arc this season was poor, especially the house of the undying.

However, I thought the white walkers and wights were very cooly executed. I'm not sure yet about how they have short-cutted Jon Snow's adventure. I really like what they did with Theon and Asha (err Yara). The actor playing Theon has done great. They cut Tyrion down to size considerably this ep which follows his arc perfectly. The scar isn't half as bad as in the book but I didn't see how they were going to seriously mutilate their leading man. Robb is sort of silly. Worst. Decision. Ever. I guess I have to remember he's just a boy. They didn't show the immediate consequences (all the Freys leaving). The Red Wedding is next season. They are playing Roose Bolton perfectly. That actor is doing a great job. Quiet but really menacing and yet nondescript. I always have to remind myself who he is. Arya's adventures were done fine with the reparte with Tywin being some of the high points. The kid playing Joffrey is doing a great job. The set up to get him out of his vow was really poorly done in a very good way. I was actually happy for the Littlefinger reveal for Sansa which anticipates things next season. I'm not sure what Varys has in mind but I like the actor playing him. And really like the actress doing Brienne.

All in all, I thought the ep covered most of the bases needed to be covered and mostly good with the Theon Greyjoy story being the bestest. Second place goes to Jaime and Brienne.

post #890 of 2235 Old 06-04-2012, 06:15 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

All in all, I thought the ep covered most of the bases needed to be covered and mostly good with the Theon Greyjoy story being the bestest. Second place goes to Jaime and Brienne.

When you think about the plot twists next season, it will be fun to read the non-spoiler thread:

1. The Red Wedding
2. Joffrey's "wedding" (I spoiled this one to the wife last night...she's already giddy with anticipation)
3. Jaime's issues
4. Jon's time with the Wilding Army.

Side note from an above post. The undead we saw last night were the Others, which are different from the recently dead White Walkers in Season 1.
post #891 of 2235 Old 06-04-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

We saw Others/White Walkers on the horses. The wights/zombies/recently dead were the bulk of the horde.
post #892 of 2235 Old 06-04-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rflor View Post

When you think about the plot twists next season, it will be fun to read the non-spoiler thread:

1. The Red Wedding
2. Joffrey's "wedding" (I spoiled this one to the wife last night...she's already giddy with anticipation)
3. Jaime's issues
4. Jon's time with the Wilding Army.

Side note from an above post. The undead we saw last night were the Others, which are different from the recently dead White Walkers in Season 1.

Tywin/Tyrion twist as well.

Argee
post #893 of 2235 Old 06-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
so looked up red wedding, but what about the tywin/tyrion twist?

Comcast, E.D.L.
post #894 of 2235 Old 06-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_d_lopez View Post

so looked up red wedding, but what about the tywin/tyrion twist?

major spoilers
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  

Tyrion is accused of murdering Joffrey, and is put on trial (regular, and then by combat) Long story short, he is found guilty, locked up to be executed. Jaime Lannister rescues him (with Varys' help), and during the escape Tyrion goes to the Hand's Tower after Jaime reveals the truth about Tysha not being a prostitute, where he sees Shae in his father's bed. He strangles her to death, and then shoots Tywin in the stomach with a crossbow after confronting him about Shae while on the privvy, and kills him too. The Imp then escapes via boat and heads across the Narrow Sea.
post #895 of 2235 Old 06-04-2012, 10:31 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycruiser View Post

major spoilers
Spoiler  

Tyrion is accused of murdering Joffrey, and is put on trial (regular, and then by combat) Long story short, he is found guilty, locked up to be executed. Jaime Lannister rescues him (with Varys' help), and during the escape Tyrion goes to the Hand's Tower after Jaime reveals the truth about Tysha not being a prostitute, where he sees Shae in his father's bed. He strangles her to death, and then shoots Tywin in the stomach with a crossbow after confronting him about Shae while on the privvy, and kills him too. The Imp then escapes via boat and heads across the Narrow Sea.

More Spoilers...

Spoiler  
It's been a year since I read that book, but wasn't there a twist to the trial by combat which made things even more crazy?

Now that I think about, I'm not sure they could resolve the Tywin/Tyrion item in Season 3...just too much to cram in one 10-episode season.

Also, the Shae changes now make it more difficult for the writers to turn her against Tyrion in that pivotal scene. I wonder if they will write in some major fight between the two to lay the groundwork. In the books, her "love" for Tyrion is never apparent, and the reader is left guessing how much she cares.
post #896 of 2235 Old 06-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflor View Post

More Spoilers...

Spoiler  
It's been a year since I read that book, but wasn't there a twist to the trial by combat which made things even more crazy?

Now that I think about, I'm not sure they could resolve the Tywin/Tyrion item in Season 3...just too much to cram in one 10-episode season.

Also, the Shae changes now make it more difficult for the writers to turn her against Tyrion in that pivotal scene. I wonder if they will write in some major fight between the two to lay the groundwork. In the books, her "love" for Tyrion is never apparent, and the reader is left guessing how much she cares.

Spoiler  
Shae testifies against Tyrion in the trial. Although IIRC it was implied that she was forced to do so and lie to incriminate him. The trial by combat involved the Mountain versus the Red Viper Oberyn Martell. Martell wanted revenge as his sister was married to Raeger Targaryen, and she was raped and murdered with the children during the sacking of Kings Landing. Tyrion told Oberyn that it was the Mountain who had killed his sister. There was also a whole part of the story where either Oberyn or Elia Martell was meant to marry either Cersei or Jaime, and when they arrived Tywin insulted them by offering Tyrion instead. In the trial, both men died. Martell got the upper hand, trying to prolong Clegane's death. The Mountain smashed him in the head, killing him and winning the trial. But the Viper's spear was poisoned, and the Mountain died very painfully, and in a drawn out manner from the poison.
post #897 of 2235 Old 06-04-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Queue UnGregor discussion.

Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
XBL & PSN GT: ProjectGemini07

post #898 of 2235 Old 06-04-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycruiser View Post

Spoiler  
Shae testifies against Tyrion in the trial. Although IIRC it was implied that she was forced to do so and lie to incriminate him. The trial by combat involved the Mountain versus the Red Viper Oberyn Martell. Martell wanted revenge as his sister was married to Raeger Targaryen, and she was raped and murdered with the children during the sacking of Kings Landing. Tyrion told Oberyn that it was the Mountain who had killed his sister. There was also a whole part of the story where either Oberyn or Elia Martell was meant to marry either Cersei or Jaime, and when they arrived Tywin insulted them by offering Tyrion instead. In the trial, both men died. Martell got the upper hand, trying to prolong Clegane's death. The Mountain smashed him in the head, killing him and winning the trial. But the Viper's spear was poisoned, and the Mountain died very painfully, and in a drawn out manner from the poison.

That fight is one of the highlights of the books. It has to be rendered.

post #899 of 2235 Old 06-04-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Overall this is still a great adaptation but I feel like several things are being missed, things which hit me hard emotionally in the books.

1. Jon Snow vs. Qhorin Halfhand. This was rushed and didn't have nearly the sense of weight and desperation that it had in the book.

2. Tyrion/Bronn/Blackwater. Lack of the chain and discussion of the role the Mountain Clans played was crucial in the books in demonstrating Tyrion's mental greatness.

3. House of the Undying. So much depth there just glossed over. I suppose GRRM even regrets now those visions and how he needs to resolve them. Pesky hanging chads at this point.

4. Jaime/Catelyn. The discussion they had before he was set free was marvelous. Here, it was basically non-existent, real missed opportunity.

5. Reed kids. Where are they?

Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
XBL & PSN GT: ProjectGemini07

post #900 of 2235 Old 06-04-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynesjc View Post

Overall this is still a great adaptation but I feel like several things are being missed, things which hit me hard emotionally in the books.

1. Jon Snow vs. Qhorin Halfhand. This was rushed and didn't have nearly the sense of weight and desperation that it had in the book.

2. Tyrion/Bronn/Blackwater. Lack of the chain and discussion of the role the Mountain Clans played was crucial in the books in demonstrating Tyrion's mental greatness.

3. House of the Undying. So much depth there just glossed over. I suppose GRRM even regrets now those visions and how he needs to resolve them. Pesky hanging chads at this point.

4. Jaime/Catelyn. The discussion they had before he was set free was marvelous. Here, it was basically non-existent, real missed opportunity.

5. Reed kids. Where are they?

Much editing done for tv. House of the Undying was a significant letdown. Reed kids are being cast for next year. I thought they got across how important Tyrion was and put an exclamation point on it with Varys' discussion with him in the finale. That makes his current situation seem so much more sad/dire especially with Tywin's arrogant acceptance of awards on a horse (for me to poop on!)

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page