'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD *** WARNING - Spoilers allowed *** - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 2267 Old 06-04-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I wonder what they are going to do with Theon - It seems very unlikely to me that he will simply not appear for the next 2 seasons. Do you think they will try to move some of his story from DwD forward?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2267 Old 06-04-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

I know I'm going to be alone on this but I'm finding the series much more focused than the books. I thought this episode was brilliant.

Actually, you are not along in enjoying the way the series has tightened up the sprawling story told in the A Song of Ice and Fire series. I particularly enjoyed the Daenerys thread last night. I thought the way the theft of the dragons riddle was solved, ending with the dragons' incineration of the sorcerer was brilliant theater. I also loved the dream sequence between Daenerys and her Sun and Stars and their child. Very moving.

It's going to be interesting to see next season how
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Tyrion's relationships with his father, Tywin, and his lover-whore, Shae, are handled. Really looking forward to that. Now that Theon has been kidnapped, I am anxiously awaiting the entry of the arch fiend, the former Ramsay Snow, the Bastard of Bolton, now Ramsay Bolton.
post #903 of 2267 Old 06-04-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Some seem to want them to put the book on screen and just turn the pages.

Argee
post #904 of 2267 Old 06-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycruiser View Post

major spoilers
Spoiler  

Tyrion is accused of murdering Joffrey, and is put on trial (regular, and then by combat) Long story short, he is found guilty, locked up to be executed. Jaime Lannister rescues him (with Varys' help), and during the escape Tyrion goes to the Hand's Tower after Jaime reveals the truth about Tysha not being a prostitute, where he sees Shae in his father's bed. He strangles her to death, and then shoots Tywin in the stomach with a crossbow after confronting him about Shae while on the privvy, and kills him too. The Imp then escapes via boat and heads across the Narrow Sea.

wow. how disappointing for tyrion.

Comcast, E.D.L.
post #905 of 2267 Old 06-04-2012, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Actually, you are not along in enjoying the way the series has tightened up the sprawling story told in the A Song of Ice and Fire series. I particularly enjoyed the Daenerys thread last night. I thought the way the theft of the dragons riddle was solved, ending with the dragons' incineration of the sorcerer was brilliant theater. I also loved the dream sequence between Daenerys and her Sun and Stars and their child. Very moving.

It's going to be interesting to see next season how
Spoiler  
Tyrion's relationships with his father, Tywin, and his lover-whore, Shae, are handled. Really looking forward to that. Now that Theon has been kidnapped, I am anxiously awaiting the entry of the arch fiend, the former Ramsay Snow, the Bastard of Bolton, now Ramsay Bolton.

Well you and I are definately on the same pageAgree with everything you say, esp. the brilliant theater part. Daenerys entered the temple still pretty much a little girl. She left a queen, and the series captured that transformation perfectly. Yeah, we lost some of the depth the book provides but instead got great drama. It was a fair trade off.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #906 of 2267 Old 06-05-2012, 06:13 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Well you and I are definately on the same pageAgree with everything you say, esp. the brilliant theater part. Daenerys entered the temple still pretty much a little girl. She left a queen, and the series captured that transformation perfectly. Yeah, we lost some of the depth the book provides but instead got great drama. It was a fair trade off.

I can't recall if it was here or another forum where some have speculated that GRRM green-lit the streamlining of the House of Dying sequence. There are enough "visions" in the original that almost requires GRRM to address in future books that I bet he regrets writing the sequence in the first place.
post #907 of 2267 Old 06-06-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28

The House of Undying/Warlock storyline is probably my least favorite part of the entire book series.   I'm actually glad they glossed over it in the TV show.  

post #908 of 2267 Old 06-06-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by edpowers View Post

The House of Undying/Warlock storyline is probably my least favorite part of the entire book series.   I'm actually glad they glossed over it in the TV show.  
i wasn't crazy about the Warlock's storyline in the books either. Thus, I thought its handling in the TV series was a big improvement. As noted in an earlier post, I liked watching Dani grow up before our eyes while she freed herself and her dragons from the Warlock's control and made the Warlock pay for his perfidy. That was good theater and good storytelling.
post #909 of 2267 Old 06-11-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 95
So the books had all the zombies heading towards night watch?

And Jon had to kill the other guy why?
post #910 of 2267 Old 06-11-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Book had the zombies kicking the night watches asses. They really did blend books 2&3 this season, more then I had thought till I started in on book 3.

Jon had to live and the most hated person was Halfhand to the wildlings. Thus Jon lives, gets to get intel and the halfhand dies a death of his own choosing.
post #911 of 2267 Old 06-11-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmm, zombies seem like mixing of genres here.

Kinda weak.
post #912 of 2267 Old 06-11-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Kinda weak.

Well we have only seen them what twice? Buggers are way harder to kill then normal zombies I believe. Hence the 700 foot magical Ice wall thats been there to keep them out for thousands of years....
post #913 of 2267 Old 06-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

To get the wildlings to trust him enough so that he can infiltrate their camp and gather as much intel on them as possible. Killing one of his own proving that he's "turned" is what Quorin was asking him to do since he knew he was going to die (probably).

-- David
post #914 of 2267 Old 06-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
One wonders just how important Jon is to the red priestess Melisandre. In the books we've seen what another devotee of the Red God can do. This question is in relationship to the ending of Book 5.
post #915 of 2267 Old 06-12-2012, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Well we have only seen them what twice? Buggers are way harder to kill then normal zombies I believe. Hence the 700 foot magical Ice wall thats been there to keep them out for thousands of years....

I'm just saying, what are we going to see next, space ships. If it comes from the books I guess the producers have no choice. But it seems they're just throwing in more characters/races/beings in an already crowded pot.
post #916 of 2267 Old 06-12-2012, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm just saying, what are we going to see next, space ships. If it comes from the books I guess the producers have no choice. But it seems they're just throwing in more characters/races/beings in an already crowded pot.

All from the book . In fact they have not introduced many a character (Reeds come to mind next season maybe?) that are in the book. This season blended 2 & 3 together more then I knew. Started on book 3 and alot more of this season made sense.
post #917 of 2267 Old 06-12-2012, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Its a big complicated series, one that if you read once you miss a lot of the subplots. If you read the second time much more comes to light. Its easy to lose track of whats important, the white walkers, the dragons, who is/wants/will sit on the Iron Throne.

Nobody thought they could transform this to the visual media even George RR Martin (I think when he saw Rome he changed his mind). While its not perfect, they have done a outstanding job simplifying stories and bringing them all together. They could easily do 25 - 30 epidsodes a book.
post #918 of 2267 Old 06-12-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

If you think this is bad, stay away from True Blood!  

post #919 of 2267 Old 06-12-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm confused by this. Both the books and the series start with the walkers killing members of the nightwatch, how are they just throwing them in? What we would call supernatural has always been a major part of the story. I think its important to remember we're seeing the events from the POV of characters living at the time, and how they would explain it to themselves. To not have magic figure in their view of the world would be inaccurate. What we call myths now were once reality for the folks living it. Maybe if Martin keeps the series going for 2000 years we'll get a scientific explaination for all the seemingly supernatural elements. Just like we now know what a comet is and a solar eclipse is not some huge being swallowing the sun.smile.gif

post #920 of 2267 Old 06-12-2012, 01:44 PM

Liked: 21
Remembering that this is a fantasy series. In truth, its more of a fantasy/historical hybrid. In LOTR, the king is the king because he is the king. In GMOT, hes the king because he started a rebellion, killed the king and proclaimed himself king. While magic exist in this world, it is in the background (and tied to the dragons).
post #921 of 2267 Old 06-12-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke View Post

Remembering that this is a fantasy series. In truth, its more of a fantasy/historical hybrid. In LOTR, the king is the king because he is the king. In GMOT, hes the king because he started a rebellion, killed the king and proclaimed himself king. While magic exist in this world, it is in the background (and tied to the dragons).
n

The supernatural is tied to their reality as much as science is to ours. Martin is trying to portray it as those living it know the world. Magic as we would call it is part of the world view. It apparently wanes in summer and grows in power in winter, and they have been in the longest summer anyone can remember. As winter comes the magic grows. Whether the growth in supernatural events is caused by the reemergence of dragons, or the reappearance of dragons is merely another sign of the growth of magic, is debateable.

post #922 of 2267 Old 06-12-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

n
The supernatural is tied to their reality as much as science is to ours. Martin is trying to portray it as those living it know the world. Magic as we would call it is part of the world view. It apparently wanes in summer and grows in power in winter, and they have been in the longest summer anyone can remember. As winter comes the magic grows. Whether the growth in supernatural events is caused by the reemergence of dragons, or the reappearance of dragons is merely another sign of the growth of magic, is debateable.
Anyone questioning the choices of the show in this thread has to realize that the creators can edit GRRMs choices, but proven over the last 2 seasons won't alter Westerosverse significantly. There won't be aliens (hopefully), but Dragons, Others, Faceless Men, Wights(undead), Direwolves imprinted by Starks, Maesters (specialized Alchemist/Magician/Scholar class), occult Preist/Presitesses and perhaps wizards are part of this world. They're integrated subtlely and have impact, but aren't part of the main POV character's (except for Dany) struggles with the Game. They just have to be accounted for. We know more than the characters in the story. They only know their parts. I'm sure GRRM intends to bring it all together. The Dragons will be big, maybe the Direwolves vs. the overarching enemy, and it's champions, the White Walkers. However, before we get to that faceoiff, a ton of characters have to live out their stories and misunderstandings...lots of drama and chaos...and...we all may be disappointed in the end. You may not like where the story goes. I've had my issues and would prefer a quicker and cleaner pace, but if you find it contrived or too familiar, stop watching or reading.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #923 of 2267 Old 06-12-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Anyone questioning the choices of the show in this thread has to realize that the creators can edit GRRMs choices, but proven over the last 2 seasons won't alter Westerosverse significantly. There won't be aliens (hopefully), but Dragons, Others, Faceless Men, Wights(undead), Direwolves imprinted by Starks, Maesters (specialized Alchemist/Magician/Scholar class), occult Preist/Presitesses and perhaps wizards are part of this world. They're integrated subtlely and have impact, but aren't part of the main POV character's (except for Dany) struggles with the Game. They just have to be accounted for. We know more than the characters in the story. They only know their parts. I'm sure GRRM intends to bring it all together. The Dragons will be big, maybe the Direwolves vs. the overarching enemy, and it's champions, the White Walkers. However, before we get to that faceoiff, a ton of characters have to live out their stories and misunderstandings...lots of drama and chaos...and...we all may be disappointed in the end. You may not like where the story goes. I've had my issues and would prefer a quicker and cleaner pace, but if you find it contrived or too familiar, stop watching or reading.

I'm confused again. I thought I was defending the show runner's choices as well as Martin's storyline. Did it come off as I was questioning the way they're going?

post #924 of 2267 Old 06-12-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

This was all handled much better in the books.
wdkerbow likes this.
post #925 of 2267 Old 06-12-2012, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

This was all handled much better in the books.

Have to agree. I've had only minor quibbles with any of the other changes, and actually like a lot of them. Burt Jon's story has been the weak link. I can hardly imagine how anyone can fully understand it without reading the book.

post #926 of 2267 Old 06-13-2012, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

I'm confused again. I thought I was defending the show runner's choices as well as Martin's storyline. Did it come off as I was questioning the way they're going?
No, I liked your post...should have put a +1 before my appendix to your reply to the other guy(s)biggrin.gif

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #927 of 2267 Old 06-13-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Sorry I havnt been active but I have felt lost without the iPhone app. Anyways I thought season 1 was much better than season 2. I still enjoyed season 2 immensely but season 1 was better. I'm definitely looking forward to next season and I believe i read somewhere that book 3 will be split into 2 ten episode seasons and that was confirmed. Totally necessary in order to cover all the main events since basically book 3 ends many storylines and finishes up several arcs. The Reeds have also been cast as well. Here comes little grandfather and his sister Meera. Also Bran is going to need his basket if they expect to make it north of the wall.
post #928 of 2267 Old 06-14-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

post #929 of 2267 Old 06-14-2012, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Kinda weak.
Quote:

Zombie type creatures have been around in fantasy novels long before the current fad of putting zombies in everything. In fact they were Game of Thrones long before the current fad of putting zombies in everything.

Xbox Gamertag: matteoms

Official Member of the Joy Puke Your Face Off Club.
post #930 of 2267 Old 06-14-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post

Sorry I havnt been active but I have felt lost without the iPhone app. Anyways I thought season 1 was much better than season 2. I still enjoyed season 2 immensely but season 1 was better. I'm definitely looking forward to next season and I believe i read somewhere that book 3 will be split into 2 ten episode seasons and that was confirmed. Totally necessary in order to cover all the main events since basically book 3 ends many storylines and finishes up several arcs. The Reeds have also been cast as well. Here comes little grandfather and his sister Meera. Also Bran is going to need his basket if they expect to make it north of the wall.

You've been missed. As for me I'm not sure of which season I like better. The first had the advantage for me that I had never heard of GoT before so it was all brand new. By the time of the 2nd season I had read the books so I was watching with a different mindset. I like the adaptions of both books, but for different reasons. The 1st season I was impressed most by how closely they followed the book. The most impressive part of the 2nd for me is how they weren't afraid to make changes from the book. Which, for the most part, worked, at least for me.

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page