'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD *** WARNING - Spoilers allowed *** - Page 72 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2131 of 2267 Old 06-12-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Hey, at least we don't have to worry about spoilers on the index page anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2267 Old 06-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post
Hey, at least we don't have to worry about spoilers on the index page anymore.
I stopped worrying about those

Yes I am not a fan of this forum software. Getting to the last seen post seems to be impossible. I thought clicking the little caret did it, but I'm not entirely sure.

All my last read posts have been reset with the change over. So I can't really tell.

I was underwhelmed with that last show too. I can't explain why. Maybe I just wanted other stories to make an appearance.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #2133 of 2267 Old 06-13-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
I stopped worrying about those

Yes I am not a fan of this forum software. Getting to the last seen post seems to be impossible. I thought clicking the little caret did it, but I'm not entirely sure.

All my last read posts have been reset with the change over. So I can't really tell.

I was underwhelmed with that last show too. I can't explain why. Maybe I just wanted other stories to make an appearance.

I don't know if it's just me, but it feels like activity on all threads I follow has slowed since the software change ..

And I'm glad at least a few of us felt last episode was just a tiny bit lacking .. and I did say tiny bit ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #2134 of 2267 Old 06-13-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Which books is this season based on and is it true that this season was based on the first half of one book?

post #2135 of 2267 Old 06-13-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Which books is this season based on and is it true that this season was based on the first half of one book?

The current season is loosely based on the second half of 'A Storm of Swords''

Some bits from "A Feast for Crows" .. "A Dance with Dragons" ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #2136 of 2267 Old 06-13-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 228
I was normally whelmed with a slight positive feeling.

The battle itself was really well done I thought, much better than most on the tube and actually better than a lot of movies. While it was no Pickett's charge at Gettysburg, I thought it was impactful and pretty realistic for the type of attack (stealthy storming the walls).

I think the full attack hasn't happened yet, with Stannis involved, so the real fireworks about to come.

They gave the whole "you know nothing" scene the right stage, it would have suffered from being within a battle the size of what's coming in my view. So normally whelmed and I did like several things:

• Ygritte's end
  • Jon's fighting
  • Ser Allister Thorne's losing fight
  • The initial probe by the giants beaten back
  • The climbing attack on the wall
  • How the night's watch junior members that came in with Jon stepped up
  • Janos Slynt's cravenness.
Good stuff to me, awaiting this coming episode with bated breath.
post #2137 of 2267 Old 06-13-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm a little skeptical that the finale will deal with any real additional Wildling battle .. there are so many plot points this season that could / should be touched on Sunday ..

I'm thinking maybe a quick arrival of Stannis, Rayder gets captured, Jon gets elected ..

Uncle Willie

post #2138 of 2267 Old 06-13-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 203
There is a lot of ground to cover, even with 66 minutes to do it in. I think they may have to leave some of these threads hanging until the start of season 5. I hope we get to see Stannis sweeping in to save the day but I think Jon's election may be put off until next season.
post #2139 of 2267 Old 06-13-2014, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Fathers' DAY!!!
post #2140 of 2267 Old 06-14-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post
Fathers' DAY!!!

Interesting .. do you think HBO planned it that way .. ?? A gift for Tywin .. ??
Wytchone and John dhein like this.

Uncle Willie

post #2141 of 2267 Old 06-14-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I'm a little skeptical that the finale will deal with any real additional Wildling battle .. there are so many plot points this season that could / should be touched on Sunday ..

I'm thinking maybe a quick arrival of Stannis, Rayder gets captured, Jon gets elected ..
Seems like they'd spend little time at the Wall in ep10, given the entire ep9 was there.
I could be wrong - those are important events, esp Stannis.
post #2142 of 2267 Old 06-14-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post
Fathers' DAY!!!
We'll find out if your father craps gold.
John dhein likes this.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #2143 of 2267 Old 06-15-2014, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 37
That was better than I could have hoped for. I think the differences from books where actually better (e.g. brienne vs. clegor). You can see the future faceless one in Arya.

I loved the full orchestra version of the theme to close out the episode. Beautiful.

Last edited by jabbathespud; 06-15-2014 at 08:19 PM.
post #2144 of 2267 Old 06-15-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Very well done, but I do wish they had taken a few minutes for Jamie to tell Tyrion the truth about the wife he had when he was younger. It would have added to the poignancy, and provided the guilt incentive for Jamie to help Tyrion escape.

Last edited by RobertR; 06-15-2014 at 09:01 PM.
post #2145 of 2267 Old 06-15-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

We didn't get Lady Stoneheart which I thought was essential. Jojen wasn't supposed to die. Did a reasonably good job wrapping up. They also have Varys on the ship which is new.

post #2146 of 2267 Old 06-15-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

The nonappearance of Lady Stoneheart wasn't a big deal to me. That can easily be shown next season.
post #2147 of 2267 Old 06-15-2014, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
They also have Varys on the ship which is new.
That was interesting. A big "what Now" in a sense.

Pleased with the ender in general.
post #2148 of 2267 Old 06-16-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
Very well done, but I do wish they had taken a few minutes for Jamie to tell Tyrion the truth about the wife he had when he was younger. It would have added to the poignancy, and provided the guilt incentive for Jamie to help Tyrion escape.
Yes I keep waiting on that but to save time I guess they cut it out. Does not make Shae's death any less tragic but would have helped.

Now we wait a year....sigh
post #2149 of 2267 Old 06-16-2014, 08:55 AM

I don't find Shae's death tragic, so much as fitting. I believe that Shae had been working/spying for Tywin since the very first time Tyrion met her.

She was a whore. Why did she immediately latch onto Tyrion? Because Tywin paid her to. Why was she so good in the witness stand at his trial? Because she had been acting all along.

She betrayed Tyrion, at least twice, in that world, her death was fitting.
post #2150 of 2267 Old 06-16-2014, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I can totally see Varys traveling with Tyrion for the next season or two, then meeting up with "AT" in Essos for an eventual return as the rightful heir. But still, GRRM still has to hash that out in the next two books. Varys pretty much disappeared in books 4 and 5 until the end when he confronted Kevan Lannister.

-- David
post #2151 of 2267 Old 06-16-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Just a very well done finale ..

Shae wanted some sort of public recognition by Tyrion .. I believe she did love him, or at least care for him fairly deeply especially early on .. I'll not really miss her as to me anyway, she was more of a sideline character ..

I will miss Ygritte .. I always felt like the line "You know nothing, Jon Snow" had some sort of cryptic hidden meaning of some sort .. Rose Leslie did an excellent job with the role .. Ygritte was part of the female faction that refused to give in to the normal female duties in Westeros and blazed her own path right along side the men .. she truly did love Jon Snow till the end ..

Uncle Willie

post #2152 of 2267 Old 06-16-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Shae was in love with Tyrion. I am 100% sure of that. But with her turning during the trial and feeling hurt due to the marriage she turned to Tywin. Jamie did not tell Tyrion that his first wife was a whore he set him up with. Then keep quiet when his father pimped her out. This was the motivation for Tyrion to go looking for his dad, fine Shae and well loose it.
post #2153 of 2267 Old 06-16-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post
Shae was in love with Tyrion. I am 100% sure of that. But with her turning during the trial and feeling hurt due to the marriage she turned to Tywin. Jamie did not tell Tyrion that his first wife was a whore he set him up with. Then keep quiet when his father pimped her out. This was the motivation for Tyrion to go looking for his dad, fine Shae and well loose it.
Maybe I'm not understanding your post here. Jaime did not set Tyrion up with a whore for the first wife. Tywin made Jaime tell Tyrion that his first wife (Tysha) was a whore and, after passing her around to guards and then Tyrion, Tywin sent her away. Tyrion was in love with his first wife. Tyrion demanded to know where Tysha was and Tywin told him that she was "wherever whores go." That was the reason that Tyrion killed Tywin. Jaime had revealed this secret (that Tysha was in fact not a whore) when he freed Tyrion from the cell.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Tysha

I actually think that the show did better leaving this out. It is a bit more petty motivation than Tywin's maltreatment and hatred of Tyrion throughout his life. I liked that Jaime was the one true brother for him and that they left on good terms without Tyrion claiming to have actually killed Joffrey like he did in the book to hurt Jaime.

post #2154 of 2267 Old 06-16-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The more I think about, the more this seems like a major omission. The way it played out on TV, there was not only not that much motivation to send Tyrion over the edge, there was also nothing to send Jamie over the edge regarding his motivation to help Tyrion escape.

Quote:
I actually think that the show did better leaving this out. It is a bit more petty motivation than Tywin's maltreatment and hatred of Tyrion throughout his life.
I don't consider it petty. Tyrion has wanted to be loved and accepted for who he is all his life. To discover that Tysha really DID love him would have been emotionally crushing, and would have been the motivation to put him in a killing rage.

Last edited by RobertR; 06-16-2014 at 09:48 AM.
post #2155 of 2267 Old 06-16-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe I'm not understanding your post here. Jaime did not set Tyrion up with a whore for the first wife. Tywin made Jaime tell Tyrion that his first wife (Tysha) was a whore and, after passing her around to guards and then Tyrion, Tywin sent her away. Tyrion was in love with his first wife. Tyrion demanded to know where Tysha was and Tywin told him that she was "wherever whores go." That was the reason that Tyrion killed Tywin. Jaime had revealed this secret (that Tysha was in fact not a whore) when he freed Tyrion from the cell.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Tysha

I actually think that the show did better leaving this out. It is a bit more petty motivation than Tywin's maltreatment and hatred of Tyrion throughout his life. I liked that Jaime was the one true brother for him and that they left on good terms without Tyrion claiming to have actually killed Joffrey like he did in the book to hurt Jaime.
You are right but thats what I mean, just a few min more and it make sense Tyrion would go looking for Tywin. Good ,bad, its done but for a few people asking me questions it would have been nice. Still good parting with Jamie is always nice.
post #2156 of 2267 Old 06-16-2014, 10:45 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you kidding me? He pimped out his wife as a whore, so they gang raped his wife in front of him. You call that petty motivation?

Tyrion still had tons of money to throw around, served as hand for a small bit. Lived in high society, even though he was second class just because of his body.
Wytchone likes this.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #2157 of 2267 Old 06-16-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
Quote:

Are you kidding me? He pimped out his wife as a whore, so they gang raped his wife in front of him. You call that petty motivation?

Tyrion still had tons of money to throw around, served as hand for a small bit. Lived in high society, even though he was second class just because of his body.
You guys are not getting me. Tyrion has a ton of reasons to be pissed off and knock off his pa on the privy. Yes that is a reason that would make him angry. It just seemed like such a comic book villain thing on top of everything else. If it isn't part of the tv show, that's fine with me.

post #2158 of 2267 Old 06-16-2014, 11:25 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

I think leaving it out hurts his motivation, or hurts the masses (TV watchers)getting behind his motivation. Gang raping your wife, is pretty good motivation.

Convincing you your wife is a whore, gang raping her, then whatever happened after, I can't remember. Then having your new actual whore girlfriend betray you in court, then sleeping with your most hated family member.

I don't feel as emotional about that kill because he called shae a whore 2 times and because daddy didn't like him. Add the 1st wife reason in and everyone is rooting for it.

I did love the cooter kick in the fight scene. The scream seemed justifiable for such an act, it made me laugh. I have mixed feelings about that change from the book. In the books no one knows Arya is still alive, now 2 people know it. Will that change anything down the line?

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #2159 of 2267 Old 06-16-2014, 11:29 AM

Tyrion's father sentenced him to death for a crime he did not commit to punish him further for murdering Tywin's wife, which was another crime that Tyrion WAS NOT GUILTY OF. Jamie is the only Lanister that does not blame Tyrion for their mother's death. The way Tywin treated him is the main reason Cersei tortured him as a baby. As Tyrion said, Tywin had wanted Tyrion dead since the day he was born. Tywin has been driving Tyrion to murder fratricide since his first breath.

He was killing Tywin as soon as he turned away from the stairway in the first place. Calling a whore a whore was just an excuse.
post #2160 of 2267 Old 06-16-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
GRRM explains:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/16/ga...finale-martin/

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page