'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD *** WARNING - Spoilers allowed *** - Page 76 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2251 of 2267 Old 10-22-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
Check out the set pics floating around the Internet. Some big, big changes from the books happening this season. Even though this is the spoilers allowed thread I'm afraid to discuss them as some folks freak out about that kind of thing. But let's just say who goes to Dorne (which has already been speculated here) is a change and what happens across the narrow sea is a BIG change.

Since "A Feast For Crows" departs from GRRM's normal chapter routine, I fully expect the upcoming season to either be a delight or a disappointment to the show fans .. keeping in mind that Book 4 Book primarily deals with Sam Tarley, Cersei, Brienne, Arya, Seastone Chair, Dorne , Jaime Lannister, Sansa, Victarion Greyjoy, Areo Hotah, Kings Moot ..etc .. the two most popular characters on the show are missing .. and HBO is likely going to change things up from the book fairly dramatically ..

Unless HBO decides to co-mingle books 4 and 5 ..

I'd meant to post a while back and forgot .. I re-read book 4 and 5 for the 3rd time after the last season, and a small amount of Book 4 was actually in the last season ..
Phil17108 likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2267 Old 10-22-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Since "A Feast For Crows" departs from GRRM's normal chapter routine, I fully expect the upcoming season to either be a delight or a disappointment to the show fans .. keeping in mind that Book 4 Book primarily deals with Sam Tarley, Cersei, Brienne, Arya, Seastone Chair, Dorne , Jaime Lannister, Sansa, Victarion Greyjoy, Areo Hotah, Kings Moot ..etc .. the two most popular characters on the show are missing .. and HBO is likely going to change things up from the book fairly dramatically ..

Unless HBO decides to co-mingle books 4 and 5 ..

I'd meant to post a while back and forgot .. I re-read book 4 and 5 for the 3rd time after the last season, and a small amount of Book 4 was actually in the last season ..
Books 4 and 5 cover the same timeline so I would expect some co-mingling. Bran's story is already pretty much done for Books 4 and 5 so don't expect to see him or Hodor! Hodor! Dany's story is pretty much stuck in Meereen other than the political problems and dragonquest she does. I don't know if the show will include the Dorne visitors or not. Not much happens with Jamie or Sansa. Cersei has a good story line as does Theon, Tyrion, Arya, Ramsey and Asha. Jon Snow has some stuff. So most of the stuff that occurs may be in Dorne which is a bit of a risky proposition to add new characters on a show like this. Frankly, this is where I thought GRRM started to go out of control.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #2253 of 2267 Old 10-22-2014, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Uh... no book talk, please?
post #2254 of 2267 Old 10-22-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
Books 4 and 5 cover the same timeline so I would expect some co-mingling. Bran's story is already pretty much done for Books 4 and 5 so don't expect to see him or Hodor! Hodor! Dany's story is pretty much stuck in Meereen other than the political problems and dragonquest she does. I don't know if the show will include the Dorne visitors or not. Not much happens with Jamie or Sansa. Cersei has a good story line as does Theon, Tyrion, Arya, Ramsey and Asha. Jon Snow has some stuff. So most of the stuff that occurs may be in Dorne which is a bit of a risky proposition to add new characters on a show like this. Frankly, this is where I thought GRRM started to go out of control.
After re-reading again, I still think Book 4 is the weakest by far .. Kings Moot was really pretty useless IMO .. the Dorne sideline with Myrcella useless, Brienne's journey was kinda interesting especially with Nimble Dick and Biter .. Jaime and Riverrun was OK ..

I'm guessing we'll see much more Dorne and the Faith Militant .. and the High Septon has to be the poor septon Brienne ran into on the Rosby Road ..

Like I said, I believe Season 5 will either delight fans or there could be some rumbling .. just depends on how much liberty David Benioff and D.B. Weiss decide to take ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #2255 of 2267 Old 10-22-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post
Uh... no book talk, please?
This is the thread book readers use .. any and all discussion is allowed ..

Uncle Willie

post #2256 of 2267 Old 10-22-2014, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
This is the thread book readers use .. any and all discussion is allowed ..
OMG I'm an idiot. I'm in the wrong thread!! My apologies!!!
post #2257 of 2267 Old 10-23-2014, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
After re-reading again, I still think Book 4 is the weakest by far .. Kings Moot was really pretty useless IMO .. the Dorne sideline with Myrcella useless, Brienne's journey was kinda interesting especially with Nimble Dick and Biter .. Jaime and Riverrun was OK ..

I'm guessing we'll see much more Dorne and the Faith Militant .. and the High Septon has to be the poor septon Brienne ran into on the Rosby Road ..

Like I said, I believe Season 5 will either delight fans or there could be some rumbling .. just depends on how much liberty David Benioff and D.B. Weiss decide to take ..
If as I've heard GRRM is going to be less present so as to devote himself to the next book, there will be more influence from the two D's.

Supposedly 4 and 5 were written as one huge opus anyways, then split (more bifurcated) for publishing purposes, so merging them a la Godfather II in the redone version for TV may actually improve the whole thing.

The whole Dorne trio to Daenerys was weak in my opinion, so no great loss if that's voided.

Now Tyrion on his way there is filled with possibilities.
Phil17108 likes this.
post #2258 of 2267 Old 10-23-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
If as I've heard GRRM is going to be less present so as to devote himself to the next book, there will be more influence from the two D's.

Supposedly 4 and 5 were written as one huge opus anyways, then split (more bifurcated) for publishing purposes, so merging them a la Godfather II in the redone version for TV may actually improve the whole thing.

The whole Dorne trio to Daenerys was weak in my opinion, so no great loss if that's voided.

Now Tyrion on his way there is filled with possibilities.
Yeah, GRRM is supposedly not going to be involved at all .. as well as a big cut back on his "touring" the Conventions and what not .. one of the problems with Book 6 is GRRM basking in his success and refusing to write a word unless he was at home in Santa Fe ..

Large portions of Book 4 could get skipped, IMO .. but the problem with that is how far do they go into Book 5 .. ?? Even when GRRM finishes Book 6, it still has to be edited .. and he's stated he's shooting for an end of 2015 Book 6 finish .. then send it in for editing ..

Yes, Tyrions Journey should be very, very interesting ..

Uncle Willie

post #2259 of 2267 Old 10-23-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Yeah, GRRM is supposedly not going to be involved at all .. as well as a big cut back on his "touring" the Conventions and what not .. one of the problems with Book 6 is GRRM basking in his success and refusing to write a word unless he was at home in Santa Fe ..

Large portions of Book 4 could get skipped, IMO .. but the problem with that is how far do they go into Book 5 .. ?? Even when GRRM finishes Book 6, it still has to be edited .. and he's stated he's shooting for an end of 2015 Book 6 finish .. then send it in for editing ..

Yes, Tyrions Journey should be very, very interesting ..
Well, we're supposedly slated for seven seasons... we're going into season 5, so no way they can cover 4 + 5 + 6 and possibly 7th books at 10 episodes per season during that time.

Maybe HBO does the seven seasons and then "TADA!!!" a GoT finale as a four hour motion picture released on their online subscription service in 2017 ... ! <-- pure rumormongering here, absolutely no knowledge being used.
post #2260 of 2267 Old 10-23-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Well, we're supposedly slated for seven seasons... we're going into season 5, so no way they can cover 4 + 5 + 6 and possibly 7th books at 10 episodes per season during that time.

Maybe HBO does the seven seasons and then "TADA!!!" a GoT finale as a four hour motion picture released on their online subscription service in 2017 ... ! <-- pure rumormongering here, absolutely no knowledge being used.
If I were a betting man, I'd bet HBO will refuse to budge from 7 seasons .. at $60 million a Season average cost, with no real bump in subscribers and the most pirated show on TV, the suits at HBO are not going to add any additional seasons .. Movie .. ?? Maybe a possibility, who knows, but GRRM is the drag here .. problem being he keeps trying to top himself, the timeframe is already out so long .. I just hope we don't end up in a scenario where D&D decide to work into material that has yet to come to print based on the outline GRRM gave them .. as a reader, that would just plain suck ..

Uncle Willie

post #2261 of 2267 Old 10-23-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
If I were a betting man, I'd bet HBO will refuse to budge from 7 seasons .. at $60 million a Season average cost, with no real bump in subscribers and the most pirated show on TV, the suits at HBO are not going to add any additional seasons .. Movie .. ?? Maybe a possibility, who knows, but GRRM is the drag here .. problem being he keeps trying to top himself, the timeframe is already out so long .. I just hope we don't end up in a scenario where D&D decide to work into material that has yet to come to print based on the outline GRRM gave them .. as a reader, that would just plain suck ..
I agree that HBO will most likely stick to the 7 seasons, but I think its mainly because the story will have run its course. HBO gained 2 million subscribers in 2013 when overall cable subscriptions fell. Their other highly rated show, True Blood saw its numbers drop by almost a million viewers (lowest since 2008). I think its pretty clear that Game of Thrones is providing a bump or at the very least, preventing a drop in subscriber numbers.

The best premium shows will always have the highest piracy rate and HBO knows there is nothing they can do about that.

Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes earlier this year ...

“Basically, we’ve been dealing with this issue for years with HBO, literally 20, 30 years, where people have always been running wires down on the back of apartment buildings and sharing with their neighbors,” he said. “Our experience is, it all leads to more penetration, more paying subs, more health for HBO, less reliance on having to do paid advertising… If you go around the world, I think you’re right, Game of Thrones is the most pirated show in the world. Well, you know, that’s better than an Emmy.”
post #2262 of 2267 Old 10-23-2014, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 54
It's 2 seasons or 3 depending on how much of book 4 and 5 need to be blended to have a TV series time line. I think take the meat from 4 and the first 2/3's 5 for season 5 then what is left for 6. Without book 6 it's just sort of a roll of the dice to guess at whats coming, bet that the producers have a good idea about book 6. I am half way through book 5 on a not stop reread of Song of Ice and Fire and thinking that I must have missed a chapter here and there using a Kindle, and has they say there is more to be revealed.
post #2263 of 2267 Old 10-23-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post
OMG I'm an idiot. I'm in the wrong thread!! My apologies!!!
Thanks for your correction! I was going out of my mind until you explained your mistake, it was most considerate of you.
Flambe likes this.
post #2264 of 2267 Old 11-03-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Sorry, but that's going to happen. Next season will be five, so they're *going* to finish the series before his final book gets done, just no way around that. It wouldn't surprise me if they finished the series before Winds of Winter comes out.

Quote:
I just hope we don't end up in a scenario where D&D decide to work into material that has yet to come to print based on the outline GRRM gave them .. as a reader, that would just plain suck ..

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #2265 of 2267 Old 11-03-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w View Post
Sorry, but that's going to happen. Next season will be five, so they're *going* to finish the series before his final book gets done, just no way around that. It wouldn't surprise me if they finished the series before Winds of Winter comes out.
This coming season starts with Book 4, in fact, a few Book 4 bits were in last season, but not much .. and, as you know, Book 4 and 5 were split up much differently than the past ..

Problem is, although GRRM promised to stay off the set and get back to work, he's back to the talk show circuit and what not now .. the man cannot stay away from the spotlight .. and that's the biggest problem of all .. still an end of 2015 projection for Book 6 ..

Uncle Willie

post #2266 of 2267 Old 11-03-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Well said, I completely agree.

Quote:
Problem is, although GRRM promised to stay off the set and get back to work, he's back to the talk show circuit and what not now .. the man cannot stay away from the spotlight .. and that's the biggest problem of all .. still an end of 2015 projection for Book 6 ..

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #2267 of 2267 Old 11-04-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm about 2/3rds of the way through Book 5 now (having read part of Book 4 a long time ago and gave up due to boredom) and so far it seems abundantly clear that this book can easily fit into half of a season. This upcoming season will cover the rest of books 4 & 5, with possibly some book 6 material.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page