'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD *** WARNING - Spoilers allowed *** - Page 77 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #2281 of 2289 Unread 03-24-2015, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Weiss & Benioff admitting that the show will pass the books, or at least some elements of the books certainly was not a surprise .. HBO is going to stick to that original 7 season plan, and at 60 million cost per season and the 15 million they pay GRRM, I can't say I blame them .. maybe HBO will move onto some Bernard Cornwell, who is a much superior writer than GRRM anyway ..

I finished my 3rd read a couple months back, and I have to say, it was a struggle to read 4 and 5 again .. they are just downright boring in many places .. the books could easily have been edited down to one volume ..

I don't think GRRM much cares one way or the other .. he's made a ton of money, he's the Lord of the Nerds, his convention appearances will always have him in demand, where he is worshipped .. in fact, George would rather just stay out on the road, live on set at GOT, make TV appearances, blog about the New York Jets .. etc .. that's exactly why the book series is in the shambles that it's in .. he refuses to write anywhere but at his desk in Santa Fe ..

When I met him many years ago, the man I thought he was seems to be no longer .. After so many years of reading and studying everything he has written, following his blog .. I am pretty much convinced GRRM has changed greatly .. I suppose most would, given the circumstances ..

At this point, I simply don't care if HBO wraps up the show before even Volume 6 comes out .. or, as some have speculated, goes beyond 7 seasons .. which I am sure GRRM would be happy with ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 2289 Unread 03-24-2015, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 358
^^
I'm not as cynical about GRRM as that but I am seriously disappointed that while fans are anxiously waiting for #6 , he's writing side books, at conventions, living in his fame. Can't blame him for enjoying his fame & fortune from the books & show but at the same time, IMO his number 1 priority should be to finish the books for those who've invested their time in the story, not attend Comicon conventions and write tangential offshoots & other non-related material. If he can write a backstory for Westeros then he could well have invested that time in Winds of Winter!

I read last week where he actually said he was not attending a convention because he had too many irons in the fire. There's hope.

I fully expect HBO to finish the series long before #7 is published. And that's OK by me, as long as they are using Martin's plot outlines to do it. I started reading book 1 either during or after season 2 and completed Dance a yr ago. So it doesn't bother me to see the show completed before the books. At the same time, I don't want to be 70+ by the time he's published #7 ; I'm 65 now!

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 03-24-2015 at 03:47 PM.
post #2283 of 2289 Unread 03-24-2015, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
^^
I'm not as cynical about GRRM as that but I am seriously disappointed that while fans are anxiously waiting for #6 , he's writing side books, at conventions, living in his fame. Can't blame him for enjoying his fame & fortune from the books & show but at the same time, his number 1 priority should be to finish the books for those who've invested their time in the story, not attend Comicon conventions.

I read last week where he actually said he was not attending a convention because he had too many irons in the fire. There's hope.

I fully expect HBO to finish the series long before #7 is published. And that's OK by me, as long as they are using Martin's plot outlines to do it. I started reading book 1 either during or after season 2 and completed Dance a yr ago. So it doesn't bother me to see the show completed before the books. At the same time, I don't want to be 70+ by the time he's published #7 ; I'm 65 now!
His Con schedule is on his blog ... as well as plenty of self aggrandizing other material .. HBO will do a fine job with the material, I have no doubt, with or without GRRM .. they will intro a few new Characters, but concentrate on what the fans have come to expect ..

I am slightly older thus my cynicism may be more developed ..
JudgeSmails likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #2284 of 2289 Unread Yesterday, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
^^
I'm not as cynical about GRRM as that but I am seriously disappointed that while fans are anxiously waiting for #6 , he's writing side books, at conventions, living in his fame. Can't blame him for enjoying his fame & fortune from the books & show but at the same time, IMO his number 1 priority should be to finish the books for those who've invested their time in the story, not attend Comicon conventions and write tangential offshoots & other non-related material. If he can write a backstory for Westeros then he could well have invested that time in Winds of Winter!

I would be happy to have to make 80 for the last one. I just hope HE can make it till I'm 80.
post #2285 of 2289 Unread Yesterday, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 478
I'm actually pretty Ok with the way things are working out. I consider the last two books to be parallel; I thought they were written as one humongous tome and then separated after birth.

So whatever blending they do will be an improvement to me, probably enough to carry 1+ seasons. Or not - I've gotten such a kick from the series that I don't mind things like Stoneheart not being on the scene and the maid keepin' on.

Given all of the wonderful ideas I'm sure the producers heard from 'interested parties' with money, I think they've been pretty faithful to the books, at least to the spirit of the books.

REALLY looking forward to the vipers coming on the scene. Just like dangerous women, Ok?
Phil17108 likes this.
post #2286 of 2289 Unread Yesterday, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I can see books 4 & 5 taking 2 seasons easy, shuffling the chapters together, to keep a time line moving parallel. It did take 2 seasons for book 3.

Maisie Williams (Arya) was on Kimmel last night and as long as she does not get to tall they can pull this off. Plus she gets new threads. For the first time she may even look like a Lady Stark but look out for stinger.
post #2287 of 2289 Unread Today, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't think they are going to go into the Kings Moot, Sam going to Oldtown, the Ironborn / Reach storyline and more .. throw that out and you've eliminated a large portion of books 4 and 5 ..

Uncle Willie

post #2288 of 2289 Unread Today, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I don't think they are going to go into the Kings Moot, Sam going to Oldtown, the Ironborn / Reach storyline and more .. throw that out and you've eliminated a large portion of books 4 and 5 ..
You've still got massive amounts of stuff going on though. The whole Martell clan goings on, vipers here and there, vipers everywhere, they haven't even really gotten into the slave cities and the once and future khaleesi, Tyrion's travails, the wall and John, the whole three eyed crow (I will have the beer to go with that), whatever happens to Brienne, never mind Arya's coming of age as a lethal teen. The reach will become active and I don't think the Ironborn story will die out.

And in the middle of all of that Varys and Littlefinger playing chess with all the pieces. And you know that the Khaleesi has to invade. With dragons.

I'm not sure how they seal all of it up in seven seasons.
post #2289 of 2289 Unread Today, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
You've still got massive amounts of stuff going on though. The whole Martell clan goings on, vipers here and there, vipers everywhere, they haven't even really gotten into the slave cities and the once and future khaleesi, Tyrion's travails, the wall and John, the whole three eyed crow (I will have the beer to go with that), whatever happens to Brienne, never mind Arya's coming of age as a lethal teen. The reach will become active and I don't think the Ironborn story will die out.

And in the middle of all of that Varys and Littlefinger playing chess with all the pieces. And you know that the Khaleesi has to invade. With dragons.

I'm not sure how they seal all of it up in seven seasons.
Oh. I'm sure we'll get a good dose of Dorne .. Dany and Meereen is really all in book five .. I'm hoping they do a good job with Arya and the House of Black and White .. and I'm really looking forward to Tyrion's journey / Penny / ...

Uncle Willie

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com