'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD *** WARNING - Spoilers allowed *** - Page 79 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #2341 of 2841 Old 04-15-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
To me, the biggest change that the show is making versus the books is how they are setting the entire world/story as the battle between Littlefinger, who wants ever more chaos, versus Varys, who wants more order.

This is not so in the books. Yes, the book Littlefinger wants more chaos as well, but Varys is not really an adversary, at least not yet.

Varys becoming the central character on the show is definitely a huge change from the book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 2841 Old 04-15-2015, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post
Books 1 and 2 were a season each. Book 3 was 2 seasons. Books 4 and 5 have a shared time line until that last third of book 5 with all plot lines moving forward together.
The TV show I think will be 2 seasons with the point of view being time lined to gether and with out regard to the book the event takes place in until that last third or so of season 6. Books 4 & 5 both have cliffhangers that need a new book or 2 to finish the thing.
Book 3 didn't quite take 2 seasons. There was actually a good chunk of books 4 and 5 in the last 2 seasons, so they are already ahead of the game there, add in the fact that there is a lot that could be condensed from those books, and I don't see them taking 2 seasons. Sansa is already beyond her book 5 storyline (though whether or not her story this season is going to be winds of winter material or something else, such as a replacement for Lady Stoneheart in some capacity, I don't know.). Of course, Jon still has a little bit of book 3 left in his story. From the previews, it looks like Tyrion might be further along than the end of book 5 (it's definitely changed some). I could see some parts from the books going to late in season 6, Jon in particular, but other parts of the story will be moving ahead further. I can definitely see 7 seasons total.

The Hodor Theater - In Progress
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000U
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT
Surround/Back Speakers - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M
Subwoofers - Dual Passive JTR Captivator Pros
Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR608
post #2343 of 2841 Old 04-15-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post
Varys becoming the central character on the show is definitely a huge change from the book.
After Varys's part in Tyrion's escape and Tywin's murder, he essentially disappears, reappearing in "A Dance with Dragons" .. watching this weeks episode made me wonder if Vary's will join Tyrion on the voyage to Volantis .. or maybe they will change it to just a Meereen voyage .. ??

.. and, considering Aegon Targaryen / Young Griff was a fairly major player, I wonder what part he may have this season .. if any ..

Things just look like this season may be the most major departure from the books we've seen yet ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #2344 of 2841 Old 04-15-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
To me, the biggest change that the show is making versus the books is how they are setting the entire world/story as the battle between Littlefinger, who wants ever more chaos, versus Varys, who wants more order.

This is not so in the books. Yes, the book Littlefinger wants more chaos as well, but Varys is not really an adversary, at least not yet.

While I enjoy their interplay, remember the object lesson Cersei gave Littlefinger on power when he tried to blackmail her with her children's origin.

Suddenly ordering his death and changing her mind just before it happened is a sure way to get the attention of a puppet master - either Littlefinger or Varys. I think Varys is much better at it because he recognizes this.

Now she has her flaws and all, but that was a straight show of major c0j0nes.
post #2345 of 2841 Old 04-15-2015, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

This is making more and more sense to me (and really interesting)...

The show is now setting up the end stage where you have a one-on-one chess match (the ultimate Game of Thrones). On one side, you have Littlefinger who wants more and more chaos. On the other side, you have Varys who wants to restore order.

Even more interesting parallel to chess, each player is relying on their queen pieces. Varys is trying to restore order by using Danearys, who must control the uncontrollable (chaos) - Dragons - if she is to become a queen. Littlefinger is relying on Sansa, who must overcome Stark's natural tendency to be good and faithful (orderly?) to restore her family's claims by becoming darker and darker.

I am guessing this is ultimately where the books are going as well, but the TV show is now well ahead in this end-game.
post #2346 of 2841 Old 04-15-2015, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Things just look like this season may be the most major departure from the books we've seen yet ..
We've been told about this potential many times, so I embrace the show. Why not? The source material
is so good, it can handle this "Adaptation" and still play well.
post #2347 of 2841 Old 04-15-2015, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post
I have hated supporting Cox and their packages. No more reason to own the box for just HBO and when it worked well I got to close that relationship. Personal preference especially when quality was the same.
Cox isn't sitting on billions of dollars while exploiting slave & child labor overseas to fatten those billions even more.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #2348 of 2841 Old 04-16-2015, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Amazon is offering a Free GOT Android game today ..

http://www.amazon.com/Telltale-Games...e+Games+Series

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #2349 of 2841 Old 04-16-2015, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
Book 3 didn't quite take 2 seasons. There was actually a good chunk of books 4 and 5 in the last 2 seasons, so they are already ahead of the game there, add in the fact that there is a lot that could be condensed from those books, and I don't see them taking 2 seasons. Sansa is already beyond her book 5 storyline (though whether or not her story this season is going to be winds of winter material or something else, such as a replacement for Lady Stoneheart in some capacity, I don't know.). Of course, Jon still has a little bit of book 3 left in his story. From the previews, it looks like Tyrion might be further along than the end of book 5 (it's definitely changed some). I could see some parts from the books going to late in season 6, Jon in particular, but other parts of the story will be moving ahead further. I can definitely see 7 seasons total.
Yes that is right, 7 seasons for what is in print now. I find the most intriguing point of view characters to be the Starks. In book 3, the young wolf is on the march to the twine tower's with his Lords of the North, he and they changed Jon's name from Snow to Stark to have a future heir to Winterfell and the Kings of the North. The document signed by them was sent someplace??. I wonder how that plays out at some point in the next 2 books. Just what is Arya up to, after all she is the only point of view character that's in all 5 books. And so it goes, as for characters like Littlefinger and/or Varys are needed parts for the story but not the story's point.
post #2350 of 2841 Old 04-16-2015, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Yes that is right, 7 seasons for what is in print now. I find the most intriguing point of view characters to be the Starks. In book 3, the young wolf is on the march to the twine tower's with his Lords of the North, he and they changed Jon's name from Snow to Stark to have a future heir to Winterfell and the Kings of the North. The document signed by them was sent someplace??. I wonder how that plays out at some point in the next 2 books. Just what is Arya up to, after all she is the only point of view character that's in all 5 books. And so it goes, as for characters like Littlefinger and/or Varys are needed parts for the story but not the story's point.
I meant 7 seasons total. Even if they end up doing 8 seasons, they'll definitely be well beyond book 5 by the end of season 6.

The Hodor Theater - In Progress
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000U
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT
Surround/Back Speakers - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M
Subwoofers - Dual Passive JTR Captivator Pros
Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR608
post #2351 of 2841 Old 04-16-2015, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I meant 7 seasons total. Even if they end up doing 8 seasons, they'll definitely be well beyond book 5 by the end of season 6.
I am looking forward to the last 2 books to come. The show is making big money and I bet the last 2 books will to
post #2352 of 2841 Old 04-17-2015, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am looking forward to the last 2 books to come. The show is making big money and I bet the last 2 books will to
Assuming they ever make it to print
post #2353 of 2841 Old 04-17-2015, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post
Assuming they ever make it to print
I think the producers probably already laid out a timeline with George R.R. - given the way he works, probably only one book if any will be written before the show is done.
post #2354 of 2841 Old 04-18-2015, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I think the producers probably already laid out a timeline with George R.R. - given the way he works, probably only one book if any will be written before the show is done.
This is exactly correct .. B&W have a complete set of GRRM notes outlining the story to the end .. it's one of the reasons they have gone on record stating 7 seasons have already been mapped out and they know the ending ..

GRRM : He thinks he needs to top himself with each new book, thus prolonging the writing process and creating ever longer books filled with incomplete bits .. He will only write in his Office .. He spends way too much time on the road at Conventions, Talk Shows, Blogging, etc ... He is 66 Years Old and not in the best of health .. and, he has agreed to develop another HBO show called "Captain Cosmos"..

What's likely to happen is a "The Wheel of Time" scenario / Robert Jordan .. there are quite a few similarities ..

Uncle Willie

post #2355 of 2841 Old 04-18-2015, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This is exactly correct .. B&W have a complete set of GRRM notes outlining the story to the end .. it's one of the reasons they have gone on record stating 7 seasons have already been mapped out and they know the ending ..

GRRM : He thinks he needs to top himself with each new book, thus prolonging the writing process and creating ever longer books filled with incomplete bits .. He will only write in his Office .. He spends way too much time on the road at Conventions, Talk Shows, Blogging, etc ... He is 66 Years Old and not in the best of health .. and, he has agreed to develop another HBO show called "Captain Cosmos"..

What's likely to happen is a "The Wheel of Time" scenario / Robert Jordan .. there are quite a few similarities ..
I was thinking that, but hopeful that both the series and the books finish well. And that he's around for quite a bit of time (I know, hopeful - but he's given us a great world).

In my view, the producers have done well to stay within the lines of the books, some things are different but haven't detracted from the whole thing.
post #2356 of 2841 Old 04-19-2015, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Wow Only 3 things in the entire show actually happened in the books: Arya goes to the House of Black and White, Jon Snow gets offered Winterfell by Stanis and Jon Snow gets elected leader of the Night's Watch.

The rest is off the map.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #2357 of 2841 Old 04-19-2015, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow... I don't know what to say. Jaime is going to Dorne? That means he is going to be in great danger. I thought he was becoming more and more of a responsible ruler in the book's plot. This is a definitely a curve ball.Kevan going back to Casterly Rock is consistent with the book, but you are right. The show is going off the rails.
post #2358 of 2841 Old 04-20-2015, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wow... I don't know what to say. Jaime is going to Dorne? That means he is going to be in great danger. I thought he was becoming more and more of a responsible ruler in the book's plot. This is a definitely a curve ball.Kevan going back to Casterly Rock is consistent with the book, but you are right. The show is going off the rails.
Or just switching tracks ???

The absence of the Arianne Martel story (with her doting whitecloak knight Arys Oakheart) means that you need some other story to put pressure on Dorne to turn over an uninjured Myrcella.

In the books, she's seriously injured by Gerold Dayne and Balon Swann from the Kingsguard has been dispatched to bring her home. In the show, it seems that either Jaime, Bron or both will go to bring her home.

Not that different, but does cut out the romantic thread of Arianne, which they probably thought was unproductive, since the point is the conflict over Myrcella.
post #2359 of 2841 Old 04-20-2015, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I can't wait for the Jaime and Bronn road trip!!

David Forbes

Read excerpts, see cover art and more from my novels at www.davidforbes.net.

My theater
post #2360 of 2841 Old 04-20-2015, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Cool, I like the Jaime and Bronn characters, 180 apart yet just the same, both liked the half man. Better having Jaime running around Dorne then lost in the Riverlands. The sand snacks my prove to be a real challenge for Jaime, after all he is still bonded to Cersei by love and as lover.
post #2361 of 2841 Old 04-20-2015, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Perhaps some of it has already happened.... Martin gives the outline of the plot and he has someone else writes the ending "books" for him. Just in this case, the writers are HBO's screenwriters. He gets the money, fame, and doesn't have to do any pesky bookwriting. Seems like a good deal.
post #2362 of 2841 Old 04-20-2015, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Wadsworth View Post
Perhaps some of it has already happened.... Martin gives the outline of the plot and he has someone else writes the ending "books" for him. Just in this case, the writers are HBO's screenwriters. He gets the money, fame, and doesn't have to do any pesky bookwriting. Seems like a good deal.
I don't know on the books, but he has given the show producers pretty much a broad brush .. and as evidenced by the way Season 5 is going, they are going to use it ..

Uncle Willie

post #2363 of 2841 Old 04-20-2015, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Cool, I like the Jaime and Bronn characters, 180 apart yet just the same, both liked the half man. Better having Jaime running around Dorne then lost in the Riverlands. The sand snacks my prove to be a real challenge for Jaime, after all he is still bonded to Cersei by love and as lover.
I know it's a typo, but I got a chuckle out of "sand snacks" ..
PMA and Phil17108 like this.

Uncle Willie

post #2364 of 2841 Old 04-20-2015, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
Wow Only 3 things in the entire show actually happened in the books: Arya goes to the House of Black and White, Jon Snow gets offered Winterfell by Stanis and Jon Snow gets elected leader of the Night's Watch.

The rest is off the map.
And you know what? At this moment, the show is making me much happier than anything in books 4 or 5 ever did.

A near miss encounter becomes an actual encounter, and Brienne gets something to do with an actual point.

Jaime being involved in a major storyline instead of wandering around the Riverlands acting as janitor and mostly moping.

Sansa and Littlefinger getting involved with another major plot instead of standing around in the Vale.

Streamlining the Night's Watch election.

Something, anything, actually happens in Mereen, and we get a bonus Drogon sighting. (OMG he is BIG.)

Jaqen H'gar! I almost stood up and cheered. And good on them for keeping that a closely held secret, it was worth it.
PMA, gwsat and Phil17108 like this.
post #2365 of 2841 Old 04-20-2015, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post
And you know what? At this moment, the show is making me much happier than anything in books 4 or 5 ever did.

A near miss encounter becomes an actual encounter, and Brienne gets something to do with an actual point.

Jaime being involved in a major storyline instead of wandering around the Riverlands acting as janitor and mostly moping.

Sansa and Littlefinger getting involved with another major plot instead of standing around in the Vale.

Streamlining the Night's Watch election.

Something, anything, actually happens in Mereen, and we get a bonus Drogon sighting. (OMG he is BIG.)

Jaqen H'gar! I almost stood up and cheered. And good on them for keeping that a closely held secret, it was worth it.
Agree 100% .. the editing / condensing / re-arranging / changing has been great .. I never thought I'd say it, but so much better than Book 4 / 5 ..

Uncle Willie

post #2366 of 2841 Old 04-20-2015, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 834
I also really liked the storytelling in this week's episode. The changes and additions Benioff & Weiss have made to the books have been an improvement, it seems to me. Boy, it's a high wire act, though.
post #2367 of 2841 Old 04-20-2015, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I will say this. Bronn really has no more important role in the books (at least not so far). We all know that some blood will be shed in Dorne and it ain't gonna be Jaime (at least not mortally).
post #2368 of 2841 Old 04-20-2015, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I will say this. Bronn really has no more important role in the books (at least not so far). We all know that some blood will be shed in Dorne and it ain't gonna be Jaime (at least not mortally).

At this point, I'm not even gonna guess what direction things go book vs show ..
ss9001 likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #2369 of 2841 Old 04-20-2015, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

That was fun. He is no one and a girl is not ready
post #2370 of 2841 Old 04-20-2015, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Yes, I agree that they are improving the story flow, compared to the books at this stage.

P.S. Loved that throat warble type sound from Drogon. They have done a great job of actualizing the dragons. I like too, how they have that fish style movement of their spines/fins, or whatever those would be called on a dragon
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page