'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD *** WARNING - Spoilers allowed *** - Page 83 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #2461 of 2484 Old 05-19-2015, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
Bronns actions in the books were far more interesting and let's not forget to what actions that lead Cersei. It's a shame, that the showwriters destroy the books.

And Jaime wasn't running around the Riverlands, he had interesting tasks i.e. with the Blackfish.

It was a waste of time. Jamie had a lot bigger fish to fry then the black one. That fish swam down the river and has not been hooked yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2484 Old 05-19-2015, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post
I don't think anyone is questioning that these guys have the outline or that they know where and basically how the story ends. The problem is that nearly every scene which has deviated from the books has been poorly conceived with terrible dialogue and gaping plot holes. These two are at their best when they're faithfully adapting the author's work while pruning unnecessary information and storylines; everything else is a hot mess.
I totally agree. It's not that they are shortening the story and doing their own thing, it's that the writing has been poor when not adapting the authors work. And quite frankly nonsensical at times.

Quote:
In the book Margaery does not seduce Tommen or consummate the marriage, because he is not of age. In the book she is rumored to be sleeping around with other men which is how she ends up in prison. Had they followed the book's outline for Tommen, they would not have had to concoct a reason to put Margaery in prison. That is what I mean by a chicken and egg problem. They created the problem.
I forget but didn't Cersei send someone to sleep with her and she didn't do it, so Cersei had her arrested anyway? The whole scene was just bad. I mean you have the King, Queen, Queen's Mother, and Olenna, who's grandson is on trial and less than a handful of Kingsguard for protection? Then the reasons of taking Loras and Margaery captive because some guy that would most probably see a birthmark being a squire says he has a birth mark? I forget that character's name but he is an employee of LF and didn't look like he had been tortured and really what is there for him to gain? I see LF's hands in this as well.

The books were subtle with the Renly and Loras and made it out to be two people who really cared for each other much like Brienne did for Renly. The show has made them out to be a fling in between all the other guys. Loras was a great fighter in the books. On the show they have him training with others with whom I would think had his allegiance and he is the queen's brother, he just goes pretty quietly and nobody seems to care. Sometimes butterflies grow into dragons I guess. I would think GRRM would have the ending decently planned out since this started as a 3 book series. So hopefully they have more notes to go off of and wrap this up better than this season has gone so far.

"If you don't just quit watching or at least quit expressing your displeasure about it. It isn't going to stop and if you don't like it, don't watch or at least stop endlessly complaining about it in your posts."

It's an open forum and people have put a lot of time into reading the books and watching 4 seasons so far. If they want to watch and complain, don't read there posts if it bothers you. I like to see what people think good or bad. Heck I finished both Dexter and True Blood with my wife and she heard lots of complaints.
Phil17108 likes this.
post #2463 of 2484 Old 05-19-2015, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

[QUOTE=Luke Kamp;34349850]

I forget but didn't Cersei send someone to sleep with her and she didn't do it, so Cersei had her arrested anyway? The whole scene was just bad. I mean you have the King, Queen, Queen's Mother, and Olenna, who's grandson is on trial and less than a handful of Kingsguard for protection? Then the reasons of taking Loras and Margaery captive because some guy that would most probably see a birthmark being a squire says he has a birth mark? I forget that character's name but he is an employee of LF and didn't look like he had been tortured and really what is there for him to gain? I see LF's hands in this as well.

She sure did and it did not work out as she hoped. After Margaery was jailed in the tower of the 7 Cersie went to visit and did not get out until the walk of sham, and by then Margaery was out waiting to stand trial, maybe fixed in her favor. The last part of the walk Cersie was picked up by a huge night of the King Guard named Robert Strong, the Mountain after he is fixed. He was an is still the Queen's Champion.
Luke Kamp likes this.
post #2464 of 2484 Old 05-19-2015, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post
Heck I finished both Dexter and True Blood with my wife and she heard lots of complaints.
None expect this to be a train wreck like the last 2 seasons of Dexter.
Didn't finish TB, so I'll hold opinion.

The condensed/altered story is still better than 90% of anything on TV.
post #2465 of 2484 Old 05-19-2015, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post
None expect this to be a train wreck like the last 2 seasons of Dexter.
Didn't finish TB, so I'll hold opinion.

The condensed/altered story is still better than 90% of anything on TV.
I agree and still enjoy the show and will be tuning in until the end. This is the spoilers/books thread so discussing the changes and what others think is fair game. I have been enjoying following up GoT with some Penny Dreadful on Sunday evenings.
post #2466 of 2484 Old 05-19-2015, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
"If you don't just quit watching or at least quit expressing your displeasure about it. It isn't going to stop and if you don't like it, don't watch or at least stop endlessly complaining about it in your posts."

It's an open forum and people have put a lot of time into reading the books and watching 4 seasons so far. If they want to watch and complain, don't read there posts if it bothers you. I like to see what people think good or bad. Heck I finished both Dexter and True Blood with my wife and she heard lots of complaints.
I assume you are quoting me. I am not talking about issues with the show in terms of plot. I am talking about posters complaining about any gay plots/subplots. It has to do with someone's morality rather than the storyline, writing or acting. I have seen this complaint on other shows (The Flash) and I get it, some people don't think its right and don't want to see it. I don't think it is appropriate though in this forum to complain about that kind of storyline. I'm not arguing the pros and cons and am not questioning anyone's right to be repulsed by such enactments.

As for finishing Dexter and True Blood, I would give you a purple heart but I did it too and have the scars on my soul to prove it.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #2467 of 2484 Old 05-19-2015, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
It's a shame, that the showwriters destroy the books.
I just checked on Amazon. The books still exist. What a relief, eh?

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #2468 of 2484 Old 05-20-2015, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm certainly willing to give the showrunners a great deal of latitude this season. The reality is they are trying to take two full books that were meandering and unfocused at best, and torture them into some sort of coherent plot that keeps the important characters and story points on screen, with just 10 hours to do so.

The fact this season is watchable at at all is, frankly, a minor miracle!
grasshoppers and BasementHT5 like this.
post #2469 of 2484 Old 05-20-2015, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
I agree and still enjoy the show and will be tuning in until the end. This is the spoilers/books thread so discussing the changes and what others think is fair game. I have been enjoying following up GoT with some Penny Dreadful on Sunday evenings.
I have been doing the same thing with Penny Dreadful. I am not traditionally a horror fan but this show is more drama/horror.

Regarding the adaption of GOT. I have not read the books but my wife has. I find it interesting how peoples opinion differ on the matter. My wife thinks the writing is actually better on the show than the books. As far as the dialogue is concerned. She also thinks some of the plot points make a bit more sense. But, then I read other opinions that completely disagree with that. I would like to find out for myself so I recently picked up the books. I might dig in soon.
post #2470 of 2484 Old 05-21-2015, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
I have been doing the same thing with Penny Dreadful. I am not traditionally a horror fan but this show is more drama/horror.

Regarding the adaption of GOT. I have not read the books but my wife has. I find it interesting how peoples opinion differ on the matter. My wife thinks the writing is actually better on the show than the books. As far as the dialogue is concerned. She also thinks some of the plot points make a bit more sense. But, then I read other opinions that completely disagree with that. I would like to find out for myself so I recently picked up the books. I might dig in soon.
I tend to fall on your wife's side. I loved (and continue to) the books, but to me, the show's writers have tightened up some threads and eliminated some that didn't fit into the new story lines.

I don't know how, for example, the story of the King beyond the wall's child, Tyrion's trip and involvement with the performing dwarf would have fit in.

I do lament that they didn't find a spot for Belwas and Stoneheart, and think that the Sand Snakes story would have been better as it was.

I don't miss the Martell son's attempt to wed Daenerys or the other Targaeryen's attempt to take Westeros.

It's an alternative story to me, but remains true to most of the letter and all of the spirit of the books.
post #2471 of 2484 Old 05-21-2015, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Overall I agree with the sentiment that the writers have done a good job pruning & streamlining the story. My criticisms of their writing are when they branch off on their own, they've fallen down with some nonsensical things. Even minor deviations like having Stannis leading the attack on the Black Water bothered me quite a bit as with his host routed, there was just no way for him to safely retreat off the walls.

Benioff & Weis have done an amazing job overall adapting the source material, but they've made some odd choices in their deviations which have missed the boat IMO. As they now are adapting from an "outline" instead of big thick books, it is going to be interesting how they adapt a non-fleshed out source.

PS3 ID: Mav_26_
post #2472 of 2484 Old 05-21-2015, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I want to know when they'll get back to the Bran & Hodor gang. Some interesting stuff going on there. I hope they don't wait for the season finale again.
jazzycat likes this.

OPPO BDP-103, Comcast DVR, Sony FMP-X1 4K server
Marantz AV8801 pre/pro, Yamaha MX-A5000 amp
Sony VPL-VW600ES projector, Stewart StudioTek130 103" diag screen
7 Thiel speakers (3 SCS4, 2 PowerPoint, 2 PowerPlane), 2 JL Audio E110 subs
Harmony Ultimate remote
post #2473 of 2484 Old 05-21-2015, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
I want to know when they'll get back to the Bran & Hodor gang. Some interesting stuff going on there. I hope they don't wait for the season finale again.
They will be back next season. Not this season at all....

Bobby 

post #2474 of 2484 Old 05-21-2015, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
I find Sansa's inclusion in place of Jenye Poole has been a horrible choice all around. It weakens the plot for no obvious reason and paints Littlefinger in a way that was never done in the book. A creep, yes, but he would never have placed Sansa intentionally in danger like they have done here. They are so far off the reservation now, I don't have any faith that they'll be able to execute at the same level while making up their own material.
Hey everyone. Just found this thread the other day, and I'm looking forward to discussing the differences between the books and show.

I've found many of their (producers) choices weak. They've changed things from the book that didn't need to be changed, unless they're headed somewhere utterly different. I didn't read the books until this past January, and while I do love the show, I found the books much more entertaining. (except book 4. He totally went left field with all that stuff about the Iron Islands, Victorian and Euron, etc., which I thought was a snoozefest, but it appears they may have some part to play in the later books. I wonder if the show will go there at all. Fine by me if it doesn't, just wondering.) Of course this is to be expected. Books are always better because they can go into a lot more detail. Still. To needlessly change things that don't need to be changed makes no sense to me.

And how many men is it now that have gone after Danny to try and "make her my queen?" Don't they realize, she don't need no stinkin' man to *conquer* her? In the books, she plays it VERY well at being a stupid little girl, when she's really using strategy and cunning. In the show she seems to be a lot weaker to me.

The whole thing about Jaqen H'ghar being in the House of Black and White is wrong, unless the old man in the books turns out to be Jaqen with a different face. Why did they do that? And the other girl there isn't cruel in the book like she is in the show. I think Arya is one of the more interesting characters and I really wish they would've been more true to her story, and given her more screen time.

About the theory of John Snow being the true heir of Rhaegar and Lyanna, I never thought of that. It's a sound theory though. But seeing as how the book ended...

*** edit ***
They really should've made the show 13 episodes instead of 10.
Turrican4D likes this.
post #2475 of 2484 Old 05-21-2015, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzycat View Post
Hey everyone. Just found this thread the other day, and I'm looking forward to discussing the differences between the books and show.

About the theory of John Snow being the true heir of Rhaegar and Lyanna, I never thought of that. It's a sound theory though. But seeing as how the book ended...

*** edit ***
They really should've made the show 13 episodes instead of 10.

Who did Stannis leave behind when he went to Winterfell, the red women with the power. She may bring him back, but will he still be a member of the watch or is his watch over, if so then who is he?

Its not the last book.
post #2476 of 2484 Old Yesterday, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post
Who did Stannis leave behind when he went to Winterfell, the red women with the power. She may bring him back, but will he still be a member of the watch or is his watch over, if so then who is he?

Its not the last book.
With GRRM's unflinching ability to "take out" a character, especially anyone in the Stark House, it would be impossible to even guess what happens with Jon next .. he also took, I believe, a single arrow in the leg in the book from Ygritte yet on the show, she arrowed him I believe three times, at least twice in the torso .. yet, he lived to tell the tale ..

Phil17108 and jazzycat like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #2477 of 2484 Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
With GRRM's unflinching ability to "take out" a character, especially anyone in the Stark House, it would be impossible to even guess what happens with Jon next .. he also took, I believe, a single arrow in the leg in the book from Ygritte yet on the show, she arrowed him I believe three times, at least twice in the torso .. yet, he lived to tell the tale ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU7qePain64

Ygritte is my favorite red head and just hated to see her go. I wonder if she could come back in the last 2 books. As for the TV, could Sansa become the ice princes of the North?
jazzycat likes this.
post #2478 of 2484 Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 989
Quote:
Ygritte is my favorite red head and just hated to see her go. I wonder if she could come back in the last 2 books. As for the TV, could Sansa become the ice princes of the North?
I really liked Ygritte as well .. as far as Sansa and the North goes, I would guess much of what comes to pass is going to hinge on Stannis and Winterfell and how the writers treat that .. at some point, the Bolton's as well as the Frey's should certainly be dealt some payback ..

I do hope they bring Asha back ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #2479 of 2484 Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 34
http://uproxx.com/tv/2015/05/emilia-...-red-nose-day/

I found it amusing....

If you think your NFL team doesn't cheat, think again: http://yourteamcheats.com
post #2480 of 2484 Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I really liked Ygritte as well.
I do hope they bring Asha back.
Never liked ygr - not a fan of the redheads - they usually have that never seen the sun really pale look goin.

As far as asha bet they do cause her agency has gemma whelan listed for season 5.

post #2481 of 2484 Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post
Never liked ygr - not a fan of the redheads - they usually have that never seen the sun really pale look goin.
That's what's so amazing about them!

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #2482 of 2484 Old Today, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As far as asha bet they do cause her agency has gemma whelan listed for season 5.
Red heads may be pale but the look is natural. What I don't care for are blond/sliver/white hair with eye brows that look like thick black worms on a skin so pale it makes the red heads look like they came from Dorne.
post #2483 of 2484 Old Today, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
the red heads look like they came from Dome.
Under ?

post #2484 of 2484 Old Today, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Under ?

how did you get from the DOME.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com