'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD *** WARNING - Spoilers allowed *** - Page 85 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #2521 of 2546 Old 05-26-2015, 09:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post
I have read the books twice and it was an ordeal both times. The first time was more for the story and the second time I was more into looking for clues to the unanswered and the unasked question. Got pretty sharp with the material and can still recall it ok. It took me about 10 weeks or so plus I did go back to reread a lot and stop and think about what I had just read.

I know speed reading can devour a lot of ground but what is the use if a year later you end up with a green egg and rotten pork omelet, not a lot of enjoyment in that.
3 times for me .. just because I like the books (some more than others) .. I don't speed read, I savor it like a fine wine .. when it's good, anyway .. and at my age, it's not about the speed, it's about the flavor ..
Phil17108 and jazzycat like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 2546 Old 05-26-2015, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
3 times for me .. just because I like the books (some more than others) .. I don't speed read, I savor it like a fine wine .. when it's good, anyway .. and at my age, it's not about the speed, it's about the flavor ..
You could not have put it better. Its like a fine dinner in a top tier restaurant, it takes time. Speed reading is a value meal at jack in the box drive through.
post #2523 of 2546 Old 05-27-2015, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
The Watchers on the Wall have revealed some of the casting calls for Season 6 of Game of Thrones.

They didn't post names, but based on some of the descriptions, it is likely we will see Euron Greyjoy, Randyll Tarly, and Septon Meribald, among others.
post #2524 of 2546 Old 05-27-2015, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post
The Watchers on the Wall have revealed some of the casting calls for Season 6 of Game of Thrones.

They didn't post names, but based on some of the descriptions, it is likely we will see Euron Greyjoy, Randyll Tarly, and Septon Meribald, among others.
In the comments following the article you posted there sure seemed a lot of love for the Ironborn. I was hoping that the TV series would leave them out, although it seems in Book 6 they plan an important part.
post #2525 of 2546 Old 05-27-2015, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post
You read 5,216 pgs in 14 days - thats 372 pgs a day.
Yep. Something like that (it might have been a little longer, but not by much). Once I start reading a book, I find it almost impossible to put it down. (if it's good, that is.) I can read fairly quickly when I'm interested in something. I admit I did skip over a few pages because of the endless exposition. I think some of the very lengthy description he used was unnecessary and boring. Just my opinion. But I really wanted to move on. I mostly did this in the fourth book, with all the stuff about the Iron Islands, Victorian, Euron, etc. I simply didn't care about those characters. I didn't find them at all interesting, and I thought they were the most evil ones in the book, and not in a fun way.
post #2526 of 2546 Old 05-27-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post
In the comments following the article you posted there sure seemed a lot of love for the Ironborn. I was hoping that the TV series would leave them out, although it seems in Book 6 they plan an important part.
ack. They were my least favorite characters in the books. Considering the changes they've made to other things, I was also hoping they would be left out.
post #2527 of 2546 Old 05-27-2015, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 163
You cannot leave out the man, that will sit on the Iron Throne at the end.

P.S.: I just heard that GOT will be over after only sex seasons???!

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.

Last edited by Turrican4D; 05-28-2015 at 09:40 AM.
post #2528 of 2546 Old 05-28-2015, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
Do you have a source for that? HBO has only renewed it through Season 6, but that's never indicative of its actual end date. I recall from this year's interviews, B&W have begun softening their stance on no more than 7 seasons...so who knows how long it could run.
Turrican4D and jazzycat like this.
post #2529 of 2546 Old 05-28-2015, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
You cannot left out the man, that will sit on the Iron Throne at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflor View Post
Do you have a source for that? HBO has only renewed it through Season 6, but that's never indicative of its actual end date. I recall from this year's interviews, B&W have begun softening their stance on no more than 7 seasons...so who knows how long it could run.

I don't think the sex season happens until season 8. That's why it's taking so long for George E. E. to write.
rflor and Turrican4D like this.
post #2530 of 2546 Old 05-28-2015, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The latest interview info that I follow does not really seem to indicate B&W have dramatically changed their original plan .. these quotes are from the last 30 days :

Weiss: The big thing is, this is a show with a beginning, a middle and an end. We know what the end is, and we’re heading toward it now.

Benioff: We’re not sure whether it’s going to end up being, say, 70 or 75 hours — but it can’t be 100 hours. It would start to feel like a bogged-down mess.

"We could go another four years—and we could come up with good stories—but the one thing that really got us excited when we pitched this to HBO was that this isn't just a regular series," he says. "We know what the end is, and we're barreling toward it. So the idea that we're going to try and stretch it out by an extra couple years just because we're all having a good time doing it and people are making money off it just feels like it would be a betrayal."

Benioff reminds onlookers that Game of Thrones was never planned as a traditional series. With Martin's insight, their story had a clear beginning, middle, and end. HBO accepted the approach from the get-go. The show would end when Benioff wanted to end. And since he's prioritizing story, the end is nigh. Winter is finally coming.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #2531 of 2546 Old 05-28-2015, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 35
HBO is on record for wanting 10 seasons and the writers say 7 is what they think is right. I highly doubt it will be over after season 6.

If you think your NFL team doesn't cheat, think again: http://yourteamcheats.com
post #2532 of 2546 Old 05-28-2015, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have a feeling it will go 8 seasons. To finish this entire story in only 2 more seasons seems like it would be extremely rushed - more so if they are going to include some of the unused book 4 plotlines as the recent casting news would indicate.
jazzycat likes this.
post #2533 of 2546 Old 05-28-2015, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromkamp View Post
I have a feeling it will go 8 seasons. To finish this entire story in only 2 more seasons seems like it would be extremely rushed - more so if they are going to include some of the unused book 4 plotlines as the recent casting news would indicate.

Based on the speed with which this season has progessed, it could be done in 7 seasons .. keeping in mind B&W don't have to wait on GRRM .. I think HBO execs would let it go on as long as people could stand it .. that does not make it right .. I personally don't want my favorite show to end up with lame final seasons done just because of a money grab .. HBO should honor the vision of B&W since they have taken us this far and done a great job with it ..
Phil17108 likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #2534 of 2546 Old 05-28-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Based on the speed with which this season has progessed, it could be done in 7 seasons .. keeping in mind B&W don't have to wait on GRRM .. I think HBO execs would let it go on as long as people could stand it .. that does not make it right .. I personally don't want my favorite show to end up with lame final seasons done just because of a money grab .. HBO should honor the vision of B&W since they have taken us this far and done a great job with it ..
I agree with you. Tyrion meeting Daenerys may be two books from now for all we know. They are really cutting through the chaff and getting to the main story which is something we would all like GRRMartin to do. Having Daenerys sit in Meereen for so long (as in the books) is almost intolerable.
Phil17108 and jazzycat like this.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #2535 of 2546 Old 05-28-2015, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I'll tell you when the show is done, 5 minutes after we find out who Jon Snow's parents are. That could be next week or sometime in the upcoming boring twenty's
mgkdragn likes this.
post #2536 of 2546 Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 155
This says big battle tonight (kit says best ever) - seems like the white walkers are finally back + maybe the nights king too.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/31...rones-hardhome

post #2537 of 2546 Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Some fairly strong hints that we may see Lady Stoneheart after all.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7476054.html
Turrican4D likes this.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #2538 of 2546 Old Today, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 44

Quit failing to flip the switch
post #2539 of 2546 Old Today, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Now that is what I call an episode.

Best one of the season so far, and ranks up there with some of the best of the series.
Aetherhole and Phil17108 like this.

-- David

Last edited by wdkerbow; Today at 09:15 AM.
post #2540 of 2546 Old Today, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OggideM View Post
The Ice King? lol It looks like a crown on his head. That scene wasn't in the books. But, I suppose this was a much more exciting way to find out that Valerian Steel kills them, and they can't break it. It seems that dragon fire is the best way to deal with the white walkers. I guess Danny needs to hurry up and make it back to Westeros with her dragons if she wants any people left to rule. They could fly over and wipe them all out very quickly. Then the people would support her claim.
post #2541 of 2546 Old Today, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Wow, such a great episode! That last scene was the one of the best scenes in the series, to date!

Winter is co... uh-oh...

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #2542 of 2546 Old Today, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 301
So we are pretty far off the books and that's fine with me.
Absolutely loved the scenes with Danaerys and Tyrion. What exactly was the reason for GRRMartin delaying that?

It seems Jon Snow is on a difficult path which might still end with his death at the end of the season. In fact, that's how I think the season will end.

The only thread on its same path of the books is Cersei's which we know how it will end.

I am really enjoying the show and the accelerated storytelling. I especially like the fact that the army of the dead is made much more of a threat which really disappeared in the books the first couple of books.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #2543 of 2546 Old Today, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
So we are pretty far off the books and that's fine with me.
Absolutely loved the scenes with Danaerys and Tyrion. What exactly was the reason for GRRMartin delaying that?

It seems Jon Snow is on a difficult path which might still end with his death at the end of the season. In fact, that's how I think the season will end.

The only thread on its same path of the books is Cersei's which we know how it will end.

I am really enjoying the show and the accelerated storytelling. I especially like the fact that the army of the dead is made much more of a threat which really disappeared in the books the first couple of books.
I've been debating how they're going to handle Jon at the end of the season. The fact that Melisandre isn't at Castle Black takes away the possibility of her saving him after they attack him. Do they have Ollie stab him alone so that there's a chance of Jon living? If he's attacked like he is in the books with no Red Priestess to save him then how the hell could he survive? I'm sure Jon is not going to die. Besides the fact that he's signed for 2 more seasons we all know that an awful lot of overall book plot speculation revolves around him.

Maybe something happens next episode that forces Stannis to send Mel back to Castle Black for the final episode of the season? Then the show could mirror the book. Given how far away they are from the books I doubt that's the answer. I'm guessing there will be a toned down mutiny with Ollie doing the deed.

Fantastic episode. As the credits rolled I noticed for the first time that my fists had been clenched during the end of the battle.
jazzycat likes this.

If you think your NFL team doesn't cheat, think again: http://yourteamcheats.com
post #2544 of 2546 Old Today, 12:26 PM

I don't understand why they didn't give Arya the name she used in the books, "Cat of the Canals" while she's out peddling oysters. What is the point of changing her name to Lanna, which is suspiciously close to Alyane, which is the name Sansa was using when traveling with Littlefinger? It seems to me they're changing things just for the sake of changing them now, instead of for some reason of efficiency. Did this annoy anyone else?
post #2545 of 2546 Old Today, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by OggideM View Post
This one scene was epic. He basically is saying....yeah take a look. I don't care what you do and here is why!
post #2546 of 2546 Old Today, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 124
So what are the head WWs suppose to be?

Some different race and their plan is to what convert all the living to the dead army?

And once they do that, then what?

They certainly have an advantage since they don't have to worry about pesky things like having resources -- money, food, inspiration -- to raise and sustain an army through arduous campaigns.

Say the WW are the biggest threat to KL and the known world, the biggest, baddest contender in the GoT. Other than the revelation of their supernatural powers, they're not as interesting as all the individuals and families which the series has been concentrating on for 5 seasons.

Unlike zombies in other movies, these boss WW seem to have some kind of sentience, so presumably they could have the same kind of motivations, ambitions, hubris, etc. as the other contenders?

A couple of seasons ago, one of the WW took a baby to some ice palace and then did they turn the baby into a WW (with the glowing eyes)?
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page