AVS Forum banner
165K views 3K replies 199 participants last post by  JudgeSmails 
#1 ·
 Here

Series starts in 2011 (tentatively March or April).

#2 ·
I saw the ad for this show prior to the True Blood season premier. Looks interesting.

#3 ·
Loved the first three books, the fourth not so much. And it looks like eorge has become the new Robert Jordan in that he's extending the series for more books than originally intended and taking way too long to write them. Hopefully he does not meet a similar fate and is able to complete these books in his and my lifetime.

#5 ·
Looks like the casting is pretty much complete - and it's a big cast, with most of the "secondary" characters from the book. Cast announcement page from George RR Martin's blog:
http://grrm.livejournal.com/164794.html

And here's a discussion forum with lots of cast publicity photos, including a book signing with Martin, and even a bit of swordplay:
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm...2&mpage=1&key=

I'm impressed by how one cast member after another looks like a close match to how I imagined the character in the book. Probably a good thing that Martin was involved with the casting. Warning: be prepared to lose your heart as you get to know the Stark kids!

Another warning: I found at least one other site with cast photos that also reveals some (hisss!) plot spoilers - not posting that one here. I wouldn't be surprised if the authors of that sleazy site
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) have some Lannister blood in 'em.

#6 ·
Finish the damn books, Martin! And stop spending so much time writing about what people are eating or wearing!!! Maybe then the books wouldn't take so long. Of course, maybe the speculation is true that he doesn't know how it ends.

[/vent]

Series could be spectacular. I'm going to have to keep my expectations low cause if I don't there's no way it will live up to my self-hype. Yeah, I love these books.

#7 ·
It's been so long since I've read them I don't remember a lot of it. I even gave up on it before reading the last one he did, realizing I'd be better off just waiting for him to finish them. Unfortunately it doesn't look like that is ever going to happen.

I only hope we see some heavy duty magic stuff going on in the series. If I recall correctly, dragons make an appearance in the first book, so I'd hope we'd at least see that.

With the amount of FX, this should be one of HBO's most expensive series to date.

#8 ·
A Feast for Crows is particularly frustrating because he spends so much time describing what they eat and wear. You end up thinking the book didn't need to be split in two if he had just got to the point. I'm all for setting the scene but he went too far with AFFC. The first 3 books are amazing, though.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbass /forum/post/18787761

Loved the first three books, the fourth not so much. And it looks like eorge has become the new Robert Jordan in that he's extending the series for more books than originally intended and taking way too long to write them. Hopefully he does not meet a similar fate and is able to complete these books in his and my lifetime.

You should be worried - he does not look like the picture of health from his pictures.

#10 ·
Gonna pick these books up when Wheel of Time finishes. I read WoT over the course of 18 months. All caught up now. I can see how it would be extremely frustrating to have such agonizing detail and little forward motion when having to wait YEARS for the next book...but being able to read them back to back, it didn't bother me so much.

#13 ·
I'm a fantasy fan and I read the first 3 books. I liked the 2nd the best, but I could see this was going into the endless blackhole that Wheel of Time did. Martin is brutal with his characters. I like to see some spark from protagonists especially if met with the over-arching selfish evil of the villians. Not happening here, they stand right up and take it in the chops doing exactly the wrong thing at the right time.

I'll watch the series. What else is there to do. I'd much rather see an adaption of Gene Wolfe's "New Sun"...probably the high water mark of fantasy since LOTR.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple /forum/post/19018902

I'll watch the series. What else is there to do. I'd much rather see an adaption of Gene Wolfe's "New Sun"...probably the high water mark of fantasy since LOTR.

Never happen. Gene Wolfe is like reading Shakespeare, it's an acquired taste. Plus he's not nearly as popular as George R.R. Martin. Only the most die hard of sci-fi/fantasy fans know of him.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/19019567

Never happen. Gene Wolfe is like reading Shakespeare, it's an acquired taste. Plus he's not nearly as popular as George R.R. Martin. Only the most die hard of sci-fi/fantasy fans know of him.

Definitely have to train your mind to follow his cadence, but once done, he's one of the richest reading experiences out there. It might never happen, but the story is epic and I think doable. I wouldn't let Wolfe write the script just advise...probably what Martin is doing...and yes, he's not nearly as popular, just better.

#16 ·
 Behind the scenes

There's a new short video up on the site. What I find interesting is that apparently there isn't going to be much "visible" magic in the series, I would guess that's a deliberate way to keep the costs down. Kind of a bummer considering there's quite a bit of it in the books.

I guess that means no dragons...

#17 ·
What is this Game of Thrones?

I wouldn't expect any dragons for quite some time.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) In the series they're only briefly mentioned when talking of the past, not "seen" until later.

Quote:
What I find interesting is that apparently there isn't going to be much "visible" magic in the series, I would guess that's a deliberate way to keep the costs down. Kind of a bummer considering there's quite a bit of it in the books.

I don't know why you'd think that.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Really just the Red Lady, that's it. There are only a few monsters (Others, dragons), but there are never wizards zipping around and launching fireballs and calling down lightning. Catelyn is raised "offscreen" and even if shown wouldn't be full of flashy effects.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow /forum/post/19203865

What is this Game of Thrones?

I wouldn't expect any dragons for quite some time.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) In the series they're only briefly mentioned when talking of the past, not "seen" until later.

I don't know why you'd think that.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Really just the Red Lady, that's it. There are only a few monsters (Others, dragons), but there are never wizards zipping around and launching fireballs and calling down lightning. Catelyn is raised "offscreen" and even if shown wouldn't be full of flashy effects.

I don't think we have to use spoilers discussing generalities in the book- as for dragons they are in the first book- eggs, and such. There are also wizards if I remember correctly, so there is a fair bit of magic even in the first book. There's magic throughout the series, but if they don't want to show much of it I worry that the show isn't going to be true to the books. Let's see how they cover the rampant incest, rape, etc, etc...

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/19204619

I don't think we have to use spoilers discussing generalities in the book- as for dragons they are in the first book- eggs, and such. There are also wizards if I remember correctly, so there is a fair bit of magic even in the first book. There's magic throughout the series, but if they don't want to show much of it I worry that the show isn't going to be true to the books.

Not really. The wizards certainly aren't the Gandalf-type, they are more like alchemists, and arguably what they do has a scientific basis, just one that isn't understood as such. (Any sufficiently sophisticated technology will be seen as magic by a population that doesn't know that technology.)

What other magic are you thinking of? There really isn't much magic at all "seen onscreen" in the books. You have the creatures like the wraiths and such from the north, but that's a bit different.

Quote:
Let's see how they cover the rampant incest, rape, etc, etc...

It's HBO. Have you seen their shows?
I don't think they've suddenly become prudish.

If anything, I'm more concerned that the series will follow the books *too* slavishly. Not everything that works in a book works onscreen.

#21 ·
It will be interesting on how they handle the kids as the kids in the books sure did not act like kids and were placed in adult situations especially Daenerys who was 13 in the first book yet got pregnant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.