Gasland on HBO - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Happened to catch this while flipping channels. Very interesting documentary on HBO on natural gas and its production, and environmental side effects. We're brainwashed about how clean natural gas is, when the reality is quite the opposite.

http://www.gaslandthemovie.com/

It is happening all across America-rural landowners wake up one day to find a lucrative offer from an energy company wanting to lease their property. Reason? The company hopes to tap into a reservoir dubbed the "Saudi Arabia of natural gas." Halliburton developed a way to get the gas out of the ground-a hydraulic drilling process called "fracking"-and suddenly America finds itself on the precipice of becoming an energy superpower. Written by Sundance Film Festival

http://www.macleans.ca/article.jsp?content=e3684362
HBO documentary 'Gasland' an unsettling look at hazards of natural gas drilling

June 17, 2010 - 16:56

Michael Rubinkam, The Associated Press

MILANVILLE, Pa. - What do you do when a gas company offers nearly US$100,000 for the right to drill on your land?

If you're Josh Fox, you refuse the money — then make an award-winning documentary portraying the natural gas industry as an environmental menace that ruins water, air and lives.

In "Gasland," premiering Monday at 9 p.m. ET on HBO, Fox presents a frightening scenario in which tens of thousands of drilling rigs take over the landscape, gas companies exploit legal loopholes to inject toxins into the ground and residents living nearby contract severe, unexplained illnesses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 09:01 PM

Liked: 12
This was an excellent show. I couldn't believe it when they were actually lighting their tap water on fire.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-22-2010, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Or the stream where gas was bubbling out like 7up.
Our governments are turning a blind eye to water and environmental pollution, this damage that can not be reversed Here in Canada the oil sands of Alberta have helped our dollar rise but whats the cost of getting that oil.

"In the production of oil, water is used to separate the bitumen from the Tar Sand and for every barrel of oil produced, five barrels of water are used.

The waste water left over from the separation process is too contaminated and is stored in giant tailing "ponds" (which should more appropriately be called "lakes") are created to hold this contaminated water.

These tailing "lakes" are filled with toxins such as benzene, naphthenic acid, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, paraffin, naphtha, bitumen, other heavy metals and chemicals. "
post #4 of 9 Old 06-22-2010, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by teevman View Post

This was an excellent show. I couldn't believe it when they were actually lighting their tap water on fire.

Natural gas getting into the ground water could happen "naturally". The "fracturing" process probably did cause the gas to get into water supplies where it wasn't before. Minor earthquakes and such could to the same thing. The thing that is scary, is the millions of gallons of water used laden with the chemicals during the fracking process. There's no way to guarantee this couldn't cause ground water pollution.

I'm not saying gas in the water is a good thing, but.... there could be a way to extract it if somebody would spend the time do develop the tech if they haven't already. But since it won't yield the same amount of gas per "dollar it takes to extract", the companies have no real impetus to do it. If they did, it's possible that some of those people could turn into the next "Beverly Hillbillies".

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #5 of 9 Old 08-25-2013, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by teevman View Post

What Josh Fox didn't mention in the film was that the water table was already contaminated with natural gas where the tap water caught on fire before the fracking was even started. We all want to drink clean water and breath clean air. We also want a relatively clean cheap energy source like natural gas. I think we can have both and are not mutually exclusine like Mr. Fox would have us believe.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-25-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Uhh... Why weren't people sick (sort term) before they started Fracking then... ?

No political talk here? This site is ghey then...

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #7 of 9 Old 08-27-2013, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I think the documentary overstates the dangers. The filmmaker is a zealot on the subject. National Geographic - hardly a far right mag - did an issue featuring fracking and thought it was probably safe - but that we need more specific regulations as to the chemicals the frackers are allowed to use. As far as I know, the site where there was gas coming out of the spigot was a one time problem, has been cleared up, and hasn't been seen elsewhere.

Fracking has lowered the price of gas and oil considerably compared to what it would have been otherwise. So that's a good thing, except that it is a carbon-based energy source (which produces much less CO2 than petroleum products). You can focus only on the negatives or you can focus only on the positives or you can look at both and try to balance them and come to a rational decision.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-28-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Was having a conversation about this and Chasing Ice (other doc I watched) and The question I have is if we have abundance of NG where/how are we going to do it SAFELY without creating environmental disasters like in Gasland... ?

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #9 of 9 Old 08-29-2013, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
You can get the ng without fracking, it's just not cost effective and it takes longer. Don't worry the government is not going to stop it, they will just ship in clean water where there is no natural gas. lol

For everybody who believes the media, watch Gasland 2. A bunch of homeowners, mayors and politicians are interviewed. Not to mention all of the tests that are showed by the homeowners.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page