Rubicon on AMC HD - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 277 Old 10-05-2010, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
...this is clearly the best show on tv. Haven't seen this type of acting, writing, intrigue and overall deep development (and interest on my part) of characters since 'I don't know when'. Hopefully Rubicon is renewed. If it doesn't have sufficient viewers its because nobody knows about it.

My wife and I are unabashed Dexter fans since season 1 but now Dexter gets dvr'd so we can watch Rubicon in real time. Amc please understand what you are sitting on and renew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 277 Old 10-05-2010, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How good is this show? So good, that I made a rare exception for it, and watch it even though I don't get AMC in HD. (Thanks, D*.)

It started a little slow. But the storyline has gotten hot, and the chracters have been very well developed over the season. I'm highly looking forward to the next two weeks.
post #123 of 277 Old 10-05-2010, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Totally agree with the above two posters. This past episode was the "best" yet out of a great bunch of episodes. The suspense was high, plenty of movement in the storyline and a "cleaner" to boot .

I also agree that one of the reason this show is probably not getting the viewers is that it is on a tough night for programing, much like Thursday nights (at least for me) this is going against Dexter, True Blood, Boardwalk Empire, Fox Animation Domination, ect ect ect...Hopefully AMC gives the green light to a second season, as once the DVDs come out I think many more people will get access to the show. For once a show gives us more than one character to focus on\\care about (there are others, but not many).
post #124 of 277 Old 10-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
So Keteb is API's instigator and is preparing a disaster for the Bosses.
post #125 of 277 Old 10-05-2010, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post

So Keteb is API's instigator and is preparing a disaster for the Bosses.

That is what we hav been lead to believe. BTW its not API who he works for its the "shadow" group that is profiting from greating international conflicts. They are using API for the research and then using that research to either create\\hold\\stop conflicts as they see fit.
post #126 of 277 Old 10-06-2010, 06:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 490
I agree that Rubicon is getting better and better. Truxton Spangler is becoming one of the most interesting villans I can remember; he in a class with Hannibal Lecter. Rubicon is a consistently interesting and thought provoking series. Surely it will be renewed. Nevertheless, I learned long ago never to underestimate the stupidity of network suits.
post #127 of 277 Old 10-06-2010, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I agree that Rubicon is getting better and better. Truxton Spangler is becoming one of the most interesting villans I can remember; he in a class with Hannibal Lecter. Rubicon is a consistently interesting and thought provoking series. Surely it will be renewed. Nevertheless, I learned long ago never to underestimate the stupidity of network suits.

If its not getting ratings and a losing money thing for a channel then its not stupidity as the main goal is to make money not keep a few fans happy.

Be that as it may I would like to see a renewal.

Argee
post #128 of 277 Old 10-06-2010, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

If its not getting ratings and a losing money thing for a channel then its not stupidity as the main goal is to make money not keep a few fans happy.

Be that as it may I would like to see a renewal.

Of course, the bottom line has to be about money but cable networks such as AMC generally pay less for their series than the Big Four networks, so they sometimes stick with a critically acclaimed series when one of the Big Four wouldn't. All we can do now is to hope that AMC does the right thing.
post #129 of 277 Old 10-06-2010, 12:45 PM

Liked: 11
So, does anyone else think that the blood left on Will's wall was intentional by Kale? I wonder if they're still creating doubt about Kale.

They've made a conspiracy theorist out of me.
post #130 of 277 Old 10-06-2010, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruven42 View Post

So, does anyone else think that the blood left on Will's wall was intentional by Kale? I wonder if they're still creating doubt about Kale.

Nah, actually I think the trust is now 100% especially after what he just did.

But that was a little weird to miss that bit of blood on the wall. I'm also surprised they didn't take his clothes, specifically the blood stained shirt he was wearing.

This concept of the cleaner is getting pretty common. Last week Steven King popped up as a cleaner in Sons of Anarchy. Let's see, Harvey Keitel, Steven King, a non-speaking huge Polish dude, I got to get into that union. I'm sure the pay is great.

Larry

I thought we were
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #131 of 277 Old 10-06-2010, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruven42 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

Nah, actually I think the trust is now 100% especially after what he just did.

But that was a little weird to miss that bit of blood on the wall. I'm also surprised they didn't take his clothes, specifically the blood stained shirt he was wearing.

This concept of the cleaner is getting pretty common. Last week Steven King popped up as a cleaner in Sons of Anarchy. Let's see, Harvey Keitel, Steven King, a non-speaking huge Polish dude, I got to get into that union. I'm sure the pay is great.

Your posts remind me of something else that left me wondering. When Bloom was setting up the scene before he attacked Will, he left what looked like bags of heroin and other drug oriented stuff in Will's medicine cabinet. Apparently neither Kale's cleaner nor anyone else ever checked the medicine cabinet. Hmmm.
post #132 of 277 Old 10-06-2010, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your posts remind me of something else that left me wondering. When Bloom was setting up the scene before he attacked Will, he left what looked like bags of heroin and other drug oriented stuff in Will's medicine cabinet. Apparently neither Kale's cleaner nor anyone else ever checked the medicine cabinet. Hmmm.

Yes, that too. They left a lot of loose ends dangling.

Larry

I thought we were
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #133 of 277 Old 10-07-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:

Kale probably cleaned that up when he kicked Will out of the bathroom. If I remember correctly they cut the scene with Kale still in there.
post #134 of 277 Old 10-07-2010, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilkins View Post

Kale probably cleaned that up when he kicked Will out of the bathroom. If I remember correctly they cut the scene with Kale still in there.

Correct, they did.
post #135 of 277 Old 10-07-2010, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've never done this sort of thing before, but I wrote to AMC at amccustomerservice@rainbow-media.com telling them how great the show is and hoping it would be renewed. Amazingly, I got a response. No promise of renewal, of course. But it suggests they do actually read their email.
post #136 of 277 Old 10-07-2010, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3193 View Post

I've never done this sort of thing before, but I wrote to AMC at amccustomerservice@rainbow-media.com telling them how great the show is and hoping it would be renewed. Amazingly, I got a response. No promise of renewal, of course. But it suggests they do actually read their email.

There is now a file with your name on it and a drone is repositioning over your residence. Close your shades.

Larry

I thought we were

post #137 of 277 Old 10-07-2010, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

There is now a file with your name on it and a drone is repositioning over your residence. Close your shades.

LOL!!!! DOnt you knwo even the shades dont help anymore, they see thorugh the walls and blinds.

Looksing back at the episode I ahve to say I loved the look on Spangler's face when he redialed the last number on Will's phone, that along with his reaction was priceless. Fromsoneone who doesnt show a lot of emotion he sure let it all out there for a short time. It also makes me wonder how far David got before Spangler "took care of the problem".
post #138 of 277 Old 10-11-2010, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Wow. No replies to last night's show yet. I know Sunday is a big night for good shows, but this one has moved just about to the top of my DVR - even for Sundays.

I thought it was another, super, interesting, engaging episode. I absolutely love the writing in this show. I am so invested in the characters - almost every one of them too - that I seem to always get to the end of the episode and can't believe it ended already.

They have done a great job building characters and suspense this year. I can't wait for the finale next week! This is now perhaps my favorite show this year somehow. Amazing.
post #139 of 277 Old 10-11-2010, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post

Wow. No replies to last night's show yet. I know Sunday is a big night for good shows, but this one has moved just about to the top of my DVR - even for Sundays.

I thought it was another, super, interesting, engaging episode. I absolutely love the writing in this show. I am so invested in the characters - almost every one of them too - that I seem to always get to the end of the episode and can't believe it ended already.

They have done a great job building characters and suspense this year. I can't wait for the finale next week! This is now perhaps my favorite show this year somehow. Amazing.

We usually see more posts later on in the week as people get to watch it .

Wow what can I say this show continues to be one of the best written and like the poster above I am invested heavily in almsot every character. The evolution we have Spangler go though from confident leader, to being afraid of the ones he thought he was controlling is amazing. Cant wait to the season finale either , ill be sad to see the show go though as it is one of the highlights on Sunday for me. Hopefully AMC knows what they have here and renew for a second season. Even if this is a 1 season show, I think it has done a wonderful job from begining to end.
post #140 of 277 Old 10-11-2010, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

a few episodes back, spangler told (will (?)) he has a son in college.

last night, the college age looking 'kateb' (forgot his anglo name) was playing kansas 'wayward son' on his boat stereo as he left its dock enroute to the scene of the dirty deed.

so i'm now sort of wondering, is 'kateb' spanglers 'wayward' son?

wouldn't that be something...

10' from 84" screen.

post #141 of 277 Old 10-11-2010, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

a few episodes back, spangler told (will (?)) he has a son in college.

last night, the college age looking 'kateb' (forgot his anglo name) was playing kansas 'wayward son' on his boat stereo as he left its dock enroute to the scene of the dirty deed.

so i'm now sort of wondering, is 'kateb' spanglers 'wayward' son?

wouldn't that be something...

While it would be interesting I dont think it will turn out to be him. Spangler did give Kateb's picture an extra long glance though . Also, when the operation had been completed, the littel smirk on Spanglers face was perfect for the scene .
post #142 of 277 Old 10-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
So, how many shows have the disaster occur that our protagonists have been trying to prevent all season (whether they knew it or not)? Will finally figured out that both problems were the same problem, but just a little too late. Despite the previews for next week, I have absolutely no idea what is actually going to happen. Just an amazing show. I just sent my email to AMC asking for renewal.
post #143 of 277 Old 10-11-2010, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottenst View Post

Will finally figured out that both problems were the same problem, but just a little too late.

also, you noticed at the end of last nights episode that Will cried at the end?
i think he was remembering the last time he was 'just a little too late'.

ie being late picking his wife and child up at the world trade center on 9/11. had he not been late, they might not have perished in that holocaust.

10' from 84" screen.

post #144 of 277 Old 10-11-2010, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

To put it mildly, Rubicon gives us a lot to think about. Whether true or not, I find fascinating the speculation about whether the Islamic American terrorist Kateb/Joe is (or was) the mysterious son who Spangler had told Will about. I have no idea whether Kateb/Joe survived the explosion of his boat if, indeed, that was what happened to cause the Galveston tanker disaster. I am also wondering where Katherine Rhumor is and whether she is safe. I hope that we get the answers to both riddles.

I thought that Will's finally having figured out what Kateb/Joe was going to do but too late, and Will's reaction to it, were gut wrenching.
post #145 of 277 Old 10-11-2010, 02:54 PM

After last week's episode I was a little worried about this week because I thought it would tough to follow that in a believable way without some kind of let down. Well, I shouldn't have worried - another fantastic episode this week. I'm really looking forward to the finale and I'm not going to worry about a let down any longer. The people responsible for putting this show together have earned my trust. Great work by all involved with this production.
post #146 of 277 Old 10-11-2010, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To put it mildly, Rubicon gives us a lot to think about. Whether true or not, I find fascinating the speculation about whether the Islamic American terrorist Kateb/Joe is (or was) the mysterious son who Spangler had told Will about. I have no idea whether Kateb/Joe survived the explosion of his boat if, indeed, that was what happened to cause the Galveston tanker disaster. I am also wondering where Katherine Rhumor is and whether she is safe. I hope that we get the answers to both riddles.

I thought that Will's finally having figured out what Kateb/Joe was going to do but too late, and Will's reaction to it, were gut wrenching.

Katherine went to go get the DVD that her and Tom always watched on thier anniversary. They showed this, but didnt show where she went after that we can only speculate that she either went back to her old apartment or the safehouse.

The real question is what is actually on the DVD, I have a huge gut feeling that its not the movie, but either some type of data, or a full confessional from her husband.
post #147 of 277 Old 10-11-2010, 05:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Katherine went to go get the DVD that her and Tom always watched on thier anniversary. They showed this, but didnt show where she went after that we can only speculate that she either went back to her old apartment or the safehouse.

The real question is what is actually on the DVD, I have a huge gut feeling that its not the movie, but either some type of data, or a full confessional from her husband.

That's exactly what I thought when we saw it, there's no movie but a video of her husband exposing everything and/or some data as you say.

I still can't get over how perfectly done the suspense was built up over the length of the season, I don't think I've seen another show that has done this so well, and it's an extremely intelligently written show to boot. Simply outstanding.
post #148 of 277 Old 10-11-2010, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

i thought will had asked her to get 'the tape'. so i'm thinking that maybe 'the tape' might be one of the dvds in the case with 'some type of data, or a full confession from her husband' on one of the discs.

10' from 84" screen.

post #149 of 277 Old 10-12-2010, 05:32 AM

Totally agree..another outstanding episode. I'll tell you this if Koteb is Spangler's son this will be such an outstanding surprise that we haven't seen since last year's finale of Dexter. Kudos to the poster who thought of this. Anything less now might be a disppointment.

One of the things I really like about Rubicon is that there was zero violence until will shot his would be assassin. When there is violence every week (sometimes every few minutes like in 24) it desensitizes the viewer to it. Like everything good (imo) it must be subtle. When Will shot his his assassin my wife and I were stunned...so unexpected was it.

AMC re-up now!!
post #150 of 277 Old 10-12-2010, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theob View Post

One of the things I really like about Rubicon is that there was zero violence until will shot his would be assassin. When there is violence every week (sometimes every few minutes like in 24) it desensitizes the viewer to it. Like everything good (imo) it must be subtle. When Will shot his his assassin my wife and I were stunned...so unexpected was it.

I agree that the Rubicon writers' minimalist approach to violence has been very effective. Sometimes they even crank in a little ambiguity, which is also very effective. I thought the way we were shown the huge cache of explosives on Kateb/Joe's boat but were not definitively told that those explosives were used in the Galveston tanker explosion really worked. Anyway it left me dying to find out what did cause the tanker explosion.

What made me worry about Katherine's safety was that we were never shown what became of her after she found the Meet Me in St. Louis DVD. I worried about her because a picture of her that Spangler had demonstrated that Spangler's people had been watching her.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page