post #1 of 122 Old 07-11-2010, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 387

Quote:

Monday 7/12 10/9c

RIZZOLI & ISLES follows Boston detective Jane Rizzoli (Harmon) and medical examiner Maura Isles (Sasha Alexander), complete opposites and good friends who solve crimes and bust some of Boston's most notorious criminals. Growing up at opposite ends of the economic spectrum, the two remain strikingly different from one another in many ways. Jane, the only female detective in Boston's homicide division, is a tough and gutsy cop who doesn't let her guard down (except with Maura), dodges her overprotective mother and is better at basketball than her brother. Maura, meanwhile, is usually more comfortable among the dead than the living. She is always impeccably dressed in designer duds with a steady, sometimes icy temperament. And she is working on curbing her tendency to diagnose the people she meets - including her first dates. Jane and Maura often find themselves working together as both use their brilliant minds and expertise to figure out the who done it as well as the how done it of Boston's most complex cases.

Despite their many differences, Jane and Maura are best friends, with a quirky and supportive relationship. As Tamaro explains, That Jane and Maura are so different and yet so effective as a team makes them unusual. There's something rare about their relationship that I see in the world but not enough on television: two smart, strong, competent women who instinctively drop the protective shield when they're with each other.

RIZZOLI & ISLES also stars Lorraine Bracco (The Sopranos) as Angela, Jane's demanding and intrusive mother; Lee Thompson Young (FlashForward) as Det. Barry Frost, Jane's somewhat green partner; Bruce McGill (Law Abiding Citizen) as Det. Vince Korsak, Jane's seasoned former partner; and Jordan Bridges (Dawson's Creek) as Jane's brother, Frankie, a patrol cop who hopes one day to become a detective.

http://www.tnt.tv/series/rizzoliandisles/

This looks like it will be one cop show too many for me but I'll give the first episode a shot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 Old 07-11-2010, 07:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Though it was interesting that Turner decided to advertise this on CBS the other night.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 122 Old 07-12-2010, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Taking an opportunity to pick up Sasha's fans from NCIS days?

TerryB
post #4 of 122 Old 07-12-2010, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I REALLY hope this does not become the "Serial Killer of the Week" show. Tonight and again next week? Come on.

It was OK, need a bit more character development. Has a very "Bones" feel to it, don't know if that's a good thing. The original serial killer seems very familiar. Familiar in the sense that 90% of the serial killers on TV show share the same characteristics, are they all that smarmy in real life? I don't think so. I'll chalk it up to bad casting.
post #5 of 122 Old 07-12-2010, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Similar feeling here... I watched because I happen to like both of the female leads from other shows they were on... but noted at the end of the episode that there wasn't much detecting that happened. They technically "solved" the crime by the end with the copycat killer... but it was almost like an afterthought.

Also noted that next week looks like another serial killer... and hoped that will not be the theme of every week.

Will stay with it for a bit and see how it develops since it comes on after the Closer, and again I like the leads + also liked the older guy whose name escapes me but I've seen him on a few movies and liked him as well.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #6 of 122 Old 07-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I liked it, although Angie Harmon played nearly the exact same character in Women's Murder Club. Stana Katic does a much better job of playing the sexy, yet tough as nails female detective on Castle. Actually, so does Robin Tunney on The Mentalist.

Hard to beat Sasha Alexander's Brainiac medical examiner, though. They could build a series around her if this show doesn't pan out.
post #7 of 122 Old 07-13-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Angie Harmon was a guest on Jimmy Fallon's show last night. Wow! She is stunningly beautiful and looked absolutely gorgeous! She was wearing a short dress which is a nice departure from the pants she typically wears in her TV shows.
post #8 of 122 Old 07-13-2010, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 174
From Fredfa's "Hot Off The Press" thread at the top of the 'HDTV Programming' page:

Nielsen Overnights
Big Debut For 'Rizzoli & Isles', 'Closer' Returns Strong
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com's TV Editor - July 13th, 2010

TNT’s new original series Rizzoli & Isles drew some 7.6 million viewers for its premiere last night to rank as the most watched ad-supported cable series launch of all time with commercials. (Overall, it is close second to the commercial-free 2008 debut of the now-defunct TNT legal drama Raising the Bar, which attracted 7.7 million viewers.) The series, starring Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander, held onto almost 100% of its lead-in, the sixth-season premiere of The Closer, which delivered an also impressive 7.7 million viewers, up 7% over its fifth-season premiere last June. That means that TNT may have found a perfect companion for the Kyra Sedgwick-starring drama, with the two shows lifting each other up. Rizzoli & Isles, starring Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander, built on its lead-in from The Closer among key adult demos, with 2.1 million adults 18-49 and 2.7 million adults 25-54.
 Lorraine Bracco co-stars on the Warner Horizon series based on Tess Gerritsen’s novels.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/rati...ng/#more-53508

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 122 Old 07-13-2010, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Well, I liked it. Beats Rookie Blue, or whatever it''s called.
post #10 of 122 Old 07-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I liked it, both ladies were good in their roles.
post #11 of 122 Old 07-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

I liked it a lot, but then again I am a big Angie Harmon fan and rather fond of Sasha Alexander as well. I thought it was well paced and overall a very good pilot. I look forward to seeing where this goes.

"There's gotta be some way to hook it up, it's the freakin' future" - Eric Cartman
post #12 of 122 Old 07-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Did like Rizolli having Dragnet as her ringtone.
post #13 of 122 Old 07-14-2010, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I thought it was just ok but will give it a few more weeks then decide
post #14 of 122 Old 07-14-2010, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post

Did like Rizolli having Dragnet as her ringtone.

Yes and the dog was named Joe Friday.

Jury is still out on this one. Will give it a week or two more.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #15 of 122 Old 07-14-2010, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I finally got to watch Monday's episode from my DVR.

Nobody mentioned this but...

They got away with saying "tits" and "********" (you know, bull droppings)? On basic cable?? This is TNT remember?
post #16 of 122 Old 07-15-2010, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

They got away with saying "tits" and "********" (you know, bull droppings)? On basic cable?? This is TNT remember?

I assume you never watched 'Saving Grace' then, otherwise you wouldn't have given the language a 2nd thought.
post #17 of 122 Old 07-15-2010, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

i assume you never watched 'saving grace' then, otherwise you wouldn't have given the language a 2nd thought.

+1

Bobby 

post #18 of 122 Old 07-15-2010, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I assume you never watched 'Saving Grace' then, otherwise you wouldn't have given the language a 2nd thought.

No I don't. R&I is the only program on TNT that I record. I'm on the west coast and I thought I'm recording the feed that comes out at 7:00 PM in my area, so that would be the 10:00 PM east coast time feed. Since it's after 10:00 PM, the rules are relaxed somewhat (conjecture on my part).

I'll have to check my DVR to see what time I'm recording the show. If it's 10:00 PM locally, then I'm wrong about this whole thing.

I was just surprised to hear the words come out. It's not HBO, Showtime or Starz (premium channels all, different rules), TNT has been a long time basic cable channel.
post #19 of 122 Old 07-15-2010, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

No I don't. R&I is the only program on TNT that I record. I'm on the west coast and I thought I'm recording the feed that comes out at 7:00 PM in my area, so that would be the 10:00 PM east coast time feed. Since it's after 10:00 PM, the rules are relaxed somewhat (conjecture on my part).

I'll have to check my DVR to see what time I'm recording the show. If it's 10:00 PM locally, then I'm wrong about this whole thing.

I was just surprised to hear the words come out. It's not HBO, Showtime or Starz (premium channels all, different rules), TNT has been a long time basic cable channel.

It definitely came on at 10:00 pm(ET). It followed 'The Closer'.
post #20 of 122 Old 07-15-2010, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

nope, same rules
cable networks just self police to appease advertisers and fanatics
post #21 of 122 Old 07-16-2010, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I rechecked the scheduled recording. It's at 10:00 PM on Mondays (yes, we now get shows on west coast feed), so the language stuff is not really an issue that would get the FCC in a snit.
post #22 of 122 Old 07-16-2010, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I rechecked the scheduled recording. It's at 10:00 PM on Mondays (yes, we now get shows on west coast feed), so the language stuff is not really an issue that would get the FCC in a snit.

The FCC does not govern cable networks!!!!!!!!
post #23 of 122 Old 07-16-2010, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

The FCC does not govern cable networks!!!!!!!!

Yes they do. It is the rules for cable and pay cable (HBO) are different than OTA.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #24 of 122 Old 07-16-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

Yes they do. It is the rules for cable and pay cable (HBO) are different than OTA.

We are talking about a cable net, which they DO NOT in regards to profanity

http://www.fcc.gov/eb/oip/FAQ.html

Do the FCC's rules apply to cable and satellite programming? In the past, the FCC has enforced the indecency and profanity prohibitions only against conventional broadcast services, not against subscription programming services such as cable and satellite. However, the prohibition against obscene programming applies to subscription programming services at all times.
post #25 of 122 Old 07-16-2010, 05:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

We are talking about a cable net, which they DO NOT in regards to profanity

http://www.fcc.gov/eb/oip/FAQ.html

Do the FCC's rules apply to cable and satellite programming? In the past, the FCC has enforced the indecency and profanity prohibitions only against conventional broadcast services, not against subscription programming services such as cable and satellite. However, the prohibition against obscene programming applies to subscription programming services at all times.

Your posting made my point. But you better go back and reread it. Particularly the last sentence of Paragraph 17 of the URL you posted. Again, Paragraph 17 says in its entirety:

That includes ALL subscription services and basic cable IS a form of subscription service, not just HBO. The first sentence after the bold says it all.

post #26 of 122 Old 07-17-2010, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The language was tame based on what you see on FX's original shows on a regular basis. Are you really that worked up about 2 words in the entire show?
post #27 of 122 Old 07-18-2010, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I finally watched the 1st one on DVR tonight.

It's ok...they need to work out some things in the writing. They're best friends but Rizzoli has no idea that she has a tortoise in her house?

How they wrapped up the suspects being linked at the end was pretty bad. The FBI can't figure it out but within 3 minutes a cop from Boston figures it out for them. Oooookay
post #28 of 122 Old 07-18-2010, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

How they wrapped up the suspects being linked at the end was pretty bad. The FBI can't figure it out but within 3 minutes a cop from Boston figures it out for them. Oooookay

Yeah... While it can and does happen that someone lower on the totem pole can notice something that a higher-up misses... the resolution to this case was not in that category. That the two guys had served together AND were in photos together doesn't seem like something that should have been difficult to find once the new killings started while the other guy was still in prison.

Also... the older guy's escape made those security guys look REALLY dumb.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #29 of 122 Old 07-19-2010, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes agreed on the escape as well. The show has potential but they need better writing then what they had. I also don't see much chemistry between the two female leads. They seem uncomfortable on camera together most of the time.
post #30 of 122 Old 07-19-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Or watched an episode of 'Rescue Me' on FX. They swear all the time on there.

-Matt
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page