'Nikita' on The CW HD - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-16-2010, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked: 802
I just noticed that this is scheduled opposite Fringe and CSI. Bold move on their part, which might tank the series.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2010, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Everything on the CW affiliate (WXIN/WTTV) is NOT widescreen tonight (Vampire Diaries, Nikita), including the syndicated 2.5 Men. I tried calling engineering, but no live person.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Old 09-16-2010, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I liked tonight's episode. This show isn't the typical CW show, thank goodness for that. I'm gonna stick with this one. DVR is set, it already was, but I'm leaving it there. I thought Maggie Q looked especially good tonight.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 784
There was a conflict on my DVR and Nikita didn't make the cut. Looks like I have to wait until the next showing to see this one.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Old 09-17-2010, 02:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I just noticed that this is scheduled opposite Fringe and CSI. Bold move on their part, which might tank the series.

Fringe maybe, but CSI while still fairly highly rated skews so old it's of no relevance. Either way, the same argument could be made for any timeslot since everything on big 4 smacks most of CW's lineup. The fact that it's against Grey's is more notable, since that's the net's key demo.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Despite some .50 cal sniper action, hand to hand combat and shootouts in a hotel room and "NYC" (lol) subway, I found the second episode to be fairly unexciting, it's basically a typical, average Canadian production like Flashpoint. Visually, the show looks really good, I'm assuming it's shot on HD video.
Alex is vaguely reminding me of Faith...
Old 09-17-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

There was a conflict on my DVR and Nikita didn't make the cut. Looks like I have to wait until the next showing to see this one.

CW will repeat last night's "Nikita" and Wednesday's "Hellcats" tonight (Friday) to keep Friday's primetime slots warm for next week's return of "Smallville" (and the return in October of "Supernatural"). So no freaking excuses Waboman!
Old 09-17-2010, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Except perhaps here in New Orleans. Our CW affiliate time shifts the network schedule an hour later.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Everything on the CW affiliate (WXIN/WTTV) is NOT widescreen tonight (Vampire Diaries, Nikita), including the syndicated 2.5 Men. I tried calling engineering, but no live person.

I emailed them last night and called them today, no replies as of now.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 43
As a long time fan of the original series, this reboot is just horrible. Maggie Q isn't enough to save it from early cancellation imo.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Looks like this show will be darker in tone as well, as I had hoped (loved the Cleaner and his wicked curved knives).

- Being a big weapons fan, I geeked out when I saw that the cleaner had a Karambit. It was actually an Emerson Super Karambit. It's a wicked knife.

Here's a video of the Emerson Combat Karambit (smaller) in action. It actually has a "Wave" hook that catches the edge of your pocket and automatically deploys as you draw it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIYnp...eature=related
Old 09-17-2010, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMichael View Post

I emailed them last night and called them today, no replies as of now.

Cool. I guessed it worked out as I wasn't set up to record last night, anyway. I'll give 'em another chance tonight..

Old 09-17-2010, 06:14 PM

Hellcats is in widescreen HD tonight, so hopefully Nikita will be for you too.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

- Being a big weapons fan, I geeked out when I saw that the cleaner had a Karambit. It was actually an Emerson Super Karambit. It's a wicked knife.

Here's a video of the Emerson Combat Karambit (smaller) in action. It actually has a "Wave" hook that catches the edge of your pocket and automatically deploys as you draw it.

And that's how he did it! I slo-mo'd that scene just to see. They had to train the actor on how to do that; must have been fun. It's details like that and the real weaponry, as other posters have noted earlier, that are some of the most impressive things about this show.

But they need to work a little harder on the fight scenes. Maggie Q, besides being drop-dead gorgeous and a better actor than this genre of show typically gets, is supposed to be some martial arts expert, right? The fight scenes are shot in that ultra-close-up, quick-cut kind of style that's so prevalent right now. What's the point of employing such a skilled physical actor if you can't see what the frack they're doing? They spend all this time and resources choreographing these action scenes and then they just edit away the opportunity for the audience to appreciate their hard work. I don't understand why this technique is so popular in Hollywood these days.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

The show does indeed look good, and I was very impressed with the 5.1 mix of episode 2. Majority of broadcast dramas leave the surrounds mostly dormant.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMichael View Post

Hellcats is in widescreen HD tonight, so hopefully Nikita will be for you too.

Fixed, but they're doing some funky stuff; the first episode of syndicated Two and a Half Men was widescreen, the second was not. Prime time shows were fine tonight, but anything following (Seinfield) went back to 4:3 again. Could be genuine technical issues, I suppose.

BTW, not until this series did I realize its premise was the catalyst for Alias, not the other way around.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:54 PM

Hey guys, i've been trying to research this all week and finally found this thread. EVERYTHING i have recorded all week on the CW HD in indianapolis has been cropped to 4:3. Is this going to be permanent, because, i think most people who watch high definition channels have widescreen televisions. Thanks

Grant W (Indianapolis, IN)
Old 09-17-2010, 11:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreenw View Post

Hey guys, i've been trying to research this all week and finally found this thread. EVERYTHING i have recorded all week on the CW HD in indianapolis has been cropped to 4:3. Is this going to be permanent, because, i think most people who watch high definition channels have widescreen televisions. Thanks

You should try and reach someone at the station and ask why they're doing it. The product comes from the network with a 16x9 format HD signal. Are other shows on the station in HD?
Old 09-17-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

You should try and reach someone at the station and ask why they're doing it. The product comes from the network with a 16x9 format HD signal. Are other shows on the station in HD?

I'm not sure about all shows, but I recorded prime time shows on monday, tues, weds, and thurs that were all cropped to 4:3. In the past this station has always been in full widescreen. For awhile i kept thinking there was something wrong with Directv, but it appears that other people here have had the same problem so i guess maybe it is the station.

Grant W (Indianapolis, IN)
Old 09-17-2010, 11:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:

I'm not sure about all shows, but I recorded prime time shows on monday, tues, weds, and thurs that were all cropped to 4:3. In the past this station has always been in full widescreen. For awhile i kept thinking there was something wrong with Directv, but it appears that other people here have had the same problem so i guess maybe it is the station.

You might check in the local thread for your area and see what they say there, that way you can determine if it's DIRECTV or not as it will be happening with OTA and cable signals as well.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

CW will repeat last night's "Nikita" and Wednesday's "Hellcats" tonight (Friday) to keep Friday's primetime slots warm for next week's return of "Smallville" (and the return in October of "Supernatural"). So no freaking excuses Waboman!

Lol. My DVR got it this time and I just watched it. I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to next weeks episode. Though the "shadow tech" computer geek needs a good ass kicking.

Wondering if I'm gonna run into scheduling conflicts on my DVR. Fringe takes higher priority (love that show). I just can't remember what the other conflict was. I'm getting old...

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Old 09-18-2010, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's the station (WXIN). I don't know if they've got a new guy flippin' the "switch", or what. But if it continues into next week, I'm gonna barrage them with emails and "blow-up" their answering machine..

Old 09-18-2010, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Wondering if I'm gonna run into scheduling conflicts on my DVR. Fringe takes higher priority (love that show). I just can't remember what the other conflict was. I'm getting old...

Probably CSI or Grey's.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post

the .50 sniper rifle she wields in the second episode is a Steyr HS, according to imfdb.

When she whipped that thing out......

I loved the first series and this reboot is keeping my attention.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I really don't consider this to be a "reboot" of the first series; the term might apply if the origin of the story was a television series, but it wasn't.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I really don't consider this to be a "reboot" of the first series; the term might apply if the origin of the story was a television series, but it wasn't.

Obviously, I don't agree. Most of the media covering this series has called it a reboot.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post

Obviously, I don't agree. Most of the media covering this series has called it a reboot.

Like the media are some sort of experts on the topic of what is a "reboot" and what isn't? Do the creators call it a reboot? I doubt it.

It's not based on the earlier TV series, it's based on the film. To my mind it's a hell of a lot closer to the spirit of the film (which I loved) than the earlier series (which I admittedly hated ).

Old 09-20-2010, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Like the media are some sort of experts on the topic of what is a "reboot" and what isn't? Do the creators call it a reboot? I doubt it.

It's not based on the earlier TV series, it's based on the film. To my mind it's a hell of a lot closer to the spirit of the film (which I loved) than the earlier series (which I admittedly hated ).

I'm not sure where I read it (probably on the Hot Off The Press thread) but the producer of the show refers to it as a "sequake" a combination of a sequel and a remake. It's kind of similar to Bryan Singer's "Superman Returns" from a few years ago, which obviously had different actors, and was set in a different time period, but yet was still sort of a sequel to the first two Christopher Reeve movies.

Rocky
Old 09-20-2010, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Gave this show a try, but it just did not hold my interest. MQ is hot, but that's not enough...

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieB-oz View Post

Except perhaps here in New Orleans. Our CW affiliate time shifts the network schedule an hour later.

Denver's KWGN runs the CW programming one hour later too.

This is the first CW program I've actually watched. I don't fit into the CW's core demographic, which means that Nikita has a lot wider appeal than the typical CW show. I enjoyed the pilot. Haven't watched the second episode, but that's normal since I DVR everything.

You really have to suspend belief for the idea that Maggie Q can snap a man's neck like a twig,carry a 50 cal sniper rifle around, etc.

It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?