post #91 of 116 Old 02-07-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Desmond View Post

So while they'll likely do some editing, it's likely to be on the order of a couple minutes per episode instead seven minutes per episode.

A couple of minutes is still a lot of program. Personally, I believe that any editing is wrong.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 116 Old 02-11-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

A couple of minutes is still a lot of program. Personally, I believe that any editing is wrong.

I prefer unedited to edited broadcasts. But given a choice of losing two minutes versus losing seven minutes, I'll take the former.

And it's not like editing programs to allow for more commercial time is anything recent -- I remember seeing our local independent station (KSTW Channel 11 in Tacoma) chopping the hell out of "Star Trek" and "Hogan's Heroes" reruns back in the mid to late seventies. If the commercial load was lower than usual and the butchering thus less severe, I counted that as a good thing...
post #93 of 116 Old 02-12-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Combat never left a set standing! They had their area of the MGM back lot. As soon as all the fake buildings were destroyed, they moved onto a freshly rebuilt section while they rebuilt the part they had just blown up. I don't know if they reused these for other productions.

I'm not sure where you heard that, but watching episodes back to back, I can clearly see the same few streets slightly redecorated being used again and again.
post #94 of 116 Old 02-22-2012, 12:43 PM

Liked: 11
EPIX aired an episode of The Outer Limits (1963) during "Shatner Pa-loooza" in HD.

Season 2, Episode 2 - Cold Hands, Warm Heart. It looked pretty good.

I don't know if they had this single episode scanned in just for this event or if the entire series has been scanned in in HD. However, this is the first and only time I've seen this show surface in HD.
post #95 of 116 Old 02-23-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontail60 View Post

EPIX aired an episode of The Outer Limits (1963) during "Shatner Pa-loooza" in HD.

I don't know if they had this single episode scanned in just for this event or if the entire series has been scanned in in HD. However, this is the first and only time I've seen this show surface in HD.

I read about them showing that episode and one other last year. Did they show it again recently? I'd like to try to catch it. Thanks.

Doug
post #96 of 116 Old 02-23-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33

"Pretty good" and The Outer Limits are mutually exclusive.

CW Hinkle
post #97 of 116 Old 02-23-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

"Pretty good" and The Outer Limits are mutually exclusive.

Statements like this confuse me. Are you saying that, in your opinion, The Outer Limits was usually very good, or very bad? I really liked the original series, and purchased the DVD set of it. Someone really screwed that up though.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #98 of 116 Old 02-23-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Statements like this confuse me. Are you saying that, in your opinion, The Outer Limits was usually very good, or very bad? I really liked the original series, and purchased the DVD set of it. Someone really screwed that up though.

How did they screw it up? It looked fairly good (for DVD).

That said, I'd love to have both seasons in HD, based upon new masters, and w/ subtitles, and lossless audio (2.0 mono, please), and how about one or two documentaries about the series?

Doug
post #99 of 116 Old 02-23-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I'm not sure where you heard that, but watching episodes back to back, I can clearly see the same few streets slightly redecorated being used again and again.

The episodes were not aired in the order that they were shot.

This is explained on the director's commentary on the DVDs. Look for episodes directed by Robert Altman or Ted Post. These two are fountains of information about television production in the 60's.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #100 of 116 Old 02-23-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Double post - sorry!
post #101 of 116 Old 02-23-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

At the risk of seeming a troll (I guess I am as far as The Outer Limits is concerned), I would say not necessarily very bad, but I am hard pressed to think of any episodes that are much better than a hair over mediocre. Even the makers of the show admitted they had no budget to begin with and by the second season they had even less (I think some of the last shows are among the best, or, at any rate, least worst).

I bought the set when I found it cheap some years back, figuring surely there were some shows that were good-ish other than The Galaxy Being, The Sixth Finger, The Man Who Was Never Born and The Zanti Misfits, but for the most they were what I sized them up to be when they were first broadcast: simple-minded science fiction with monsters (some, admittedly, pretty creepy-looking) and lots and lots of talk. And Robert Towne wrote for the show!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

I agree that the transfer looked good. Lots of Conrad Hall photography with high contrast and super-duper wide-angle lenses. Very grainy, and about all high-def would get you would be sharper film grain.

CW Hinkle
post #102 of 116 Old 02-23-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

That said, I'd love to have both seasons in HD, based upon new masters, and w/ subtitles, and lossless audio (2.0 mono, please), and how about one or two documentaries about the series?

Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

At the risk of seeming a troll (I guess I am as far as The Outer Limits is concerned), I would say not necessarily very bad, but I am hard pressed to think of any episodes that are much better than a hair over mediocre. Even the makers of the show admitted they had no budget to begin with and by the second season they had even less (I think some of the last shows are among the best, or, at any rate, least worst).

I bought the set when I found it cheap some years back, figuring surely there were some shows that were good-ish other than The Galaxy Being, The Sixth Finger, The Man Who Was Never Born and The Zanti Misfits, but for the most they were what I sized them up to be when they were first broadcast: simple-minded science fiction with monsters (some, admittedly, pretty creepy-looking) and lots and lots of talk. And Robert Towne wrote for the show!

I agree that the transfer looked good. Lots of Conrad Hall photography with high contrast and super-duper wide-angle lenses. Very grainy, and about all high-def would get you would be sharper film grain.

I thought Demon with a Glass Hand was very good, for example.

They messed it up in the sense that 1) there were "chapter marks" during each of the episodes, but they were not where the commercials were, in in most cases, were not in any logical place at all. I did not mean the quality of the video was bad, just the person responsible for that aspect of the DVD making was completely out-to-lunch on that. And 2) mine at least were made on dual sided, dual layer disks! I really HATE that!

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #103 of 116 Old 02-24-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought Demon with a Glass Hand was very good, for example.

They messed it up in the sense that 1) there were "chapter marks" during each of the episodes, but they were not where the commercials were, in in most cases, were not in any logical place at all. I did not mean the quality of the video was bad, just the person responsible for that aspect of the DVD making was completely out-to-lunch on that. And 2) mine at least were made on dual sided, dual layer disks! I really HATE that!

Thanks for clarifying. I guess I never used the chapter breaks, but that is definitely a flaw. Also, I agree w/ you about the double-sided discs. So far, I haven't ruined any, but it's always a worry.

Doug
post #104 of 116 Old 07-06-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just announced: The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series Blu-ray in October

On Image Entertainment, Inc.'s web site there appears a listing for The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series Blu-ray set to be released in October 30 of this year.

The 5-season set of the popular 1960's TV series, winner of 15 Emmy Awards and staring Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore will have all 157 episodes, spread through out 15 Blu-ray discs and it has been mastered in High Definition. The series had been released previously on a 25-DVD set full with features 7 years ago. No details of what features or how many will be included on the BD set are available at the moment.

Most shows make it to television in HD before being sold as a set. THe only exception I can reacall is The Twilight Zone. I can assume that now some of the channels will transmit "The Dick Van Dyke" show in HD?
post #105 of 116 Old 07-06-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 247
It would depend on the channel. Networks like MeTV that are often on sub-channels wouldn't have enough bandwidth available to broadcast in HD, so they probably won't change anything. Networks without that restriction might upgrade.
post #106 of 116 Old 07-07-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 74
If Image does the Dick Van Dyke show on BD anywhere as great as they handled Twilight Zone, we should be in for a treat.
post #107 of 116 Old 07-07-2012, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

Most shows make it to television in HD before being sold as a set. THe only exception I can reacall is The Twilight Zone. I can assume that now some of the channels will transmit "The Dick Van Dyke" show in HD?
Star Trek TNG is another. Since the conversion isn't yet finished, I doubt CBS will update the syndication versions until the entire series is complete, particularly since some film elements were stored out of place and they've had to go back and redo a few things as they've found material they thought was lost.
post #108 of 116 Old 07-08-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
TV Land HD is coming to Time Warner Cable at the end of this month.
post #109 of 116 Old 07-13-2012, 07:54 PM

The comment about I love Lucy in hd... In one of my visits to cbs television city. Several yrs back the video library manager took us in some of the tape vaults.. One of the items I picked off the shelf was a can of I love Lucy 35 mm film.. I ask you it was there and they were going to do a hd transfer on it.. So it's definitely been thought of...
post #110 of 116 Old 07-13-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalker3 View Post

The comment about I love Lucy in hd... In one of my visits to cbs television city. Several yrs back the video library manager took us in some of the tape vaults.. One of the items I picked off the shelf was a can of I love Lucy 35 mm film.. I ask you it was there and they were going to do a hd transfer on it.. So it's definitely been thought of...

According to a industry magazine article about 8 or so years ago (it is in the AVS archive somewhere), I Love Lucy was digitally remastered to HD.

In the article was a side by side picture of the untouched frame and the same frame remastered in digital HD. The difference was stunning. Why it hasn't been released in HD is something that only CBS can answer since they own the rights as well as the actual film having bought it for $4 million from Desi and Lucy when Desilu bought RKO Pictures having come to realize after the fact that filmed scripted shows had value in something new called "syndication", something that Desi Arnaz unknowingly invented when he put his own money up to shot I Love Lucy with three 35mm film cameras, after CBS wanted a kinescope film version shot from video because it was cheaper to produce.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #111 of 116 Old 07-14-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

According to a industry magazine article about 8 or so years ago (it is in the AVS archive somewhere), I Love Lucy was digitally remastered to HD.
In the article was a side by side picture of the untouched frame and the same frame remastered in digital HD. The difference was stunning. Why it hasn't been released in HD is something that only CBS can answer since they own the rights as well as the actual film having bought it for $4 million from Desi and Lucy when Desilu bought RKO Pictures having come to realize after the fact that filmed scripted shows had value in something new called "syndication", something that Desi Arnaz unknowingly invented when he put his own money up to shot I Love Lucy with three 35mm film cameras, after CBS wanted a kinescope film version shot from video because it was cheaper to produce.
To add to that, Desi realized that shooting with 3 cameras wasn't exponentially more expensive than using one because there was a huge savings in the amount of time it took to shoot by not having to move the camera and lights. By using a fixed lighting grid and 3 cameras, they could shoot a scene much more quickly by getting all the angles in every take.

It also helped with audience reaction to the jokes, since they were fresher without the need to do them a half a dozen times. Plus, waiting to move equipment around makes your audience restless. Now days, they can use what is known as "sweetening" (adding fake laughter to fill out what the audience reax was) or simply use the reaction from another take. For example, "Home Improvement" often used audience reaction from rehearsals performed in front of an audience.

One thing to note, Desi got away with a lot of what he did due to a lack of understanding about TV show financing. Shows would amortize the initial costs (like sets used throughout the series) over the course of the season. Desi calculated those costs into the pilot, meaning all the episodes that came after appeared far cheaper by comparison. By not having those initial costs partially included in each episode, it made the extra expenses of production appear less expensive than they really were.
post #112 of 116 Old 07-14-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

One thing to note, Desi got away with a lot of what he did due to a lack of understanding about TV show financing.

I wouldn't call that "lack of understanding." I would call it genus! biggrin.gif

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #113 of 116 Old 07-15-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I wouldn't call that "lack of understanding." I would call it genus! biggrin.gif
Well, now it is since he was able to buy back the rights to his own product for far less than he sold it for...

...but, if you require everything to be paid for up front in the pilot with current costs, you won't get your series made based on the high cost of the pilot. It would likely be assumed the pilot cost is reflective of the cost of the rest of the season. As a result, I don't think that tactic would work well today.
post #114 of 116 Old 07-15-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Quote:

Well, now it is since he was able to buy back the rights to his own product for far less than he sold it for...

...but, if you require everything to be paid for up front in the pilot with current costs, you won't get your series made based on the high cost of the pilot. It would likely be assumed the pilot cost is reflective of the cost of the rest of the season. As a result, I don't think that tactic would work well today.

I was making a joke. I know no one makes TV series like anymore. No one would invest.

post #115 of 116 Old 07-22-2012, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Best of I Love Lucy Seasons 1 - 5 are available via iTunes in HD 1080p. Best of Seasons 1 and 2 are available via Amazon in HD and are free with Prime sub.

"With the advent of high-definition television, home viewers will see actors with extreme clarity and detail. Thus they will demand the stars of "Sex and the City" change their names to "The Golden Girls." -Conan O'Brien, In The Year 2000: Ted Danson Edition-
post #116 of 116 Old 07-25-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was making a joke. I know no one makes TV series like anymore. No one would invest.
Oh, I know you were joking...of course, it should be pointed out that no one ever made shows quite like Desilu did.

Heck, when you have Lucy saying, about Star Trek, something along the lines of "I don't understand any of it, but I think people will like it", you know you're not talking about a typical executive.

Now days, if a studio chiefs don't get it, they assume no one will.

"Can we put some sort of explainer in there - then add a cartoon cat that likes pizza with anchovies?"
"Actually, sir, it might be funnier if the cat didn't like anchovies..."
"Brilliant! Greenlight it!"
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page