post #5041 of 6691 Old 11-22-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I'm a Tabasco or El Yucateca man myself.

Both excellent of course. You'd think these guys could find some chickens and have some eggs. I'm getting hungry dammit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 6691 Old 11-22-2013, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog35 View Post

No joke on the shotgun. Point and shoot. With the proper round, a head shot wouldn't really matter since you just need to disable the walker's movement (99% of the time). As rotted as they are, the business end of a shotgun at those ranges they normally get into trouble (inside buildings, hallways, etc.) would tear a walker in half. It takes little technical skill to learn versus a handgun/rifle/mortar. Plus, shotgun rounds are impossibly easy to reload compared to rifle or handgun rounds, since you can put just about anything into the shot-end and get the desired effect (versus being forced to forge new bullets eventually).

Speaking of mortars...when are we going to see some actual artillery used against these massive herds? All the armory gear they have raided and acquired and no one snagged an RPG or rocket launcher? Seriously...talk about making a dent in a herd quickly!

I am surprised they have not had more shotgun use on the show to be honest. Probably because they don't look as tacti-cool as an AR or pistol. And, I am sure where these characters are located, there would be a TON of shotguns in homes compared to "assault" rifles. Tons of upland and waterfowl there. There I go again using logic on a TV show with backwards holsters and only one character (Carl) capable of outfitting his weapon with a homemade silencer.

Just to be clear, I still enjoy watching the show:)

I'm not saying the show is this deep but; shotgun ammunition carries a very high weight+volume per round penalty. Not to mention the need to manually reload every four rounds. Using a shotgun as walker defense weapon is, IMO, a recipe for disaster.

post #5043 of 6691 Old 11-22-2013, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Four rounds??? What kind of shotgun are you talking about? Semi-automatics hold more than 4 rounds. Those assault jobbies the cops use do too.
post #5044 of 6691 Old 11-22-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Standard Mossberg 590, 8+1. In each hand of course. smile.gif

Couple bandoliers, heavy for sure, but you GOT to be in shape for the Z Apocalypse !
fhall1 likes this.
post #5045 of 6691 Old 11-22-2013, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

Four rounds??? What kind of shotgun are you talking about? Semi-automatics hold more than 4 rounds. Those assault jobbies the cops use do too.

"The most successful pump shotgun of all time", Remington model 870. Three rounds of 3" 00 shot in the magazine and one in the chamber. I'm sure Street Sweepers would be in pretty short supply and highly impractical. They only carry 7-12 rounds as well.

post #5046 of 6691 Old 11-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

Depends on what model but I'd say far and away the majority of pump/auto shotguns hold no more than 4 in the tube, plus 1 in the chamber. My Beretta Urika holds 3+1 for example. Now, extended magazine tubes are available for many models out there. My dad has a Benelli that will hold 11 (tube is a bit longer than the barrel).

Shotguns wouldn't be the best choice of weapon in a zombie apocalypse IMO, except maybe for non-shooters. And even then it would be necessary to get them on a pattern board of some kind. A lot of people think by pointing a shotgun in the general direction of something will "blow them away" or some such. You'd be far better off with something that has removable magazines, far far quicker to reload more rounds. For a pistol, 40 S&W or 9x19mm because ammo would be very plentiful. A CAR-15/M4 for a rifle would be my choice. The ultimate would be an MP5-SD. Very very quiet, reasonably accurate out to at least 50 meters, and lets face it, your not going to be doing head shots at longer ranges than that. And it works with any supersonic 9x19mm, ammo is plentiful. But, they're in rather short supply.
post #5047 of 6691 Old 11-22-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Guns of the WD, Mossberg 590 is mentioned in this link:

http://www.armoryblog.com/firearms/the-guns-of-the-walking-dead/

post #5048 of 6691 Old 11-22-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

The guns some of you mentioning holding 4 rounds are probably "sportsman" models, and can be made to hold more ammo in about ten minutes.

"Sportsman" are limited to four rounds as a fair play gesture to the game you are after, or for skeet shooting. Basically, if you cant hit in four, it deserves to fly away. I guarantee none of those police models are so equipped.
darthrsg likes this.
post #5049 of 6691 Old 11-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

The guns some of you mentioning holding 4 rounds are probably "sportsman" models, and can be made to hold more ammo in about ten minutes.

"Sportsman" are limited to four rounds as a fair play gesture to the game you are after, or for skeet shooting. Basically, if you cant hit in four, it deserves to fly away. I guarantee none of those police models are so equipped.

AFAIK, migratory bird hunting in the US typically requires a plug that allows for only 3 rounds total to be loaded. As for skeet and trap you are only allowed 2 rounds (please be aware that skeet is not exactly synonymous with clay pigeon shooting).

The 18" 870 with the mag extension holds 7+1, or 6+1 3" magnums I think. I believe that's probably what most cops carry. Of course if your "foraging" for weapons the most commonly found shotguns would be hunting guns. Anyways given the choice, I'd leave my shotgun and take my AR-15. 10, 30 round mags wouldn't be too hard to carry. Try carrying 300 rounds of 12 gauge!
post #5050 of 6691 Old 11-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I'm no gun expert but I'm pretty sure everyone was scrambling for guns when the feces hit the fan and now it's a matter of finders keepers, beggars can't be choosers.
post #5051 of 6691 Old 11-22-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post

AFAIK, migratory bird hunting in the US typically requires a plug that allows for only 3 rounds total to be loaded.

Plus one in the chamber = four. Pretty easily defeatable.
Quote:

The 18" 870 with the mag extension holds 7+1, or 6+1 3" magnums I think. I believe that's probably what most cops carry.

Shanes 590 is 8+1 of 2¾ shells.

Quote:

Of course if your "foraging" for weapons the most commonly found shotguns would be hunting guns. Anyways given the choice, I'd leave my shotgun and take my AR-15. 10, 30 round mags wouldn't be too hard to carry. Try carrying 300 rounds of 12 gauge!

True, true. Just a fun conversation during the lull. smile.gif
post #5052 of 6691 Old 11-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

Plus one in the chamber = four. Pretty easily defeatable.

No, in most, if not all states, the plug must allow for only 3 total. 2 in the magazine tube + 1 in the chamber. That's for migratory waterfowl, other bird hunting may vary. For clarification, I said skeet/trap allows only 2 rounds. That's all that may be loaded at each stage, the gun can hold more.
Quote:
True, true. Just a fun conversation during the lull. smile.gif

Oh yeah, and that's what web forums are (mostly) for IMO.
post #5053 of 6691 Old 11-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Good points made by all regarding the shotty. Personally, yes, a .223 or MP5 would be my #1, with a 9mm backup. You can carry upwards of 500-700 rounds in VERY quick to swap mags.

Were it my wife, however, I'd be outfitting her with an extended mag shotgun in this universe. Considering Rick is STILL rocking a 6-shooter, I think utilizing a shotgun without the plug is analagous to what Rick rocks day-to-day. As stated, the learning curve is much gentler, and it is more forgiving in the point-and-shoot department. Of course this is with an 18" barrel and open choke:)

These conversations are much more fun than picking apart issues in the show. Thanks for the distractions guys!
darthrsg likes this.

Big Dumb Mammal
post #5054 of 6691 Old 11-22-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Thing is, bites get you infected, kill you within a couple of days.

But when they kill zombies, there's blood and other liquids splattering all over the place. Besides inhaling the spray from the zombies through their mouths or nostrils, the survivors may also be vulnerable to getting zombie juice absorbed through their eyes or any cuts in the skin.

So most of these killing methods should make the survivors vulnerable to infection, unless they were shooting at range.

Perhaps they need to look into flamethrowers.
post #5055 of 6691 Old 11-22-2013, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Thing is, bites get you infected, kill you within a couple of days.

But when they kill zombies, there's blood and other liquids splattering all over the place. Besides inhaling the spray from the zombies through their mouths or nostrils, the survivors may also be vulnerable to getting zombie juice absorbed through their eyes or any cuts in the skin.

So most of these killing methods should make the survivors vulnerable to infection, unless they were shooting at range.

Perhaps they need to look into flamethrowers.

Flame thrower FTW!!! Walker-briquettes!

Big Dumb Mammal
post #5056 of 6691 Old 11-22-2013, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post

I'm not saying the show is this deep but; shotgun ammunition carries a very high weight+volume per round penalty. Not to mention the need to manually reload every four rounds. Using a shotgun as walker defense weapon is, IMO, a recipe for disaster.

It should by no means be your only tool but if it is you could do a lot worse. One thing about shotgun ammo is the ease of modifying the pellets. A friend of mine, that's really more an loose ally, sawed off the end of birdshot and refilled it with lead fishing weights and sealed it back with candle wax. Did a damn fine job of punching holes in a water heater. So I was told, way after it supposedly happened.

A lot is made of Rick's sidearm but if he loses an arm he's still in the fight compared to an AR or shotty carrier.
post #5057 of 6691 Old 11-23-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

But when they kill zombies, there's blood and other liquids splattering all over the place.
From the very beginning, there has been almost no concern or precaution about being infected from blood splatter.
vilfrard likes this.
post #5058 of 6691 Old 11-23-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 209
I was flipping through a magazine and noticed that Nissan is giving away their walking dead edition of a car, all decked out, and it made me wonder. Couldn't the guys in the prison do this too? Wouldn't the prison have a machine shop and they could outfit a car with a plow type front end, bars on windows, a weapon or two, etc.?

post #5059 of 6691 Old 11-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 62
The AA12 with the 32 round drum would do pretty well in the Zombie Apocalypse..

post #5060 of 6691 Old 11-23-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I was flipping through a magazine and noticed that Nissan is giving away their walking dead edition of a car, all decked out, and it made me wonder. Couldn't the guys in the prison do this too? Wouldn't the prison have a machine shop and they could outfit a car with a plow type front end, bars on windows, a weapon or two, etc.?

Seriously? They can barely scrape enough brain cells together to prop a piece of wood against the fence. What you are asking is inconceivable! biggrin.gif
vilfrard likes this.

post #5061 of 6691 Old 11-23-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

Quote:

But when they kill zombies, there's blood and other liquids splattering all over the place.
From the very beginning, there has been almost no concern or precaution about being infected from blood splatter.

In the first season they were very concerned, especially when they went for the guts disguise. Then they found out they are all infected by zombitis already so it makes no difference.

It isn't the zombitis that kills them through infection. It's death by writing. Important characters get nibbled on a non-essential limb so they can survive. Everyone else instantly gets their throat ripped out and then eaten.
vilfrard likes this.

post #5062 of 6691 Old 11-24-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Wasn't it Hundai that had the WD edition and brought it to Comic-Con?:

http://www.torquenews.com/1080/hyundai-takes-walking-dead-cars-comic-con

post #5063 of 6691 Old 11-24-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 191
And he's back folks..
post #5064 of 6691 Old 11-24-2013, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Interesting episode to be sure. But my biggest complaint about this series is how slow it progresses. Slower than a soap opera. We've had the same ending for three consecutive weeks (the Gov standing outside the prison) and we still haven't arrived to that point of the story yet. They need to speed things up for crying out loud. This snails pace is frustrating.
post #5065 of 6691 Old 11-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post

Interesting episode to be sure. But my biggest complaint about this series is how slow it progresses. Slower than a soap opera. We've had the same ending for three consecutive weeks (the Gov standing outside the prison) and we still haven't arrived to that point of the story yet. They need to speed things up for crying out loud. This snails pace is frustrating.

It is, I am not sure I like two episodes of the govenor and his backstory. It takes away from the main story of the prison and the "regulars" but it did entertain so there is that. Speaking of how slow it progresses..it looks like the mid season finale is going to be another all out prison assault like last years's season finale. Talk about same ending...
post #5066 of 6691 Old 11-24-2013, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

I think the writers are on automatic pilot more than the zombies. biggrin.gif
post #5067 of 6691 Old 11-24-2013, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 131
I liked it. Course that's why I watch it, because I like it. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't be watching.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #5068 of 6691 Old 11-25-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Yea feels like we are caught in an endless loop.

I will keep watching cause frankly im running out of shows but i just feel like im watching to just get thru it.

post #5069 of 6691 Old 11-25-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

People wear too many clothes on the show. Next year there should be a heat wave.

Not only will that sex up the apocalypse and get even more viewers, but AMC can maximize profits by saving money on wardrobe. They already seem intent on cutting the budget as much as possible while they can charge more for advertising. We already have the same characters doing the same things in all the same places, there isn't much else they can do besides killing off main people. It's probably inevitable the show will have a cheaper showrunner next year anyway.

Losing clothes is the way to go.
JoeTiVo and Djoel like this.

post #5070 of 6691 Old 11-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Well I was not expecting Martinez to go so soon, and in that way. Looks like it's he still wants the same crap.

When they were walking up to the man's cabin and seeing all the headless bodies, I was thinking, this is vaguely reminiscent of the Gov's style. Except he had a reason for chopping off heads.

Pete has to eventually get free. People are sloughing off flesh trying to pull zombies away from little girls. Crushing skulls seconds after turning. His ankle isn't going to hold. Plus he's in the water.

I think it's funny that the Gov on talking dead was throwing out ideas that were way off, and all of us were completely fooled. Sure, I know some of you have perfect intuition and saw how this played out exactly, before we could even see it happen.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page