Old 12-06-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

Will the next season only have six episodes too?

No, AMC has ordered 13 episodes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The Whispered secret leaves many "doors open" ...
Perhaps it references a theoretical "cure", Zombies can be brought back ....
It could also reference some "place" for them to go ...
We'll see if the writers let us know about it right away .. or save it to "make it fit" some plotline they need later .....
Old 12-06-2010, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 186
SEASON FINALE SCORES SIX MILLION VIEWERS (3.5 MILLION IN THE DEMO); HIGHEST-RATED CABLE DRAMA IN HISTORY AMONG 18-49 VIEWERS: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...ory-books.html
Old 12-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

SEASON FINALE SCORES SIX MILLION VIEWERS (3.5 MILLION IN THE DEMO); HIGHEST-RATED CABLE DRAMA IN HISTORY AMONG 18-49 VIEWERS: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...ory-books.html

I am hoping this means they can up their budget.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, firing the writers so they don't have to pay them as staff (freelance writers are cheaper) isn't a good sign for the budget unless they plan to use the dough they save in scripts for better effects/bigger crowds. If anything AMC wants to shave down costs to maximize profits.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post

I am hoping this means they can up their budget.

Like moving from cell phone quality video to something just a tad better?

This show has rocketed past "Burn Notice" as the worst looking video of any HD show on TV.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:

Well, firing the writers so they don't have to pay them as staff (freelance writers are cheaper) isn't a good sign for the budget unless they plan to use the dough they save in scripts for better effects/bigger crowds. If anything AMC wants to shave down costs to maximize profits.

Apparently that was a ruse from an egomaniac. The writers haven't been fired, just two people left when promotions didn't come through.

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2010/12/...ers-not-fired/
Old 12-06-2010, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Enjoyed a few episodes, not a great season, not much seems to be happening story wise except survival. In the end... it did not have much of an impact as I feel a lot of the characters was not developed enough. It seems like the producers didn't have a plan for such a short season, and just had a bunch of situations strung together. Too slow in some parts and a bit rushed in others. I don't think they should have even introduced the CDC this season, seems more like a multi-part episode. one plus the grenade was used!
Old 12-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
I found this to be a pretty interesting review of the last episode. He didn't like it very much, but does a good job of explaining why.
Quote:
Viewers were promised something uncompromisingly grim like the graphic novels—in which central characters die suddenly and with no warning—but essentially all of the main characters have survived on this show. The few who did die (poor birthday girl Amy), we barely knew. Moreover, to be perfectly crass, why couldn't the ever-more-irritating Dale just sacrifice himself for the greater good? (And why does Dale make the full-court press on blonde Andrea, but everyone's just like: Oh, let the black chick die if she wants, there's no time to argue?) Seriously, it could have been provocative and more true to the original comics if Dale and Andrea had really died in some utterly bleak suicide pact or after deciding to escape too late. Instead, Dale and Andrea made it out of the building, just in time, and, per action-movie-cliché, in front of a fake fireball. (Really, the CGI was on the level of a made-for-SyFy film.) You also get to see Rick leaping away from a fireball after the grenade blast, in the cheeziest of cheese, before the second giant fireball somehow doesn't decimate their truck.
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...p_it_ends.html
Old 12-06-2010, 07:05 PM

Liked: 10
Loved the season finale but still hate Lori and hope she gets hers in the second season..
I guess I'm supposed to feel sorry for her and hate Shane yet Shane seems much more sympathetic while Lori's annoying and useless ...
Hope we see the guy and his son again who appeared in the premiere episode ..
Old 12-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

once again an average end to a season that had about 3 good episodes...ep 1, 2 and 5.
I hate that Andrea is such a wimp, her sister died, get over it...it's the apocalypse.
Black woman - what an idiot.
Jenner - burnt to a crisp idiot, if he was a real scientist he should have went with them and kept searching for a cure.
-That blast should have blown everyone away.

Here's to hoping Season 2 is better.
And please stop with the pussy ass songs at the end.
The Walking Dead...I spit on your grave for now.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:02 AM

Liked: 30
The black women had no reason to commit suicide. She had friends all around here, some died around here granted, but she was not alone. Just an odd thing to do considering that Andrea was more willing to die than anyone else then changes her mind.

Why on earth did Andrea change her mind in the first place ? It's not like the world reverted back to it's beautiful self, there still is no hope as far as she is concerned.

While they are roaming around the countryside, the black women sacrificed herself for no real reason at all. She also was burned to a crisp. I don't know about you guys, but if someone tells me that I won't suffer for more than a second, that doesn't automatically mean that I trust their every word.

What if their bodies burned for a few minutes and they were in a conscious state ? Supposing there was no massive explosion to kill them instantly ? Agonizing pain. She just accepted the scientists word. Very unrealistic story telling.

She was also burnt to a crisp as a result. A black crisp.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich S View Post
The black women had no reason to commit suicide. She had friends all around here, some died around here granted, but she was not alone. Just an odd thing to do considering that Andrea was more willing to die than anyone else then changes her mind.
I actually think she had a great reason to commit suicide. They all did. Two days prior their fledgling community in the woods was ravaged by zombies. And she had been caring for Jim as he slowly and agonizingly turned into a zombie. Surely you could conclude that it's much better to go on your own terms than on their terms.

If you're teetering on edge, that'd be enough to push you over. I will certainly credit that better writing could've made these things more apparent. But it's hard to develop your characters for that kind of scene when it's rushed like it was.

The real question is why episodes 2-4 were so slowly drawn out, only to run through the climax of the season in one episode, half of which was spent drinking wine and standing in the shower.

Quote:
What if their bodies burned for a few minutes and they were in a conscious state ? Supposing there was no massive explosion to kill them instantly ? Agonizing pain. She just accepted the scientists word. Very unrealistic story telling.
But he stayed too. If he hadn't stayed, I could see this criticism being valid. And he'd seen decontamination on a smaller scale in the lab, so I think he had a valid reason for saying what he did. Plus, the computer explained it--second in explosive force only to a nuclear bomb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector.B View Post
Jenner - burnt to a crisp idiot, if he was a real scientist he should have went with them and kept searching for a cure.
Why? Everyone else at the CDC jumped ship at the first sign of trouble. And it was his stupidity in Episode 5 that blew up his lab, so he probably didn't even have anything left to work with.

Plus, it was like he said. His wife was the brilliant scientist. He was just a low-level employee at the CDC. He was in over his head, and if all the scientists at the CDC had just up and abandoned when things got bad, why would he have any hope of finding a cure?
Old 12-07-2010, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

She also just learned the whole world was affected and there maybe nobody left.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just an odd thing to do considering that Andrea was more willing to die than anyone else then changes her mind.

Why on earth did Andrea change her mind in the first place ? It's not like the world reverted back to it's beautiful self, there still is no hope as far as she is concerned.

i'm thinking she changed her mind cuz she didn't want to be responsible for the old man dying on her account, sort of.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:15 PM

No way this is HD.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Thought it was a good season ender, and a glad I watched first season. I view on Cox "HD", I mean WS [wide screen]. Pretty much everything looks bit starved on Cox HD here. Having said that the Audio was very good for the whole series, opening scene with the Hospital hallway soldiers in Sunday night's finale was great. Looking forward to a longer second season next fall/
Old 12-07-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

i'm thinking she changed her mind cuz she didn't want to be responsible for the old man dying on her account, sort of.

Andrea had given up because she lost her sister and was just being selfish and wallowing in her own guilt and self-pity, but when it came down to it she didn't want to be responsible for someone else dying.

It's a scenario that's been used in a lot of movies and TV shows the old - "Leave me! Save yourself! I can't go on!" "Yes you can! If you give up I'm staying too." "Okay then, I'll try ... "

Old 12-07-2010, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

I found this to be a pretty interesting review of the last episode. He didn't like it very much, but does a good job of explaining why.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...p_it_ends.html

Quote:

I think the success of the show is more indicative that there is an audience for a show LIKE this than an over all endorsement of this show. I am hoping for a great season two.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Old 12-07-2010, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

It's a scenario that's been used in a lot of movies and TV shows the old - "Leave me! Save yourself! I can't go on!" "Yes you can! If you give up I'm staying too." "Okay then, I'll try ... "

In other words its a cliche.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
Old 12-07-2010, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

That's essentially my thought too. I was thinking she didn't want to have another loved one die on her account and couldn't bear for the old guy to die because of the feelings they have for each other.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
The Fact and Fiction of The Walking Dead's Fired' Writers
By Josef Adalian, New York Magazine's 'Vulture' Blog - December 8th, 2010

A report last week that Frank Darabont had basically fired the entire writing staff of The Walking Dead seemed to defy logic, even by Hollywood standards: Nobody's getting canned over at Outsourced, but the team behind the biggest hit in AMC history gets a bullet in the brain? Darabont hasn't offered any explanation yet, though others associated with the series have rushed out carefully worded responses denying anybody's been fired while simultaneously confirming that most of the writers attached to season one, including executive producer Charles H. "Chic" Eglee, probably won't be back. (Eglee may have already found his next gig; more on that below.) So has everyone associated with Walking Dead lost their minds? And will any of the alleged backstage drama impact the quality of the drama onscreen when the show returns next fall?

To hear Walking Dead exec producers Gale Anne Hurd and Robert Kirkman tell it, the original Deadline report about mass firings on the show was overblown. "It's completely inaccurate," Hurd told EW; Kirkman indicated to TV Guide that Eglee, an executive producer for The Shield, Dexter, and Dark Angel, "didn't want to be second-in-command on a show when he's used to being a top dog" and had decided to "go off and do something else." On that latter point, Vulture can report that Kirkman was right: Sources tell us Eglee is talking to FX and Sony Pictures Television about becoming a writer and exec producer of Powers, a long-in-the-works dramatization of the comic-book series of the same name about homicide detectives who investigate cases linked to folks with extraordinary abilities. FX execs are said to be very high on Powers (a pilot order seems quite likely), and thanks to his Shield work, Eglee is someone the network and studio know quite well.

Our sources indicate Eglee has been circling Powers for months, implying that his departure from Walking Dead was not some sudden development, or something dictated by Darabont. So are Hurd and Kirkman 100 percent correct when they pooh-pooh the Deadline report? Maybe not: While it's clear Eglee has been mulling life after Dead for a while, Vulture has also talked to people close to the show who've confirmed that several of the writers on the small staff (about a half-dozen scribes) very much wanted to remain full-time for season two. "It's a huge hit show. Who would walk away from that?" an insider told us.

These sources argue that Darabont has simply decided to follow the Aaron Sorkin Model for running Walking Dead. While the vast majority of TV comedies and dramas are collaborative ventures in which numerous writers contribute to the creation of scripts, some show-runners are a bit more ... controlling. Most famously, Sorkin wrote almost every word of The West Wing's first four seasons, nearly burning out in the process and leading to his ultimate departure from the series after frequent clashes with NBC over tardy scripts. Darabont seems poised to take a similarly completist approach: Deadline noted that he ended up writing, co-writing, or rewriting all six of the first season's episodes. And while there's been talk of using freelance writers, without a full-time staff, Darabont and Kirkman will essentially be running Walking Dead by themselves, which has some industry naysayers predicting trouble: Not only will Dead expand from six episodes to thirteen next season, but Darabont is pretty much a film guy with little experience producing so many scripts in such a short amount of time. (Kirkman is also a relative TV novice.) "I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to go back to a staff once they realize how hard it is to run a TV show," one person close to the matter said.

Following the Sorkin Model isn't always a recipe for disaster. Peter Tolan and Denis Leary pretty much wrote Rescue Me by themselves, with help from just one or two other regular scribes. And David E. Kelley is a notoriously hands-on show-runner who also was responsible for some of TV's best-written shows. "It's unbelievably hard to do, but it's not impossible," one industry wag says. And with ten full months before Dead's expected return, Darabont has plenty of time to obsess over every script and tweak every zombie "HRRRRRGGGGHHHH."

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...ers_fired.html
Old 12-08-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
FWIW, I think the whispered secret was something to do with the encounter Rick's wife had with the other guy. I'm guessing all rooms in that facility are being monitored (at least the Rec Room might be) and the scientist probably witnessed that scene between them. Even if he didn't get any audio, it would be pretty clear as to what happened.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

FWIW, I think the whispered secret was something to do with the encounter Rick's wife had with the other guy. I'm guessing all rooms in that facility are being monitored (at least the Rec Room might be) and the scientist probably witnessed that scene between them. Even if he didn't get any audio, it would be pretty clear as to what happened.

if the whisper concerned ricks wife being pregnant from the other guy, i'm thinking jenner figured it out from the blood tests he made everyone have. (can they do that?)
Old 12-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

if the whisper concerned ricks wife being pregnant from the other guy, i'm thinking jenner figured it out from the blood tests he made everyone have. (can they do that?)

Only if they drew a sample from the fetus (which he didn't). All the doc would have told Rick was that his wife was pregnant, which would be easy enough to get from a simple blood test simply from the presence of certain hormones. Just the fact that she's pregnant would be enough to get the reaction that Rick had given the current state of the group being on the run from zombies.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoCortex View Post

Only if they drew a sample from the fetus (which he didn't). All the doc would have told Rick was that his wife was pregnant, which would be easy enough to get from a simple blood test simply from the presence of certain hormones. Just the fact that she's pregnant would be enough to get the reaction that Rick had given the current state of the group being on the run from zombies.

I'm wondering if he can tell how far along she was from the blood test. I don't think that can be done IRL but a) this is a TV show, and b) this is a TV show about the walking dead and he is a CDC doc, albeit a low rung one.

He may have overheard enough of their conversations to realize that Rick wasn't with the group until just recently, and put 2 and 2 together. Speaking of, it was sort of eerie thinking back to how he was looking at the group doing all the drinking and so forth, knowing fully-well that he was going to trap them all to die in there soon enough.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:12 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

I'm wondering if he can tell how far along she was from the blood test. I don't think that can be done IRL but a) this is a TV show, and b) this is a TV show about the walking dead and he is a CDC doc, albeit a low rung one.

He may have overheard enough of their conversations to realize that Rick wasn't with the group until just recently, and put 2 and 2 together. Speaking of, it was sort of eerie thinking back to how he was looking at the group doing all the drinking and so forth, knowing fully-well that he was going to trap them all to die in there soon enough.

The hormone count in a blood sample would give an approximate date.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Just the knowledge that she is pregnant would be enough for Rick to have an issue. He knows how long it had been since they had been together.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Old 12-08-2010, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Is Rick stupid or just written that way? Shane all but told him he had taken his place as head of the family, both Shane and Lori thought he was dead. Any normal man would at least be aware of the possibility of something going on, might even understand and accept it. But Rick seems clueless, which of course sets up a big "surprise" in S2, and is yet another example of sacrificing the believability of a character to advance the plot. And yet I'm still loving this show. Go figure.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
Old 12-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

I think the flashback in the episode was meant to imply Shane did his best to deal with Rick. Previous to this we were not exactly clear if he just bailed early and made up stuff about Rick.

Tags
The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season
Gear in this thread