Yep
action_jackson's Avatar action_jackson
12:28 AM Liked: 52
post #6842 of 7222
11-11-2014 | Posts: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Didn't they say 15 miles?
Was it 15 miles when the bus flipped or when the fire truck quit? Either way, they didn't make it too far. I don't understand why they don't have some Mad Max type of crazy armored vehicles with spikes and blades mounted on them? Something like in the Hyundai comercials that are on during the show.
VisionOn's Avatar VisionOn
12:53 AM Liked: 507
post #6843 of 7222
11-11-2014 | Posts: 11,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post
Was it 15 miles when the bus flipped or when the fire truck quit? Either way, they didn't make it too far. I don't understand why they don't have some Mad Max type of crazy armored vehicles with spikes and blades mounted on them? Something like in the Hyundai comercials that are on during the show.
Like the word "zombie" the entire post-apocalyptic genre does not exist in Kirkman's world so the characters know not of how to defend themselves in a world of anarchy and undead.

In the defense of our regular crew though apart from the old RV they never had a vehicle long enough to up-armor even if they did have basic machine and welding tools and skills.

* bonus points for those who know which movie Killer Herbie is from.
WilliamR's Avatar WilliamR
05:18 AM Liked: 261
post #6844 of 7222
11-11-2014 | Posts: 8,185
I personally think these episodes are lacking when it is not the whole group and they don't include the core group (Rick, Daryl, Michone, etc.) I don't find all these characters that interesting to hold an entire hour for me, some bad acting by some also hampers the enjoyment of the episodes. I can't wait for them to get back to the core group and move things along.
hooked01's Avatar hooked01
08:02 AM Liked: 137
post #6845 of 7222
11-11-2014 | Posts: 1,319
Quote:

It was 15 miles when the bus flipped, but Eugene probably hoped it was sooner because he sabotaged the fuel tank.

Also, somebody should come up with the wise idea to carry around an emergency bottle of Walker guts that they can pour on themselves when they are surrounded by a horde. It will at least confuse the Walkers enough to allow our heroes to escape.
hall's Avatar hall
08:46 AM Liked: 41
post #6846 of 7222
11-11-2014 | Posts: 2,654
Why did the bus flip ? I thought Abraham was distracted and clipped one of the abandoned vehicles but they made it out like by Eugene putting the glass shards in the fuel tank that caused it (???). That would make it stop running, yes....
09:59 AM Liked: 261
post #6847 of 7222
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
It was 15 miles when the bus flipped, but Eugene probably hoped it was sooner because he sabotaged the fuel tank.

Also, somebody should come up with the wise idea to carry around an emergency bottle of Walker guts that they can pour on themselves when they are surrounded by a horde. It will at least confuse the Walkers enough to allow our heroes to escape.
Yes, Eugene specifically told Tara that he thought it would cause a problem earlier and didn't count on it taking so long.
10:01 AM Liked: 261
post #6848 of 7222
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post
Why did the bus flip ? I thought Abraham was distracted and clipped one of the abandoned vehicles but they made it out like by Eugene putting the glass shards in the fuel tank that caused it (???). That would make it stop running, yes....
Eugene explained it to Tara. He hoped it would disable it sooner in their trip and just cause it to stop running, he didn't count on the glass rupturing the fuel line by the engine, causing it to ignite the fuel.

The bus had engine failure, causing it swerve, lock up, etc. and he was all over the road, and then it hit the car causing it to flip.
tomhunter8's Avatar tomhunter8
10:08 AM Liked: 183
post #6849 of 7222
11-11-2014 | Posts: 888
Quote:
Real life vehicles are different from TV vehicles. When real life vehicles hit another car they simply crash and stop, but all TV vehicles are required to go airborn, flip, and catch fire for no apparent reason.
hall's Avatar hall
10:10 AM Liked: 41
post #6850 of 7222
11-11-2014 | Posts: 2,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
The bus had engine failure, causing it swerve, lock up, etc. and he was all over the road, and then it hit the car causing it to flip.
I don't remember all of that (engine failure, swerving, etc). As I recall, they were passing a group of walkers and Abraham was looking at them.... when he turned back to watch the road, he presumably hit another vehicle.
Se7enPtOne's Avatar Se7enPtOne
11:23 AM Liked: 42
post #6851 of 7222
11-11-2014 | Posts: 298
Quote:
I don't remember all of that (engine failure, swerving, etc). As I recall, they were passing a group of walkers and Abraham was looking at them.... when he turned back to watch the road, he presumably hit another vehicle.
the broken lightbulbs in the gas tank caused the engine to burst..the smoke coming out made it impossible to see but he did manage to swerve around a few cars/walkers first...
daryl zero's Avatar daryl zero
11:40 AM Liked: 163
post #6852 of 7222
11-11-2014 | Posts: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Like the word "zombie" the entire post-apocalyptic genre does not exist in Kirkman's world so the characters know not of how to defend themselves in a world of anarchy and undead.

In the defense of our regular crew though apart from the old RV they never had a vehicle long enough to up-armor even if they did have basic machine and welding tools and skills.

Not sure this would work as you would get a bunch of zombies/zombie parts stuck on your car.
11:41 AM Liked: 261
post #6853 of 7222
Quote:
Loud bang, smoke, swerving back and forth and then bam hit the vehicle and flipped. Watch it again, it is there you must of dozed off for a minute.
Waboman's Avatar Waboman
11:57 AM Liked: 816
post #6854 of 7222
11-11-2014 | Posts: 7,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

The Cars That Ate Paris (1974)
VisionOn's Avatar VisionOn
12:20 PM Liked: 507
post #6855 of 7222
11-11-2014 | Posts: 11,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
Not sure this would work as you would get a bunch of zombies/zombie parts stuck on your car.
And that's why it's a stupid (and boring) movie! Dude gets impaled on car, and you can't see where you are going. Plus you then have to get out and start pulling corpses off.

The car has port holes instead of a windshield too!
leebo's Avatar leebo
12:35 PM Liked: 156
post #6856 of 7222
11-11-2014 | Posts: 2,022
My feeling is that they deserve "The cure" blowing up in their face. No one bothered to really grill Eugene b4 committing to drop everything and go on this quest. They basically accepted, "You wouldn't understand".
In one episode he made a feeble attempt to vaguely explain, but no where near enough for them all to simply accept it.

I'm no scientist or biologist either, but I would have wanted more info than what satisfied them. Ricks original crew had the advantage of some knowledge about how the virus works (from the CDC guy in the first season). They should have at least quizzed Eugene to find out if he knew that much.

Also, Eugene spoke about wind currents and pollution, neither of which were relevant as the disease isn't transmitted that way. And since they had not yet synthesized a cure, they could not yet have devised a way to distribute it.

Otoh, people vote for politicians based on less than that, so it is plausible - and we all pay the price for that.

Sent from a mobile device.
12:46 PM Liked: 261
post #6857 of 7222
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
My feeling is that they deserve "The cure" blowing up in their face. No one bothered to really grill Eugene b4 committing to drop everything and go on this quest. They basically accepted, "You wouldn't understand".
In one episode he made a feeble attempt to vaguely explain, but no where near enough for them all to simply accept it.

I'm no scientist or biologist either, but I would have wanted more info than what satisfied them. Ricks original crew had the advantage of some knowledge about how the virus works (from the CDC guy in the first season). They should have at least quizzed Eugene to find out if he knew that much.

Also, Eugene spoke about wind currents and pollution, neither of which were relevant as the disease isn't transmitted that way. And since they had not yet synthesized a cure, they could not yet have devised a way to distribute it.

Otoh, people vote for politicians based on less than that, so it is plausible - and we all pay the price for that.

I believe Eugene was saying the wind currents and such impacted their dispersal system they were going to use to distribute the cure that would "flip the switch" on the zombies. It had nothing to do with the disease transmittal or stopping the transmitting of the disease itself. He was saying it had to be turned on inside everyone and to do that it had to get to everyone somehow.

It is all a mute point anyway as the dude was making it all up.
leebo's Avatar leebo
01:02 PM Liked: 156
post #6858 of 7222
11-11-2014 | Posts: 2,022
Quote:

It is all a mute point anyway as the dude was making it all up.
Except my point wasn't about him making it up as much as it was about the others not asking enough questions. And didn't he say when his character was first introduced that he had "The cure"?

It seems to me you can either kill the process that reanimates dead people, or kill the walkers. That's two separate things in my mind.

Plus how many scientists sporting mullets have you seen?

I could accept everyone blindly believing Eugene when the plague first started, because everyone is shocked and desperate. But at this point, after everything they've been through, I think they'd be a lot more skeptical.

They were skeptical of the Governor and Terminus, but not of a NASCAR looking dude spouting gibberish?

Josh Z's Avatar Josh Z
01:43 PM Liked: 433
post #6859 of 7222
11-11-2014 | Posts: 20,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
Except my point wasn't about him making it up as much as it was about the others not asking enough questions. And didn't he say when his character was first introduced that he had "The cure"?

It seems to me you can either kill the process that reanimates dead people, or kill the walkers. That's two separate things in my mind.

Plus how many scientists sporting mullets have you seen?

I could accept everyone blindly believing Eugene when the plague first started, because everyone is shocked and desperate. But at this point, after everything they've been through, I think they'd be a lot more skeptical.

They were skeptical of the Governor and Terminus, but not of a NASCAR looking dude spouting gibberish?
Glenn and Maggie were looking at Eugene pretty skeptically when he gave them the "dispersal" spiel. I think they would have called him on his b.s. soon enough if the bus hadn't crashed.

And Glenn did outright ask him what was up with the mullet - which is clearly the writers acknowledging something the fans wanted asked.

In the Talking Dead episode, the actor who plays Eugene admitted that it was getting ridiculous how long this revelation had been drawn out. Countless fans had come up to him and asked when Eugene would be outed as a liar.
daryl zero's Avatar daryl zero
02:45 PM Liked: 163
post #6860 of 7222
11-11-2014 | Posts: 2,084
I thought the major point was that Abraham needed to take care of someone to have purpose and Eugene needed someone to take care of him so he came up with this elaborate lie. While it was dirty pool, it gave the group purpose to live.
Sonyad's Avatar Sonyad
02:53 PM Liked: 40
post #6861 of 7222
11-11-2014 | Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post
Real life vehicles are different from TV vehicles. When real life vehicles hit another car they simply crash and stop, but all TV vehicles are required to go airborn, flip, and catch fire for no apparent reason.
Yeah I remember when Lori crashed her car. Case in point

Se7enPtOne's Avatar Se7enPtOne
05:40 PM Liked: 42
post #6862 of 7222
11-11-2014 | Posts: 298
not sure if this was discussed yet...but do you think the writers have omitted Maggie mentioning Beth on purpose or by accident...i mean she didnt even say her name ONCE aside from that montage in the beginning of the premiere....if beth is going to die a dramatic death this season they would have helped to put some emotion behind it but having maggie vested in here whereabouts...glenn and maggie were only discussing feeling bad leaving rick & co or leaving without carol/daryl...WHAT ABOUT YOUR SISTER?
mbroadus's Avatar mbroadus
06:22 PM Liked: 63
post #6863 of 7222
11-11-2014 | Posts: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enPtOne View Post
i guess they do make the talking dead important for notes like this....they noted that his family has never seen daddy in his military mode...plus the actor made reference to the comic storyline how all the gentlemen he killed were his neighbors that ended up raping his whole family...had to be edited to be allowed on tv so they didnt show it..

also the water was killing them so easily because they wanted to show how frail walkers are now as we are over a year into the apocalypse...also stated in the talking dead show by the producer

Yea, heard that on the talking dead too. I always make sure to watch talking dead when they have the actors, writers or producers on. Otherwise a useless show for a non comic book reader.

Makes sense about the frailty of the walkers.
Yrd's Avatar Yrd
08:57 PM Liked: 209
post #6864 of 7222
11-11-2014 | Posts: 3,069
I could accept Lori's crash flipping the car. She was running up a hill and maybe there was something there, like a tree stump, enough to give it another nudge.

Quote:
There was also a sneak peek on Talking Dead of Daryl carrying a body wrapped in a sheet and throwing it on a burning fire. I wonder who that might be?
Probably just some child Carol murdered. Nothing too important.
zeus33's Avatar zeus33
11:42 PM Liked: 259
post #6865 of 7222
11-11-2014 | Posts: 1,645
Quote:
Eugene explained it to Tara. He hoped it would disable it sooner in their trip and just cause it to stop running, he didn't count on the glass rupturing the fuel line by the engine, causing it to ignite the fuel.

The problem is, none of this would have happened. The glass would have never made it through the sock filter on the fuel pump or the fuel line filter. Even if it did, fuel line is very thick and durable. It has to be to prevent leakage, fires, etc., so the glass would have never ruptured it. And finally, if by some amazing chance the glass actually reached engine, it would have clogged the jets on the carb (or the injectors if FI) and the engine would have spit and sputtered and gently slowed down, very uneventfully just like any vehicle does when it "runs out of gas".

But it's TV, and we need theatrics to make the show "exciting".
04:45 AM Liked: 261
post #6866 of 7222
11-12-2014 | Posts: 8,185
On the talking dead the actor that plays Abraham stated that he didn't question Eugene as his desire to have a mission was over riding everything else and he didn't care if he was lying or not, he just wanted there to be a mission.

They also talked about Eugene and how he actually shot the army truck on purpose to sabotage them all the way back in that episode. Pretty good Talking Dead episode with lots of little tidbits of info.
Stereodude's Avatar Stereodude
06:06 AM Liked: 635
post #6867 of 7222
11-12-2014 | Posts: 10,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
The problem is, none of this would have happened. The glass would have never made it through the sock filter on the fuel pump or the fuel line filter. Even if it did, fuel line is very thick and durable. It has to be to prevent leakage, fires, etc., so the glass would have never ruptured it. And finally, if by some amazing chance the glass actually reached engine, it would have clogged the jets on the carb (or the injectors if FI) and the engine would have spit and sputtered and gently slowed down, very uneventfully just like any vehicle does when it "runs out of gas".

But it's TV, and we need theatrics to make the show "exciting".
It's no different than how 2 layers of drywall hung on 2x4's generally stops bullets in TV shows and movies. You know when the characters duck around a corner or behind a wall for cover and the bullets just stop in the wall instead of continuing out the other side relatively unaffected and killing them.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt
07:17 AM Liked: 853
post #6868 of 7222
11-12-2014 | Posts: 22,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post
Yeah I remember when Lori crashed her car. Case in point https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F6Y2qiGtG4
Well at least the bus didn't blow up. It seems to always happen in TV so I was surprised it didn't. It real life a vehicle rarely explodes.
DocCasualty's Avatar DocCasualty
07:20 AM Liked: 840
post #6869 of 7222
11-12-2014 | Posts: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
It's no different than how 2 layers of drywall hung on 2x4's generally stops bullets in TV shows and movies. You know when the characters duck around a corner or behind a wall for cover and the bullets just stop in the wall instead of continuing out the other side relatively unaffected and killing them.
Imagine being a healthcare professional and watching this and just about any other movie or TV program. Yeah, "suspension of disbelief" goes a long way toward being able to watch logic defying content, let alone being able to enjoy what you watch.
Sonyad's Avatar Sonyad
08:41 AM Liked: 40
post #6870 of 7222
11-12-2014 | Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
I could accept Lori's crash flipping the car. She was running up a hill and maybe there was something there, like a tree stump, enough to give it another nudge.

All she did was hit a zombie and we see her rear brakes lights. Should have been end of story. Yet for some reason she hits the accelerator, zigzags on the road and speeds into the ditch for a magnificent roll over.
Tags: The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season

Gear in this thread
Reply HDTV Programming

Subscribe to this Thread