Old 12-01-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
I think the producers and Kirkman killing people just to kill them ruins the show. You watch a TV show to become invested in characters and they continue to kill off people for no reason except for the "shock" value. So if you can't become invested in the characters because they will just be killed off, then why watch? I think it alienates people who want to tune in for certain people, certain chemistry, etc.
Here is the other side of the argument. Knowing that a character could die in any episode makes the danger real to the viewer and the lives of each character more important. If you knew that someone was, in the context of the show, "immortal", what good is putting a character in peril?
Sonyad, phildaant and rebkell like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post
Here is the other side of the argument. Knowing that a character could die in any episode makes the danger real to the viewer and the lives of each character more important. If you knew that someone was, in the context of the show, "immortal", what good is putting a character in peril?

Big difference though between being in peril and seeing some characters die, but killing off multiple people every season, that is over the top. One once in awhile over the course of the multiple seasons could just as easily driven home that wow, no one is safe, multiple people a season and you can't invest in anyone.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog35 View Post
Stupid Beth. Seriously...stupid.
Yep, whatever.. never really liked her character much anyway, always felt her scenes were a drag. Everytime she came on I would be like move along, HTFU already.. Maggie did Compared to say Carol who I really liked this season, how hurt she was when Rick banished her. Then she comes back and saves them and heartfelt reunion.

What did she say to Dawn again? lol at her quickdraw, trigger happy finger
Sonyad likes this.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Beth said "Now I get it" and ironically she did. Sadly enough, what she got was a bullet. I'm surprised with all Beth's experience and knowledge of doing away with zombies, she chose to stick Dawn with a rather small scissors to the shoulder.

Arvy
Old 12-01-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 226
What was the point of Father Adultery head to the school again? What did he need to see at the cannibal's camp site, Bob's foot? Or did it had to do with his Church congregation?

That was pretty risky, and majorly stupid, putting Carl, Mishone and Baby Judith in danger It was pretty much pointless stroll.
phildaant likes this.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
I think the producers and Kirkman killing people just to kill them ruins the show. You watch a TV show to become invested in characters and they continue to kill off people for no reason except for the "shock" value. So if you can't become invested in the characters because they will just be killed off, then why watch? I think it alienates people who want to tune in for certain people, certain chemistry, etc.

Oh well. Good episode, not great, Morgan was the most interesting part.
I'm with you on this one, killing for the shock value only, I watch most shows because of the characters, at least the ones I continue to watch and if you are going to get rid of them, then you'll eventually get rid of me, I'm not a big fan of the anti-heros, if you want to kill someone off, kill off a few of the anti-heroes( I guess Shane would be considered one that they did) out of nowhere, instead we have to kill the likeable characters, never seem to get rid of the a-holes.
phildaant likes this.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 68
While watching the WD yesterday, the WD picture was not very good (I am using a projector and Direct TV) and have always had a very nice picture. The commercials looked very good (HD) but the WD looked SD (standard def). That has never happened before. Anyone else notice a sub par picture quality on this particular episode?

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
Old 12-01-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post
While watching the WD yesterday, the WD picture was not very good (I am using a projector and Direct TV) and have always had a very nice picture. The commercials looked very good (HD) but the WD looked SD (standard def). That has never happened before. Anyone else notice a sub par picture quality on this particular episode?
It seemed like there was more grain than previous episodes this season. But I didn't think it looked like SD.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 12-01-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1411 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It seemed like there was more grain than previous episodes this season. But I didn't think it looked like SD.

There was a lot of noticeable grain, but agree nothing close to SD.

Sent from an system/360
Old 12-01-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
That was pretty risky, and majorly stupid, putting Carl, Mishone and Baby Judith in danger It was pretty much pointless stroll.
That was another case, like on the bridge when the "joggers" caught up with Daryl and Carol, where if he had ran, or even jogged, they would have never kept up with him and not found the church.
Djoel likes this.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 975
Quote:
What was the point of Father Adultery head to the school again? What did he need to see at the cannibal's camp site, Bob's foot? Or did it had to do with his Church congregation?

Gabriel has been pretty much sheltered in his church since the start of the apocalypse. He has no idea how brutal and kill or be killed the outside world has become. When Rick, Sasha and gang brutally kill Gareth and the Termites in his church his mind can't handle it. He needs to see what the outside world is like for himself. When he sees Bob's leg on the grill and the Walkers come busting out of the school his mind clicks and he finally gets it. Sometimes learning the hard way is the only way.
Djoel likes this.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Old 12-01-2014, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post
But for the most part they are characters hardly anyone cares that much about and they die in dumb ways due to character stupidity.

I can't say I've missed any of the characters that have died and arguably Rick and Daryl are immortal until the actors get bored or ratings drop, because they are fan favorites. If they die it won't be the result of stabbing someone with a pair of tiny scissors after they've been rescued.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Few notes - The show always looks awful on first run compared to how it will look/looks when its on Netflix or released on Disc. Not sure why that is.

If you had a stop watch would we have seen more commercial time or more content with this episode? I know the advertising was sold with the expectation of the most eyes are on the live view/mid season episode but come on...just charge more money to less advertisers and make the show watchable.

Scenes with beth and dawn were a snoozefest..

I was wrong about tyreese, rick, and daryl subliminally wanting to include Noah in on the trade.. Rick stood firm that he was a part of his group so it will be interesting to see him next half season as a group member.

I think the random killings of characters is done to let the viewer and the actors know that no one is safe. The actress who played Beth said that she was notified while filming episode 7 that she would be gone at 8. Leaving her occupied with moving out of Atlanta and ending her lease where she was staying and finding another place to live etc. Seemed more emotional for being "fired" and leaving the group...when Herschel was on talking dead he actually seemed pretty ticked off..

With everything said and all of the complaints of slow episodes and scenes this past few episodes, this is Ricks show. Everything gets elevated when the focus is on him. His arc has been the most drastic and this new kill-mode he is in ever since he bit Joe's neck off is exactly what people want to see...not a guy with a mullet using big words...or two women talking about a character we have never met...they want Rick
Old 12-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Gabriel has been pretty much sheltered in his church since the start of the apocalypse. He has no idea how brutal and kill or be killed the outside world has become. When Rick, Sasha and gang brutally kill Gareth and the Termites in his church his mind can't handle it. He needs to see what the outside world is like for himself. When he sees Bob's leg on the grill and the Walkers come busting out of the school his mind clicks and he finally gets it. Sometimes learning the hard way is the only way.
I was hoping Gabriel would be a casualty simply because I find his character to be pathetic and dumb (locked his congregation out of the church, kept the food for himself, refused to fight the zombies but had no problem with others killing them for him, led the zombies back to the church, etc.), but if he is going to stick around I sure hope he isn't preaching or touting scripture all the time. I would think after everything that has happened to the human race faith in an all-knowing, all-loving god would pretty much be history.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 1164
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post
I would think after everything that has happened to the human race faith in an all-knowing, all-loving god would pretty much be history.
[hmm]At this point in my life I'm not that religious of a person, for good or bad, however history would tend to disagree with you.

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - HAL 9000
Old 12-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post
[hmm]At this point in my life I'm not that religious of a person, for good or bad, however history would tend to disagree with you.
You're probably right, but in a zombie dominated post-apocalyptic world...
Old 12-01-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Don't forget that Gabriel stepped on a rusty nail. They probably wouldn't have bothered spending the screentime to show us that unless it has some significance. I.e. he's most likely in the process of coming down with tetanus. "Lockjaw" usually is fatal without treatment. In other words, I suspect he won't last past the end of this season, and maybe not even that long. Of course, it could be just one big misdirection, but that happens much more often in "peviews" than in the show itself.
phildaant likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Old 12-01-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 1164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
"Lockjaw" usually is fatal without treatment.
Very true and still has a very high mortality with treatment once symptoms commence. Best strategy is routine immunization or timely post-exposure prophylaxis. Guess we'll find out if the Rev was up to date with his immunizations.

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - HAL 9000
Old 12-01-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog35 View Post
Stupid Beth. Seriously...stupid.

Well Beth went into a gun fight with a pair scissors not too smart of her character
daryl zero and tomhunter8 like this.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I wasn't very impressed that they
Spoiler!
Nothing against Carol's character but I feel her story arc has pretty much been explored to death. There was so much more potential with
Spoiler!

I was actually kind of hoping that Dawn was somehow going to choose to abdicate her position as leader (as earlier in the episode she seemed to realize that some of her cops were out of control / no good) and join Ricks group. I think that would have made an interesting dynamic personally.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Well Beth went into a gun fight with a pair scissors not too smart of her character
Kinda going out with a whimper -- seemed pretty forced. Dawn was this mundane bad (not even evil). The hospital crew's sin was being boringly bad. At the end, none of them came with Rick's crew meaning that they didn't want to give up their desperate, useless lives. Basically the hospital crew was the ultimate Nielsen family, happily watching the same old crap over and over again.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
Old 12-02-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Don't forget that Gabriel stepped on a rusty nail. They probably wouldn't have bothered spending the screentime to show us that unless it has some significance. I.e. he's most likely in the process of coming down with tetanus. "Lockjaw" usually is fatal without treatment. In other words, I suspect he won't last past the end of this season, and maybe not even that long. Of course, it could be just one big misdirection, but that happens much more often in "peviews" than in the show itself.
I think they did that simply so that he couldn't run very fast when chased by walkers in the next episode. As soon as he started limping, didn't we all say "he's zombie bait?"

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Old 12-02-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 123
He'll probably have his foot amputated due to gangrene setting in for lack of treatment, he'll end up like Bob and die 2-3 episodes later.

Man I hope Morgan catches up quickly!

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
Old 12-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
This recalls an argument I had with my dad a few years back (thanks to the internet I won). Tetanus is caused by a bacteria that is sometimes found on rusty nails. Its not actually caused by rust. Also, since the show takes place in the USA, the character was most likely immunized as a child (although I think its not 100% effective?). In other words, the chances of him getting lockjaw from stepping on a nail is pretty small. That said he's a pretty useless character, I won't miss him if he does die.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
This recalls an argument I had with my dad a few years back (thanks to the internet I won). Tetanus is caused by a bacteria that is sometimes found on rusty nails. Its not actually caused by rust. Also, since the show takes place in the USA, the character was most likely immunized as a child (although I think its not 100% effective?). In other words, the chances of him getting lockjaw from stepping on a nail is pretty small. That said he's a pretty useless character, I won't miss him if he does die.
A tetanus shot is not a one time thing. You need to get a tetanus booster every ten years to remain safe...

Bobby 

Old 12-02-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
A tetanus shot is not a one time thing. You need to get a tetanus booster every ten years to remain safe...
You beat me to it, although I wasn't 100% certain, I did seem to think you needed boosters every so often.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
So I'm thinking a zombie with lockjaw wouldn't be such a bad thing
Josh Z and gprace like this.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 94
In addition to boosters, I believe it's recommended to start over in the case of major wounds. Say, stepping on a nail - you wouldn't wait another few years for a booster, they'd give you another shot then. But, that's deeper than the show will go; I figure infection/tetanus or nothing comes of it.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Saw this great question elsewhere. Why didn't Rick and his group take the vests off of the officers and use them for their own use??? This seems like a DUH moment.

I have a feeling they are keeping Gabriel around and over time he will change dramatically from the character we first met.

I was wondering how the Beth/Carol/Darryl love triangle would work out when they were reunited as one group. Darryl obviously had strong feelings for both. Guess they solved that issue.
phildaant likes this.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 573
I expected to see that Beth had stabbed Dawn with a center mass gut shot. Was very disappointed to see that it was a non-lethal shoulder wound. Oh well, Daryl quickly cleaned up Beth's mistake. Like others, I was glad to see Dawn go. She was oblivious to the fact that she had become a monster. Ironically, by the time Dawn killed Beth, Beth had become a serial killer in her own right, albeit for righteous reasons.

I continue to love the show. Its almost gleeful violence is funny, to me at least, and the willy-nilly killing of regulars on the show has been very exciting and always leaves me wondering who will be next. Whatever else can be said about the show's stupidity, it is never boring.

Tags
The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season