"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 244 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #7291 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 257
To me this episode was far from their best. The first half was dull, slow, boring to me, and the second half had too much stuff with the other characters in it, too bizarre (and I usually love bizarre stuff).
bigjoexxl likes this.

never take life seriously
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7292 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 2301
I agree. Much too artsy which caused this episode to drag for me. Tyreese's "dream" sequences were just too much and drawn out like the writers were just attempting to fill up episode time.
yankeeman likes this.
post #7293 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 316
The director (Greg N? ), or the post production affects people or whom ever...Did they really expect us to believe the film was burning, or decaying celluloid! I think they did it twice too many times, and it was apparent it was digital/CGI cheesy looking.

Djoel

My sacd collection Speaker: Ascend Tower RAAL, Horizon RAAL center, Tower NrT rears SSP: XMC-1 Amplification: XPA-5 G2 Display: Samsung PN64D7000 Source: Oppo 103, HTPC 16TB Jriver 19, Tivo Premier, Apple TV2g ,Roku 2 Power:Panamax M5300-PM
post #7294 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1777 Post(s)
Liked: 3288
The bill has to be paid. RIP Tyreese.
Djoel and stevew24963 like this.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
post #7295 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Why no tourniquet?

Noah pretty much worthless. Runs off and takes Tyreese to get bit, then runs off to get others without helping Tyreese's wound. Gets trapped on a porch by two walkers. "Yeah I can hold him up," then they fall over. Wonder what other dumb stuff he does before Carol realizes this guy she saved is no help to the group. Like Daryl said, "I already helped you once, ain't gonna happen again."

I really am intrigued at what went down in that town. Hole in the perimeter wall with tire tracks, bunch of limbs around, then later they hit that truck that was in the middle of the woods and walker torso's with W carved on their foreheads. Why the W, like a moving torso is anything but a walker? And why was that truck and car in an accident in the middle of the woods?

Wasn't a very good episode, but I still enjoy watching the show.
post #7296 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post
Why no tourniquet?

Noah pretty much worthless. Runs off and takes Tyreese to get bit, then runs off to get others without helping Tyreese's wound. Gets trapped on a porch by two walkers. "Yeah I can hold him up," then they fall over. Wonder what other dumb stuff he does before Carol realizes this guy she saved is no help to the group. Like Daryl said, "I already helped you once, ain't gonna happen again."
Yup.

Quote:
I really am intrigued at what went down in that town. Hole in the perimeter wall with tire tracks, bunch of limbs around, then later they hit that truck that was in the middle of the woods and walker torso's with W carved on their foreheads. Why the W, like a moving torso is anything but a walker? And why was that truck and car in an accident in the middle of the woods?
Greg Nicotero (who directed) made some comments about that during Talking Dead.
Spoiler!

Quote:
A lot of their stupidities seemed typical WD fare to me. I have to wonder how much of it is lazy writing and how much of it is intentional (but still much too stupid).

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #7297 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 128
MOrgan isn't going to be able to track them hundreds of miles north to VA and Washington.
post #7298 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2249 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post
Why no tourniquet?

I think at that point the tourniquet would have made little difference. With the time that passed between getting but ms the removal of his arm it was most likely "too late". In order to stop the spread of the virus the limb needed to be removed quickly before it spread.

The truck/car almost looked like a booby trap of sorts or the "top halves" would be used as some sort of "defense". You can place the torsos on the perimeter of your camp and it would make it much tougher for people to enter if hidden well. Also they could be used as a torture pit ala the governor.

Sent from nowhere
post #7299 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 35
It was the "one more day left on my contract" episode. I was wondering about the half torsos. Was watching on my tablet so didn't notice the W carved in there heads. Tyrese was always full of indecision. In the end that's what got him killed. That zombie might have got the jump on him but he saw those photos of the two boys and his indecision killed him. Should have saved us all the misery of that episode by swallowing his gun as soon as he was bit.
post #7300 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Well at least they learn to use walkie takies, and not going in all at once using the back door!

So how where the rating compare to the music award that was going ?

Djoel

My sacd collection Speaker: Ascend Tower RAAL, Horizon RAAL center, Tower NrT rears SSP: XMC-1 Amplification: XPA-5 G2 Display: Samsung PN64D7000 Source: Oppo 103, HTPC 16TB Jriver 19, Tivo Premier, Apple TV2g ,Roku 2 Power:Panamax M5300-PM
post #7301 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
For a good laugh they should have had Lizzy say "Tyreese, just look at the flowers".
post #7302 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 166
A bit too much hallucination material IMO.... how many times did the "ghosts" have to tell Tyrese it was OK to die?

What happened to Michonne's katana? losing sharpness? girl you have to resharpen that thing or fail to slash a skull can cost you..
gprace likes this.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #7303 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
A bit too much hallucination material IMO.... how many times did the "ghosts" have to tell Tyrese it was OK to die?

What happened to Michonne's katana? losing sharpness? girl you have to resharpen that thing or fail to slash a skull can cost you..
There was a piece of re-bar coming out of the walkers Shoulder, that is what she hit.
Ph8te and Djoel like this.
post #7304 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:

I think that zombie had a piece of metal sticking out of his shoulder on that side that blocked the blade.

Interesting comments Seldon and Ph8te. I still think they should have put a tourniquet on his arm before cutting it off, and especially Noah should have to stop bloodloss out and infection in. It may have been too late to stop infection, but to me he died from blood loss and not turning. Maybe the W is for Washington as they have multiple camps that need perimeter torsos.

Edit: What NMAS said.
post #7305 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 287
For what I think they were trying to accomplish, it was probably well done.

But it was weird.

If you think about it... really only one thing happened. Tyrese. Nothing else of any significance happened. That's a LOT of time to spend on really just one thing, even if it is a significant thing. Pretty much nothing else happened of any value at all that couldn't have been done in the first 5 minutes of any episode.

Weird.
Turrican4D likes this.

Me do not have signature.
Where I am when I'm not here!
post #7306 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 1239
I liked it quite a bit. Some of the shots were really well done. To echo a previous poster, the shot of the car stopping when Tyrese died was really cool.

Didn't mind the hallucinations, but they could of done with one fewer sequence. Also don't need to hear Beth squeaking singing again. Ever.

Thought it was interesting what Rick said about knowing Dawn didn't mean to shoot Beth.

Finally, I'm gonna miss Tyrese. Guy really grew on me. RIP.
stevew24963 likes this.
post #7307 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
For what I think they were trying to accomplish, it was probably well done.

But it was weird.

If you think about it... really only one thing happened. Tyrese. Nothing else of any significance happened. That's a LOT of time to spend on really just one thing, even if it is a significant thing. Pretty much nothing else happened of any value at all that couldn't have been done in the first 5 minutes of any episode.

Weird.
I agree, and I would argue that Tyrese's death wasn't even really that significant in the grand scheme of things. Sure, he's part of the group, but I wouldn't consider him to be one of the major characters. Bizarre episode, in my opinion.

Also, did anyone feel like there were even MORE commercial breaks than usual?? I swear they were every 5 minutes. I actually timed it one time with the stopwatch on my phone, and it was almost exactly 5 minutes from commercial break to commercial break.
post #7308 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I liked the episode. Sad to see Chad Coleman (Tyreese) go. Liked him in The Wire back on HBO.

As far as the episode/2nd half of the season. I did like the "500 Mile" Time Skip from episode 8 to 9. Not sure how many days it took to get from the hospital in Atlanta to Richmond VA but the less "walking" we have to see on the "Walking dead" the better. (yes I know the show and term the walking dead is a reference to the survivors group and not zombies but showing them actually traveling 500 miles would have been very time consuming) As far as logistics go we should just assume they were plowing through the road in that fire truck for as long as they could.

The 500 Mile time skip could only be a matter of days. I only assume that because Noah was still limping.

Not sure what to make of the cut in half perfectly zombies or the truck load of them as well. Stay Tuned.

The ONLY problem with the Tyreese hallucinations was that there was NO KAREN. The on-screen character we have only seen about 3 episodes worth of whose death caused Tyreese to lose it. If I'm wrong, Tyreese has mentioned Karen in almost every episode he had speaking lines in since her murder.

Maybe they couldn't get the actress to show up due to scheduling, not sure what she is currently working on.

Chad Coleman did respond to a fan on Twitter saying he didn't see Karen in his hallucinations because he came to terms with her death.

Good welcome back episode...Fear the Beard w rick & Co. Surprised Daryl wasn't a part of the episode more than he was. Next week should be good as the struggle to survive looks to ramp up.
post #7309 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 252
This episode rose to Shakespeare level, meaning it felt like Much Ado About Nothing.
gprace and Djoel like this.
post #7310 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Yeah it set the immediate future goal to be going to Washington. Wonder if they'll actually show the famous sites -- maybe Congress and White House all burned out. It would be expensive to do, even if it's CGI.

But if they showed all the symbols and institutions of power having been reduced to rubble, it would hit home that there's no hope, this is the world. They're not just going from one survival crisis to another, hoping to get to some better resolution. Instead, all they got is surviving and foraging for left over junk food, competing against other human survivors for limited resources.

They did a lot of work to set up Noah's old town, especially with the cut up zombies. Nobody remarked on it but they kept showing it, so they'll use it again. Probably find there's nothing to give them hope in Washington so they head back south, probably return towards VA, since Michone talked up the idea of setting up more longer-term in Noah's town.

I can see going South for the better weather. Winter in the NE could be brutal, unless they can find a good consistent heat source.

Good thing they haven't had to deal with tropical storms or hurricanes.
post #7311 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1502 Post(s)
Liked: 1346
Hmmm, do wild animals eat walkers? For instance, if they went to the Everglades, would the alligator population keep the walkers in check? It seems it would be easier to stave off hungry alligators from a central human refuge base, than walkers -- since walkers have been shown to come in herds and pretty much destroy whatever they come into contact with in any land locked environment. If you lived on an everglades island, the alligators might kill off the occassional walker even if the swamp conditions allowed one to find it's way through. Herds shouln't be very successfull in a swamp, since we've seen that a walker can easily get mired down in the mud back in Season Two at the farm creek.

I'm not sure at this point dealing with alligators would be easier than dealing with walkers in a 1:1 battle, but at least an alligator wouldn't be so persistent. IE -- if you climbed a tree to escape an alligator - it wouldn't still be waiting there to eat you 30 days later (or for that matter, years later.)

I'm still curious of the best way to avoid walker interaction all together --- Swiss Family Robinson style tree village won't work because a herd could just amass at the base of your tree forts --- then you are screwed with no easy food source and no way down. Ammo will eventually run out --- so you need a way for the walkers to be taken care of via natural means. Low maintenance on the survivors part is key. A safe haven, has to be something the walkers can't easily get to - perhaps a sailing ship with just a few healthy people. And surviving groups must be kept small --- because anytime you have bunches of people in one living area, seemingly no matter how safe the environment - you are likely to encounter a death at some point -- thus the risk of someone turning and attacking the community is ALWAYs present. I wish we got to see how they avoided that at Terminus. The prison was pretty good, but even that not ideal. If you locked yourself in your cell at night it worked well - but the possiblity of getting wholly trapped in a environment like that still plainly exists. I'd rather be able to esacpe in any direction than be in a prison cell with one way in and one way out.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Last edited by Archaea; 02-09-2015 at 03:41 PM.
post #7312 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
but it was stupid to be bitten that way!
Yeah, the writers want to troll us with just another unnecessary death.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #7313 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by drocpsu View Post

Also, did anyone feel like there were even MORE commercial breaks than usual?? I swear they were every 5 minutes. I actually timed it one time with the stopwatch on my phone, and it was almost exactly 5 minutes from commercial break to commercial break.
AMC = Another Million Commercials.. I agree, way too many commercials..

Ratings = 15.4 million viewers:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.2108800

post #7314 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Hmmm, do wild animals eat walkers? For instance, if they went to the Everglades, would the alligator population keep the walkers in check? It seems it would be easier to stave off hungry alligators from a central human refuge base, than walkers -- since walkers have been shown to come in herds and pretty much destroy whatever they come into contact with in any land locked environment. If you lived on an everglades island, the alligators might kill off the occassional walker even if the swamp conditions allowed one to find it's way through. Herds shouln't be very successfull in a swamp, since we've seen that a walker can easily get mired down in the mud back in Season Two at the farm creek.

I'm not sure at this point dealing with alligators would be easier than dealing with walkers in a 1:1 battle, but at least an alligator wouldn't be so persistent. IE -- if you climbed a tree to escape an alligator - it wouldn't still be waiting there to eat you 30 days later (or for that matter, years later.)

I'm still curious of the best way to avoid walker interaction all together --- Swiss Family Robinson style tree village won't work because a herd could just amass at the base of your tree forts --- then you are screwed with no easy food source and no way down. Ammo will eventually run out --- so you need a way for the walkers to be taken care of via natural means. Low maintenance on the survivors part is key. A safe haven, has to be something the walkers can't easily get to - perhaps a sailing ship with just a few healthy people. And surviving groups must be kept small --- because anytime you have bunches of people in one living area, seemingly no matter how safe the environment - you are likely to encounter a death at some point -- thus the risk of someone turning and attacking the community is ALWAYs present. I wish we got to see how they avoided that at Terminus. The prison was pretty good, but even that not ideal. If you locked yourself in your cell at night it worked well - but the possiblity of getting wholly trapped in a environment like that still plainly exists. I'd rather be able to esacpe in any direction than be in a prison cell with one way in and one way out.
Well, if Washington DC doesn't work out, they can just keep moving North and hole up here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boldt_Castle
post #7315 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 05:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1732 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:

You didn't see the steel reinforcing bar sticking up? Kind of hard for the Katana to slash through that.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7316 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
One question I have is how did Noah and his father end up in Atlanta. It's 500 miles from his home. Travel is difficult. It's not like they would use up valuable resources foraging that far from home.
post #7317 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You didn't see the steel reinforcing bar sticking up? Kind of hard for the Katana to slash through that.

post #7318 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by drocpsu View Post
Not just this show,but it seems every show just has so many commercial breaks that it just breaks up the continuity of the program.And all the channels are on the same time frame.So much for surfing, you just see more commercials.
Tack likes this.
post #7319 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
Not just this show,but it seems every show just has so many commercial breaks that it just breaks up the continuity of the program.And all the channels are on the same time frame.So much for surfing, you just see more commercials.

The worst is when the two channels you're watching "sync" on the commercial time and frequency.

I watch TWD delayed on the DVR and the fast forwarding required is ridiculous. I cant imagine trying to watch it live.
post #7320 of 8378 Old 02-09-2015, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
The worst is when the two channels you're watching "sync" on the commercial time and frequency.

I watch TWD delayed on the DVR and the fast forwarding required is ridiculous. I cant imagine trying to watch it live.
Agreed,I watch the next day and fly through the commercials.I was watching Town the other night,never saw it before.The last 45 min. of the movie had so many breaks it was hard to follow what was up.I'll rent the damn thing just to see the end.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season
Gear in this thread