"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 6212 Old 10-18-2011, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I'm on FIOS (VHO11) and I'm just going to wait for it to show up onDemand.

I sampled my recording on sunday and it was just flat out unwatchable. This has nothing to do with the grain, the compression artifcating was terrible. All of the facial features took on a waxy look, backgrounds shifted in patterns, and blacks were smeared with squares of gray.

I'd rather watch a DVD level anamorphic SD source than what was recorded Sunday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 6212 Old 10-18-2011, 03:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post

I'm on FIOS (VHO11) and I'm just going to wait for it to show up onDemand.

I sampled my recording on sunday and it was just flat out unwatchable. This has nothing to do with the grain, the compression artifcating was terrible. All of the facial features took on a waxy look, backgrounds shifted in patterns, and blacks were smeared with squares of gray.

I'd rather watch a DVD level anamorphic SD source than what was recorded Sunday.

If that is how it looked then maybe my Algolith Flea is cleaning it up just enough where it doesnt exhibit what you described. I keep the settings low. I'll have to turn it off and see what it really looks like.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #723 of 6212 Old 10-18-2011, 05:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

They should be heading to an RV park to find a more reliable vehicle. Crewcab is pointless as a base of operations. If there's nobody at Benning then what? With an RV you have a mobile safehouse that can store copious amounts of food, weapons and supplies and includes living quarters. It also means you can drive to the middle of the nowhere and away from population centers and still have facilities. As they were doing last season before the zombie pack invaded.

Agreed - they need the RV, but I totally would be heading toward the nearest RV dealership and selecting something new, like a Winnebago View, which would be about the same size, but likely far more fuel efficient and reliable. Of course, the Aspect might be a better choice since it runs on regular gas that would be more plentiful. They could nab a conversion van, but that would likely be too small and lack a toilet.

Then I'd dump that Wagoneer for a hybrid Escape.
post #724 of 6212 Old 10-19-2011, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

And nothing when they were ripping out that one's guts looking for its last dinner? I mean, that had me gagging ...

How did you miss that Rick nearly hurled a couple times during that sequence? It was pretty clear by the expressions that this was extreme, at least for the one watching.

Dan
Satisfied U-verse and DirecTV customer
post #725 of 6212 Old 10-19-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post

How did you miss that Rick nearly hurled a couple times during that sequence? It was pretty clear by the expressions that this was extreme, at least for the one watching.

Must have missed it while my eyes were crossed and watering from dry heaving ...
post #726 of 6212 Old 10-19-2011, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Must have missed it while my eyes were crossed and watering from dry heaving ...

I'm starting to wonder if this is the show for you. I feel like I'm talking to a pathologist that can't stand the sight of blood...

The blood and gore is pretty closely tied in with the series, after all. I tend to stay off rides that I know will make me want to hurl...even if they otherwise look fun.
post #727 of 6212 Old 10-19-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I'm starting to wonder if this is the show for you. I feel like I'm talking to a pathologist that can't stand the sight of blood...

The blood and gore is pretty closely tied in with the series, after all. I tend to stay off rides that I know will make me want to hurl...even if they otherwise look fun.

No, you're talking to someone who likes to joke. Guess that's not obvious enough.

If this show isn't for me, it's because the narrative is repetitive not because it's gory. I don't mind a good gross-out, but not as a substitute for an interesting storyline.
post #728 of 6212 Old 10-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedogg69 View Post

This drives me crazy. In the second episode last year, the rule was no fluid on you... at all. Now that is out the window. I think it is now where, if it helps the storyline, it is whatever they want it to be.

Was it really a rule? I think they were being cautious then, because who knows what triggers the change? We still don't know. Maybe it's something in the bite. Many questions we may never get an answer to, like why the dead in all the cars did not turn. Why they even died there.
post #729 of 6212 Old 10-19-2011, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

If you Google the show you'll read production commentary about how they compared 35, HD and 16 and preferred 16 because of the "texture" it gives. Yeah, and being cheap isn't the real reason.

Even amongst other S16 productions it still looks abysmal. Less detail than FNL with the same amount of noise. Combine that with AMCs low-bitrate and you get Burn Notice syndrome.

35mm produces great looking television and it's still used a lot. It looks cinematic and has texture. Walking Dead looks like budget filmmaking and it ruins the effects work. It's like grindhouse, without the camp exploitation and energy.

Grindhouse look doesn't look bad when you get it at a higher bitrate than what cable serves. I have the original "Crazies" which Romero shot on 16mm, on Bluray and it looks fine guy that runs the company that production takes great care on producing those discs more for the love of the films than for profits. Encoding at a lower bitrate really does make the grain look like a bunch of flying bugs.

If they want the real grindhouse look though they should use red tempura poster paint for blood.
post #730 of 6212 Old 10-19-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No, you're talking to someone who likes to joke. Guess that's not obvious enough.

No, it wasn't obvious since you can't get intent from the printed word. That's why smilies were invented - they're right above the text box. There's even one for sarcasm.

Quote:

If this show isn't for me, it's because the narrative is repetitive not because it's gory. I don't mind a good gross-out, but not as a substitute for an interesting storyline.

I'm not sure what you're expecting, then. It's a zombie drama. Compared to a lot of other related stuff, they've managed to make it go beyond simply being a zombie encounter of the week show. Instead, it's more of a road trip drama where you wonder what they'll find down the road.

Unlike a show like, say, Terra Nova, they've managed to create people you care about with interesting back stories. Heck, just like any group of people stuck together, they even get on each others nerves at times.

Sure, the show started out with all the stupid stereotypes, but they thankfully have moved well beyond that.
post #731 of 6212 Old 10-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

It's a zombie drama. Compared to a lot of other related stuff, they've managed to make it go beyond simply being a zombie encounter of the week show. Instead, it's more of a road trip drama where you wonder what they'll find down the road.

The title is interesting because obviously the show has zombies, but every one of the living characters knows that death is closing in on them too. The chance of living for days, weeks, or months in these conditions is slim given the disease, lack of supplies, and chance of attacks. These characters know they are going to die, they just don't want to admit it. The living characters are "The Walking Dead" too.
post #732 of 6212 Old 10-19-2011, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Unlike a show like, say, Terra Nova, they've managed to create people you care about with interesting back stories. Heck, just like any group of people stuck together, they even get on each others nerves at times.

Sure, the show started out with all the stupid stereotypes, but they thankfully have moved well beyond that.

I dunno. I'm not crazy about anybody on the show, except the main guy. I watch because I love seeing Atlanta and its environs as a backdrop.

As far as shows that are downbeat and grim, I much prefer American Horror Story.

CW Hinkle
post #733 of 6212 Old 10-19-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:

must have missed it while my eyes were crossed and watering from dry heaving ...

lol

Dan
Satisfied U-verse and DirecTV customer
post #734 of 6212 Old 10-19-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

I dunno. I'm not crazy about anybody on the show, except the main guy. I watch because I love seeing Atlanta and its environs as a backdrop.

As far as shows that are downbeat and grim, I much prefer American Horror Story.

so is American Horror Story pretty good then?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #735 of 6212 Old 10-19-2011, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Depends on if you like being visually assaulted by weird imagery and have no problem not having a clue what's going on when the hour ends.

post #736 of 6212 Old 10-19-2011, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
This is pretty much spot on and brilliant:
http://videogum.com/393602/the-walki...ind/tv/recaps/

My DVD Collection
GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #737 of 6212 Old 10-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Apparently tonight's 90-minute Walking Dead season premiere was originally two hour long episodes, the first written by now-fired series mastermind Frank Darabont and the second by Robert Kirkman, who co-created the Walking Dead comic book series.

The credits on tonight's 90-minute installment appear on screen thusly:

Written by Ardeth Bey (Frank Darabont)
Written by Robert Kirkman
Directed by Ernest Dickerson
Directed by Gwyneth Horder-Payton

I'm told the first 16 minutes or so of tonight's episode were cannibalized from what was supposed to be the original Darabont-scripted second-season premiere. The balance of tonight's 90 minutes comes from what was originally the subsequent season-two episode Kirkman scripted.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51622
post #738 of 6212 Old 10-19-2011, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedogg69 View Post

This is pretty much spot on and brilliant:
http://videogum.com/393602/the-walki...ind/tv/recaps/

That was awesome. I'd actually watch that show....

...oh, wait...

Anyhoo, I thought this part of the comments was hilarious:

Quote:

“We’re terrible at telling stories that makes sense.” – The Walking Dead crew.
“No no. We’re much worse.” – The Killing crew
Quote:

"Oh, no you di'int!" -True Blood crew
Quote:

“(I just) Died in Your Arms. Tonight.” – The Cutting Crew

post #739 of 6212 Old 10-19-2011, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

It must have been something they said.

post #740 of 6212 Old 10-19-2011, 07:45 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

They should be heading to an RV park to find a more reliable vehicle. Crewcab is pointless as a base of operations. If there's nobody at Benning then what? With an RV you have a mobile safehouse that can store copious amounts of food, weapons and supplies and includes living quarters. It also means you can drive to the middle of the nowhere and away from population centers and still have facilities. As they were doing last season before the zombie pack invaded.

My thought was that with a 4x4 you could fit 4-6 adults plus plenty of supplies in the truck bed and a trailer for scout vehicles. For the trip from ATL to Ft Benning there should be no shortage of farmhouses with which to hole up for the night. A truck affords you mobility, something an RV severely lacks. Only a limited set of supplies need to be carried from place to place as the zombie virus killed everyone before they could deplete all the available dried and canned goods. A fair estimate of the Atlanta population says there's no more than a few hundred survivors in the entire city, so lots of food bottled water to be found. Travel light, travel fast, travel quiet.

They also need to drop the premise of having limited firearms. There's probably 2-3 guns for every man woman & child in the US. Grab a yellowpages, find a walmart, a pawn shop, or simply check a few night-stand drawers. Plenty of guns and ammo for everyone in the land of milk and honey
post #741 of 6212 Old 10-19-2011, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromorris View Post

For the trip from ATL to Ft Benning there should be no shortage of farmhouses with which to hole up for the night.

And the moment you do that you instantly star in Night of the Living Dead.

You can't drive away in a farmhouse if you wake up surrounded.

post #742 of 6212 Old 10-20-2011, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And the moment you do that you instantly star in Night of the Living Dead.

You can't drive away in a farmhouse if you wake up surrounded.

Not only that, probably a good number of places have smelly, rotting, dead bodies laying around in them. They likely won't have electricity, either, unlike the RV which has a built in generator - and connecting a portable one is too cumbersome to keep mobile.

You can't argue with the body smacking ability a 10,000 pound vehicle gives you over a pickup that can be disabled at parking lot speeds.

Plus, the RV likely has room to carry a couple dozen gallons of potable water in its tanks, which they could have filled using the Culligan Man's truck supply they found.

Finally, the RV lets a couple people take a nap while traveling so they can perform guard duty when they stop.
post #743 of 6212 Old 10-20-2011, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not only that, probably a good number of places have smelly, rotting, dead bodies laying around in them.

And you have to take a risk every time you approach a building so it wastes further time making sure the property is safe.

post #744 of 6212 Old 10-20-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 247
RV is definitely the right choice to haul around a group in the zombie apocalypse. I know I wouldn't want to be crapping in the woods by myself when there are herds of zombies roaming around. And it's kind of a mobile fortress because the zombies don't seem to be too good at ripping things apart or breaking in. I would definitely go with the suggestion of hitting up an RV dealership and getting something that won't break down every couple of miles though.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #745 of 6212 Old 10-20-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33

Depends on if you like being visually assaulted by weird imagery and have no problem not having a clue what's going on when the hour ends.

2001 did pretty well by ambiguity.

American Horror Story travels the road blazed by Psycho and Repulsion: much of the horror comes from twisted sexuality, so it hits lots of different parts of your brain. It's imaginitive but really sick. It might wear out its welcome pretty quickly.

The Walking Dead consists of creative ways of showing zombies stalking a bunch of bickering people. It's well done but extremely unpleasant.

Both helping in the desensitizing of the American public.

CW Hinkle
post #746 of 6212 Old 10-20-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Well, I watched the pilot of AHS on demand, and dvr'd the third. Now if I could only find a way to see the 2nd episode?

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #747 of 6212 Old 10-20-2011, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Well, I watched the pilot of AHS on demand, and dvr'd the third. Now if I could only find a way to see the 2nd episode?

FX will be celebrating Halloween this year with an American Horror Story marathon. The marathon will consist of the first four episodes.

The marathon is set to air Monday, October 31st at 10:00 p.m.
post #748 of 6212 Old 10-20-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

RV is definitely the right choice to haul around a group in the zombie apocalypse. I know I wouldn't want to be crapping in the woods by myself when there are herds of zombies roaming around. And it's kind of a mobile fortress because the zombies don't seem to be too good at ripping things apart or breaking in. I would definitely go with the suggestion of hitting up an RV dealership and getting something that won't break down every couple of miles though.

A couple of these things would work well,

UNICAT Extreme All Wheel Drive RVs
post #749 of 6212 Old 10-20-2011, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

A couple of these things would work well,

UNICAT Extreme All Wheel Drive RVs

I want one now.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #750 of 6212 Old 10-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Absolutely no such issues on DirecTV, the PQ is excellent and no compressions issues at all.

Well, that's good for you but my Directv picture was rather bad, getting past the really grainy picture. Lots of problems just like others have talked about. It changed some during the show but it was rather messy, especially in dark scenes.

Course, I'm watching using a front projector on a 106" screen, but it does go through a DVDO Duo also. I did glance at it on a LCD flat panel and of course it didn't look quite as bad being smaller, but still not very good.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page