"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 250 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #7471 of 7494 Old 02-24-2015, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
I'm in the skepticism camp. I also wondered why, if the guys remark about no one being able to hear Judith out side the walls were true, how come they could hear children laughing. And they couldn't actually SEE them. It could have been a recording.

Which reminds me, in the preview scenes, where they showed shots on the interior, did they show any children? Did they show ANY people at all in the streets?

And why did new guy yell, "It's too late"? Was it simply because they were surrounded by walkers?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Didn't see anyone except the dude asking for their weapons.
Djoel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 7494 Old 02-24-2015, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Scott Ian from the band Anthrax will be a zombie in next week's show and also will be on the Talking Dead panel.
post #7473 of 7494 Old 02-24-2015, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post
Scott Ian from the band Anthrax will be a zombie in next week's show and also will be on the Talking Dead panel.
He got Caught In a zombie Mosh and lost his Efilnikufesin.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
post #7474 of 7494 Old 02-24-2015, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Trying not to spoil anything from the comics... but I don't think this spoils anything...

The prison was a secure place, except they ran into the Governor nearby. Without the governor, they could have stayed at the prison indefinitely because they had lots of room to garden and it was pretty easy to secure from the walkers.

Alexandria looks to be a gated community. That's why it would be better than your average neighborhood. IF you sweep the gated community, you have a secure neighborhood AND until the population of your camp gets too big there will be lots of houses to spread out for everyone. The gated communities usually have large houses too, so even if you shared a house with someone you'd have lots of room especially since nobody really has a lot of personal possessions anymore.

Alexandria would have the same problem as the prison, though... in that once another group finds out about it there really is only two choices... that other group wants to join and is one you want to invite in... OR they want in, and you don't want them and you have to fight it out. So you'd be really careful and selective about who you invite back to your secured camp. Rick and company weren't at the prison long enough to be going around inviting others in, though they did take in a lot of renegades from Woodbury for a while. Presumably the Alexandria camp has been around a while from the way Aaron was talking about having "done this before" meaning, Rick's group wasn't the first group they found and scouted and asked to come see the neighborhood.

Friday... the 13th!
Where I am when I'm not here!
post #7475 of 7494 Old 02-24-2015, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
Trying not to spoil anything from the comics... but I don't think this spoils anything...

The prison was a secure place, except they ran into the Governor nearby. Without the governor, they could have stayed at the prison indefinitely because they had lots of room to garden and it was pretty easy to secure from the walkers.

Alexandria looks to be a gated community. That's why it would be better than your average neighborhood. IF you sweep the gated community, you have a secure neighborhood AND until the population of your camp gets too big there will be lots of houses to spread out for everyone. The gated communities usually have large houses too, so even if you shared a house with someone you'd have lots of room especially since nobody really has a lot of personal possessions anymore.

Alexandria would have the same problem as the prison, though... in that once another group finds out about it there really is only two choices... that other group wants to join and is one you want to invite in... OR they want in, and you don't want them and you have to fight it out. So you'd be really careful and selective about who you invite back to your secured camp. Rick and company weren't at the prison long enough to be going around inviting others in, though they did take in a lot of renegades from Woodbury for a while. Presumably the Alexandria camp has been around a while from the way Aaron was talking about having "done this before" meaning, Rick's group wasn't the first group they found and scouted and asked to come see the neighborhood.
One other problem that any "community" would face is some random dude kicking off in the middle of the night and going all zom zom before it could be contained. Everyone locking themselves in their own cell is ideal.
post #7476 of 7494 Old 02-24-2015, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
After running the highway 23 sluice, they could probably use a couple bottles of Zom-Be-Gone.

post #7477 of 7494 Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
So easy, they never bothered to lock the gates. A base is only as secure as the intelligence of the people living there. That's a low bar for anyone related to this group.

Quote:
Noah's base was a gated community too. That fell easily.

A gated community's only real defense is against cars. At best some of the houses may have walls but most of the time they just have a rural buffer made of trees. Without improvised barriers they are just as easy for zombies to wander into as any other neighborhood.

If only there was a giant military base nearby with something that is mostly impregnable to intruders, like an aircraft carrier ...
taxman48 likes this.

post #7478 of 7494 Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
One other problem that any "community" would face is some random dude kicking off in the middle of the night and going all zom zom before it could be contained. Everyone locking themselves in their own cell is ideal.
If you have your own house, just lock the doors. Problem mostly solved. Keeps the zoms inside their own home or away from others. Basic procedures would keep things in check before unlocking doors in the morning.

Bars, bunkers, steel bank vaults, individual steel pods ... one way or another someone on the show will not secure a vital door and the entire community would fall apart.

post #7479 of 7494 Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I thought Aaron said that the gates to Alexandria were made from slabs of rolled cold steel? That's not what I saw!

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B / Marantz NR-1504 / SVS PC-2000 / Velodyne CHT Front Row / AppleTV 3 / Sony PS4
post #7480 of 7494 Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Safest place to hide from zombies in the US?
Basically it boils down to least populated areas.
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/...-from-zombies/

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #7481 of 7494 Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
I thought Aaron said that the gates to Alexandria were made from slabs of rolled cold steel? That's not what I saw!
Did he say the gates too or just the walls? They were looking at the photo of the walls when he mentioned it.

post #7482 of 7494 Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Not the gate. The walls!

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #7483 of 7494 Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I could have sworn he said the walls were "12 feet wide" too
post #7484 of 7494 Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
Not the gate. The walls!

Yes, walls. Making sure you guys were paying attention!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Westly-C and Turrican4D like this.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B / Marantz NR-1504 / SVS PC-2000 / Velodyne CHT Front Row / AppleTV 3 / Sony PS4
post #7485 of 7494 Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
That's why going to DC would be one of the last places I would go to.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #7486 of 7494 Old Today, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I would want to go to Cheyenee mountain. Ever read about that place? Areas for planting food, it has its own large lake inside, doors are almost impenetrable. Yeah, I would go there. Just have to make sure everyone locks their bunk doors in case they pass away at night.

post #7487 of 7494 Old Today, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post
I could have sworn he said the walls were "12 feet wide" too
Each wall segment was 12 feet wide. Not twelve feet thick.

David Forbes

Read excerpts, see cover art and more from my novels at www.davidforbes.net.

My theater
post #7488 of 7494 Old Today, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
I would want to go to Cheyenee mountain. Ever read about that place? Areas for planting food, it has its own large lake inside, doors are almost impenetrable. Yeah, I would go there. Just have to make sure everyone locks their bunk doors in case they pass away at night.
Plus it has an emergency exit that goes to hundreds of other planets!
gprace likes this.

post #7489 of 7494 Old Today, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Plus it has an emergency exit that goes to hundreds of other planets!
Good one!

post #7490 of 7494 Unread Today, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
I wouldn't bother, the place would likely have gone on lockdown pretty early on, so unless you bring the key to the front door with you...
post #7491 of 7494 Unread Today, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
I wouldn't bother, the place would likely have gone on lockdown pretty early on, so unless you bring the key to the front door with you...
Even if you cannot get inside the facility the exterior fencing and reinforced tunnel makes it a more secure location than most of the places our intrepid bunch go to.

Plus like every other military base the group ignore constantly, there could be people and authority actually living there.

post #7492 of 7494 Unread Today, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Unless I missed it, we still don't know when or why this virtually impregnable fence got built around a housing addition in the first place.
post #7493 of 7494 Unread Today, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Unless I missed it, we still don't know when or why this virtually impregnable fence got built around a housing addition in the first place.
I don't read the comics so I don't know or care what is known from them, but how do you/we know that this is just "a housing addition" ?
post #7494 of 7494 Unread Today, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I can't remember the comics since it has been a while... but I would imagine if you found a gated community that was in reasonably good shape with its all-around fencing intact... that you would check the perimeter, clear it out inside, and then work on reinforcing the walls around it. IF you had been there for a while, say in Alexandria, they may have had time to fortify the whole perimeter. If it has been say 2 years since the fallout... they could have been in Alexandria a year or more, at least whomever started settling there. The tough part would be scrounging the materials to fortify a wall that high all the way around.

The point is.. it could be done... but it probably takes a while and a lot of people.

Meanwhile... I've said before... after the initial shock and surprise of people coming back from the dead... and all the initial casualties... anyone who survived all that and is still alive, really ought to be able to move on and have regular lives again eventually. The thing is... survivors would have to cooperate and protect each other while rebuilding the world. Anyone dies, you spike their brain and bury OR cremate immediately... no waiting. Do that, and you don't have to worry about zombies back from the dead going forward. The only other major change to society would be that from now on everyone would have to sleep inside rooms that lock from the inside in case you died in your sleep or while others were asleep to prevent you from killing others... AND nobody goes anywhere alone anymore. Everybody works and goes around during the day in groups of 3 or more so that there's always someone to spike you if you die suddenly.

Then they could rebuild society back to the way it was before... but then we wouldn't have a TV series or comic to enjoy either

Friday... the 13th!
Where I am when I'm not here!
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page